Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is rock music demonic?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
The reason I ask this because when I watched a video that says that "Christian" rock is not possible because of the culture, origins, etc., and that made me think if it is okay to listen to it because the one I listen to isn't full on blaspheming against God, like Crush 40's music, Striving High and Low, etc. So, is rock music inheritly sinful or okay as long the lyrics is not blasphemous?

Soon there will be a country song about a man's wife, dog, and truck all leaving him. We are in the age of self driving cars.

You could torture me by making me listen to generic rap tbh. There IS good rap, but the stuff that plays on the radio ain't it.
I think there already are a few songs like that and if you play them backwards he gets them all back :lol

This discussion is beginning to stray away from the focus of the OP's questions. Start a new discussion if you wish to discuss this in more detail.

This discussion is beginning to stray away from the focus of the OP's questions. Start a new discussion if you wish to discuss this in more detail.

Sorry. Uh, Music touches the heart when one hears it. Am I right? Most people sing from the heart. But before that the music tones and rythem comes to them and makes them feel...different ways. Depends on what you're listening to how it makes you feel. So in a way you could say the music sort of grabs you by the heart one way or the other. A good intro can help make a song a hit. But Black Sabbath wont make you feel the same way that Bless the Lord oh my Soul will. And that's mostly in the tuning I think. The lower tones elicit different responses. I think Black Sabbath started that? And this is all even before the lyrics. You can't understand the lyrics 99% of the time unless you look up the lyrics. Sometimes it will surprise you.

So don't sing along with a song if you don't know the lyrics. The power of life and death is in the tongue and you don't want to be chanting the wrong things! But higher tuned tones like used in hymns and a lot of pop music doesn't make you feel bad or promote satan. Some of it is high energy music I call it. It makes you feel good. I miss the Andrews Sisters.

The reason I ask this because when I watched a video that says that "Christian" rock is not possible because of the culture, origins, etc., and that made me think if it is okay to listen to it because the one I listen to isn't full on blaspheming against God, like Crush 40's music, Striving High and Low, etc. So, is rock music inheritly sinful or okay as long the lyrics is not blasphemous?
I think the idea that any kind of music is sinful is absurd. It was a big thing in the 80's called the satanic panic. The idea was that listening to Ozzy Osbourne or whatever was turning people into satanists or or otherwise undesirable people unfit for society.

Maybe you will find it , I will read it if you do :) .

Larry Norman voiced a thought just like this .

Why Should the Devil Have All the Good Music?: Larry Norman and the Perils of Christian Rock
So, is rock music inheritly sinful or okay as long the lyrics is not blasphemous?
A bit disappointed to see "Satanic Panic" in this thread

Ok, let me clarify my position here a little so I'm not misunderstood. I actually AGREE that the Devil shouldn't have all the good music. In fact, there was a song by that title back when I first got saved, and I used to get chuckles out of it every time I heard it. The lyrics were classic.

Btw, hawkman, your link doesn't work, but if this is what you were trying to post, this was the song they were playing back in my day : )

I want the people to know that He saved my soul,
But I still like to listen to the radio
They say Rock 'n Roll is wrong, well give me one more chance
I feel so good I wanna get up & dance.
I know what's right, I know what's wrong, I don't confuse it
All I'm really tryin to say is, Why should the devil have all the good music?
I feel good every day, I don't wanna lose it
cuz Jesus is the Rock and He rolls my blues away

They say to cut my hair, they're driving me insane
I grew it out long to leave room nuff for my brai.
But sometimes people don't understand,
"What's a good boy doin in a Rock n' Roll band?"
There's nothing wrong with playing blues licks,
If you've got a reason tell it to my face
Why should the Devil Have all the Good Music?
I've been filled and I feel okay
cuz Jesus is the Rock and He rolls my blues away.

I ain't knockin' the hymns, just give me a song that has a beat
I ain't knockin' the hymns, just give me a song that moves my feet
I don't like none of them funeral marches. I ain't dead yet.

Jesus told the truth, and Jesus showed the way
There's one more thing I'd like to say
They nailed Him to the cross and they laid Him in the ground,
but they should've known you can't keep a good man down
I feel good everyday, I don't wanna lose it
All I wanna, All I wanna, All I wanna say is why should the Devil have all the good music?
Cuz Jesus is the Rock and He rolls my blues
Jesus is the Rock and He rolled my blues
Jesus is the Rock and He rolled my blues away

Geoff Moore and the Distance

Ok, let me clarify my position here a little so I'm not misunderstood. I actually AGREE that the Devil shouldn't have all the good music. In fact, there was a song by that title back when I first got saved, and I used to get chuckles out of it every time I heard it. The lyrics were classic.

