Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Who is the "generation of the figtree?"

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Wait minute not so fast,if the generation that saw Israel become a nation is the generation that shall not pass away,and a generation is seventy years, then 2018 is that 70 year generation from 1948 that shall not pass way, not 1948 itself.

First let me say that time frame for a generation was considered whatever the average life span was for people and that has changed many times since Adam, then we have a reference where God is talking about the children of Israel wondering in the wilderness and say's that he bore with them in the midst of a generation, midst means during, but he bore with them the whole 40 years,catch my drift?
I have another reference below as you shall see for the 70 year generation.

Then remember in matthew 24 where Jesus tells us about all of the signs and how they are the beginning of sorrows and the labour pains just before the tribulation period and in verse 22 he say's And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved:but for the elects sake those days shall be shortened.

Now check out psalms 90:10 but before we do remember a score is 20 years,remember the above verse about the days being shortened and the sorrow and labour.

Now on to the scripture. The days of our years are threescore years and ten: and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labour and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away!

a score is 20 years,you can google it, there are threescores which equal 60 plus the ten =70 and the fourscore is eighty years but it is soon cut off or shortened
due to the sorrow and labour, and we fly away!

thumbs_up-1-1.jpg

Wait minute not so fast,if the generation that saw Israel become a nation is the generation that shall not pass away,and a generation is seventy years, then 2018 is that 70 year generation from 1948 that shall not pass way, not 1948 itself.

First let me say that time frame for a generation was considered whatever the average life span was for people and that has changed many times since Adam, then we have a reference where God is talking about the children of Israel wondering in the wilderness and say's that he bore with them in the midst of a generation, midst means during, but he bore with them the whole 40 years,catch my drift?
I have another reference below as you shall see for the 70 year generation.

Then remember in matthew 24 where Jesus tells us about all of the signs and how they are the beginning of sorrows and the labour pains just before the tribulation period and in verse 22 he say's And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved:but for the elects sake those days shall be shortened.

Now check out psalms 90:10 but before we do remember a score is 20 years,remember the above verse about the days being shortened and the sorrow and labour.

Now on to the scripture. The days of our years are threescore years and ten: and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labour and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away!

a score is 20 years,you can google it, there are threescores which equal 60 plus the ten =70 and the fourscore is eighty years but it is soon cut off or shortened
due to the sorrow and labour, and we fly away!

As i implyed in my post the numbers change all the time.... We could post newspaper headlines from years past and some one would say Look at that Jesus will come soon....

It is not as if i haven't heard all you say before i have heard it and heard man after man has said it this preacher and that preacher. Over and over but the preacher man is not my teacher.

As i implyed in my post the numbers change all the time.... We could post newspaper headlines from years past and some one would say Look at that Jesus will come soon....

It is not as if i haven't heard all you say before i have heard it and heard man after man has said it this preacher and that preacher. Over and over but the preacher man is not my teacher.

well I am not a preacher and I was not quoting a preacher,but the scriptures i gave you do answer your dillemma pertaining to your reasons for not believing, due to the generation time confusion ,so I really don't understand your reply. did you even read what psalms 90:10 says?

your reference to the numbers changing have nothing to do with the facts of the bible showing that the number of the years in a generation do in fact change,
because God made a change in the average life span of people over the years.

do you disagree with this or are people today living to be an average of 120 years old and I just have not heard about it ?

I say this because at one time in history 120 yrs was the average life span and that was the length of time for a generation then.

I do not wish to change your beliefs just for the sake of it, but at least except a new thought through the scriptures that are plain as day before you, don't base your beliefs on your dissapointments based off a flawed belief of a generation being 40 years just because some preacher told you it was.

{28} "Truly I say to you, there are some of those who are standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom." Matthew 16:28 (NASB)

Either Christ was mistaken, lying, or people's understanding in 2011 of what He meant when He said these words is completely wrong.

I choose to believe Christ was neither lying nor mistaken. So that leaves.....:chin

{28} "Truly I say to you, there are some of those who are standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom." Matthew 16:28 (NASB)

Either Christ was mistaken, lying, or people's understanding in 2011 of what He meant when He said these words is completely wrong.

I choose to believe Christ was neither lying nor mistaken. So that leaves.....:chin

I was sure looking for that verse earlier! Amen He is not a man that He should lie.

I was sure looking for that verse earlier! Amen He is not a man that He should lie.

I was hoping to have an actual conversation with you, that being said, I am new here and I don't really know where you are coming from as far as your beliefs,

so i will just have to guess, if you are one that say's that all of the prophecies have been fullfilled ,then how do you explain Isaiah chap 17, which tells us that Damascus will be destoyed in such a mannner that it will be a ruinous heap and is taken away from being a city and that no man will ever walk through it again.

because as you say, our God does not lie.

