Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Winners and Losers

E

elijah23

The Lord’s commandments aren’t always easy to obey, but some people are committed to obeying them. These are the winners.

Others are committed to making a name for themselves, not paying much attention to the Lord’s commandments. They often are found buttering up the right people. These are the losers.

So the trick is to die at the time when you have best obeyed?
And if one messes up does he/she have to start over?

What rules govern the score? Or would one just give the blanket answer of "it's God's judgment".

I understand what you're saying but if we're all wrapped up in our performance then the focus becomes us rather than Christ.

We need to be truly born again, under grace. Hebrews 9 and 10 speaks of the one, great, finished offering of the Lord Jesus at the Cross for sinners, and we need to be trusting Him in the light of His death at the Cross. Hebrews 9 also speaks of the Holy Spirit 'through the eternal Spirit' purging our conscience of dead works.

Having been labeled a "loser" much of my life, until recently, I find the winners/loser conceptualization of those who follow the rules and don't a little upsetting. Better to say that Christians who cooperate with The Holy Spirit in their lives are victorious. Not always happy, not always sinless, not necessarily visibly successful (although Christ helps with that, too--trust me on that one), but victorious. Not that "victory" means you'll emerge as the ultimate winner in secular culture. But I digress....

Anyway, I'm just saying that there has to be a better way to look at life than "winners" and "losers."

The language you used here is interesting. It reminds me of the language found in the Qur'an.
Speaking of language raises an interesting question.
Is the English version of the Qur'an as accurate as the version written in the original language?
:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of language raises an interesting question.
Is the English version of the Qur'an as accurate as the version written in the original language?
:D
What do you mean by accurate? If you mean can it communicate everything that the original language does? I can't imagine it does. Something is invariably lost when translating.

Good point.
Maybe losing a certain something will help the Qur'an. As far as I know Muslims in the US aren't exacly following the bad parts of it like the radicals or deny them altogether and interpreting the words to align with today's humanitarian overview is a smart move really. Nobody wants violence. Except maybe the radicals in the Middle East. All I can figure is that the Qur'an is being used as an excuse to get power to take over things over there.

Back