Btw, hawkman, your link doesn't work, but if this is what you were trying to post, this was the song they were playing back in my day : )

I want the people to know that He saved my soul,
But I still like to listen to the radio
They say Rock 'n Roll is wrong, well give me one more chance
I feel so good I wanna get up & dance.
I know what's right, I know what's wrong, I don't confuse it
All I'm really tryin to say is, Why should the devil have all the good music?
I feel good every day, I don't wanna lose it
cuz Jesus is the Rock and He rolls my blues away

They say to cut my hair, they're driving me insane
I grew it out long to leave room nuff for my brai.
But sometimes people don't understand,
"What's a good boy doin in a Rock n' Roll band?"
There's nothing wrong with playing blues licks,
If you've got a reason tell it to my face
Why should the Devil Have all the Good Music?
cuz Jesus is the Rock and He rolls my blues away.

I ain't knockin' the hymns, just give me a song that has a beat
I ain't knockin' the hymns, just give me a song that moves my feet
I don't like none of them funeral marches. I ain't dead yet.

Jesus told the truth, and Jesus showed the way
There's one more thing I'd like to say
They nailed Him to the cross and they laid Him in the ground,
but they should've known you can't keep a good man down
I feel good everyday, I don't wanna lose it
All I wanna, All I wanna, All I wanna say is why should the Devil have all the good music?
Cuz Jesus is the Rock and He rolls my blues
Jesus is the Rock and He rolled my blues away

Geoff Moore and the Distance

That's a cool song, I like it. Never heard it before. Now that's a song that the Lord could use to get His foot in the door at a drug house or something. They'd let it play for the beat and whether they understood the lyrics or not it would be speaking to their spirit and soul and heart.

There's a couple other rock bands that I have long suspected they were closet Christians and express it subtly in their lyrics. But isn't that the seed that the Holy Spirit can come and water? If they listen to it, it will touch them in some way. and then maybe, just maybe...one more.

I think the idea that any kind of music is sinful is absurd. It was a big thing in the 80's called the satanic panic. The idea was that listening to Ozzy Osbourne or whatever was turning people into satanists or or otherwise undesirable people unfit for society.

Well those are just the knee jerkers. You're still being fairly short sighted about music though.

I'm not sure if you have heard that there is a spiritual war going on? The spiritual war is very real. I largely grew up in the 80's. I remember all that stuff was going on. I remember Black Sabbath had to go to court because some kid got high and listened to their music, and then killed his mom or something like that. So somehow I don't think it was so absurd satanic panic to that family.

Music is one of the most powerful things in the world and is used by satanists and Believers alike. Why else is the music professional worth 250 million dollars? Why are top professionals in other fields struggling with less than a grand in the bank?

There is a good reason for that. Because music is powerful. It also has just a wee bit (Lol) to do with the spiritual war that I spoke of.

I have to go to work, but I'll post a little later on about why the Devil actually does have most of the good music these days unfortunately.

It's a bit tragic, but spiritual warfare is very real.

God bless,
- H

Ok, a trip through yester-year...

Let's start here. How have we gotten to the place where stuff like this is now being foisted upon the international public, at the grammies no less?

It goes back to what I was posting earlier. Satanists have had a deliberate plan in place, going back decades now, to subvert Western culture through art following the teachings laid down by Aliester Crowley. With this as their objective, I honestly don't think they've cared much about non-Christian artists filling up the airways and internet with songs about their love life or their sex life. It's harmless at best, and morally corrupting when more blatant, which goes along with their agenda anyway. The big problem was whenever a blatantly Christian band came along and start gaining popularity, especially in rock music, which is the subject of this thread. Every time it has happened, something has always taken place to cause things to be torn apart, and I think it has been no accident. The last thing Satanists want is someone coming along to win souls AWAY from Satan through music when they have been working behind the scenes to secretly yet ultimately gain control over the music industry, and there are numerous videos that could be posted on just how much success they appear to be having these days.

Case in point. Back when I was a newborn Christian there was a Christian band called Kings X that was growing in popularity. Some say they were never truly Christian, but their Christian roots were obvious. The bass player/ lead singer wrote songs about how his grandmother prayed for him constantly as a boy, and the guitar player was heavily into writers like C.S. Lewis, and wrote some songs based on Lewis's books.

They were starting to gain recognition and fame because they were good, especially the guitar player, who last checked is still in the top 100 of the greatest guitar players of all time (84th).

ty-tabor-b2fd7d35-56d2-446b-b3cc-bbc2e52c915-resize-750.jpeg

I had a Christian guitar player friend who tried out for Pantera back then, and when I turned him on to Kings X, he recognized what others in the music industry did as well, just as I had. Tabor was extremely tasteful. His leads were so good you couldn't stop listening to him. It just echoed in your head, and you kept playing it over and over again. The theme to this song was about the dangers of making yourself a prisoner to earthly passions, but the lead from 2:36 on is/was an example.

