Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

GPS

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Thanks I might do that.The videos are helpful.Once I get it do I have to charge it?Will it be ready to go?
It is pretty much ready to go right out of the box. One thing you may want to do to make sure the maps are up to date is plug it into your computer and install the software that will allow you download map and software/firmware updates.

I used to have a Garmin with an English woman's voice on it and loved it. Too bad it's now outdated.

I love the GPS with the English woman because:

1) She actually knew where she was going
2) She did not get upset or yell at you if you made a wrong turn
3) And when she was not giving instructions she'd shut up. :lol

But in all seriousness, my wife does all the driving for us, and except for #2, she's like that English woman if I was driving, as she is quiet and not like the stereotypical talkative wife. I'm more the yappy one, actually. But she is quicker on the reaction and a better intuitive sense where to turn than I am.
I am surprised that a male likes to have a female tell him how to get somewhere :lol When I was married my husband liked me to drive more than himself.

I am surprised that a male likes to have a female tell him how to get somewhere :lol When I was married my husband liked me to drive more than himself.

I prefer the female voice also. :)

I have some advice. When you're out and about using it, at the same time, pay attention to your environment and the sky also. You might be able to notice patterns of nature which would help you in the future if the GPS got broken. the land, sun, moon, stars, trees, plants, animals, sky and clouds can give many clues about direction and so forth. you just have to be used to your area and learn what to look for. Like for instance, in my area, most of the trees will have their bigger branches southward and most of the plant life leans to the south. the sun always rises eastwardly and sets westwardly. Around noon time the sun is actually south. Look at the tops of the trees on hills, the branches will generally lean towards the N/NE because the prevailing winds mostly come from the SW around here. The wind can blow from any direction but the pattern of most winds is s/sw to the n/ne. If it's overcast and you can't see the sun, the heat energy still gets through so the south side of rocks will generally be warmer to the touch. I also suggest using a compass alongside of the GPS. It's a lot faster than a GPS and will keep you moving faster more consistently than a GPS alone.

I have some advice. When you're out and about using it, at the same time, pay attention to your environment and the sky also. You might be able to notice patterns of nature which would help you in the future if the GPS got broken. the land, sun, moon, stars, trees, plants, animals, sky and clouds can give many clues about direction and so forth. you just have to be used to your area and learn what to look for. Like for instance, in my area, most of the trees will have their bigger branches southward and most of the plant life leans to the south. the sun always rises eastwardly and sets westwardly. Around noon time the sun is actually south. Look at the tops of the trees on hills, the branches will generally lean towards the N/NE because the prevailing winds mostly come from the SW around here. The wind can blow from any direction but the pattern of most winds is s/sw to the n/ne. If it's overcast and you can't see the sun, the heat energy still gets through so the south side of rocks will generally be warmer to the touch. I also suggest using a compass alongside of the GPS. It's a lot faster than a GPS and will keep you moving faster more consistently than a GPS alone.
Thanks that is excellent navagating advise.I was in that area about a month ago.I got lost.I finally found this little store after driving around for a long time.I asked this lady who drove a Franz bakery truck if she knew how to get to my destination.She said "How about you follow me,that is where I am going". That was so nice of her.She proceeded to go down one road then another down a winding road.I could never have found where I was going on my own.Well,I am going into that area again next week.I was worrried.Then something popped into my head.....get a GPS,really good investment and you can afford it now.I love it when those thoughts come into my head. :)

Also what if you do not want to mount the device on you windshield?What if you want to leave it sitting on the seat next to you?Does that work?

Thanks that is excellent navagating advise.I was in that area about a month ago.I got lost.I finally found this little store after driving around for a long time.I asked this lady who drove a Franz bakery truck if she knew how to get to my destination.She said "How about you follow me,that is where I am going". That was so nice of her.She proceeded to go down one road then another down a winding road.I could never have found where I was going on my own.Well,I am going into that area again next week.I was worrried.Then something popped into my head.....get a GPS,really good investment and you can afford it now.I love it when those thoughts come into my head. :)

thank you Kathi. :)

Also what if you do not want to mount the device on you windshield?What if you want to leave it sitting on the seat next to you?Does that work?

Yes it will work.

Not really, since it will just be sliding around on the seat while you are driving. I prefer to have it mounted on the windshield within my field of vision. Less distractions to take my eyes off the road the better.

Think of keeping the garmin in your lap as the same as using your cell phone to text people while you are driving. Not safe at all.

Not really, since it will just be sliding around on the seat while you are driving. I prefer to have it mounted on the windshield within my field of vision. Less distractions to take my eyes off the road the better.

Think of keeping the garmin in your lap as the same as using your cell phone to text people while you are driving. Not safe at all.
I see the issues.I could mount it on my windshield to the side so it does not block my driving view.I wonder if they are stolen easily if someone spots it in your car and your car is locked?A risk of getting your car broken into?

I often use the sun to get my bearings. Being a gnomonist I guess that's normal.

Yes,using the sun is what the seamen used to do.When I am in this area I totally do not know what direction I am traveling in.But I think the GPS could tell me that.

I see the issues.I could mount it on my windshield to the side so it does not block my driving view.I wonder if they are stolen easily if someone spots it in your car and your car is locked?A risk of getting your car broken into?

yes, gps's are hot items. never leave one visible in a parked car - not on the window and not on the seat.

I always take mine out of the bracket and place it under the front seat or in the glove box. Leaving it up in your window is just asking for trouble.

On the GPS one of the options you can use is if you are somewhere you can push "home" and it will just direct you home.How can it do that?When you first get it do you have to program your address into it?

On the GPS one of the options you can use is if you are somewhere you can push "home" and it will just direct you home.How can it do that?When you first get it do you have to program your address into it?

Didn't you know that they have every ones current address ? Big Brother is always watching. :biggrin

Joking. You set it in the menu.

Yup, also you can load favorite addresses into it.

Back