Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study Why were the gospels written many years after Jesus died?

humble soul

On Sabbatical from Rome
Some scholars have the Gospel of John written in 100 AD. That's about 70 years after Jesus died isn't it?
I don't have much idea on this topic. But if I can understand why Gospels were written so late, I might have my faith strengthened.

From wikipedia

"They were probably written between AD 66 and 110. All four were anonymous (the modern names were added in the 2nd century), almost certainly none were by eyewitnesses, and all are the end-products of long oral and written transmission."

I guess during that era there was great tribulation by Nero against the church. Try wiki Google Nero

Some scholars have the Gospel of John written in 100 AD. That's about 70 years after Jesus died isn't it?
I don't have much idea on this topic. But if I can understand why Gospels were written so late, I might have my faith strengthened.

Your statement "But if I can understand why...I might have my faith strengthened" is an oxymoron. And loaded with doubt.

"Some scholars" doubt the Bible altogether as the Word of God. Some question the Authorship, the dates, the translations, and the very words written in the Bible.

Quantrill

From wikipedia

"They were probably written between AD 66 and 110. All four were anonymous (the modern names were added in the 2nd century), almost certainly none were by eyewitnesses, and all are the end-products of long oral and written transmission."

So then, are you saying that you question whether or not God Almighty could get a decent copy of HIS Word across the ages to you? That's pretty funny Brother! Is anything too hard for God?

Your statement "But if I can understand why...I might have my faith strengthened" is an oxymoron. And loaded with doubt.
Nothing wrong with doubt.
But I was hoping members like you could reassure me and explain the reason for the scriptures being written so late. By such reassurance my faith can be reinforced.

Matthew is supposed to have been written by Matthew/Levi who was one of the 12 disciple/apostles who did witness Jesus' ministry. He has alot of dialogue of Jesus which implies the author did genuinely hear Jesus speak them. Levi was a tax collector so was more literate/educated etc. It is supposed his gospel is written to Hebrews.

John is supposed to be written by the disciple who Jesus loved who seems to be implied to be the disciple/apostle John in the that gospel and in tradition. He also was one of the 12 disciples/apostles who witnessed Jesus. John and Peter are supposed to have been the 2 longest living and latest to die disciples/apostles. There are fragments of John maybe/almost dating to the end of John's life. His gospel is more mystical, and it is supposed his gospel is written to World or Greeks.

Mark is generally considered to be the first/oldest of the 4 canonical written gospels. Mark was associated with Paul and with Peter, and this gospel is sometimes called the gospel of Peter, and the impulsive/active type of the gospel is supposed to match Peter's nature/character. It is supposed his gospel is written to Romans, though Peter's mission/ministry was to Jews (though he is involved with the first gentile converts).

Luke is supposed to have been written by Luke who was a younger associate of Paul who heard & saw Jesus in the vision on the road to Damascus. Luke said many had already tried to write about Jesus' life and words and deeds. Luke is considered reliable because he was evidently a type of historian as well as a Dr/Physician. Thre are medical and other details in the gospels which tend to suggest true historical account. It is supposed his gospel is written to Greeks (and Paul's mission/ministry was to gentiles).

The 3 synoptic gospels all have alot of similar details and so it is interesting that 3 different authors may confirm each other. (Though 2 of them might have used the other older one as a reference, though they had their own independent details.)

It is thought by scholars that there was an (Aramaic?) Oral Gospel at first for some years until the 4 gospels were written. (And it seems conversion as mostly been person to person then and since.) Some also think there was an original Hebrew gospel. There might be lost or unfound texts. Paul said to bring him the manuscripts. Grant Jeffrey said a Dead Sea Scroll text has words similar to the "son of the most high" verse in one gospel.

Historically it is not that surprising that Jesus words and works were written down later. The events of the time were probably well known, like when the 2 disciples said to Jesus "have you not heard ".
The disciples also seem to be implied to have not be overly educated/literate?
There were also not many believers until after Acts 1.
It is also a fact that most people are not readers or intellectuals, and oral speeches are better than written material.

Oral history comes before written history in some other examples in world history. The word write first occurs just after the Dophkah stop in the 40 years wilderness wanderings. Sometimes oral traditions of peoples have been found to be remarkably truthful. Druids prefered oral to written.

Elishah in Genesis 10 means "God of salvation" and might be a prophetic reference to New Testament written in Greek (which language is said to be well suited for conveying the meanings).