So what happened? This is where it gets dark, and read through the next several posts first before passing judgment. I believe they got spiritually attacked and subverted, and it was no accident how things played out. At the height of their success in the mid 90s, Kings X went on tour with Ronnie James Dio, the Satanist who had previously sung for Black Sabbath but was now doing solo work. This is purely conjecture on my part, but it would have been a very simple thing for anyone in Dio's crew to steal personal items belonging to the band and have them brought to Satanists who used them to place all kinds of spells over the members. The lead singer of Kings X did in fact turn Satanist some years later, but even more tragic story is what happened to the guitarist. Ty Tabor loved his wife dearly, but got seduced one night into committing adultery, and his wife left him over it. He was so crushed that he was never the same, and basically spent the next 15 years writing some of the saddest music you have ever heard in your life. He dropped every illusion about being a "star" and wanted nothing to do with it anymore, and largely disappeared from the public eye, back into devoting his time to writing and playing whatever he wanted, but much of it centered on losing the love of his life.

He was still writing about the whole thing as of about 5 years ago. He's "Johnny Guitar" in this song, the point being that he realized he was never a "god" and got lied to, seduced and deceived. All he ever was was a guitar player. The blood on his hands during the lead expressed the suffering he went through when he found out success was starting to destroy him.

This was not the only time Dio would be associated with an up and coming Christian artist who then suddenly disappeared from the music scene, but I will save that for another post.

Last edited:
That's a cool song, I like it. Never heard it before. Now that's a song that the Lord could use to get His foot in the door at a drug house or something. They'd let it play for the beat and whether they understood the lyrics or not it would be speaking to their spirit and soul and heart.

There's a couple other rock bands that I have long suspected they were closet Christians and express it subtly in their lyrics. But isn't that the seed that the Holy Spirit can come and water? If they listen to it, it will touch them in some way. and then maybe, just maybe...one more.

I think the most effective ones have been the crossover artists, in that some of the songs they wrote weren't blatantly religious, but they touched hearts nonetheless, and turned people on to their music, which eventually then turned them on to their faith.

There have been several... Amy Grant did it, so did Jaci Valesques. There have been several Country artists, and numerous black artists with backgrounds in Gospel.

Ok, a trip through yester-year...

Let's start here. How have we gotten to the place where stuff like this is now being foisted upon the international public, at the grammies no less?

It goes back to what I was posting earlier. Satanists have had a deliberate plan in place, going back decades now, to subvert Western culture through art following the teachings laid down by Aliester Crowley. With this as their objective, I honestly don't think they've cared much about non-Christian artists filling up the airways and internet with songs about their love life or their sex life. It's harmless at best, and morally corrupting when more blatant, which goes along with their agenda anyway. The big problem was whenever a blatantly Christian band came along and start gaining popularity, especially in rock music, which is the subject of this thread. Every time it has happened, something has always taken place to cause things to be torn apart, and I think it has been no accident. The last thing Satanists want is someone coming along to win souls AWAY from Satan through music when they have been working behind the scenes to secretly yet ultimately gain control over the music industry, and there are numerous videos that could be posted on just how much success they appear to be having these days.

Case in point. Back when I was a newborn Christian there was a Christian band called Kings X that was growing in popularity. Some say they were never truly Christian, but their Christian roots were obvious. The bass player/ lead singer wrote songs about how his grandmother prayed for him constantly as a boy, and the guitar player was heavily into writers like C.S. Lewis, and wrote some songs based on Lewis's books.

They were starting to gain recognition and fame because they were good, especially the guitar player, who last checked is still in the top 100 of the greatest guitar players of all time (84th).

View attachment 14929

I had a Christian guitar player friend who tried out for Pantera back then, and when I turned him on to Kings X, he recognized what others in the music industry did as well, just as I had. Tabor was extremely tasteful. His leads were so good you couldn't stop listening to him. It just echoed in your head, and you kept playing it over and over again. The theme to this song was about the dangers of making yourself a prisoner to earthly passions, but the lead from 2:36 on is/was an example.

