Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is rock music demonic?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
The reason I ask this because when I watched a video that says that "Christian" rock is not possible because of the culture, origins, etc., and that made me think if it is okay to listen to it because the one I listen to isn't full on blaspheming against God, like Crush 40's music, Striving High and Low, etc. So, is rock music inheritly sinful or okay as long the lyrics is not blasphemous?

The reason I ask this because when I watched a video that says that "Christian" rock is not possible because of the culture, origins, etc., and that made me think if it is okay to listen to it because the one I listen to isn't full on blaspheming against God, like Crush 40's music, Striving High and Low, etc. So, is rock music inheritly sinful or okay as long the lyrics is not blasphemous?

I think that depends on what the frequency is of the music. Then depending on the hearts reaction to it it...might be.

Because, there is heavenly music, and there is hellish music, right?

There is a lot of music that is instumental and it would be hard to make a case against that other than frequency and the consequntial feelings which arise from it.

But I don't what frequencies we're talking about that could be demonic. I'm guessing some low frequency?

I think it was 432 ghz is supposed to be some sort of magical frequency or something like that.
Aren't they looking for the lost Chord? Why hasn't anybody found it?

Im not a credible source for advice I'm only giving my current opinion as someone whos.. I guess the best way to describe me is a christian in progress lol
Rock music is something I leaned into heavily when I was being bullied at school and dealing with even worse at home. I think you should ask yourself what your intentions are when you listen to music full stop personally. Are you merely enjoying the senses God gave you? Is it making you feel or think more negatively or positively? Are there outright satanic/manipulative lyrics like some of the previous people mentioned? I feel like this really applies to any music. You have to really look into why you're listening to it, what effect it's having on you etc.

When it comes to christian rock, pop etc... as a 20 year old let me please say this.. its a good thing!!! We really need to dismantle the false stereotypes society is pushing about Christians and I wont get too into that right now but producing music that honours God whilst still sounding "fire" will encourage more young people to find God. I'd really like to use a song as an example as you can see it has MILLIONS of views, a great God honouring message and it doesn't fit with society's stereotype of a religious person. Sorry if links aren't allowed just let me know and I'll remove it and just tell you what its called so you can search it yourself.

This is just one of the songs I've discovered and it has definitely strengthened and encouraged my faith in God.

I'm sure everyone has heard of a song called W.A.P. That is also "pop music" but has a VERY different message behind it.

This is what I mean.

But again this is merely my opinion Im just sharing my opinions to mingle with the community a bit and learn as Im new here and to faith as well. I'm not offering advice because Im not really in a place to do that right now but you've had a lot of in depth advice already which is great.

I realize the conversation has been civil and it is very much appreciated but I have been forced to delete a number of posts for not following the rules of this forum. Replies in this forum are required to remain focused on the original poster's questions and not trail off into other things. There is a discussion thread here that has been started to continue this discussion with more relaxed rules. Sorry.

I realize the conversation has been civil and it is very much appreciated but I have been forced to delete a number of posts for not following the rules of this forum. Replies in this forum are required to remain focused on the original poster's questions and not trail off into other things. There is a discussion thread here that has been started to continue this discussion with more relaxed rules. Sorry.

This thread involved spirituality. That one does not.

But I understand. Rules are rules.

Delete this post. Just wanted to respond without having to start a conversation over it.

God bless,
- H

I know there are those who say that. I grew up with it. Interestingly, 20-30 years earlier the exact same thing was being said about big band jazz. Word for word exact same arguments.

IMO God cares little about the style of music, be it primitive banging on logs or super processed electronica. What is important is the lyric content and the heart and character of the musicians performing it.

As to rock, there is some great christian rock and even christian metal out there. At the same time there are cultic and occult groups singing as well. In my day there were many songs in circulation that were extremely drug empowered. Then there is the rap music of the 90s and early 2000s that glorified violence and misogyny.

So it is a mixed bag. Choose your music carefully and enjoy!

Maybe you will find it , I will read it if you do :) .

Larry Norman voiced a thought just like this .

Why Should the Devil Have All the Good Music?: Larry Norman and the Perils of Christian Rock
I’m of an age to remember that claim. But now some decades later we can see the fruit of that theology. He did not lead a life reflecting the character of Christ and that’s not independent of his theology. The problem is, several bands and rock stars later we find that there is music the Devil uses and it remains his.

I know there are those who say that. I grew up with it. Interestingly, 20-30 years earlier the exact same thing was being said about big band jazz. Word for word exact same arguments.

IMO God cares little about the style of music, be it primitive banging on logs or super processed electronica. What is important is the lyric content and the heart and character of the musicians performing it.

As to rock, there is some great christian rock and even christian metal out there. At the same time there are cultic and occult groups singing as well. In my day there were many songs in circulation that were extremely drug empowered. Then there is the rap music of the 90s and early 2000s that glorified violence and misogyny.

I understand scientific investigation suggests some forms of music hypnotizes the person. The words don’t matter if that is so.