So please take note of the fact that Damascus is stll a thriving city today and is still the capital of Syria today.

if you do not wish to have a conversation, just say so, and i will move on to someone who does.

I will respond to the fallacy of dispensationalism ONCE. I won't argue with Tommy Ice, or feed his pockets!
Dispensationalism is losing popularity bc ppl are realizing it was made up fiction 200 yrs. ago. Whereas, the apostolic church started with Preterism.

Your answer................

Isaiah 17 - The Burden Against Syria and Israel

A. A prophecy of doom upon Syria and Israel.

1. (1-6) The Lord speaks to Damascus and Ephraim.

The burden against Damascus. “Behold, Damascus will cease from being a city, and it will be a ruinous heap. The cities of Aroer are forsaken; they will be for flocks which lie down, and no one will make them afraid. The fortress also will cease from Ephraim, the kingdom from Damascus, and the remnant of Syria; they will be as the glory of the children of Israel,†says the Lord of hosts. “In that day it shall come to pass that the glory of Jacob will wane, and the fatness of his flesh grow lean. It shall be as when the harvester gathers the grain, and reaps the heads with his arm; It shall be as he who gathers heads of grain In the Valley of Rephaim. Yet gleaning grapes will be left in it, like the shaking of an olive tree, two or three olives at the top of the uppermost bough, four or five in its most fruitful branches,†says the Lord God of Israel.

a. Damascus is one of the great cities of the ancient world, and the capital of the ancient nation of Syria. Syria is positioned to the immediate north-east of Israel, and the northern tribes, around the Sea of Galilee, had constant contact and interaction with Syria.

b. Behold, Damascus will cease from being a city, and it will be an ruinous heap: Damascus was one of the most beautiful cities of the ancient world, but the coming Assyrian judgment would reduce it to a heap of ruins.

c. The fortress will also cease from Ephraim: As is often the case, the northern kingdom of Israel is referred to by its dominate tribe, Ephraim. At this time, Israel and Syria were closely aligned against Judah. Since they are such close friends, God will announce His judgment against Ephraim, against Israel, at the same time He speaks to Syria! 2 Kings 15:29 and 16:9 describe the fulfillment of this prophecy.

I will respond to the fallacy of dispensationalism ONCE. I won't argue with Tommy Ice, or feed his pockets!
Dispensationalism is losing popularity bc ppl are realizing it was made up fiction 200 yrs. ago. Whereas, the apostolic church started with Preterism.

Your answer................

Isaiah 17 - The Burden Against Syria and Israel

A. A prophecy of doom upon Syria and Israel.

1. (1-6) The Lord speaks to Damascus and Ephraim.

The burden against Damascus. “Behold, Damascus will cease from being a city, and it will be a ruinous heap. The cities of Aroer are forsaken; they will be for flocks which lie down, and no one will make them afraid. The fortress also will cease from Ephraim, the kingdom from Damascus, and the remnant of Syria; they will be as the glory of the children of Israel,” says the Lord of hosts. “In that day it shall come to pass that the glory of Jacob will wane, and the fatness of his flesh grow lean. It shall be as when the harvester gathers the grain, and reaps the heads with his arm; It shall be as he who gathers heads of grain In the Valley of Rephaim. Yet gleaning grapes will be left in it, like the shaking of an olive tree, two or three olives at the top of the uppermost bough, four or five in its most fruitful branches,” says the Lord God of Israel.

a. Damascus is one of the great cities of the ancient world, and the capital of the ancient nation of Syria. Syria is positioned to the immediate north-east of Israel, and the northern tribes, around the Sea of Galilee, had constant contact and interaction with Syria.

b. Behold, Damascus will cease from being a city, and it will be an ruinous heap: Damascus was one of the most beautiful cities of the ancient world, but the coming Assyrian judgment would reduce it to a heap of ruins.

c. The fortress will also cease from Ephraim: As is often the case, the northern kingdom of Israel is referred to by its dominate tribe, Ephraim. At this time, Israel and Syria were closely aligned against Judah. Since they are such close friends, God will announce His judgment against Ephraim, against Israel, at the same time He speaks to Syria! 2 Kings 15:29 and 16:9 describe the fulfillment of this prophecy.

I read the whole of 2 kings 15 and 16, just so I would not miss anything

and there was not one reference including your verse 16:9 where Damascus is destroyed and becomes a ruinous heap,I see in verse 9 that it was taken captive

you know as well as i do that when a prophecy is given it is fullfilled to the letter.

now for some of my own copy and paste.

Damascus will one day be completely destroyed and left uninhabitable . . .

