Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

woman sues for child-rearing costs after failed abortion

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

jgredline

Wow
There is so much wrong in this story, that my heart and prayers go out to the innocent child.....The best thing for that child is to be put up for adoption....This just get me mad...

Any comments?......

BOSTON --A Boston woman who gave birth after a failed abortion has filed a lawsuit against two doctors and Planned Parenthood seeking the costs of raising her child.

The complaint was filed by Jennifer Raper, 45, last week in Suffolk Superior Court and still must be screened by a special panel before it can proceed to trial.

Raper claimed in the three-page medical malpractice suit that she found out she was pregnant in March 2004 and decided to have an abortion for financial reasons.

Dr. Allison Bryant, a physician working for Planned Parenthood at the time, performed the procedure on April 9, 2004, but it "was not done properly, causing the plaintiff to remain pregnant," according to the complaint.

Raper then went to see Dr. Benjamin Eleonu at Boston Medical Center in July 2004, and he failed to detect the pregnancy even though she was 20 weeks pregnant at the time, the lawsuit alleges.

It was only when Raper went to the New England Medical Center emergency room for treatment of pelvic pain in late September that year that she found out she was pregnant, the suit said.

She gave birth to a daughter on Dec. 7, 2004.

She is seeking damages, including child-rearing costs.

Raper and her lawyer, Barry C. Reed Jr., refused comment when contacted by The Boston Globe.

A spokeswoman for Planned Parenthood said the organization does not comment on pending litigation.

Neither doctor responded to requests for comment.

Raper alleges in the suit that Planned Parenthood and Bryant were negligent for failing to end her pregnancy and that Eleonu was negligent for failing to see she was still pregnant.

The state's high court ruled in 1990 that parents can sue physicians for child-rearing expenses, but limited those claims to cases in which children require extraordinary expenses because of medical problems, medical malpractice lawyer Andrew C. Meyer Jr. said.

Raper's suit has no mentions of medical problems involving her now 2-year-old daughter.

As with all medical malpractice suits in Massachusetts, Raper's complaint will have to be screened by a tribunal consisting of a Superior Court judge, a lawyer, and a doctor to determine whether it has merit to go to trial.

Boston woman sues for child-rearing costs after failed abortion

If she did not want the child, then why didn't she give her up for adoption, give the child to someone who will want her and not resent her. That story makes me sick and is a frivolous lawsuit, as she got herself pregnant.

ChristineES said:
If she did not want the child, then why didn't she give her up for adoption, give the child to someone who will want her and not resent her. That story makes me sick and is a frivolous lawsuit, as she got herself pregnant.

Agreed...

What's the child going to think when she is much older?

"Mommy wanted me dead and she's sued to get money because I'm not"

:o

What about the father of that child? He's not liable for taking care of the
child because the mother had a failed abortion? :o

That child should be taken away from this woman and placed in a home
where she is wanted and loved IF this woman is such an unfit mother.

Of course this woman will claim she does love her baby, but she needs
that financial help and suing those who botched the murder of her child is
well enough reason to get money she wants.

It's all just total insanity! :crying:

I feel sorry for that child having to grow up with such a mother. I pray
God gives that child the strength to overcome all the garbage attitudes
and behaviors her mother puts in front of her.

The child protective agencies should be keeping a VERY close eye on this
woman and her behavior in regards to her child.

I also pray that some Christians in her town have the guts to step in and
HELP this woman find and see a better way to raise up her child.

ANYONE KNOW ANY "GOOD" CHRISTIANS FROM THE Suffolk BOSTON
AREA WHO CAN HELP HER OUT?

Anyone know any "GOOD" Christians from the Boston area who can step
in and HELP this woman find resources to help her mentallly, spiritually
and find provisions for her to live by a better path in life?

Where are all the "Good" Christians from the Bostan area to help this girl
out of her hell hole of a life style? Tell me where are they? :sad

I agree - where are the Christians?

We can stit here and criticize her for her life choices: getting pregnant, friviolous lawsuits, etc, etc - even though the criticism usually comes from a Christian perspective when the person probably isn't a Christian. In other words, are we expecting the un-regenerated to act like a Christian?

Perhaps she would be better served by Christians, if rather than condeming her, protesting her and calling her a 'murder' etc, rather than donating vasts amount of money to political campaigns, etc, etc -

What if Christians actually helped her and women like her.

Provide an alternative to Planned Parenthood - a facility that not only provides free testing, but helps train single mothers on raising children. What if single mothers had a network of helpers to baby-sit, provide child-care, help them go to dr. appointments, job training, even group insurance

Just and idea.....