Rough possible chronological order of NT books from two or more sources:
Letter of James early 40s to 110
Oral gospel Q before ca 48 (Lindsay 0)
I & II Thessalonians from Athens ca 48 (Lindsay 1)
Galatians ca 50 (Lindsay 2)
Letter of James ca 50 (Lindsay 3)
I Thessalonians 50
Galatians early 50s
I Corinthians early 50s
I & II Corinthians ca 53 (Lindsay 4)
Philemon mid-50s, Paul in prison
Philippians mid-50s, Paul in prison
II Corinthians mid-50s
Romans ca 55 (Lindsay 5)
Romans 58, written in Corinth
Colossians ca 59 from Rome (Lindsay 6)
Philemon ca 60 from Rome (Lindsay 7)
Ephesians ca 60 from Rome (Lindsay 8)
Philippians ca 61 from Rome (Lindsay 9)
Letter of 1 Peter ca 61 (Lindsay 10)
Gospel of Mark/Peter ca 65 (Lindsay 11)
I & II Timothy ca 66-69 (Lindsay 12)
Letter to Titus in Crete ca 67 (Lindsay 13)
Gospel of Mark/Peter 70
Letter of James early 70s (others say anywhere from 40s to 110)
Gospel of Matthew/Levi ca 80 (Lindsay 14)
Hebrews by Paul ca 80 (Lindsay 15)
Colossians 80s, not by Paul
Gospel of Matthew/Levi late 80s
Gospel of Luke/Paul most scholars date it to late 80s
Hebrews by Paul 80s-90s? difficult to date
Luke/Acts 80-90
Gospel of Luke/Paul ca 85 (Lindsay 16)
Gospel of John ca 90 (Lindsay 19*)
3 letters of John ca 90 (Lindsay 20*)
Ephesians 90 or earlier if by Paul
Revelation of John/Jesus 90s, though could be into the 120s
Revelation of John ca 91 (Lindsay 17*)
Acts of Peter & Paul by Luke/Paul ca 92 (Lindsay 18*)
Letter of Jude ca 93 (Lindsay 21)
Letter of 2 Peter ca 93 (Lindsay 22)
Letter of Jude 100, unless really by a brother of Jesus & then probably oldest* in NT
Letters of I, II, & III John 100, though in what order no idea
Gospel of Luke/Paul 100s, tho most date it to late 80s
Acts of Peter & Paul by Luke 100s
II Thessalonians 100s – if not Paul, and majority think not
Letter of I Peter 110s – not by Peter
I Timothy 120 – not by Paul
II Timothy 120 – not by Paul
Titus 120 – not by Paul
Revelation of John/Jesus could be into the 120s
Letter of II Peter 130-150.

From wikipedia

Actually I believe John was one of His disciples, often referred to as the one Jesus loved and the one that went to the empty tomb with Peter. He was with Jesus throughout His ministry on earth.

Edit: I see Mosheli already beat me to this.

Just thought of a few other possible reasons.

The reason they later needed to be written helps to explain the reason wy the weren't needed to be written until later.
They weren't needed so much while apostles were still alive.
There were also not many believers until after Acts 1, and they were all Palestinian Jews except for the Ethiopian eunuch until later in Acts when Peter is involved with the 1st gentile converts. Tongues also wasn't until Acts 2.
Jesus never seems to have wrote anything except with finger in the sand, he spoke and did deeds.

Also they didn't then know that Jesus wasn't going to return for so long.

Others may know some other/better reasons.

Nothing wrong with doubt.
But I was hoping members like you could reassure me and explain the reason for the scriptures being written so late. By such reassurance my faith can be reinforced.

Who said they were 'so late'. You? Does God adjust His time table based on you?

God is never late. (Gal. 4:4) But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law,"

Scripture is the work of God. He is never late.

You have to have faith first, for it to be reinforced.

Quantrill

Romans 10:17 details where FAITH actually comes from. Supposed dates of gospel authorship has nothing to do with that, since it's only "Intellectual Knowledge".

Romans 10:17 details where FAITH actually comes from. Supposed dates of gospel authorship has nothing to do with that, since it's only "Intellectual Knowledge".
So faith cannot be increased through reason? I should ignore reason altogether?

So faith cannot be increased through reason? I should ignore reason altogether?

The Christian Faith does not originate through 'reason'. God tells His people, "Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow;" (Is. 1:18) But, this is addressed to His people, the Jews at that time.

Paul is addressing the most 'faithful' church in the world, (Rom. 1:8), when he writes "...present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God which is your reasonable service." (Rom 12:1)

In other words, in the Christian faith, faith is always first. Reason then follows. And it's interesting to me in these two verses I cited, that reason is associated with encouraging the believers conduct and obedience.

So, as I said earlier, your question was full of doubt about the Gospels. The implication being, how can they be true or trustworthy having been written so long after the events recorded. You didn't come to the question in faith. You came in doubt.

Which means, and this is important, even if you obtained an answer that satisfied your reason and doubt, your faith was not increased one iota.

(Rom. 1:16-17) For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first,and also to the Greek. For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith."

Quantrill

It's not so important when each one wrote, but that of what they wrote in order to teach the churches in their eras after the day of Pentecost when they were indwelled and anointed with the Holy Spirit before they were sent out. Each book has been compiled on their witness and testimony of Christ as they walked with Him as Jesus taught them. Reading all the Gospels is what we hear that leads us to faith as faith comes by hearing the word of God.

