Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Who is the "generation of the figtree?"

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I apologise if this question has been posted countless times before but I am curious to some feedback, also if you wouldn't mind I have a thread on the Advice/discussion board about a friends vision if some would care to give me feedback on that board as well. Thank you.:waving

I apologise if this question has been posted countless times before but I am curious to some feedback, also if you wouldn't mind I have a thread on the Advice/discussion board about a friends vision if some would care to give me feedback on that board as well. Thank you.:waving
Hello taromina2003,
Here is a the answer about the fig tree generation. A little patience is needed. It is 9 minutes long. I hope it helps:

YouTube - Full Preterism - Israel's Fig Tree

Hi there,

Understanding who they are depends on one's End Times position. So, since I am mostly of the historical preterism position (that is, partial preterist/historicist/amil) my answer would be, the generation alive around the time of the Temple destruction in 70AD.

Hi there,

Understanding who they are depends on one's End Times position. So, since I am mostly of the historical preterism position (that is, partial preterist/historicist/amil) my answer would be, the generation alive around the time of the Temple destruction in 70AD.

Thank you for your input. This preterst stuff sub, none, partial just sounds goofy to me. No offense to anyone I am trying to learn why some believe different things from the same book.

In Matt:29 Immediately after those horrible days end,

the sun will be darkened,
the moon will not give light,
the stars will fall from the sky,
and the powers of heaven will be shaken.

And then at last the Son of Man will appear in the heavens, and there will be deep mourning among all the nations of the earth. And they will see the Son of Manarrive on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.31 And he will send forth his angels with the sound of a mighty trumpet blast, and they will gather together his chosen ones from the farthest ends of the earth and heaven.

32."
now learn a lesson from the fig tree. When it's buds become ternder and its leaves begin to sprout, you know without being told that summer is near. 33 Just so, when you see the events I've described beginning to happen, you can know his return is very near, right at the door. I assure you, this generation will not pass from the scene before all these things take place. 35:Heaven and Earth will disappear, but my words will remain forever.

this does not jive with the belief of preterism does it? please explain

Mat 23:32 Fill ye up then the measure of your fathers.
Mat 23:33 Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?
Mat 23:34 Wherefore, behold, I send unto you prophets, and wise men, and scribes: and some of them ye shall kill and crucify; and some of them shall ye scourge in your synagogues, and persecute them from city to city:
Mat 23:35 That upon you may come all the righteous blood shed upon the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel unto the blood of Zacharias son of Barachias, whom ye slew between the temple and the altar.
Mat 23:36 Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation.

Mat 24:34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

for my thinking Matt 24 is a continuation of 23

The Words of our Lord are very clear

generation can mean people or race
Regardless what race they are or who they are they are still part of a generation

gen·er·a·tion/ˌjenəˈrāSHən/Noun
1. All of the people born and living at about the same time, regarded collectively: "one of his generation's finest songwriters".
2. The average period, generally considered to be about thirty years, during which children grow up and have children of their own.

It always amazes me that the very simple words "This Generation" are not that generation.

When i hear/read that i see a disregard for the teaching of Jesus.

It always amazes me that the very simple words "This Generation" are not that generation.

When i hear/read that i see a disregard for the teaching of Jesus.
OK how about which generation, I have been taught that we are the generation of the Fig tree, that generation beginning in 1948 when Israel became an independent state. Which makes sense but I'm always opened to others interpretations.

Mat 23:32 Fill ye up then the measure of your fathers.
Mat 23:33 Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?
Mat 23:34 Wherefore, behold, I send unto you prophets, and wise men, and scribes: and some of them ye shall kill and crucify; and some of them shall ye scourge in your synagogues, and persecute them from city to city:
Mat 23:35 That upon you may come all the righteous blood shed upon the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel unto the blood of Zacharias son of Barachias, whom ye slew between the temple and the altar.
Mat 23:36 Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation.

Mat 24:34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

I would say (this) generation was the one that ended 70 ad. Who had the temple who had the altar. Christ died for my sin and yours BUT the Jewish leaders, of that generation set Him up for death. We have no king but Ceaser crucify him crucify him

God gave grace to many folks through transformation from Temple life, sacrifices, etc. to what we call Christianity..

