Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Some good Christian heavy metal bands

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
questdriven:

It really does beg the question, doesn't it, why should they feel somehow threatened by your Christian hard rock / heavy metal stance?

As Christians we need to be very sure of our ground Biblically, but, then, if we are, people's different music styles are hardly going to change things. (What they might do, however, is provide opportunities for witness.)

Blessings.

(I gtg shopping now. ttyl.)
If they think it has something to do with my salvation or whether I'm in God's will or not, I can understand their concern. But I do think they're very wrong, especially since it's only their opinion and nothing really backs them up. The Bible certainly doesn't.
It's mostly my stance on other things (that most Christians don't consider important) that they'd have an issue with.

If they think it has something to do with my salvation or whether I'm in God's will or not, I can understand their concern. But I do think they're very wrong, especially since it's only their opinion and nothing really backs them up. The Bible certainly doesn't.
It's mostly my stance on other things (that most Christians don't consider important) that they'd have an issue with.

questdriven:

Have a great day in church, anyhow.

At least you can listen to your music in private.

Blessings.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can find HeavensMetal.com online these days. I tried to provide a linc to one of my favorite bands from the 90s but it didn't get posted so maybe you can find it on You Tube yourselves. It is Savior Machine. OK its another of my wierd ones but I love it and saw the band perform in California.
It is Goth/goth metal. I thought it was beautiful, poetic. I have a couple of dozen metal bands in my collection and hve seen Whitecross play in
a grange hall on the coast. Mortal is another one I like as well as Haven and Bride's Snakes in the Playground. But I found that I really like hard rock better. REZ can't be beat. I was sad to learn that they will no longer host their annual Cornerstone rock festavel. I will try to locate some and post a few lyrics if you are interested.

Carolyn:

Sounds a great idea, ty! :)

(I hadn't realized that Cornerstone was kaputt.)

Blessings.

Whitecross : Triumphant Return : Shakedown. Not everyone who calls Him Lord is gonna walk down those streets of gold. Many will say,
"look at what I did". He'll say " you were neither hot not cold". A tree that bears bad fruit will burn, I want you to be without blame. Your
foundation better be on the Rock, We'll see who's playing games, gonna be a
Shakedown, I want to know where you stand
Shakedown, will you look to Me and take My hand?
Shakedown, I want to know where you stand,
Shakedown
Where your treasure is there your heart will be
Can't trust your wealth or your color TV
Can't serve God and money too,
Can't get to heaven by what you do.
He said "I am the Way to God, You'll have to go through Me.
If you're not with Me, then you're against Me,
One day soon we'll see.

One Bad Pig: Smash: Isaiah 6 My sleep was shattered by blinding light
High and lifted up upon His throne was the great "I AM" and me, alone

Jehovah's glory was all about
All heaven shook with the angel's shout
"Three times holy is this God of Might"

HERE AM I, SEND ME, TAKE ME, USE ME, SPEND ME,
SEND ME, TAKE ME, USE, ME, SPEND ME
I AM NOT MY OWN.

His righteousness screamed that I have sinned,
Holy conviction rips me apart
A coal from the fire burns through to my heart
Clean was I by the Holy King's choice
Then all was still except for His Voice:
"Who will go for us? Whom shall I send?"
chorus

Loony Tune:
On the sacrificial alter in a deli in New York
You might find a leg of Lamb but you won't find no pork.

I've never ever killed a man and I swear I've never lied
But God said "Yourve done quite enough,
You pig, your bacon's fried"

ONE BAD PIG-OUR CLAIM TO FAME
ONE BAD PIG-WHAT A STUPID NAME
ONE BAD PIG-GOD WON'T TAKE HAM
ONE BAD PIG-CHRIST IS THE LAMB

I was a filthy goyim
The worst you'd ever seen
But you can call me "Kosher"
Cuz Jesus mad me clean.

Once to be called chosen
You had to be a Jew
But since we died in Jesus
One Bad Pig is chosen, too.

questdriven:

I agree.

Savior Machine, that Carolyn mentioned, seems to have a presence on the Web, that I've seen, anyway.

You said about liking respectful discussion, which is right. Unfortunately part of the mindset of some Fundamentalists is to want to keep using sweeping statements merely to reinforce their personal tastes and opinions. (Or at least, making cultural customs of years ago the supposed norm for today, and trying to claim the Bible to back them up.) Only when Scripture itself is being expounded should the dogmatic element come in more. I reckon.

Blessings.

