Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[__ Science __ ] SCIENCE HATES CHRISTIANITY?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

GodsGrace

Staff member
CF Ambassador
I've been considering why there is this big debate between science and Christianity.
One seems to explain HOW things happen, and one seems to explain WHY things happen.
It seems to me there is no conflict.
So why create one?

Why are persons such as Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins, Lawrence Krauss, devoting much of their life to degrading Christianity and trying to convince others to hate religion as much as they do?

Why do they feel so threatened?

Why is Intelligent Design such a distasteful idea to these persons, who are scientists and should be looking for the truth - whatever it may be.

I'd like to ask one of our members how the eye can be explained by evolution,
and how the cell can be explained by evolution. Macro evolution.

It would be nice if our resident scientist joined in too.

Barbarian
Uncle J

I've been considering why there is this big debate between science and Christianity.
One seems to explain HOW things happen, and one seems to explain WHY things happen.
So why create one?

Why are persons such as Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins, Lawrence Krauss, devoting much of their life to degrading Christianity and trying to convince others to hate religion as much as they do?

Why is Intelligent Design such a distasteful idea to these persons, who are scientists and should be looking for the truth - whatever it may be.

It would be nice if our resident scientist joined in too.

Barbarian
Uncle J
There have been many great scientists and thinkers who believe in God, are Christians, etc.

So why create one?
It depends on the individual. There is no shortage of Christians who have no problem at all with science and the conclusions it's reached.

They are what I refer to as "evangelical atheists". IOW, they're no different than all the religious folks who spend time trying to convert people to their beliefs.

"Intelligent design" was a legal/political strategy that was crafted as a means to sneak creationist arguments into public school science classes. It failed utterly at that years ago and ever since has been effectively dead. No one is pushing to get it taught in schools and no one ever did any actual scientific research into it.

So if you're a Bible-believing Christian creationist, it's best to stick to that and just let "intelligent design" go.

If you don't mind, can I ask why? Both of those are fairly complex subjects that require a good understanding of anatomy, physiology, genetics, and evolutionary biology.

Are you looking for explanations that include all of those things? If so, do you have a working knowledge of them? If not, would you be okay if we were to refer you to some sites and resources that explain those things in basic terms?

Or are you looking for someone to spend lots of time basically teaching a weeks-long course?

There have been many great scientists and thinkers who believe in God, are Christians, etc.
I agree.
Which is my whole point.
Why are they so against God today?
Darwin seems to have begun a whole wave of scientists that no longer needed God to
explain anything. Evolution has become the new God.

So is evolution true or not?
And what does it all matter?
Why do scientists make such an issue of it if it can't really be accepted by all of them?

Why is Intelligent Design so frightening?

Could it be for only scientific reasons?
Or is there more involved...

I agree.
Which is my whole point.
Why are they so against God today?
Darwin seems to have begun a whole wave of scientists that no longer needed God to
explain anything.
Again, there are lots of scientists who are theists. And atheism didn't suddenly start after Darwin wrote On the Origin of Species.

Evolution has become the new God.
So is evolution true or not?
It's directly observed reality. We see evolution result in new traits, genetic sequences, and species all the time.

And what does it all matter?
Why do scientists make such an issue of it if it can't really be accepted by all of them?
I don't think there's anything that's 100% accepted by everyone.

Why is Intelligent Design so frightening?
It's not. It's dead.

It depends on the individual. There is no shortage of Christians who have no problem at all with science and the conclusions it's reached.
H J.
I'm one of the above.
If a conclusion is accepted, generally, by most scientists, then I'm good with it.
My only problem is that ideas are always changing.
Even Einstein's theory of relativity has been corrected, or, at least, expounded upon.
I'm referring to time.
It's not static, and neither is the speed of light, as it turns out.

They are what I refer to as "evangelical atheists". IOW, they're no different than all the religious folks who spend time trying to convert people to their beliefs.

Agreed.

"Intelligent design" was a legal/political strategy that was crafted as a means to sneak creationist arguments into public school science classes. It failed utterly at that years ago and ever since has been effectively dead. No one is pushing to get it taught in schools and no one ever did any actual scientific research into it.

