Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

˒ĕlōhı̂m: Plural Persons, or Majesty?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Yes, I do Jesus or Jehovah as the Christ is Holy Spirit of the Father. It worked in the Son of man. Jesus .

The Holy Spirit of adoption by which we can cry out Abba father

God is not a man
This is what you stated in post no. 143:

Jesus, the Son of man is not God .He was born of a woman just like any human and is subject to a person must be born again of God from above

You stated:
1. Jesus is not God.
2. He was born just like any human.
3. He was born with the sin nature and requires being born again of the Spirit.

If you want to call yourself a Christian you must believe:

1. Jesus is God.
2. He was born of a virgin by the Holy Spirit.
3. He was born divine -- God does NOT have the sin nature and He does NOT need to be born again.

You stated:
1. Jesus is not God.
2. He was born just like any human.
3. He was born with the sin nature and requires being born again of the Spirit.
I said the Son of man Jesus was born of a woman. (Dying Flesh and blood)

Jesus confessed he is our brother in the Lord we a call no man on earth our adoption Father by which we can cry out Abba Father.

Yes, Jesus said a man as his own self must be born again. (no exclusion) dying flesh and blood remains the same it cannot profit towards salvation.

His temporal flesh has long retuned to the dust and his born-again spirit to the father who gave it . On the last day under the sun Jesus our brother in the Lord will receive a new incorruptible body

Matthew 12:50 For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.

Mark 3:35 For whosoever shall do the will of God, the same is my brother, and my sister, and mother.

Is Jesus your brother?

Salvation is of the Father the one with power to raise the dead

God is not a man.

Greetings again wondering and Free,

I am not sure what you are claiming above. The reason why I commented on your earlier statement is that in KJV terms the following is saying: "Jesus is GOD (=KJV "Yahweh"), yes, but is He Yahweh?" In other words, "Jesus is Yahweh, but is He Yahweh?"

The above is not exactly what I said,,, however, I'll explain better.

We should start with understanding whether Yahweh is a name or a title.
From what I can understand, it's a personal name given to God, the creator and Almighty.

The meaning of the personal name of the Israelite God has been variously interpreted. Many scholars believe that the most proper meaning may be “He Brings into Existence Whatever Exists” (Yahweh-Asher-Yahweh). In I Samuel, God is known by the name Yahweh Teva-ʿot, or “He Brings the Hosts into Existence,” in which “Hosts” possibly refers to the heavenly court or to Israel...
source: https://www.britannica.com/topic/Yahweh

There are 3 PERSONS in the Trinity contained in 1 BEING.
Jesus is the 2nd Person of the Trinity....He is the Son.
The Holy Spirit is also a Person of the Trinity.

So Jesus is God since He always existed and had no beginning.
But He is not Yahweh. God Father is Yahweh.
The Holy Spirit is also a Person in the Trinity, but He is not Yahweh either.

God, the one and only God in Deuteronomy 6:4 is the one being in whom exist
the Son and the Holy Spirit.
Jesus is the Word or Logos of God
The Holy Spirit is the breath of God.

I will hold on to the personification view and will not comment on your "Greek".

I prefer the KJV rendition as the ESV is contradictory. It says that no one has ever seen God, and yet it is obvious that many had seen Jesus, the Son of God. This proves Jesus is not God.
John 1:18 (KJV): No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.

The above does not prove that Jesus is not God.
It only proves that He is not God Father, Yahweh.
No one has ever seen Yahweh because He is spirit.
He's not a giant man living outside the universe and outside of time.
Jesus, the Word/Logos of God has been seen.
Jesus is the exact representation of God.

John 10:30
I and the Father are one.
John 1:14
And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.
John 8:58
Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am.”

The purpose of the gospel of John is to show how Jesus is God.

Yes, Paul is most probably alluding to Deuteronomy 6:4 which teaches that there is One God, Yahweh, not three Gods and Paul calls this One God as the Father.

One Being = One Person. Yahweh is One.

This is a very shallow argument as there is a difference between Yahweh as "Lord" (Adonai) and Jesus as "Lord" (David's Adon).
In the KJV, God Father is LORD and Jesus the Word is Lord.

Psalm 110:1 is very clear, and this refutes the Trinity.
The Trinity is better seen in the NT, however, the OT also attests to the fact that God is plural.
Elohim is plural.

Jesus is quoting and alluding to Psalm 8 and this clearly proves that the One God, Yahweh, God the Father is the Creator. Jesus is distinguished from Yahweh in Psalm 8 and is distinguished from God the Father, His Father in Matthew 11:25-30.

No Elohim is the One God, One Person, One Being who delights to share His Plan, Purpose and Work through others including Angels, Judges and Jesus.

Kind regards
Trevor
Elohim is a plural name for God.
And The Son, the Word is the one that created everything, as God Father spoke the Word, Jesus created.
Father is the creator, and the Son carries out the creating.
John 1:3
All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made.