Romans 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
Romans 10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
Romans 10:15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!
Romans 10:16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?
Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Matthew, Mark, Luke and John are actually supplements of each other as they all give an account of Christ in his birth, life, death and resurrection. The four gospels are that of what Christ actually spoke in his teachings, works and preparation of his disciples. The rest of the books, except Revelation which is warnings to the Church of conduct and things which must come to be before Christ returns for his bride, are more about moral standings and our conduct in obedience to the faith which is Christ Jesus as we choose to believe his teachings and that of his work that he instructed all of us to continue in as he prepares all of us before sending us out as he did his disciples. Acts brings us into that of Christ's resurrection and ascending as now Jesus has fulfilled his purpose of God and now sends down the Holy Spirit to teach us and send us out into the world according to Gods commission at the end of Matthews writing.

Matthew - In the first verse announces the fulfillment of Israel hope in the coming of Christ. The book of Matthew is a natural bridge between the OT and NT as it describes the person and the works of Israel's Messianic King. Matthew's structure is revealed in the phrase "It is finished" which is used to conclude the five key discourses of the book IE: the Sermon on the Mount, instruction of the disciples, parables of the Kingdom, terms of discipleship and the Olivet Discourse. Mathew can be outlined as, the presentation of the Christ, the proclamation of the Christ, the power of the Christ, the progressive rejection of the Christ, the preparation of the Christ's Disciples, the presentation and rejection of the Christ and the proof of the Christ. At the cross all is finished for that of the purpose of the Christ.

Mark - In the first verse it centers on the purpose and mission of the Son of God as Jesus being a servant and redeemer of men. Mark directed his words to a more Gentile audience that knew little about OT theology. Mark wrote as a topical narrative of Christ's teachings and works. Mark passes over the birth and early years of Christ and begins with the events that immediately precede that of the fulfillment of Gods Spirit in Christ as he was baptized by John for the purpose of Gods ministry through him up unto the time of the cross as Christ prepared his Disciples within all his teachings so they would be prepared to take what Christ taught them out into the world even though they did lack certain understanding. Mark is outlined in the presentation of the servant, the opposition of the servant, the instruction of the servant, and the resurrection of the servant.

Luke - Luke clearly states his purpose in verse one "to write unto thee in order, that thou mightest know the certainty of those things wherein thou hast been instructed". Luke wanted to create an accurate chronological and comprehensive account of the unique life of Christ to strengthen the faith of the Gentile believers and stimulate saving faith among the non-believers. Luke also had another purpose in his writings and that was to show that Christ was not only divine, but also human. Luke portrays Christ in his fullest humanity by devoting more of his writing to Christ's feelings and humanity than any other Gospel. Luke chronologically: the introduction of the Son of man, the ministry of the Son of man, the rejection of the Son of man and the Crucifixion and Resurrection of the Son of man.

John - The key to John's gospel is to believe that Christ is the Son of God. John writes his gospel for the specific purpose of bringing people to a spiritual life through belief in the person and the works of Christ. John selected the signs he used for the specific purpose of creating intellectual, "that you might believe", and spiritual "that believing ye might have life", conviction about the Son of God. The key verb in John is "believe" and requires knowledge and capability to choose. John's gospel serves as a supplement to the other three gospels. The five basic sections of this gospel are, the incarnation of the Son of God, the presentation of the Son of God, the opposition to the Son of God and the Crucifixion and Resurrection of the Son of God.

We have to look at some facts here... We have the earliest manuscripts discovered, but that doesn't mean that there aren't earlier ones. In fact, it's certain that we do not have the "originals", so the dates are estimates only. Secondly, ancient documents such as the epistles were dictated to scribes, not because the writers were illiterate, but because it was the custom to dictate to those skilled in writing. Therefore, the gospels were edited, with the possible exception of Luke.

Most information, including the Gospels, was transmitted orally so they varied on different occasions. We can look at the written gospels as being later versions of the original, verbal stories. Regardless, their content is now as accurate as possible, but that could change as 1) more documents are discovered and/or 2) the art/science of translation continues to improve.

And yes, I think that modern scholarship has given us the best versions of the Bible, much better than the King James version and other dated Bibles.

Why were the gospels written many years after Jesus died?​

From the facts of years recorded, taking that much time for the gospels to be written, as it is said in the scriptures having a time for everything.

But, as they were moved by their faith, having the holy ghost, and as we also in todays life are inspired to do the things we do of course as we take heed of ourselves.

And our faith is increased by hearing the words of the Lord.

Love, Walter and Debbie

From wikipedia

May I suggest you search Dr g habermas YouTube lecture on the resurrection.
He as an academic has corresponded with other historians and biblical critics and will list for you the books academics accepts as historically reliable.
He also dates the early statement of faith that Paul makes to having originated within five years of the crucifixion.

Back