Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

GPS

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Kathi

I am going into unfamiliar territory soon.I have a tendency to get lost and loose my sense of direction in remote areas.I am thinking of buying a GPS to guide me.Can anyone recommend a user friendly GPS with maybe a direction finder on it?Does anyone have one or has had one in the past that you really liked.I want it to be simple for novice people like me :) Thanks

Garmin. I have read that the TomTom units are good, but i have no hands on experience with them.
my buddy had a couple garmins and they seemed to work well.

they're probably ok for your use, however, remember what Robert Heinlein said..."Never trust anything more mechanical than a knife and fork'

I can attest to this, I have had both Mapquest and Google maps both give wrong directions before...just sayin'...:)

http://www.pcworld.com/product/collection/1649/top-5-gps-devices.html

TomTom's are much quicker and easier to use than garmins. (I've used both). and TomTom's are a lot less expensive(I just get a used one off crgslist).
One advantage of garmin unexpectedly was more 'points' (stores, banks, gas stations) stored/located in them.

Beware ! ---- some of them now require ONLINE access / programming to activate them - stay away from those.

If you can't use one in a few minutes to get a route planned, don't buy it.... keep looking.

Well,I did alot of research and I ended up buying a Garmin 5 inch 2555LMT.I am a very practical person and I don't buy alot of things that are not necessary but I hate to get lost.I am going to be traveling some pretty remote territory.I was told not to get a used one.

Garmin. I have read that the TomTom units are good, but i have no hands on experience with them.
my buddy had a couple garmins and they seemed to work well.

they're probably ok for your use, however, remember what Robert Heinlein said..."Never trust anything more mechanical than a knife and fork'

I can attest to this, I have had both Mapquest and Google maps both give wrong directions before...just sayin'...:)

http://www.pcworld.com/product/collection/1649/top-5-gps-devices.html
I have gotten some bad directions on Mapquest and Google maps.

I am going into unfamiliar territory soon.I have a tendency to get lost and loose my sense of direction in remote areas.I am thinking of buying a GPS to guide me.Can anyone recommend a user friendly GPS with maybe a direction finder on it?Does anyone have one or has had one in the past that you really liked.I want it to be simple for novice people like me :) Thanks
Well,I did alot of research and I ended up buying a Garmin 5 inch 2555LMT.I am a very practical person and I don't buy alot of things that are not necessary but I hate to get lost.I am going to be traveling some pretty remote territory.I was told not to get a used one.

How in any way did you do a lot of research AND buy a gps between these two posts !?

Friends,on line reviews.
((4 minutes ago))

So, ...... I still don't get it...... how did you check with friends and on line reviews and get a GPS in the last couple hours ?
or did I miss something ?

((10:22PM yesterday))

((40 minutes ago))

((4 minutes ago))

So, ...... I still don't get it...... how did you check with friends and on line reviews and get a GPS in the last couple hours ?
or did I miss something ?

((10:22PM yesterday))

((40 minutes ago))
Well,it is 10:20PM now where I am.I just ordered it.I posted it at 8:22PM.In two hours I can talk to a couple of friends and go on-line to check our ratings reviews easily.

Well,it is 10:20PM now where I am.I just ordered it.I posted it at 8:22PM.In two hours I can talk to a couple of friends and go on-line to check our ratings reviews easily.

WAY COOL! :sohappy that's about a hundred gazillion times faster than the government can do anything ! :) :sohappy

(and it usually takes me 3 days or more to find a way to get a tire fixed! ..... 'fast' just isn't in my vocabulary for getting things done)

and I'm sorry for thinking you posted the first post after already getting a gps..... just couldn't see it happening that fast !

WAY COOL! :sohappy that's about a hundred gazillion times faster than the government can do anything ! :) :sohappy

(and it usually takes me 3 days or more to find a way to get a tire fixed! ..... 'fast' just isn't in my vocabulary for getting things done)

and I'm sorry for thinking you posted the first post after already getting a gps..... just couldn't see it happening that fast !
Well of course I am Wonder Woman.I just go into a phone booth and put on my cape.. :biggrin2

I've had a Garmin nuvi 255W for about 5 years now and it's been great. You can purchase updated maps and other countries on SD cards and update when you want which is handy when the keep building and changing roads :biggrin I think the new models come with lifetime updates free sometimes.

Congrats, Kathi. That's what I would have told you to buy, a Garmin.

Now, get used to working it. Here's two videos that will take you thru the Garmin:

The User interface (different commands and features):

And the Navigation:

The guy uploaded even more videos if you need to get more detailed. Both videos together takes under a half an hour to watch, and will be worth it so you are familiar with your new device.

How in any way did you do a lot of research AND buy a gps between these two posts !?

You can do quite a bit online in 72 minutes. I've never heard of Tomtom before, but a Google search only took 0.16 seconds. Within 2 seconds I was on their website reading about their products. Things happen very fast on the Internet.

The TOG​

Congrats, Kathi. That's what I would have told you to buy, a Garmin.

Now, get used to working it. Here's two videos that will take you thru the Garmin:

The User interface (different commands and features):

And the Navigation:

The guy uploaded even more videos if you need to get more detailed. Both videos together takes under a half an hour to watch, and will be worth it so you are familiar with your new device.
Thanks for the videos those are going to come in real handy.I was a little nervous about how to use it. :)

I have a garmin, and it has worked quite well. As a side note, once you get it and start playing with it, you will see that you can change the vehicle avatar to different things (mine is an x-wing), and the voice of the "person" providing directions. I have found it pretty easy to use. Let me know if you have any questions once it arrives.

I have a garmin, and it has worked quite well. As a side note, once you get it and start playing with it, you will see that you can change the vehicle avatar to different things (mine is an x-wing), and the voice of the "person" providing directions. I have found it pretty easy to use. Let me know if you have any questions once it arrives.
Thanks I might do that.The videos are helpful.Once I get it do I have to charge it?Will it be ready to go?

I used to have a Garmin with an English woman's voice on it and loved it. Too bad it's now outdated.

I love the GPS with the English woman because:

1) She actually knew where she was going
2) She did not get upset or yell at you if you made a wrong turn
3) And when she was not giving instructions she'd shut up. :lol

But in all seriousness, my wife does all the driving for us, and except for #2, she's like that English woman if I was driving, as she is quiet and not like the stereotypical talkative wife. I'm more the yappy one, actually. But she is quicker on the reaction and a better intuitive sense where to turn than I am.

Back