I would agree to the above.
Except that unproven scientific theories are being taught in schools as if they were empirically proven.
I really dislike this.

So if you're a Bible-believing Christian creationist, it's best to stick to that and just let "intelligent design" go.

Oh no!
Because ID makes a lot of sense to me.
I think it should be studied more seriously by all - except some seem to be afraid of finding what they don't want to find.

If you don't mind, can I ask why? Both of those are fairly complex subjects that require a good understanding of anatomy, physiology, genetics, and evolutionary biology.

I asked if you'd like to discuss this and I think you said yes.
If not, you don't really have to participate.

Are you looking for explanations that include all of those things? If so, do you have a working knowledge of them? If not, would you be okay if we were to refer you to some sites and resources that explain those things in basic terms?

Or are you looking for someone to spend lots of time basically teaching a weeks-long course?
You know I'm not a scientist, and really, I'm not even an intellectual.

But I'd really like to understand how evolution could be possible. As a Biologist, I'd like your understand of just two things...

1. The eye. If the eye had to evolve, does that mean that man was blind for who knows how long until the eye was fully developed?

2. The cell. I've seen some of James Tour's talks on the cell.
It blew me away.
HOW is that explained? Information in a cell. Moving parts.
And DNA....
HOW does that come about by evolution?

No weeks course necessary. Maybe one or two posts.
Your opinion.

This couldn't be by some type of design by a very powerful being?

Again, there are lots of scientists who are theists. And atheism didn't suddenly start after Darwin wrote On the Origin of Species.

It's directly observed reality. We see evolution result in new traits, genetic sequences, and species all the time.

Isn't this microevolution?

I don't think there's anything that's 100% accepted by everyone.

It's not. It's dead.
I think it's just coming to life.
I understand that consciousness is next on the frontier.

H J.
I'm one of the above.
If a conclusion is accepted, generally, by most scientists, then I'm good with it.
That's the case with most religious folks. For example, the vast majority of people who agree with scientists on evolution (including human evolution) are theists.

My only problem is that ideas are always changing.
Some are, some aren't. While all conclusions in science are tentative, it's extremely unlikely we'll be changing our conclusions on things like that the earth is a sphere, that it orbits the sun, etc.

I would agree to the above.
That's good!

Except that unproven scientific theories are being taught in schools as if they were empirically proven.
I really dislike this.
Do you have specific examples?

Oh no!
Because ID makes a lot of sense to me.
I think it should be studied more seriously by all - except some seem to be afraid of finding what they don't want to find.
Well, you should probably take that up with the ID creationists themselves. They never bothered to do any actual scientific research into it. They even shut down their sham of a "research arm" years ago.

I asked if you'd like to discuss this and I think you said yes.
If not, you don't really have to participate.
I'm just trying to gauge what specifically you're looking for.

1. The eye. If the eye had to evolve, does that mean that man was blind for who knows how long until the eye was fully developed?
Humans evolved from non-human primates, who also had eyes, and their ancestors had eyes, as did their ancestors, and so on.

If you want some basic info on the evolution of eyes, try this: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/evolution-of-the-eye/

2. The cell. I've seen some of James Tour's talks on the cell.
It blew me away.
HOW is that explained? Information in a cell. Moving parts.
And DNA....
HOW does that come about by evolution?
Oh, so you mean the origin of the first living things on earth. Basically, that's an unsolved mystery at the moment. That's why scientists continue to conduct research and lab experiments into it.

This couldn't be by some type of design by a very powerful being?
I don't think so, given two things. First, when we look at the inner workings of the cell all we see is chemistry; there's no magic or supernatural things going on. So it stands to reason that the first cells came about via chemistry as well.

Second, no matter where we look in the universe and no matter what we study, all we see are natural processes producing natural outcomes. We don't see gods creating or designing anything anywhere. So it's logical to conclude that the same holds true when it comes to the origin of life.

First, "microevolution" is evolution. That's why it has the term "evolution" in it.

Second, the evolution of new species is macroevolution ("microevolution" being evolution within species), which has been directly observed many times.