Are you saying that we are supposed to support this woman? Well, we are working people, too. My family lives from paycheck to paycheck, we have 3 children to support. Trust me, if I could support this woman and others I would, but not by just handing out money, but helping her get job training for a better job, or by finding the father of this child so he can support his own child. If I could afford it, I would love to adopt every single unwanted child! But that just isn't possible for me or anyone else.
I feel for this woman, but she isn't the only one who has trouble supporting her child, there thousands of them, maybe even millions. None of my children was planned, and my husband and I have a responsibility to support them. Our marriage has fallen apart and we stay together for the children, so they will have 2 parents. We do this willinging for our children, as they are our responsibility.

I mostly feel for this child. That is why I don't believe in sex before marriage, because of all the unwanted children and all the abortions that are done (don't even get me started about venereal diseases).

The biggest problem is that everyone is looking for the easy way out.

ChristineES said:
Are you saying that we are supposed to support this woman? Well, we are working people, too. My family lives from paycheck to paycheck, we have 3 children to support. Trust me, if I could support this woman and others I would, but not by just handing out money, but helping her get job training for a better job, or by finding the father of this child so he can support his own child. If I could afford it, I would love to adopt every single unwanted child! But that just isn't possible for me or anyone else.
I feel for this woman, but she isn't the only one who has trouble supporting her child, there thousands of them, maybe even millions. None of my children was planned, and my husband and I have a responsibility to support them. Our marriage has fallen apart and we stay together for the children, so they will have 2 parents. We do this willinging for our children, as they are our responsibility.

I mostly feel for this child. That is why I don't believe in sex before marriage, because of all the unwanted children and all the abortions that are done (don't even get me started about venereal diseases).

The biggest problem is that everyone is looking for the easy way out.

And I agree with you - I did not say that YOU and YOU alone should support this person or others. But look at the vast network and yes WEALTH, of the Christian Church.

I would contend that the values you are talking about come from your Christian beliefs - not everyone has that. I would agree that they are 'better' values, but we recognize they are better because we recognize the one who gave them to us - Jesus Christ.

My responsiblity and our responsiblity as believers is not to worry about what the other person is looking for, but to follow the example of Christ - feed the hungry, clothe the naked, provide shelter to the homeless.

We should do this with the gifts and resources that God has given us. Wha a testimony of the Church to the rest of the World if the Church lived in radical ways! Acts 2:42-47; Acts 4:24-37

My heart just ACHES for Jesus to come back and get my family out of this world. I don't know how much more I can take it.

waitinontheLamb said:
Sometimes it would be great to bring back the Old Testament stonings.

"He who has no sin... cast the frist...."

aLoneVoice said:
"He who has no sin... cast the frist...."
Please.

Jesus showed mercy to a woman who was humbled and showing sign of contrition. While He was here as a Lamb, He is coming back as a roaring Lion to mete out judgment to those who will not turn from their wicked ways. The woman in the article is a hardened sinner who would rather murder her kid then take care of it.

Let's not forget the other aspect of the nature of God while only speaking of His love. While He is love, He is also wrath and judgment to those who will not turn and obey Him.

While I pray she will find forgiveness through Jesus, the fact is that she is not contrite or humble but arrogant and prideful in her sins. So much so that she would place blame on someone for her murder not working out.

Some key points raised in this thread.

1) Adoption
2) Support from the father
3) Support for the mother

Adoption should always be the alternative to abortion. Mostly I'm talking about abortion on demand, for convenience. It started out with condition of health for the mother and rape I think. Got the thing going then the conditions were dropped.
We need to revamp our adoption laws not make new abortion legislation. And teach abstinence in the home, church and schools without all the extra hoopla that gets teaching abstinence into debate. That goes for the male side also. Takes two to tango.

The guy not committed to a relationship sees money going down the drain. His money. He'll be very persuasive about abortion. Mother's choice? I'll wager at least 75% of the time the choice is "made" by the father against the judgment of the mother. 75% too high? Ok, 50%. At any rate I'm quite sure the father has a lot to say about the choice. Child support isn't cheap.
Sex isn't a game and not simply a recreational activity for the fun of it. With that decision comes accountability and responsibility. There's a lot more at stake than just two consenting adults wanting sex, for any reason.

I can see helping a single mother, always have even without religion figuring into the deal. I've known a few single mothers. In a couple cases the dad tells her, "I love you honey" then gets another woman pregnant. In the meantime she's struggling just to attempt to make ends meet. The best solution I've seen was the family taking her in and giving her the support she needs both financially and emotionally. But that get be made law, that's a decision entirely on the family.
For those single mothers whose family's disown them or resist helping her all she has then is welfare... a program fraught with problems and constantly abused. A woman finding herself in this position feels abandoned by father, family and just about everyone else. And the majority of those so-called case workers don't help matters worth a hoot. Some can be classified as evil in my opinion.
Churches can help regardless of the faith professed. And this is where I think the Mormon church puts the others to shame, including christians I hate to say. Yes, christian churches help but the LDS church has it down to an art. IF she becomes a member she can get even more help. I've seen this up close and personal. They are good, very good. But they WILL help a single mother even if there may be some strings attached. There's personal support, financial advice, in some cases actually paying some bills, food is no problem and of course in some cases help with actually rearing the child. In short, the LDS church becomes her "family".

