Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, "unworthily,"

There is no certain time to do it but there is a certain time NOT to do it?
I'm afraid you have lost me.
If, as you say, we can do it "anytime", what prohibition is there to doing it every week?

There isn't any prohibition to how often you eat and drink in remembrance of Jesus. Period.

I'ld rather remember, and give thanks for, the Lord's body and blood every week than with a once a year ritual.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no certain time to do it but there is a certain time NOT to do it?
I'm afraid you have lost me.
If, as you say, we can do it "anytime", what prohibition is there to doing it every week?

There is no prohibition to eating the Lord's supper every week, or as often as you wish.

1 Corinthians 11:27
Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. special emphasis on unworthy .. i am a bit skeptical of posting this ..so much left field theology floating around...

what in your own words do you describe unworthy . first things FIRST NONE OF US ARE WORTHY. our worthiness comes Through Grace what Christ done for us . i am looking for real Bible discussion on the subject
Does the context of the verse provide any insight into the meaning of "unworthily"? Seems there's a lot of good clues in the passage, i.e. 1 Corinthians 11:17-34

Last edited:
1 Corinthians 11:27
Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. special emphasis on unworthy .. i am a bit skeptical of posting this ..so much left field theology floating around...

what in your own words do you describe unworthy . first things FIRST NONE OF US ARE WORTHY. our worthiness comes Through Grace what Christ done for us . i am looking for real Bible discussion on the subject

What is eating the elements of communion in an unworthy manner.

In my opinion the attitude you display in this thread is an unworthy attitude.
Only your opinion is correct all others ar wrong or heretical.

Not once have you justified your views with scripture and you,be dismissed all others use of scripture as irrelevant.

The theme is what is an unworthy manner?

That could be an arrogant or proud attitude, having unacknowledged sins in one's life, being in a toxic relationship with a friend or relative, basically anything that in one's life that cheapens Jesus's sacrifice for us.

It is why prior to celebrating communion there is often a pause so we can sort out selves out.

Doesn't scripture tell us that if we wronged anyone to go to them and repair our wrong before we partake of the Lord's supper.
I believe you might be thing of Mark 11:25, 26 about forgiving others before you pray.

1 Cor 11:23 For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:
1 Cor 11:24 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.
1 Cor 11:25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.
1 Cor 11:26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.
1 Cor 11:27 Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.
1 Cor 11:28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.
1 Cor 11:29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.
1 Cor 11:30 For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.
1 Cor 11:31 For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.
1 Cor 11:32 But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.

1 Cor 11:33 Wherefore, my brethren, when ye come together to eat, tarry one for another.
1 Cor 11:34 And if any man hunger, let him eat at home; that ye come not together unto condemnation. And the rest will I set in order when I come.

Vs, 29-32 actually teaches what being unworthy is as many take communion without discerning the body of Christ. They take no thought, but just go through the motion. Same as only giving lip service to the Lord.

Vs, 29-32 actually teaches what being unworthy is as many take communion without discerning the body of Christ. They take no thought, but just go through the motion. Same as only giving lip service to the Lord.
Just to pile onto what you have pointed out, the word "discern" seems to have an element of "contending with" or "mentally wrestling with", i.e. not flippant, careless, or shallow thinking.

1 Cor 11:23 For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:
1 Cor 11:24 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.
1 Cor 11:25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.
1 Cor 11:26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.
1 Cor 11:27 Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.
1 Cor 11:28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.
1 Cor 11:29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.
1 Cor 11:30 For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.
1 Cor 11:31 For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.
1 Cor 11:32 But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.

1 Cor 11:33 Wherefore, my brethren, when ye come together to eat, tarry one for another.
1 Cor 11:34 And if any man hunger, let him eat at home; that ye come not together unto condemnation. And the rest will I set in order when I come.

Have you actually conducted a poll and/or survey or is this just your judgmental opinion of others? How do you actually know what others are thinking?

Have you actually conducted a poll and/or survey or is this just your judgmental opinion of others? How do you actually know what others are thinking?
I think FHG was simply stating what she understood the passage was telling us, so I am confused by your response.

I think FHG was simply stating what she understood the passage was telling us, so I am confused by your response.

She wrote, "many take communion without discerning the body of Christ. They take no thought, but just go through the motion". That is judging the thinking and behavior of others.