Just as Paul stated in his letter to the Romans, the Lord hasn’t forgotten Israel. She will have one more chance to bear fruit for her Messiah, and this opportunity is the key to understanding the hour of Christ’s return. Jesus illustrates this when He tells a parable about a planted fig tree:

“Then Jesus used this illustration: ‘A man planted a fig tree in his garden and came again and again to see if there was any fruit on it, but he was always disappointed. Finally, he said to his gardener, ‘I’ve waited three years, and there hasn’t been a single fig! Cut it down. It’s taking up space we can use for something else.’ The gardener answered, ‘Give it one more chance. Leave it another year, and I’ll give it special attention and plenty of fertilizer. If we get figs next year, fine. If not, you can cut it down.’” Luke 13:6-9 (NLT)

For three years, Jesus spread His message throughout Israel, performing miracles, exhibiting unprecedented knowledge of the Scriptures, and offering ample evidence of His claim to be the long awaited Messiah. Yet despite three years of testimony, Israel refused to believe in the one who was sent.

According to this parable, Israel will get one more year with “special attention and plenty of fertilizer.” If she still fails to bear fruit, she will be cut down (destroyed).

As Jesus reveals, Israel will be given a final chance to exhibit faith in Him in the last days, just prior to His Glorious Appearing. To do so, Israel must first become a nation once again, a miraculous feat which took place in May 1948. The reestablishment of Israel as a nation is the foremost sign to our generation that Christ return is imminent. And that’s why the fig tree is the key to understanding which generation will witness the Second Coming of Jesus Christ. Through the nation of Israel, God has given the world a sign that is impossible to ignore. Nevertheless, most of the world has chosen to ignore it.

The Sign of Our Generation
In the Olivet Discourse (Matthew 24), Jesus revealed to His disciples that the primary sign of the end of the age and His soon return would be the restoration of Israel as a nation. However, He didn’t plainly say so. Instead, He once again used the fig tree as a metaphor for the nation of Israel:

“Now learn a lesson from the fig tree. When its buds become tender and its leaves begin to sprout, you know without being told that summer is near. Just so, when you see the events I’ve described beginning to happen, you can know his return is very near, right at the door. I assure you, this generation will not pass from the scene before all these things take place. Heaven and earth will disappear, but my words will remain forever.” Matthew 24:32-35 (NLT)

The fig tree is Israel. It’s been six decades since Israel was once again declared a nation against all worldly odds. In Matthew 24, Jesus promises that the generation which witnesses the reestablishment of Israel will not die off until the end of the age comes to pass. Given the Bible’s impeccable track record, we have every reason to expect His imminent return. Jesus will return soon, within our generation, and a wise person will prepare accordingly.

Just as the time of His first coming was clearly revealed to the previous generation, the season of His Return has been clearly revealed to ours. The previous generation was unprepared for His arrival. Ours should be watching with a patient and enduring faith, fully confident in the glory we are about to witness. Christ is coming. The fig tree is in bloom, and ours is the generation.

Jesus and the Fig Tree

Just as Paul stated in his letter to the Romans, the Lord hasn’t forgotten Israel. She will have one more chance to bear fruit for her Messiah, and this opportunity is the key to understanding the hour of Christ’s return. Jesus illustrates this when He tells a parable about a planted fig tree:

“Then Jesus used this illustration: ‘A man planted a fig tree in his garden and came again and again to see if there was any fruit on it, but he was always disappointed. Finally, he said to his gardener, ‘I’ve waited three years, and there hasn’t been a single fig! Cut it down. It’s taking up space we can use for something else.’ The gardener answered, ‘Give it one more chance. Leave it another year, and I’ll give it special attention and plenty of fertilizer. If we get figs next year, fine. If not, you can cut it down.’†Luke 13:6-9 (NLT)

For three years, Jesus spread His message throughout Israel, performing miracles, exhibiting unprecedented knowledge of the Scriptures, and offering ample evidence of His claim to be the long awaited Messiah. Yet despite three years of testimony, Israel refused to believe in the one who was sent.

According to this parable, Israel will get one more year with “special attention and plenty of fertilizer.†If she still fails to bear fruit, she will be cut down (destroyed).