OK, farouk, I have to object at this point. I happen to be one of the fightin fundies you mentioned above. Things have changed a lot since
the 50s and 60s when Jerry Lee Lewis' cousin (was it Farwell?) discided that the rock and roll played in black bars was of the devil. But it wasn't
the rythym that was superstitious people thought was evil, it was the lyrics and body language. Christians sancitify the sound by the lyrics and
hopefully modest dress and body language.
Of course, perhaps I still reveal my fundamentalist personaity because I totally lack tact. And I know that the positions of the fundie is not always
popular on this forum. But I never thought such prejudice from YOU, farouk. So I will be surrounded by saints with tats and piercings in Heaven, and you will be surrounded by us fundies. :toofunny

questdriven:

I agree.

Savior Machine, that Carolyn mentioned, seems to have a presence on the Web, that I've seen, anyway.

You said about liking respectful discussion, which is right. Unfortunately part of the mindset of some Fundamentalists is to want to keep using sweeping statements merely to reinforce their personal tastes and opinions. (Or at least, making cultural customs of years ago the supposed norm for today, and trying to claim the Bible to back them up.) Only when Scripture itself is being expounded should the dogmatic element come in more. I reckon.

Blessings.

OK farouk, I am one of those opinionated fightin fundies who makes sweeping statements merely to reinforce my personal tastes and opinions
So If I get to be surrounded by saints with tats and piercings in heaven, may you be surrounded by us fighten fundies.:toofunny

If you ask the fundies I grew up with, they do believe that rhythm is wrong in any song used for worship. But there are different opinions all across the board.

I consider myself a fundie, since I do believe the fundamental doctrines.

If you ask the fundies I grew up with, they do believe that rhythm is wrong in any song used for worship. But there are different opinions all across the board.

I consider myself a fundie, since I do believe the fundamental doctrines.

;You are right. I didn't think that got posted so I tried again. My internet explorer stopped working and shut down.
They thought the rhythm was wrong due to superstions about African music and because they thought the rhythm was sexual. I wanted to reword that.
Anyhow, times are changing and many are abandoning that opinion. I joined a fundie church in 1989, and the first thing I asked the pastor was their position on rock. He was totally open to it and it wasn't many years before we were using it in worship even though it was the tamer stuff like Petra and Audio Adrenalin, which I love. That church still rocks out better than the one I attend now, but we still have a good band that uses worshipful rock.
But I know where you come from. In the 70s I attended a church in which the pastor had mini strokes and returned to the values of his youth. He
came up with some of that stuff and told my I could only listen to hymns, gospel and Bach. Tchaikovsky was sinful. That was when I drew the line
and lived up to the name "fightin fundie". God guided us to a different church. Isn't it great to be released from what I call "the traditions of the Pharasees"? I played pinochle with my former pastor's wife and really enjoyed that church till God moved us again.
Our leadership in both churches confess to having been hippies; though now balding, I have seen photos of their hippie days in the 70s.

Okay:

So...

Thank-you to you (if I may dare call you) hard rocker Fundamentalist ladies, Carolyn and questdriven, for your valuable contributions over the past hours!

Yes, I stand reproved; I guess I was using shorthand - and I probably went overboard - to describe those of a particular mindset, who have yet to be gripped by the style of music that you ladies like.

Yes, I believe in fundamental Biblical doctrine, too, by God's grace.

The term Fundamentalist is derived from a series of papers circulated nearly 100 years ago mainly in the US. (I'm not in the US, actually, and I've not read those papers.) The term is sometimes used by people who, as well as the Bible, advance cultural tastes of their own which have little or nothing to do with the Bible.

So, yes, by God's grace I believe in the Bible's fundamental doctrines, though the term Fundamentalist in some contexts does sometimes obscure as much as it clarifies. (My two cents', at least.)

Ms Carolyn: I have been looking up some of your bands mentioned, above, and some of the lyrics you have kindly copied are a bold testimony for today's Christian music lovers to identify with.

Blessings.

Last edited by a moderator:
;You are right. I didn't think that got posted so I tried again. My internet explorer stopped working and shut down.
They thought the rhythm was wrong due to superstions about African music and because they thought the rhythm was sexual. I wanted to reword that.
Anyhow, times are changing and many are abandoning that opinion. I joined a fundie church in 1989, and the first thing I asked the pastor was their position on rock. He was totally open to it and it wasn't many years before we were using it in worship even though it was the tamer stuff like Petra and Audio Adrenalin, which I love. That church still rocks out better than the one I attend now, but we still have a good band that uses worshipful rock.
But I know where you come from. In the 70s I attended a church in which the pastor had mini strokes and returned to the values of his youth. He
came up with some of that stuff and told my I could only listen to hymns, gospel and Bach. Tchaikovsky was sinful. That was when I drew the line
and lived up to the name "fightin fundie". God guided us to a different church. Isn't it great to be released from what I call "the traditions of the Pharasees"? I played pinochle with my former pastor's wife and really enjoyed that church till God moved us again.
Our leadership in both churches confess to having been hippies; though now balding, I have seen photos of their hippie days in the 70s.

