Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

WHY IS GOD A WARRIOR AND JESUS A PANSY?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Ah, but you judge too soon. Jesus will hardly be a pansy when He returns as King of Kings and Lord of Lords. That's why it's good that we all make peace with him now before he returns.

The judgments of the OT are illustrations and warnings for us of how God has promised to one day judge all of mankind. But in the meantime his desire is for men to come to their senses and repent and be spared on that Day.

"...the present heavens and earth are reserved for fire, being kept for the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men.

8 But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. 9 The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance." (2 Peter 3: NIV1984)

Jesus scares me.

man dominates man to his own injury and God hardens the hearts of the unbelievers because this is their own desire and he fulfills it for them. The outcome of fallen man left to his own devises with no heart for God has one uncomfortable outcome and that is to destroy. God protected his people from such ones when they were faithful and withdrew that protection when they rebelled and this caused the nation to understand Gods favor was upon them if they trusted in Him. Even with the teachings, the prophets, the law, and the traditions they still kept rebelling and in the tooing and frowing from favor and not.. then wars and killing went on because the ungodly would gain ground and then ultimately lose as Gods favor returned to his people. Non of this is God's doing but for changing the measure of protection given to his people at that time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would you prefer Jesus to be more like Jeremiah or one of the prophets? Or maybe Elijah, who called fire from heaven? Maybe more like John the Baptist? Someone strong and bold?

Mat 16:13 When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?

Mat 16:14 And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets.

Mat 16:15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?

Mat 16:16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.

I hope I am not feeding a troll here.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif][if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> I think I understand the op original question, and I could be wrong but I do not think he got his answer. I would like to try. Bear with me on this, the Bible is divided into two key areas, noted as New and Old Testament. Jesus is a gift of God to man, one of the things we got was the New Testament.

God also changed how He works with man though Jesus. This made Jesus the way to God. As for Jesus being a pansy you missed a point. Jesus is a gift to man. One of the gifts is an example as to what we should be. Jesus showed us how to pray, showed us how to love, how to trust in God. He had anger, in points we should as well, but He had love too. We as Christians are to try and be like Jesus, he is the example. Safe to say if God want Jesus to be like Rambo, He would have been. Love is really the bigger message; the desire to fight is where we come from, it is love we go to.

That is one of the underling themes to the New Testament, to be like Jesus. To be loving even toward your enemy is quite an accomplishment. One that takes a lot of inward reflection. One that needs the example of Jesus to proceed with that journey.

Fair question really, and all I said is true. That said, when Jesus comes back he does have anther assignment. You should understand that the greatest of warriors doesn’t have what it takes for what Jesus will do. just tossing that out there.

It is Christians who make Jesus a pansy.
In my opinion they have this idea that Christians should be Pacifists.
The love - Peace - Acceptance of most Christians erases the part about the sword.

Luke 22:35-38:35And he said unto them, When I sent you without purse, and scrip, and shoes, lacked ye any thing? And they said, Nothing. 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
37For I say unto you, that this that is written must yet be accomplished in me, And he was reckoned among the transgressors: for the things concerning me have an end.
38And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.

Jesus told his followers to buy a sword,which is the equivalent of a gun.(in my opinion)

Exodus 15:3:The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name.

-JennyThatcher- & -JJsaint- etc., -WoW- finally somebody tries to answer my post, you two are close to explaining what I did not understand, Thank You...

PS, another question that has a bearing on what -You- two sort of said, Why do we have to take the -Pacifist- Christian point of view in the new testament. Why are we abandoning the -Crusades- in the 11th and 12th and 13th century, as a matter of fact most of Christian history (New Testament) is militant. Only the last fifty years has most Christians become lazy liberal peace loving christians...

-JennyThatcher- & -JJsaint- etc., -WoW- finally somebody tries to answer my post, you two are close to explaining what I did not understand, Thank You...

PS, another question that has a bearing on what -You- two sort of said, Why do we have to take the -Pacifist- Christian point of view in the new testament. Why are we abandoning the -Crusades- in the 11th and 12th and 13th century, as a matter of fact most of Christian history (New Testament) is militant. Only the last fifty years has most Christians become lazy liberal peace loving christians...

http://www.sheldonemrylibrary.com/Warfaredraftlaws.pdf

God's Bible Laws on Military Draft and Warfare

I admit that I am not an expert on the Bible etc. but why is GOD of the old testament a harsh or warrior type that destroys -Evil- and or the enemies of Israel etc.. Jesus of the new testament seems to be a -Pansy- that allows evil such as abortion and liberal philosophy etc. and destroys nothing, just asking...
PS, since I am not an expert on the Bible, try to use everyday English to explain the error of my thinking...

