Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Would we have Christianity without the Bible?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Christianity started without the N T, so yes we would have Christianity.
The Bible formed because God wanted it formed, but leaving that aside, we would have the OT and some parts of the New. Depending which parts that would influence how Christianity formed and functioned.

Would there be Christianity with no Bible, Yes because in many parts of the world there is Christianity with only parts of the Bible. Christianity has a supernatural aspects that will not let it fail.

Of course we would have Christianity today without the Bible for the plain fact that the writings of the Prophets and Apostles still exist today and hand translated in every language. If there was no invention of the printing press, the letters still exist. It's the oral words of God that will always be spoken to those who want to hear.

Of course we would have Christianity today without the Bible for the plain fact that the writings of the Prophets and Apostles still exist today and hand translated in every language. If there was no invention of the printing press, the letters still exist. It's the oral words of God that will always be spoken to those who want to hear.
oral ?

We are divided on His written Bible .the o.o says No letters ,no ot.

Would Christianity exist if the books of the Bible had never been gathered together?
If yes, what would it look like?

It would look like the early Church who did not have the scriptures. However, the Apostles who established the Churches wrote the letters that were inspired.

JLB

Oral in that which God told the Prophets to write down and oral as in what God gave to Jesus to speak, John 12:49, 50, as the disciples witnessed and testified of Him.

We are divided on His written Bible .the o.o says No letters ,no ot.

I'm talking about the Tanakh and the Torah which God told His prophets many times to write certain things down as even Christ quoted many of those writings. Under the better covenant of God's grace through faith in Christ Jesus when the disciples were sent out into the nations they wrote many letters to the churches.

Oral in that which God told the Prophets to write down and oral as in what God gave to Jesus to speak, John 12:49, 50, as the disciples witnessed and testified of Him.

I'm talking about the Tanakh and the Torah which God told His prophets many times to write certain things down as even Christ quoted many of those writings. Under the better covenant of God's grace through faith in Christ Jesus when the disciples were sent out into the nations they wrote many letters to the churches.
you do know that the Jewish bible is in different order then ours and at the first century they decided to forego the extra books,centuries before our bible.

there is no sentences ,verses in Hebrew or chapters .its translated to English but not found the same way .

my,point is the op says no bible .

the masoretic text is some 10 centuries after Christ .

? I founded an organization that did not have a book at first. All the information was transmitted orally through a class I taught. I waited to write the textbook until I had had enough time to document a lot of contributors. I wanted to present all sides of the issue not just mine. I think information has been available through the Holy Spirit long before Christ came, while he was here, and after he went home. I always get in trouble when I say this, but the Bible is still being written in our hearts. When the H.S. tells me things I write them down. People always ask how do I know it is the H.S. talking to be. It is because it happens when I pray and meditate; he only tells me loving things; it all lines up with scripture. We may never have a new edition of the Bible, but we will always have the Holy Spirit.?

Would Christianity exist if the books of the Bible had never been gathered together?

Today, which is probably the point you are making, the Church would be even more of a disaster than it is today, if we didn’t have the scriptures.

We can see what shape we are in, with the scriptures. :drool

It’s unimaginable to think what the church would be like today, without the scriptures.

At the same time, it’s only by the grace of God and the anointing of the Spirit we have the Church as a functioning body today.

JLB

you do know that the Jewish bible is in different order then ours and at the first century they decided to forego the extra books,centuries before our bible.

there is no sentences ,verses in Hebrew or chapters .its translated to English but not found the same way .

my,point is the op says no bible .

the masoretic text is some 10 centuries after Christ .

I totally agree. The Tanakh only had 24 books broken down into three stages:
1. The Torah (the teachings) with its five books
2. The Prophets with its eight books
3. The Writings resulting in the Hebrew Bible we know today.

The first Christian Bible divided some of the original Hebrew texts into two or more parts and added verse and chapter, which adds up to 39 books, being 10 more books then the original Jewish Bible. By adding book, chapter and verse makes it easier to find certain scriptures, but yet breaks up the flow of scriptures and the full context of the original.

It's a very interesting and in depth study for anyone who would be interested in studying the history of the Jewish Bible how it came to be written.

I think it would be a way bigger mess than it is today. I mean, having a most trusted source such as the early scriptures as a foundation already created many denominations and beliefs, I could picture no source and just word of mouth. Jesus would have said whatever anyone wants him to have said.

Would we have just automatically (meaning, by the Spirit) ended up with the same Christianity if we did not have the New Testament scriptures?

It would look like the early Church who did not have the scriptures. However, the Apostles who established the Churches wrote the letters that were inspired.

JLB
What's interesting is our scriptures would be the Law and the Prophets. :shock
(Half the church just fainted, lol. :lol )

We'd look a lot more like Jews than modern Christians, lol.

Today, which is probably the point you are making, the Church would be even more of a disaster than it is today, if we didn’t have the scriptures.
At first I thought that was the underlying point of my question.
But maybe in the absence of the authority of NT scripture we'd all just do what we felt we should do and there would be less conflict. That would be a disaster in and of itself in regard to the faith, but it may have resulted in far less warring factions being formed over the interpretation of scripture. There would be no NT scripture to interpret/misinterpret.

Reactions: JLB
I totally agree. The Tanakh only had 24 books broken down into three stages:
1. The Torah (the teachings) with its five books
2. The Prophets with its eight books
3. The Writings resulting in the Hebrew Bible we know today.

The first Christian Bible divided some of the original Hebrew texts into two or more parts and added verse and chapter, which adds up to 39 books, being 10 more books then the original Jewish Bible. By adding book, chapter and verse makes it easier to find certain scriptures, but yet breaks up the flow of scriptures and the full context of the original.

It's a very interesting and in depth study for anyone who would be interested in studying the history of the Jewish Bible how it came to be written.
I posses a chumash .it was my,grandparents its thicker then any,bible with commentary

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back