There are former christian worship leaders who are solid atheists today because non-discerning church leaders said “God was there” when the worship leader knew he’d brought the people to that place of consciousness and how he did it. They knew God wasn’t there. After many years of this, they ceased believing there is a God since they knew how to bring the people to a state where they thought it was so.

There are those of us in this thread that play and make music and we will have a practical knowledge of what you speak :) .

Good bottom line .

I understand scientific investigation suggests some forms of music hypnotizes the person. The words don’t matter if that is so.
Iknow that too. A 1-4-1 or a 1-5-1 repeated chord progression can lead to musical hypnosis. And that can be done in any non-aggressive musical style.
There are former christian worship leaders who are solid atheists today because non-discerning church leaders said “God was there” when the worship leader knew he’d brought the people to that place of consciousness and how he did it. They knew God wasn’t there. After many years of this, they ceased believing there is a God since they knew how to bring the people to a state where they thought it was so.
Yes that is sad. BUt IMO the pastors confused the hypnotic feelings generated by the music with the move of the Spirit. Even such things as Leslie speakers can have an emotional impact that some confuse with "feeling the Spirit."

There are those of us in this thread that play and make music and we will have a practical knowledge of what you speak :) .
I have been leading worship on and off since 1976 and probably have seen a lot. I had my suspicions and noticed the effects of certain progressions of chords and notes before I saw any research on it. Since then I have tried to avoid those combinations of chords or notes as much as possible.
Good bottom line .
Thanks.

I’m of an age to remember that claim. But now some decades later we can see the fruit of that theology. He did not lead a life reflecting the character of Christ and that’s not independent of his theology.
Yes , that was why I posted a link , which I will do again . The book is about the good and the bad .

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/25/5964...ood-music-larry-norman-s-battle-for-and-again
The problem is, several bands and rock stars later we find that there is music the Devil uses and it remains his.
Is there some good Christian rock music , yes . For example .

I went to a guided by voices concert at 17. I found myself surrounded by hipsters and…

Blah 😑 it isn’t just Rock that can be satanic and it’s not just the music either..,

The music as part of identity politics has dangerous consequences…

Iknow that too. A 1-4-1 or a 1-5-1 repeated chord progression can lead to musical hypnosis. And that can be done in any non-aggressive musical style.

Yes that is sad. BUt IMO the pastors confused the hypnotic feelings generated by the music with the move of the Spirit. Even such things as Leslie speakers can have an emotional impact that some confuse with "feeling the Spirit."
That’s exactly the problem. It’s in our church as well. A few melodious tunes with good voices at the mic and they claim the Holy Spirit is there. They confuse the effect music has on the soul with God being present.

But, of course, it means that “God being there” is under their complete control. They can literally promise the “presence of God” every time. They essentially “summon” Him.

Jesus once told me during one of these sessions that he doesn’t inhabit the “praises” when they sing about themselves. Last Sunday He told me he doesn’t receive “worship songs” like Waymaker. That song demands He be there or it is singing a lie, which doesn’t improve its being accepted.

Last edited:
The short, in general answer: No, it's not.

The more complex version: It depends what you're listening to and how it's affecting you.

Rock 'n' roll music has had such a profound impact on my life. I'm certain without it, I wouldn't even be here today (right underneath God being there for me) and that's speaking in the past and more recent days. A lot of it I feel speaks to me and expresses what words cannot. It's a music genre I deeply feel and the chosen instruments I love, too (guitar, drums, vocals, and sometimes some sassy jazz instruments thrown in). A lot of it is soothing to me and helps my mind vent in a way. I guess it's a genre that'll always be near and dear to me.

The short, in general answer: No, it's not.

The more complex version: It depends what you're listening to and how it's affecting you.

Rock 'n' roll music has had such a profound impact on my life. I'm certain without it, I wouldn't even be here today (right underneath God being there for me) and that's speaking in the past and more recent days. A lot of it I feel speaks to me and expresses what words cannot. It's a music genre I deeply feel and the chosen instruments I love, too (guitar, drums, vocals, and sometimes some sassy jazz instruments thrown in). A lot of it is soothing to me and helps my mind vent in a way. I guess it's a genre that'll always be near and dear to me.
OK, it makes you feel good. That does not address if it makes you more Christlike. Those aren’t the same.

If something is demonic and you partake of it, you don’t walk
away being morally better than before. That’s how Jesus says we should judge matters, by the results.
And of course it depends what you listen to specifically regarding the rock genre.

Also, just because a person listens to rock music also doesn't mean they're going to adopt some of the reckless behaviors of some rock musicians.

And of course it depends what you listen to specifically regarding the rock genre.

Also, just because a person listens to rock music also doesn't mean they're going to adopt some of the reckless behaviors of some rock musicians.
As a scientist I think in tendencies. It’s clear in the 60s and so on the tendency to do drugs when rock stars did rose. It’s clear some music has inspired reckless, illegal and danger behavior.

Obviously not everyone but is anyone so affected? Good Fight ministries has a presentation on how “shoot ‘em up the school yard” songs preceded school shootings. One so affected is too many.

Last edited:
Back