Can you say exactly what Jesus ever did or said that would indicate He was a "pansy?"

Just asking.

wow--- crusades - really---- ok, the Muslims were over the top in their fighting and methods. then in response the crusades happened, not one of the better examples of what it is to be Christian. there were yet again extremes. a day of judgement is coming and Jesus will be very active in all this. I for one do not think a crusade type war , run by any government of today, would be good in any way. keep in mind a war on that level would be done with governments. I for one think that if we did do something like that it would represent the end of days. the best a Christian can do is be like Jesus so that we are ready for Jesus when the time comes.

It is Christians who make Jesus a pansy.
In my opinion they have this idea that Christians should be Pacifists.
The love - Peace - Acceptance of most Christians erases the part about the sword.

Luke 22:35-38:35And he said unto them, When I sent you without purse, and scrip, and shoes, lacked ye any thing? And they said, Nothing. 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
37For I say unto you, that this that is written must yet be accomplished in me, And he was reckoned among the transgressors: for the things concerning me have an end.
38And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.

Jesus told his followers to buy a sword,which is the equivalent of a gun.(in my opinion)
The following text, from Luke 22, is often used to support the notion that Christians should not be pacifists:

And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one. <SUP>37</SUP>"For I tell you that this which is written must be fulfilled in Me, 'AND HE WAS NUMBERED WITH TRANSGRESSORS'; for that which refers to Me has its fulfillment." <SUP>38</SUP>They said, "Lord, look, here are two swords." And He said to them, "It is enough."

Obviously a “superficial†reading suggests that Jesus is advocating the “right†to carry a weapon. However, the fact that such a reading is deeply at odds with other things Jesus teaches should be a tip-off that things are not as they appear. And indeed, such is the case here. When this text is understood in broader context, we realize that Jesus is not making any kind of a case for the right to bear arms (swords or otherwise).

In order to arrive at the correct interpretation, we really need to step back and ask ourselves what Jesus’ larger purpose was in this dialogue. Note the connective “for†at the beginning of verse 37. It suggests that the material which follows is an explanation or amplification on the point just made – that the followers of Jesus are to sell their coats and buy a sword. So what is Jesus’ larger purpose?

It is that He been seen as a transgressor. Jesus is intentionally orchestrating things so that the Jewish authorities will have plausible grounds for arresting Him. Of course, appearing as part of an armed band would be precisely the ideal scenario to ensure Jesus’ arrest. Remember the “for†at the beginning of verse 37. If we are to be careful students of what Jesus is saying, we need to take seriously what Jesus says in verses 37 and 38 as qualifying and explaining his statement about buying a sword. We cannot simply gloss the text and conclude “Look, Jesus is making some kind of general statement about the right to self-defence with weaponsâ€.

In fact, this very specific focus on the intent to be seen as a transgressor is powerfully sustained by Jesus’ statement that there is prophecy that He (Jesus) must be seen as a transgressor.

Remember the incident in the temple with Jesus overthrowing the tables of the moneychangers. This is not, as many people think, merely a repudiation of the sin of materialism. It is also a shrewd provocation on the part of Jesus. By creating a ruckus in the temple, He is forcing the hand of the Jewish leaders – they cannot allow such behaviour, Jesus must be arrested soon.

This is why, in the next verse, when the disciples say they have two swords, Jesus says “It is enough.†Obviously, if Jesus ever intended for the disciples to use the swords, two swords would not be nearly enough in any kind of armed action. But it’s enough to fulfill the prophecy by making Jesus appear to be participating in a violent revolutionary movement of some kind.

Unlike the “Jesus is supporting the right to bear arms†interpretation, note how the above interpretation makes sense of the entire account. If Jesus was really making some general statement about a “right to bear armsâ€, how exactly does that contribute to His being numbered with transgressors? And how does that make sense of the limit of two swords? Such a “right to bear arms†interpretation makes sense of neither. So it is almost certainly an incorrect interpretation of Jesus’ statement about buying a couple of swords.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back