Syria is almost a 'city-state' with much of its population living in and around the city of Damascus. Some historians and archaeologists believe Damascus may be the oldest continually inhabited city in the world and there is no record in ancient history of it ever being fully destroyed. Syria is also the home of many Islamic terrorist groups and its army invaded and has occupied Lebanon for almost 30 years. Currently, Syria (with Iran) is supporting the Hizbollah in southern Lebanon against Israel. Syria, like the rest of Israel's Islamic neighbors hate Israel, have invaded and attacked Israel on several occasions, and have publicly called for the destruction of Israel. It is interesting to note that recently an Israeli general, on commenting on the growing threat of Syria, said the easiest thing to do to protect Israel from Syria would be to drop a nuclear bomb on Damascus . . .

BTW, Where will you stand when you see Damascus really become a ruinous heap?

oracleagainstDamascas.png

Source:

The IVP Bible background commentary: Old Testament

By John H. Walton, Victor Harold Matthews, Mark William Chavalas

Linked from here.

"...and the destruction of Damascus in 732 [BC], as recorded in the Assyrian Annals, was massive, leaving hundreds of sites looking "like hills over which the flood had swept." This widespread destruction also included both the reduction of much of the city of Damascus to rubble..."
"Ruinous heap" sounds about right to me.

I bumped this thread up just to show another (Preterist) interpretation of the "fig tree"

I already know dispy fictional story!

Generation 'singular' tense is used many times by Jesus in the N.T. Gospels.

Few understand what that means including myself after many years of study.

The dots eventually connected for me on this exact matter, and in retrospect, the dots were already there to determine 'who' that generation is:

The first volley of the singular tense was here:

Genesis 7:1
And the LORD said unto Noah, Come thou and all thy house into the ark; for thee have I seen righteous before me in this generation.

Largely, the term generations 'plural' is used and applied to generations of mankind, particularly to the people of Israel in the O.T. Where one sees the term singular it is in the likewise context of 'from generation to generation' or 'to the third and fourth generation' again showing plural generations.

To see a clearer determination, one should fast forward to the N.T. Gospels and see 'how' and 'to whom' Jesus applied the usage of the 'singular tense.'

Jesus' Words will provide 'the answer' to this matter quite succinctly:

Matthew 12:34
O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.

Matthew 12:39
But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:

Matthew 12:45
Then goeth he, and taketh with himself seven other spirits more wicked than himself, and they enter in and dwell there: and the last state of that man is worse than the first. Even so shall it be also untothis wicked generation.

If the brilliant thought is coming to you, child of God, that Jesus is talking about wicked, evil, adulterous spirits, then pat your good self on the back because that is exactly unto 'whom' this singular term 'generation' is applied to above.

Too often when 'many' read the text, they utterly fail to divide that Gods Words do factually address entities that we cannot 'see' with physical eyes. These are 'spiritually' discerned and depicted. There really is no other way to 'see' them. You may see 'their' acts or 'their' words, but you cannot see 'them' physically. Dig?

Let's put the nail in the coffin on this matter:

Matthew 17:17
Then Jesus answered and said, O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you? how long shall I suffer you? bring him hither to me.

Matthew 23:33
Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?

Mark 8:38
Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

Luke 11:50
That the blood of all the prophets, which was shed from the foundation of the world, may be required of this generation

Luke 16:8
And the lord commended the unjust steward, because he had done wisely: for the children of this world are in their generation wiser than the children of light.

Luke 17:25
But first must he suffer many things, and be rejected of this generation.

The bottom line is that there is 'an evil' generation that began with the serpent, the Devil, Satan, who began 'his' singular tense 'generation' who has not 'yet' passed away. That is the generation that should be clearly in view on this matter.
Matthew 16:28
Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.

Luke 9:27
But I tell you of a truth, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God.

Were there 'wicked spirits' in people in Jesus Days? Assuredly so!

Then 'look' at 'them' in the Light of Jesus Words and you will know 'who' He is talking to and about.

Yes, these of this 'generation' will still be standing here when Jesus comes to eradicate them with Fire! And they shall 'see Him' return to finish this matter and yes, 'this generation' shall see 'all these things' come to pass:

Revelation 1:7
Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.

And where might this 'generation' be currently? Why, in mankind! Can you not 'see' them? The fact of this 'generation' being in and upon mankind as a separate entity is quite well depicted throughout the N.T. If you can not see them, there is also a reason for that:

2 Corinthians 4:4
In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

Jesus forgave the men who murdered Him. But Jesus never forgave the wicked spirits upon and in those men who 'caused' them to sin. These will be dealt with at Thee End.

See this way and you will never again see the same...

enjoy!

smaller

Its much more likely Jesus forgave the Roman soldiers as He had already condemned the apostate priests.

The rest dosnt deserve comment.

smaller,
You almost got it right, but I see, not quite. It's over. That evil generation did pass - as THEY (the 1st century Jews) it was required of them-ALL the blood shed from Abel to Zech., just as Jesus said.
What did Jesus say here?:
But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:
What generation got that sign, smaller? Matt.12:40 NIV,
For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Even in the Jewish apocrypha of 1Enoch, Christ was to return in that generation!