She wrote, "many take communion without discerning the body of Christ. They take no thought, but just go through the motion". That is judging the thinking and behavior of others.
She wrote "Vs, 29-32 actually teaches what being unworthy is as many take communion without discerning the body of Christ. They take no thought, but just go through the motion. Same as only giving lip service to the Lord."

I assumed she simply meant "Vs, 29-32 actually teaches what being unworthy is: those that take communion without discerning the body of Christ. They take no thought, but just go through the motion. Same as only giving lip service to the Lord."

Maybe my assumption is wrong, but I tend to give the writers here some grace in that we all tend to write things quickly and then realize we didn't quite write as clearly as we wish we would have. I'm a big fan of the edit button and use it often! :)

Also, I think it a kindness to get confirmation of what someone means before attributing a wrong motive/behavior to them based on what we have interpreted them to mean.

Why would you think I have any right to judge others. I am simply stating what that verse says.

Do you believe just because one calls them self a Christian just because they go to church truly are one?

Mat 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
Mat 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
Mat 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

John 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
John 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
John 3:7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

Yes, I wrote that and it is true as before I was Spiritually born again I gave communion no thought discerning the body of Christ, other than ya, He died and rose again and that's as far as my thinking went and I am sure I am not alone on that.

Going to church every Sunday does not make you a Christian anymore than standing in your garage would make you a car.

Just to pile onto what you have pointed out, the word "discern" seems to have an element of "contending with" or "mentally wrestling with", i.e. not flippant, careless, or shallow thinking.
Some people just really do not consider what Jesus actually went through as in Roman flogging the whips they used either had nails or broken pottery imbedded at the end of the straps that literally ripped the skin from your body causing excess bleeding. Scripture says He was unrecognizable while hanging on the cross.

Isa 50:6 I gave my back to the smiters, and my cheeks to them that plucked off the hair: I hid not my face from shame and spitting.

Isa 52:14 As many were astonied at thee; his visage was so marred more than any man, and his form more than the sons of men:

For years, even after I was Spiritually born again I really didn't give it much thought of what Jesus seriously went through for His love for all of us. I was at a Christian convention where on the last day they had communion. I was going through a "I want to know" stage in my life and I asked Jesus to show me what he went through that day. I was in the Spirit and the vision was so graphic it made me sick to my stomach. I have a habit when I take communion I always break the bread in half as symbolizing Jesus body being broken for us, even though no bones were broken. When I did this I could hear the flesh of Christ literally being ripped from His body. When I drank the cup all I could see was blood from the top of His head down to His feet flowing out to me. All I could do at first was cry like a baby and then I started to praise His Holy name for loving someone like me as I never experienced that kind of love before. That is what is meant by discerning the body of Christ.

Good words you chose there. Careless and shallow thinking was how I took communion, but no longer when you experience that of the love of Christ.

Yes, I wrote that and it is true as before I was Spiritually born again I gave communion no thought discerning the body of Christ, other than ya, He died and rose again and that's as far as my thinking went and I am sure I am not alone on that.

Going to church every Sunday does not make you a Christian anymore than standing in your garage would make you a car.
all this is %100 correct teaching.. i done the same thing i was raised UMC i took communion not being saved . from young age to a older late teen years maybe into my 20,s .i dont remember then my uncle came to me in private told me of my error. my reaction i am quitting going to Church {found a good excuse } my reason i blamed him as a smoke screen... partaking communion should be considered sacred . done so under the leading of the spirit. i served communion this sunday .
i preached from roman 4 and 5 on what Christ did for us while we was lost . i then went to the communion service . i explained the unworthy i then gave a moment of silence for each of us. to pray and get our selfs in position to partake . i may not see eye to eye with 4hg but this post i back her all the way .
when the time is right i will preach a message on how we go to church . but fail to get something out of it. a sign once read enter in to worship depart to serve.
yes i support attending Church but we must go for the right reasons . sunday morning i preach . sunday night we dont have church . so i get out and visit. 2 weeks ago i visited a church the pastor highlighted the message i preached.. but turned it into Holiness. i told him as far as i was concerned he put the icing on the cake. i needed the reminder .

BTW its not about I or ME its about Christ in us the hope of Glory . if we aint in HIM and HE aint in us....

were Lost w/o Christ

Some people just really do not consider what Jesus actually went through as in Roman flogging the whips they used either had nails or broken pottery imbedded at the end of the straps that literally ripped the skin from your body causing excess bleeding. Scripture says He was unrecognizable while hanging on the cross.
sad but true and many times we all fail in this manner

Back