Carolyn:

Wow, so the guy thought that Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake was too 'avant-garde' and 'modern' and therefore 'sinful' for everyone?" :chin I don't joke about sin, and it's a pity when Fundie...umm... fundamentalist gentlemen distort the word.

Blessings.

At the church I attend, the pastor makes it a point that we only use old hymns. He believes that Christian rock is evil, and that churches that use it are full of seducing spirits. Personally my experience from visiting other churches is quite the opposite, so I obviously disagree with him. He does seem to be fine with members disagreeing with him on that.

When you consider that the hymns themselves used to be considered questionable, as was classical music...well. :)

Whitecross : Triumphant Return : Shakedown. Not everyone who calls Him Lord is gonna walk down those streets of gold. Many will say,
"look at what I did". He'll say " you were neither hot not cold". A tree that bears bad fruit will burn, I want you to be without blame. Your
foundation better be on the Rock, We'll see who's playing games, gonna be a
Shakedown, I want to know where you stand
Shakedown, will you look to Me and take My hand?
Shakedown, I want to know where you stand,
Shakedown
Where your treasure is there your heart will be
Can't trust your wealth or your color TV
Can't serve God and money too,
Can't get to heaven by what you do.
He said "I am the Way to God, You'll have to go through Me.
If you're not with Me, then you're against Me,
One day soon we'll see.
Certainly edifying. :)

At the church I attend, the pastor makes it a point that we only use old hymns. He believes that Christian rock is evil, and that churches that use it are full of seducing spirits. Personally my experience from visiting other churches is quite the opposite, so I obviously disagree with him. He does seem to be fine with members disagreeing with him on that.

When you consider that the hymns themselves used to be considered questionable, as was classical music...well. :)

questdriven:

The fact is that some fundamentalists (can I call them fundies?) are so a-historical, that your good and thoughtful observation wouldn't mean much to them, I'm afraid.

(And yes, there are still a few reactionaries around who try to claim that the hymns of Isaac Watts are supposedly an anarchic deviation from the - again, supposedly - correct edition of the metrical psalms that they try to oblige people to use exclusively.)

Blessings.

A Mighty Fortress Is Our God was a beer drinking song sung in German taverns. Luther wrote more godly lyrics for it. But I cant get used to
singing it is other churches because the Lutheran Church I attended sang in in Plain Song form --sort of run on like the way you are supposed
to read poetry so that it makes sense. There were no pauses between periods. I still try to sing it that way so sometimes I am the only one
singing while everyone else pauses at the end of a line. :oops

A Mighty Fortress Is Our God was a beer drinking song sung in German taverns. Luther wrote more godly lyrics for it. But I cant get used to
singing it is other churches because the Lutheran Church I attended sang in in Plain Song form --sort of run on like the way you are supposed
to read poetry so that it makes sense. There were no pauses between periods. I still try to sing it that way so sometimes I am the only one
singing while everyone else pauses at the end of a line. :oops

Carolyn:

Reminds me of what General Booth, founder of the Salvation Army said: 'Why should the devil have all the best tunes?'

Your contributions to this thread are really appreciated and do let us know if you see any more good, witnessing heavy metal lyrics.

Blessings.

..But I do think they're very wrong, especially since it's only their opinion and nothing really backs them up. The Bible certainly doesn't.

questdriven:

I guess it's often a cultural thing. One of the characteristics of a fundamentalist mindset (as opposed to Biblical doctrine) is that the culture of 2 or 3 generations back is somehow elevated to a supposed norm for the present day.

70 or 80 years ago, some pastor's wives weren't 'supposed' to wear blue jeans, pierce their ears or listen to jazz.

Now, pastors' wives wear blue jeans, pierce their ears and many of them are probably okay with jazz, BUT, supposedly it's hard rock that people shouldn't listen to, or get multiple earrings, etc.

The supposed 'issues' in some people's minds have shifted, but the mindset is the same. Whereas it's really a matter of culture, not of right or wrong, or of Biblical doctrine.

And in terms of testimony, it's love for the Lord, for His Word, and for fellow-sinners that are really important, not the cultural trends.

Blessings.

Back