I think it's just coming to life.
I understand that consciousness is next on the frontier.
I suppose you're free to that view, but I've not seen any signs that ID creationism is even alive.

I am one of them. The way I see it, our scientific research merely provides explanation based on evidence we have at the level of knowledge we have been given. In other words, we are attempting to explain the world around us as we understand it to be.

Example:
Before we learned that the world was a sphere that rotated around the sun, our understanding was that the sun, moon, and stars rotated around the earth.

So, bottom line is that our scientific studies are trying to explain Godly things using human understanding and God said this...
8 “For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways My ways,” says the Lord.
9 "For as the heavens are higher than the earth,

So are My ways higher than your ways,
And My thoughts than your thoughts."
Isaiah 55:8-9 NKJV

Likewise Paul said this...
11 When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
12 For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.

1 Corinthians 13:11-12 NKJV

That's the case with most religious folks. For example, the vast majority of people who agree with scientists on evolution (including human evolution) are theists.

Some are, some aren't. While all conclusions in science are tentative, it's extremely unlikely we'll be changing our conclusions on things like that the earth is a sphere, that it orbits the sun, etc.

Right. But so much does change.
This makes some of us po' folk not trust science 100%.

Do you have specific examples?

Yes!

When I was going to high school we were taught that the universe always existed.

Now we come to believe that there was a beginning.
This created a problem for macroevolution because the time necessary for big changes was cut down.

Well, you should probably take that up with the ID creationists themselves. They never bothered to do any actual scientific research into it. They even shut down their sham of a "research arm" years ago.

You really cannot do scientific research when it comes to God.
I don't know if there's a way that could be done.
But take the Big Bang theory, for instance.
With the help of Cern in Sw. we've been able to go back to almost the beginning of space and time.
We get stopped just before the bang.
Do you think we'll ever go any further back?
I don't think so. Why?
Because there was NO space or time before that.

I just wish science would take everything into consideration...

I'm just trying to gauge what specifically you're looking for.

No problem. Maybe we just should have derailed a few posts and taken care of this.
It won't go on forever - I'm not that type on any thread.

Humans evolved from non-human primates, who also had eyes, and their ancestors had eyes, as did their ancestors, and so on.

You're not going back far enough.

If you want some basic info on the evolution of eyes, try this: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/evolution-of-the-eye/

No. I read up on it.
I'm saying that it doesn't make sense that the eye EVOLVED.
It seems like something that had to just be put there...
God, or whatever, had to have put the eye in the person already in a functioning condition.

Oh, so you mean the origin of the first living things on earth. Basically, that's an unsolved mystery at the moment. That's why scientists continue to conduct research and lab experiments into it.
Yes, sorry, that's what I mean.
I'm really more interested in the beginning of life.
Not that we're going to get into that discussion.

I don't think so, given two things. First, when we look at the inner workings of the cell all we see is chemistry; there's no magic or supernatural things going on. So it stands to reason that the first cells came about via chemistry as well.

Right. Dr. James Tour is probably the leading Chemist (forget the type) in the world, or at least, one of the top.
He believes there's no possibility that chemicals could have combined to create life based solely on change.

Second, no matter where we look in the universe and no matter what we study, all we see are natural processes producing natural outcomes. We don't see gods creating or designing anything anywhere. So it's logical to conclude that the same holds true when it comes to the origin of life.
Hmmm. Will have to disagree. How can we know?
The Web telescope is give us information we had no way of knowing before.
There's still, possibly, creation still going on!
They say God is a creator.

First, "microevolution" is evolution. That's why it has the term "evolution" in it.
I believe in microevolution.
It's the macro that gives many a problem.

Second, the evolution of new species is macroevolution ("microevolution" being evolution within species), which has been directly observed many times.

I don't see how.
What about the cambrian explosion?
You must know about that as a biologist.
There seems to be an explosion of new life without proof of macroevolution.

I suppose you're free to that view, but I've not seen any signs that ID creationism is even alive.
Well, it seems to me that Atheists are beginning to realize that the system of relative morality cannot work in society.
And if we need objective morality to survive - who makes the decision as to what is moral?

No God
No Morals

What do you think?

They seem to have joined forces with creationists to make science a part of atheism. And that's completely false.