As to the article? She paid for a service she didn't get. She may get some reimbersment but not all, as it should be if her case is proven correct. No mention of the father I see.

Thing is, many better qualified medical professionals are turning away from doing abortions. Ending a life isn't something I'd want on my head for the rest of my days either.

I am amazed at the hate that is being shown for this woman.

Yes, she is a sinner, just as we are. From what the story tells of her she probably is not a Christian, and if she is getting the same reaction from christians in her area as the reactions of "christians" on this forum then she will never become a christian.

Whenever we come across a situation like this then we as Christians should step up and show love and support. Just as Christ would have. I am not speaking of financially supporting this woman as someone claimed they shouldnt have to do. I am willing to bet that not one church has sent her food, or toiletries, or clothing for her daughter, or anything that would help her out.

Heck, there are probably Christian groups protesting outside her house right now.

If Christians would show more love to everyone, regardless of their situation, then there would be a lot more Christians.

Why blame the dark for being dark? It is far more helpful to ask why the light is not as bright as it could be.

waitinontheLamb said:
Please.

Jesus showed mercy to a woman who was humbled and showing sign of contrition. While He was here as a Lamb, He is coming back as a roaring Lion to mete out judgment to those who will not turn from their wicked ways. The woman in the article is a hardened sinner who would rather murder her kid then take care of it.

Let's not forget the other aspect of the nature of God while only speaking of His love. While He is love, He is also wrath and judgment to those who will not turn and obey Him.

While I pray she will find forgiveness through Jesus, the fact is that she is not contrite or humble but arrogant and prideful in her sins. So much so that she would place blame on someone for her murder not working out.

You are absolutley right - she was humbled at the presence of the LORD.

Perhaps if Christian would be the arms, feet, hands, and face of Christ - and show this woman mercy and grace, jsut as He First showed us - she too would be humbled.

Yes - someday HE will come back to judge - just remember it is HE who has that authority and position, not YOU.

Pot Luck
You bring up some great points and good post....

Alone, I too agree with what you have been saying in this thread....

To quote ''Jeff Mills''.... ''We need to get these people born again'' and then the Spirit will convict and do the rest.....I believe this is what Alone Voice meant by his post.....and really this is it....While it angers us what this women did and is doing, why should we expect anything less from those who are not saved?....

jgredline said:
...why should we expect anything less from those who are not saved?....

I'm guilty of "anything less" as much as she is. Up until '98 I'd have seen nothing wrong done except the doctor/s that botched the job. To me I had my own values based mostly on what some others felt was ok. All I needed was one or two opinions that something was right then for me I accepted whatever it was as ok. If I got a bunch of "no"s at first I'd dismiss those in consideration of the source who I rationalized didn't really understand the issue. One "yes" is usually all it took... from anyone since I wanted it to be ok. The spirit and the flesh were as one.

It's not difficult to remember how I thought back then. All was ok if it hurt nobody, if it was between two consenting adults or if it was what I considered a victimless crime. "Live and let live", "To each his own", "Don't bother me and I won't bother you" were my standards for living. Doesn't sound selfish on the surface but it was. As long as I was ok with things I could care less what others were doing, what the consequences of their actions were or the problems they had. As long as I wasn't bothered with others and their problems then go right on ahead and do as you please. No skin off my nose. And society as a whole? Couldn't care less. "Live and let live". Leave me alone to do as I please. If you follow my principles then you shouldn't bug me or oppose my views. "To each his own" is my way of telling you to mind your own beeswax. Looks good too.

If abortion was debated when I was young I'd be all for it. If something went wrong then there's an out. Yeah, I'd have been all for that for sure. Course, I wouldn't say it that way... it would have to be something noble, something "right". "Women SHOULD have the RIGHT..." or some such thing. Besides, if society can accept something like that then what I'm doing should be less of an issue. Oh yes, I'd have supported abortion lock, stock and barrel.

I wonder if any Christians in the area where this lady lives have gone to share the Gosple of Christ with hre? Or are they too busy?

Jeff Mills said:
I wonder if any Christians in the area where this lady lives have gone to share the Gosple of Christ with hre? Or are they too busy?

Well, since we or anyone else can't research that issue to satisfaction I would think "being too busy" is a safe and derogatory assumption on your part.

PotLuck said:
Well, since we or anyone else can't research that issue to satisfaction I would think "being too busy" is a safe and derogatory assumption on your part.

I apologise. I did not mean to be derogatory. I just have such a heart for sharing Christ with people.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back