As Jesus reveals, Israel will be given a final chance to exhibit faith in Him in the last days, just prior to His Glorious Appearing. To do so, Israel must first become a nation once again, a miraculous feat which took place in May 1948. The reestablishment of Israel as a nation is the foremost sign to our generation that Christ return is imminent. And that’s why the fig tree is the key to understanding which generation will witness the Second Coming of Jesus Christ. Through the nation of Israel, God has given the world a sign that is impossible to ignore. Nevertheless, most of the world has chosen to ignore it.

The Sign of Our Generation
In the Olivet Discourse (Matthew 24), Jesus revealed to His disciples that the primary sign of the end of the age and His soon return would be the restoration of Israel as a nation. However, He didn’t plainly say so. Instead, He once again used the fig tree as a metaphor for the nation of Israel:

“Now learn a lesson from the fig tree. When its buds become tender and its leaves begin to sprout, you know without being told that summer is near. Just so, when you see the events I’ve described beginning to happen, you can know his return is very near, right at the door. I assure you, this generation will not pass from the scene before all these things take place. Heaven and earth will disappear, but my words will remain forever.†Matthew 24:32-35 (NLT)

The fig tree is Israel. It’s been six decades since Israel was once again declared a nation against all worldly odds. In Matthew 24, Jesus promises that the generation which witnesses the reestablishment of Israel will not die off until the end of the age comes to pass. Given the Bible’s impeccable track record, we have every reason to expect His imminent return. Jesus will return soon, within our generation, and a wise person will prepare accordingly.

Just as the time of His first coming was clearly revealed to the previous generation, the season of His Return has been clearly revealed to ours. The previous generation was unprepared for His arrival. Ours should be watching with a patient and enduring faith, fully confident in the glory we are about to witness. Christ is coming. The fig tree is in bloom, and ours is the generation.

Jesus and the Fig Tree
Thats what I was taught.:waving

Phew-1.jpg

Hi there,

Hey there,

If the Generation of the fig tree was the generation of 70ad , that would mean all the things Jesus talked about would have already happen in that generation.

34Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

Jesus said all these things would happen before the generation passed, well the generation of 70 AD is long gone and this has happened.

31And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other

this hasnt happen

29Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:

this hasnt happen

15When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:)

There is no way Jesus was speaking about the generation of 70ad....

I think you best look at what Jesus said instead of the Dispy teachers,

Matt.21:43,
43Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof.

God's theocratic relationship with Israel ended in AD70.

And also read my 9 min. you-tube link again.

Dispensationalism is anti-Biblical. And that's why it has lost much popularity. It's a lie & ppl are realizing it!

Over & out.

Me too along time ago.... :)

So why did Jesus say THIS generation why not THE As in THE generation that does xyz. To my thinking scriptures are taken out of context to be used to build that theology... I grew up on it it didn't hurt me... It is not unto salvation. Be blessed in your thoughts!

Matt Henery's thoughts

Mat 23:34-39
Our Lord declares the miseries the inhabitants of Jerusalem were about to bring upon themselves, but he does not notice the sufferings he was to undergo. A hen gathering her chickens under her wings, is an apt emblem of the Saviour's tender love to those who trust in him, and his faithful care of them. He calls sinners to take refuge under his tender protection, keeps them safe, and nourishes them to eternal life. The present dispersion and unbelief of the Jews, and their future conversion to Christ, were here foretold. Jerusalem and her children had a large share of guilt, and their punishment has been signal. But ere long, deserved vengeance will fall on every church which is Christian in name only. In the mean time the Saviour stands ready to receive all who come to him. There is nothing between sinners and eternal happiness, but their proud and unbelieving unwillingness.

I think you best look at what Jesus said instead of the Dispy teachers,

Matt.21:43,
43Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof.

God's theocratic relationship with Israel ended in AD70.

And also read my 9 min. you-tube link again.

Dispensationalism is anti-Biblical. And that's why it has lost much popularity. It's a lie & ppl are realizing it!

Over & out.

God's relationship with Israel is not ended.

Dispensationalism is simply one way to track God's working with man since the beginning.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back