So what happened? This is where it gets dark, and read through the next several posts first before passing judgment. I believe they got spiritually attacked and subverted, and it was no accident how things played out. At the height of their success in the mid 90s, Kings X went on tour with Ronnie James Dio, the Satanist who had previously sung for Black Sabbath but was now doing solo work. This is purely conjecture on my part, but it would have been a very simple thing for anyone in Dio's crew to steal personal items belonging to the band and have them brought to Satanists who used them to place all kinds of spells over the members. The lead singer of Kings X did in fact turn Satanist some years later, but even more tragic story is what happened to the guitarist. Ty Tabor loved his wife dearly, but got seduced one night into committing adultery, and his wife left him over it. He was so crushed that he was never the same, and basically spent the next 15 years writing some of the saddest music you have ever heard in your life. He dropped every illusion about being a "star" and wanted nothing to do with it anymore, and largely disappeared from the public eye, back into devoting his time to writing and playing whatever he wanted, but much of it centered on losing the love of his life.

He was still writing about the whole thing as of about 5 years ago. He's "Johnny Guitar" in this song, the point being that he realized he was never a "god" and got lied to, seduced and deceived. All he ever was was a guitar player. The blood on his hands during the lead expressed the suffering he went through when found out success was starting to destroy him.

This was not the only time Dio would be associated with an up and coming Christian artist who then suddenly disappeared from the music scene, but I will save that for another post.
Poor Tabor... :sad

I think the most effective ones have been the crossover artists, in that some of the songs they wrote weren't blatantly religious, but they touched hearts nonetheless, and turned people on to their music, which eventually then turned them on to their faith.

There have been several... Amy Grant did it, so did Jaci Valesques. There have been several Country artists, and numerous black artists with backgrounds in Gospel.

Aretha!

When I was still working before my disability came through, I used to invite the Lord to go with me to work every day and we would talk in the truck inbetween services while driving. And I guess I wasn't feeling particularly talkative or something so I switched on the radio.

I heard it plain as day. Please turn the radio off. I went :oops2 click. I haven't listen to it since, lol. Talk to Him instead.

This guy was actually Jewish bit he wanted to write a Christian song. I like it.

Poor Tabor... :sad

I need to pray for him again.

They made no allusions about things or themselves after departing from the faith, and even asked for prayer in the following song, so I haven't given up on them, especially him. Saw them in Baton Rouge one night roughly 15 years ago and stood right in front of him the whole time. They had already distanced themselves from Christianity by this time, but I was wearing a blatantly Christian T-shirt and he kept glancing at me like "I hope you mean business by that T-shirt," LoL. The following may not be appropriate, but I've always wondered if I wasn't one of the ones who inspired this song.

Hope he makes it.

And if you feel that what you think is true
If you found peace deep inside of you
If your faith made a mountain move for you then
Don't forget to pray for me, hear me now

If you think that Jesus has saved you
Mother Mary's waiting there for you
If you think that God has spoke to you then
Don't forget to pray for me, hear me now

Pray for me
Pray for me
If you really do believe
Then don't forget to pray for me
Hear me now

If you think there's heaven when you die
Waiting for your freedom for your life
When you pray does Allah answer you
Then don't forget to pray for me, hear me now

And if you live in the promised land
And your temple will be built again
If Moses brought you out of pharaoh's hands
Then don't forget to pray for me, hear me now

Pray for me
Pray for me
If you really do believe
Hear me now

You know, every day I look at God
All around me, so near yet so far
If you think you're better off than me
Oh, hear me now

Pray for me
Pray for me
If you really do believe
Hear me now

I heard it plain as day. Please turn the radio off. I went :oops2 click. I haven't listen to it since, lol. Talk to Him instead.

LoL! Might be best.
This guy was actually Jewish bit he wanted to write a Christian song. I like it.

That was the early 70s I think, back when things started heating up. The Jesus Movement was back then, and a lot of people actually came to Christ through it. Granted, this was in the aftermath of the whole Hippie Movement, so things were a little loose. But they came to Christ nonetheless, Lol. Many of those from the Jesus Movement became serious Pentecostals in the next decade, when things were still real. Shame those days have faded, and we've gone the way of Christian commercialism and the Megachurch model.

But that's another story for another thread.

Last edited:
It's the lyrics that can be troublesome .

Hey, Jason. Thought I would mention this before I forgot, since it is relevant to the topic of whether rock music is "evil" or not. It's not just the lyrics that can convey an evil spirit. It's hard to listen to really dark stuff and not come away with the impression you are listening to something evil, regardless of what the lyrics might be saying. The words can be saying, "I love you, Buttercup," but the music sounds more like he's saying "I wanna put you in a wood chipper and feed you to the birds."

Music conveys emotion by its very nature. I'll give a few examples. Both of the following would be classified as "rock" (the 2nd one is Progressive, but that's actually a form of rock music) and both are purely instrumental, yet one conveys a very negative emotion while the other conveys a more positive one.