You shouldn't trust science (or anything else IMO) absolutely.

When I was going to high school we were taught that the universe always existed.
That went out about 65 years ago.

This created a problem for macroevolution because the time necessary for big changes was cut down.
Nope, not at all.

You really cannot do scientific research when it comes to God.
I don't know if there's a way that could be done.
Exactly...very well spotted! Gods, by definition, can't be scientifically tested.

But take the Big Bang theory, for instance.
With the help of Cern in Sw. we've been able to go back to almost the beginning of space and time.
We get stopped just before the bang.
Do you think we'll ever go any further back?
I don't think so. Why?
Because there was NO space or time before that.
Honestly, it's not something I pay a lot of attention to. I'm content to let scientists do their work as they see fit and we'll see how it goes.

I just wish science would take everything into consideration...
Like what?

You're not going back far enough.
You presented the question as if you thought humans had to evolve eyes from scratch. That's why I pointed out that we inherited them from our ancestors.

It seems like something that had to just be put there...
God, or whatever, had to have put the eye in the person already in a functioning condition.
This is what I'm talking about. Why would God have to put an eye in a person if they could just inherit it from their parent?

Right. Dr. James Tour is probably the leading Chemist (forget the type) in the world, or at least, one of the top.
He believes there's no possibility that chemicals could have combined to create life based solely on change.
Tour can believe whatever he wants. Currently he's garnering some fame (and probably some $$) going around telling Christians "those darn scientists will never figure this out, so you don't have to worry...God did it", but so what?

It's not like the scientists who research origins are going to shut down their labs and stop their work "because James Tour says so".

Hmmm. Will have to disagree. How can we know?
The Web telescope is give us information we had no way of knowing before.
There's still, possibly, creation still going on!
They say God is a creator.
If they ever find any gods, I'll take notice.

As I showed, macroevolution is an observed fact.

I don't see how.
You don't see how....what?

We don't need "proof of macroevolution"; we've seen it happen.

Have you ever looked into the work paleontologists have done on Cambrian and pre-Cambrian fossils?

Well, it seems to me that Atheists are beginning to realize that the system of relative morality cannot work in society.
And if we need objective morality to survive - who makes the decision as to what is moral?

No God
No Morals

What do you think?
What does that have to do with ID creationism?

And moral relativism is everywhere, including Christianity....unless it's still moral to commit genocide and take little girls as the spoils of war.

You should never "believe in" science. When it accurately predicts things, it's useful. Otherwise, not.

The issue is that every step in the evolution of a complex eye still exists in living organisms. So it's not only possible, we can see how the stages proceeded.

In mollusks, for example.
iu

Evidences for Darwin’s second expectation — of stratomorphic intermediate species -include such species as Baragwanathia27(between rhyniophytes and lycopods), Pikaia28 (between echinoderms and chordates), Purgatorius29 (between the tree shrews and theprimates), and Proconsul30 (between the non-hominoid primates and the hominoids). Darwin’s third expectation —of higher-taxon stratomorphic intermediates — has been confirmed by such examples as the mammal-like reptile groups31 between the reptiles and the mammals,and the phenacodontids32 between the horses and their presumed ancestors. Darwin’s fourth expectation — of stratomorphic series— has been confirmed by such examples as the early bird series,33the tetrapod series,34,35 the whale series,36 the various mammal series of the Cenozoic37 (for example, the horse series, the camel series, the elephant series, the pig series, the titanothere series,etc.), the Cantius and Plesiadapus primate series,38 and the hominid series.39 Evidence for not just one but for all three of the species level and above types of stratomorphic intermediates expected by macroevolutionary theory is surely strong evidence for macroevolutionary theory. Creationists therefore need to accept this fact.
YE creationist Dr. Kurt Wise Toward a Creationist Understanding of Transitional Forms

The Ediacaran fauna was an assemblage of complex animals long before the Cambrian. Many of those animals are ancestors of Cambrian forms.

They seem to have joined forces with creationists to make science a part of atheism. And that's completely false.
Right.
Science and atheism don't really go hand in hand.
I don't know why it's necessary to deny God in science.