"According to 1 Enoch 10.12, this judgment was to occur “seventy generations” from Enoch, during which time the angels who sinned were to be kept in bonds “until the day of the consummation, the great judgment in which the age shall be consummated” (16.1-2). It should be noted that according to Luke (who claims to have “traced the course of all things accurately from the first” in Luke 1.1-4), there are exactly seventy generations from the generation of Enoch to the generation of Jesus Christ (Luke 3.23-37). In other words, it would not have been presumptuous for Jude to claim that 1 Enoch addressed the concerns of the Christians to whom he wrote. The generation of Jesus Christ had not yet passed away."

Its much more likely Jesus forgave the Roman soldiers as He had already condemned the apostate priests.

Exactly. I don't think I've ever seen a train derail as fast or as badly as that one did. :shame

smaller,
You almost got it right, but I see, not quite. It's over. That evil generation did pass - as THEY (the 1st century Jews) it was required of them-ALL the blood shed from Abel to Zech., just as Jesus said.
What did Jesus say here?:
What generation got that sign, smaller? Matt.12:40 NIV,
For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Sorry, can't accept the preterist views on these matters. They are largely void of the exercise I went through in my last post i.e. they don't get it. And there are reasons why people don't get it. See 2 Cor. 4:4. Even believers are largely blinded to the presence of devils in relationship to their own sins. You also only see Jews. Jesus saw children of the devil upon those people and addressed them in people. Because of this fact it remains quite pointless to not see 'that' evil generation which has not yet passed away.
Even in the Jewish apocrypha of 1Enoch, Christ was to return in that generation!

Thee end is depicted by Paul succinctly in 1 Cor. 15:28. This has not yet transpired. The devil and his messengers have not yet been cast into the Lake of Fire. This is yet to come.
"According to 1 Enoch 10.12, this judgment was to occur “seventy generations†from Enoch, during which time the angels who sinned were to be kept in bonds “until the day of the consummation, the great judgment in which the age shall be consummated†(16.1-2). It should be noted that according to Luke (who claims to have “traced the course of all things accurately from the first†in Luke 1.1-4), there are exactly seventy generations from the generation of Enoch to the generation of Jesus Christ (Luke 3.23-37). In other words, it would not have been presumptuous for Jude to claim that 1 Enoch addressed the concerns of the Christians to whom he wrote. The generation of Jesus Christ had not yet passed away."

See it however you wish. Doesn't matter to me. If the preterist views made sense, I would listen to them, but they don't.

s

It's a common malady among believers when they read John 8:44 and they think Jesus was only talking to men when in fact by His Own Words He clearly addressed children of the devil.

It is not possible for Jews as men alone to be children of the devil as the scriptures also clearly teach them all to be children of God. See Deut. 14:1 or Psalm 82:6 for the fact of this matter. It hasn't changed and Gods children are not devils, but are in fact blinded by the god of this world, which again places a completely different entity upon their minds that is not them. Paul points to this exact matter as well in Romans 11:8 showing that God placed upon them a spirit of slumber so they could not believe. The spirit of slumber is not them either.

enjoy!

smaller

So you don't believe that Someone died & made you boss?!!!!

We give something more power by believing in it. We are quite capable of creating our own evil & demons.

If you seriously close your mind - you will never find answers & peace about Biblical prophecies. That's a direct word of wisdom from me to you- so suit yourself. I understand the egos which cannot admit it publicly now. But they will at another time!

That's another "word of knowledge" directly from me to you!

Wow, I'm really in the Spirit now & must walk away awhile from this resistance.

It's a common malady among believers when they read John 8:44 and they think Jesus was only talking to men when in fact by His Own Words He clearly addressed children of the devil.

It is not possible for Jews as men alone to be children of the devil as the scriptures also clearly teach them all to be children of God. See Deut. 14:1 or Psalm 82:6 for the fact of this matter. It hasn't changed and Gods children are not devils, but are in fact blinded by the god of this world, which again places a completely different entity upon their minds that is not them. Paul points to this exact matter as well in Romans 11:8 showing that God placed upon them a spirit of slumber so they could not believe. The spirit of slumber is not them either.

enjoy!

smaller
You have been misinformed, this is not the TwilightZone

So you don't believe that Someone died & made you boss?!!!!

We give something more power by believing in it. We are quite capable of creating our own evil & demons.

If you seriously close your mind - you will never find answers & peace about Biblical prophecies. That's a direct word of wisdom from me to you- so suit yourself. I understand the egos which cannot admit it publicly now. But they will at another time!

That's another "word of knowledge" directly from me to you!

Wow, I'm really in the Spirit now & must walk away awhile from this resistance.

Clearly Jesus pinned that 'generation' as being vipers and serpents.

Do the math.

I'll pass on commenting on your 'word of knowledge.'

s

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back