Below is actually a good example of why David Lee Roth eventually left VH, btw. He liked writing up-beat, fun stuff about women and partying and things like that, but didn't have control over the band's creative direction, and eventually came to refer to Eddie Van Halen's music as "morose." Eddie had a dark spirit about him that could sometimes come through loud and clear in his music:

Contrast that with this. It's more complex, but despite not being Christian it's nevertheless a lot more peaceful and relaxing. Granted, peaceful and relaxing to others might be more like soft classical, but the following demonstrates how it is never just the lyrics. Music itself always conveys a spirit. The lyrics will identify WHY music is either heavy or light, and sometimes songs can be heavy for what some might refer to as the "right" reasons, but music in and of itself always conveys a spirit, whether it be good or evil, peaceful, angry, depressing, morose, joyful etc. It's something you'd even pick up from bummed out country songs if you took the words out. The good ones are trying to make you FEEL the pain of losing your tractor, not just tell you about it. They want you to cry all night about it, and then go out and buy their music the next day, so you can feel even more sorry for yourself tomorrow.

I used to be into Megadeth back when I was playing in my last band, and we did a few of their songs. This was still very early into the Metallica/ Megadeth era. I recall hearing something about him converting after I came to Christ, and there were some strong suggestions that he might have in stuff like Symphony of Destruction, which borrowed heavily on the Biblical theme of the Antichrist. But then he was still playing, so I wondered if his conversion was real or not.

Crazy dude. Sweating Bullets still brings back memories. So does Wake Up Dead. Nowadays I think I'd just as soon listen to a real symphony and skip the creepy histrionics, Lol.
i was just thinking about today how "send me your money" by suicidal tendencies highlights some sinful hipocrisy of a fake christian- while probably trying to play on same team as the devil
then again, the whole money collection thing tends to be an argument of atheists- surely its just a sinner pretending to be a follower of god. imagine the kind of karma those con-men have racked up for them? brave or stupid.
afaik sweating bullets is just about a demented man in a psych ward... but then again, mental illness is very much tied to possession

Well those are just the knee jerkers. You're still being fairly short sighted about music though.

I'm not sure if you have heard that there is a spiritual war going on? The spiritual war is very real. I largely grew up in the 80's. I remember all that stuff was going on. I remember Black Sabbath had to go to court because some kid got high and listened to their music, and then killed his mom or something like that. So somehow I don't think it was so absurd satanic panic to that family.

Music is one of the most powerful things in the world and is used by satanists and Believers alike. Why else is the music professional worth 250 million dollars? Why are top professionals in other fields struggling with less than a grand in the bank?

There is a good reason for that. Because music is powerful. It also has just a wee bit (Lol) to do with the spiritual war that I spoke of.
I agree with you that music is powerful. I did know about the spiritual war that is being waged as we speak, and I was too quick in my reply. But I believe the reaction to those murders proves my point.

It was a completely manufactured panic that was used to justify various murders that took place at the time because they couldn't find another motive. Ask yourself, what's more likely, that the kid listened to Sabbath and it made him want to become a murderer, or that he already was harbouring those thoughts and simply acted on them?

Because it took place during the satanic panic years, the media and many Christian groups, used it to further justify the panic. In the 90's, things cooled down a bit. People relaxed and it was a pretty good decade.

But then in the 2000's video games became the new great evil that was causing people to become murderous. I think all of this is simply a way for people to justify something they otherwise cannot explain. Like murder without an obvious motive, or a significant change in the culture.

I believe the story of Cain and Abel shows us the truth of who we are. We are evil creatures that can justify any heinous action, even genocide, within five minutes. Our human emotions are more than enough to make us do unspeakable things. We don't need music or any other outside stmuli to influence us one way or another.

And can I just say, as someone who plays guitar, I would be very annoyed if someone tried to cast blame on me for something I had nothing to do with. Imagine how Ozzy felt after being blamed for those murders. Imagine how Marilyn Manson felt after being blamed for Columbine.

It's disgusting and Christians should be better than that since we read scripture. We know what even the most timid amongst us are capable of.

How is it that country music get a pass?

Willey nelson?

Beer for my horses and whiskey for my men .
Pro pot and gay rights but but country is ok for worship ..

Like I said it's not just country or rock

Van Halen?

Seriously .Ou812 ,roth being worldly as they all do .

The waltz was very controversial for it's time .Elvis who originated with country gospel ,I have heard him sing .

Aretha Franklin like Mariah Carey ,the later hardly pro Jesus both started on a worship team .

Neither was Rock and roll.carey Is soul and r and b .she also has pushed some pro gang stuff .

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back