Couldn't we say that God put all the laws in force?
For instance, man didn't INVENT mathematics - it was there all along.
we really just discovered it.

If someone/something/some being hadn't put the laws in the creation, how
would science be able to do anything or depend on anything?

You should never "believe in" science. When it accurately predicts things, it's useful. Otherwise, not.

The issue is that every step in the evolution of a complex eye still exists in living organisms. So it's not only possible, we can see how the stages proceeded.

In mollusks, for example.
iu

Evidences for Darwin’s second expectation — of stratomorphic intermediate species -include such species as Baragwanathia27(between rhyniophytes and lycopods), Pikaia28 (between echinoderms and chordates), Purgatorius29 (between the tree shrews and theprimates), and Proconsul30 (between the non-hominoid primates and the hominoids). Darwin’s third expectation —of higher-taxon stratomorphic intermediates — has been confirmed by such examples as the mammal-like reptile groups31 between the reptiles and the mammals,and the phenacodontids32 between the horses and their presumed ancestors. Darwin’s fourth expectation — of stratomorphic series— has been confirmed by such examples as the early bird series,33the tetrapod series,34,35 the whale series,36 the various mammal series of the Cenozoic37 (for example, the horse series, the camel series, the elephant series, the pig series, the titanothere series,etc.), the Cantius and Plesiadapus primate series,38 and the hominid series.39 Evidence for not just one but for all three of the species level and above types of stratomorphic intermediates expected by macroevolutionary theory is surely strong evidence for macroevolutionary theory. Creationists therefore need to accept this fact.
YE creationist Dr. Kurt Wise Toward a Creationist Understanding of Transitional Forms

The Ediacaran fauna was an assemblage of complex animals long before the Cambrian. Many of those animals are ancestors of Cambrian forms.
Re the eye....
until we got to stage 5, above,
were the mulasks blind??

Were apes running around blind until the eye was fully formed - which could have taken
millions of years.

Re the eye....
until we got to stage 5, above,
were the mulasks blind??
How good does vision have to be to be "Not Blind?" For example, a nautilus can form a sharp image with what amounts to a pinhole camera. The slit-shell can tell light areas from dark areas. The limpet can tell from which side the light is coming.

Were apes running around blind until the eye was fully formed
Excellent eyes were evolved long before mammals. Almost all vertebrates have very good eyes. Vision in apes progressed mostly by improved color vision. (useful for diurnal fruit-eating animals)

Right.
Science and atheism don't really go hand in hand.
I don't know why it's necessary to deny God in science.

Couldn't we say that God put all the laws in force?
I certainly believe so. But of course, that's not something science can say anything about. Science is just a method, like plumbing.

For instance, man didn't INVENT mathematics - it was there all along.
we really just discovered it.

Well, there's debate about that. I think you're right. But it's not universally accepted:

Did Humans Invent Mathematics, or Is It a Fundamental Part of Existence?

Speciation is macroevolution. Evolution that does not produce new species is microevolution. It's an artificial distinction; in somecases, microevolution can retroactively become macroevolution. We can talk about how, if anyone is interested.

Speciation is macroevolution. Evolution that does not produce new species is microevolution. It's an artificial distinction; in somecases, microevolution can retroactively become macroevolution. We can talk about how, if anyone is interested.
You're probably going to say that with all the micro changes, eventually we have a new species.

This is the part I have trouble accepting.
Can we even imagine how long that would take?
Millions of years?
And why is this not seen in the earth's crust?

(I'm not a young earth creationist although I may sound like one).

How good does vision have to be to be "Not Blind?" For example, a nautilus can form a sharp image with what amounts to a pinhole camera. The slit-shell can tell light areas from dark areas. The limpet can tell from which side the light is coming.

Excellent eyes were evolved long before mammals. Almost all vertebrates have very good eyes. Vision in apes progressed mostly by improved color vision. (useful for diurnal fruit-eating animals)
The above is what I mean Barb.
How long did it take?
BTW, do you have any articles on the eyes being formed before mammels?

I have read articles on the evolution of the eye - that's not what I mean...
I can't remember the above explanation that you give and would like to know more.

Back