Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study Why were the gospels written many years after Jesus died?

Himble
Jesus was telling them it was wrong, just as He told others they erre wrong, thieves, liars, adulterers, gossipers, blasphemers, murderers, fornicators, homosexuals, idolators, etc.
He told them all to stop doing these things.

Himble
Jesus was telling them it was wrong, just as He told others they erre wrong, thieves, liars, adulterers, gossipers, blasphemers, murderers, fornicators, homosexuals, idolators, etc.
He told them all to stop doing these things.
We need a modern version of the Gospels. Where Jesus spends time with the modern day marginalised. Gays are mostly marginalised by Christians, not the secular world. Which I find interesting.

Tessa ,....how would deal with a son who was gay? Would you tell him the Bible forbids him to be intimate with his boyfriend?

Some scholars have the Gospel of John written in 100 AD. That's about 70 years after Jesus died isn't it?
I don't have much idea on this topic. But if I can understand why Gospels were written so late, I might have my faith strengthened.
We don't actually know when the original texts of the Gospels were written because we don't have access to them. We know that when Luke wrote his gospel, many of those who witnessed the life, death and resurrection of Christ were still alive, because as part of his research, he interviewed them. Matthew must have written his Gospel before 70AD, because he had access to the Temple genealogical records which were destroyed when Jerusalem was razed to the ground by the Romans. Luke also quoted a genealogy as well, so his Gospel originated before AD70 as well. Mark was a companion of Peter, and later of Paul, so much of his material for his Gospel came from them, so it must have been written during their lifetimes. I really don't think that John would have waited 70 years before writing his Gospel. I think, because of the personal information he gave that was not in the other gospels, he wrote it while much younger and while his memory of the events was still fresh.

So, because we don't have the originals, but copies dating from the 4th Century, any idea of when the Gospels were written has to be guesswork.

Tessa ,....how would deal with a son who was gay? Would you tell him the Bible forbids him to be intimate with his boyfriend?
People teach their children right from wrong at an early age. Yhey should know homosexuality is sinful before they are old enough to commit the act. When they are of age they choose their llife. It is apafrents duty to make sure they know right from wrong. If they end up stealing they would already know it is wrong. I would pray for them like I do anyhow.

We don't actually know when the original texts of the Gospels were written because we don't have access to them. We know that when Luke wrote his gospel, many of those who witnessed the life, death and resurrection of Christ were still alive, because as part of his research, he interviewed them. Matthew must have written his Gospel before 70AD, because he had access to the Temple genealogical records which were destroyed when Jerusalem was razed to the ground by the Romans. Luke also quoted a genealogy as well, so his Gospel originated before AD70 as well. Mark was a companion of Peter, and later of Paul, so much of his material for his Gospel came from them, so it must have been written during their lifetimes. I really don't think that John would have waited 70 years before writing his Gospel. I think, because of the personal information he gave that was not in the other gospels, he wrote it while much younger and while his memory of the events was still fresh.

So, because we don't have the originals, but copies dating from the 4th Century, any idea of when the Gospels were written has to be guesswork.
I find that very interesting, thank you. It helps us to know the apostles a tiny bit more too..

Last edited:
People teach their children right from wrong at an early age. Yhey should know homosexuality is sinful before they are old enough to commit the act. When they are of age they choose their llife. It is apafrents duty to make sure they know right from wrong. If they end up stealing they would already know it is wrong. I would pray for them like I do anyhow.
If I was a parent of a gay child, I wouldn't be preaching too much. If they asked what the Bible says, I would tell them. But I would reassure them" hey you aren't going to hell. In my opinion. And we aren't sure if it exists anyway. But don't sleep around would be my advice"

I wouldn't need to tell them because my children both my children had bibles as soon as they could read. We used to talk about all sorts of things, and they still can do.
I don't preach to them. I don't preach to anyone. It is their life,their choices and I love them.
If I told then they are going to hell wouldn't that be judging them?
I wouldn't tell anyone they ardvoing tlo hell
That is for God to decide
I would pray for them and they know they can talk to me about anything.

I wouldn't need to tell them because my children both my children had bibles as soon as they could read. We used to talk about all sorts of things, and they still can do.
I don't preach to them. I don't preach to anyone. It is their life,their choices and I love them.
If I told then they are going to hell wouldn't that be judging them?
I wouldn't tell anyone they ardvoing tlo hell
That is for God to decide
I would pray for them and they know they can talk to me about anything.
Good answer tessa

If I was a parent of a gay child, I wouldn't be preaching too much. If they asked what the Bible says, I would tell them. But I would reassure them" hey you aren't going to hell. In my opinion. And we aren't sure if it exists anyway. But don't sleep around would be my advice"

It seems to me that you'd be better off praying for them instead of reassuring them with a lie. The bible is clearly against being gay, it says be fruitful and multiply. I think that's a command.

But we shouldn't fear thinking either. Yes I respect the pov that we need to maintain a holy spirit inspired outlook. But nevertheless......
Yes, I agree that we need to think about things, particularly the words from Scripture.

Imagine you are gay and reading the Bible. Would you feel included or ostracised?
Jesus spent time with tax collectors and prostitutes. How about gays?
If I were gay, Buddhism would be more attractive. But then perhaps there is a more compassionate God that is bigger than the Bible. In that case, I might stay Christian.
I'm a sinner and I read the Bible. Being a sinner and living a sin filled lifestyle are two different things. Being gay and living a gay lifestyle are two different things. We are to turn away from sin, all sin, including the sin of homosexual behavior.

Imagine you are gay and reading the Bible. Would you feel included or ostracised?
Jesus spent time with tax collectors and prostitutes. How about gays?
If I were gay, Buddhism would be more attractive. But then perhaps there is a more compassionate God that is bigger than the Bible. In that case, I might stay Christian.

You're assuming that the Gospels were written by Matthew and Mark, but that may not be the case even though it bears their names. John and Luke are most probably the authors of their gospels but that isn't certain either. Since we don't have the originals and the practice of writing in someone else's name was common, the actual authorship is in question.

I'm a sinner and I read the Bible. Being a sinner and living a sin filled lifestyle are two different things. Being gay and living a gay lifestyle are two different things. We are to turn away from sin, all sin, including the sin of homosexual behavior.

I noticed that you're from central Minnesota. I used to live in Bluffton Township, between Sebeka and Wadena, many years ago. It was where I became a Christian.

You're assuming that the Gospels were written by Matthew and Mark, but that may not be the case even though it bears their names. John and Luke are most probably the authors of their gospels but that isn't certain either. Since we don't have the originals and the practice of writing in someone else's name was common, the actual authorship is in question.
That is why we need to approach the Scriptures with an attitude of faith. Whoever actually wrote them is immaterial; it is more important to base our faith on Holy Spirit inspiration of Scripture which makes it the Word of God.

I noticed that you're from central Minnesota. I used to live in Bluffton Township, between Sebeka and Wadena, many years ago. It was where I became a Christian.
Wadena is an hour north of me.

Back