Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Who was this person?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Angel

Mark 14:50-52 (NLT)

50 Then all his disciples deserted him and ran away.

51 One young man following behind was clothed only in a long linen shirt. When the mob tried to grab him,

52 he slipped out of his shirt and ran away naked.

Dear Sister Angel, there is no certainty as to the identity of the young naked man of Mark 14:52, but here are some ideas presented by different commentaries.
http://biblehub.com/commentaries/mark/14-51.htm

This may be of help when you’re searching for such information, and that is to Google your question such as I did with this one: “Who was the naked young man from Mark 14:52?”, and it produced the Bible Hub commentaries above. At least this method gets me heading in the right direction many times. :)

It is my opinion that this man lived in a house nearby the garden. He perhaps was the owner of the garden. The man was probably asleep, and the commotion raised up by the Roman Soldiers as they progress to arrest Jesus, woke this man up. Being startled by such a noise, went to the garden in just his linen sleep attire to see what was happening. He was probably not a Disciple.

Amos 2:16 And he that is courageous among the mighty shall flee away naked in that day, saith the LORD.

Mark 14: 51 And there followed him a certain young man, having a linen cloth cast about his naked body; and the young men laid hold on him: 52 And he left the linen cloth, and fled from them naked.

Amos may give us a clue as to who this young man was as being a soldier as in Mark 14:51 this young man laid hold on him, which IMO I believe it reads, the young man laid hold on Jesus, but possibly virtue might have gone out of Jesus like it did with the woman with the issue of blood, and this young man being a soldier fled in fear and for some reason the linen cloth he was wearing fell off as he was fleeing. :shrug

Mar 14:50 - And they all forsook him, and fled.
Mar 14:51 ¶ And there followed him a certain young man, having a linen cloth cast about his naked body; and the young men laid hold on him:
Mar 14:52 - And he left the linen cloth, and fled from them naked.​

Saint Mark is describing himself as a young boy witnessing the events in person, and metaphorically illustrating the shame(nakedness) he assumed when abandoning Jesus(and therefore the righteousness given him through his association with Jesus, symbolized by his linen garment) just like all the disciples.

Dear Sister Angel, there is no certainty as to the identity of the young naked man of Mark 14:52, but here are some ideas presented by different commentaries.
http://biblehub.com/commentaries/mark/14-51.htm

This may be of help when you’re searching for such information, and that is to Google your question such as I did with this one: “Who was the naked young man from Mark 14:52?”, and it produced the Bible Hub commentaries above. At least this method gets me heading in the right direction many times. :)
I have the same thought process in my study Bible.
The Lord had returned to Bethany each preceding night of that week...
Because Lazarus would be looking out...
The linen robe, betokening his social position....
And especially because he was wanted....
The chief priests consulted that they might put Lazarus also to death...John 12:10
So I would say, probably Lazarus.

That is the general consensus, and "young man" would be more appropriate.

It's down to cultural differences. Today we don't necessarily consider everyone who has had their Bar Mitzvah to be a man. He was probably a young teenager.

That is the general consensus, and "young man" would be more appropriate.
Mar 14:50 - And they all forsook him, and fled.
Mar 14:51 ¶ And there followed him a certain young man, having a linen cloth cast about his naked body; and the young men laid hold on him:
Mar 14:52 - And he left the linen cloth, and fled from them naked.​

Saint Mark is describing himself as a young boy witnessing the events in person, and metaphorically illustrating the shame(nakedness) he assumed when abandoning Jesus(and therefore the righteousness given him through his association with Jesus, symbolized by his linen garment) just like all the disciples.
Question..
Why would they lay hold of Mark?
No other disciples were targets..
They were not arrested...

Mark, being younger, may have seemed easy pickings among Jesus' followers in the commotion of the ear violence, before Jesus suggested His followers be allowed to scatter instead of being arrested.

Jhn 18:7 - Then asked he them again, Whom seek ye? And they said, Jesus of Nazareth.
Jhn 18:8 - Jesus answered, I have told you that I am he: if therefore ye seek me, let these go their way:
Jhn 18:9 - That the saying might be fulfilled, which he spake, Of them which thou gavest me have I lost none.​

Regardless, I see Mark 14:51,52 as a parenthesis describing Mark's own participation in Mark 14:50, as either figuratively, literally, or both, being stripped of his dignity as he abandoned his Messiah.

Mark, being younger, may have seemed easy pickings among Jesus' followers in the commotion of the ear violence, before Jesus suggested His followers be allowed to scatter instead of being arrested.

Jhn 18:7 - Then asked he them again, Whom seek ye? And they said, Jesus of Nazareth.
Jhn 18:8 - Jesus answered, I have told you that I am he: if therefore ye seek me, let these go their way:
Jhn 18:9 - That the saying might be fulfilled, which he spake, Of them which thou gavest me have I lost none.​

Regardless, I see Mark 14:51,52 as a parenthesis describing Mark's own participation in Mark 14:50, as either figuratively, literally, or both, being stripped of his dignity as he abandoned his Messiah.
Thanks for your reply,
Very probable..

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back