I am asking you for specific reasons as to why they’re weak. If you can’t give any other reason than to say they’re weak, then you shouldn’t be making such a claim.

They’re all quite clear, especially Rom 8:9 and 1 Pet 1:11.
Romans 8:9 is your best verse because it looks like the spirit of God and of Christ are equivocated. The rest maintain a distinction.

(Rom 8:9 YLT) And ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God doth dwell in you; and if any one hath not the Spirit of Christ -- this one is not His;
8:9 ὑμεῖς δὲ οὐκ ἐστὲ ἐν σαρκὶ ἀλλ᾽ ἐν πνεύματι εἴπερ πνεῦμα θεοῦ οἰκεῖ ἐν ὑμῖν εἰ δέ τις πνεῦμα Χριστοῦ οὐκ ἔχει οὗτος οὐκ ἔστιν αὐτοῦ

But when I inspect the Greek, I find outos making a distinction. Another isn't of him. I have not found an instance where this word doesn't mean another of similar action.

Romans 8:9 is your best verse because it looks like the spirit of God and of Christ are equivocated. The rest maintain a distinction.

(Rom 8:9 YLT) And ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God doth dwell in you; and if any one hath not the Spirit of Christ -- this one is not His;
8:9 ὑμεῖς δὲ οὐκ ἐστὲ ἐν σαρκὶ ἀλλ᾽ ἐν πνεύματι εἴπερ πνεῦμα θεοῦ οἰκεῖ ἐν ὑμῖν εἰ δέ τις πνεῦμα Χριστοῦ οὐκ ἔχει οὗτος οὐκ ἔστιν αὐτοῦ

But when I inspect the Greek, I find outos making a distinction. Another isn't of him. I have not found an instance where this word doesn't mean another of similar action.
I don't understand what your point is. Paul is clearly equating the Spirit of God with the Spirit of Christ. The first 17 verses are all about walking in the Spirit and what it means to have the Spirit. He contrasts those who do not have the Spirit and cannot please God and those who do have the Spirit and so set their minds on the things of the Spirit.

When we get to verse 9, then, Paul tells the believers that they are in Spirit, not the flesh, if the Spirit of God dwells in them. In the same breath, he says that whoever "does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to him." In other words, such people are not believers but are in the flesh; they don't belong to Christ.

It is worth noting that verse 10 starts with "But if Christ is in you," which would carry on the idea of the Spirit of Christ. And verse 11 begins with "If the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you," and ends with "through his Spirit who dwells in you."

So, Christ is in us. How? Through the Spirit of Christ in each believer. Yet, the Spirit of God, the Holy Spirit, is also said to be in us. The conclusion is that the Holy Spirit is both the Spirit of Christ and the Spirit of the Father; likely called such because it is through the Holy Spirit that Jesus indwells every believer and we are made made to be more like him.

It seems to me that this only makes sense from a Trinitarian perspective. Each of the three persons of the Trinity mutually and completely indwell each other, being of the same substance, yet remain distinct and indivisible.

Greetings again Free and wondering,
Why? Proper and thorough study should always be done to come to an understanding of something in the Bible. And that should certainly include looking into the Greek (and Hebrew).
John 1:1 (KJV): In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
I suggest that a knowledge of Greek does not really help to determine who or what is "The Word" here. I should imagine that we would be on the same level playing field, as both of us could look up reference books which define the Greek word "Logos". Yes, we need to consider all aspects of a passage. I am quite content reading the many "experts" in the various commentaries and I also like to look up numerous Bible versions, and compare where they are different. I looked up many Bibles and except for a few minor variations, they all agree with the KJV here. I disagree completely with the NWT rendition of John 1:1.
There not only is nothing in the context to suggest personification, there is everything to suggest it couldn’t be.
I see a parallel with the Wise Woman Wisdom who was with God in the Creation.
Proverbs 8:1–5 (KJV): 1 Doth not wisdom cry? and understanding put forth her voice? 2 She standeth in the top of high places, by the way in the places of the paths. 3 She crieth at the gates, at the entry of the city, at the coming in at the doors. 4 Unto you, O men, I call; and my voice is to the sons of man. 5 O ye simple, understand wisdom: and, ye fools, be ye of an understanding heart.
Proverbs 8:22–30 (KJV): 22 The LORD possessed me in the beginning of his way, before his works of old. 23 I was set up from everlasting, from the beginning, or ever the earth was. 24 When there were no depths, I was brought forth; when there were no fountains abounding with water. 25 Before the mountains were settled, before the hills was I brought forth: 26 While as yet he had not made the earth, nor the fields, nor the highest part of the dust of the world. 27 When he prepared the heavens, I was there: when he set a compass upon the face of the depth: 28 When he established the clouds above: when he strengthened the fountains of the deep: 29 When he gave to the sea his decree, that the waters should not pass his commandment: when he appointed the foundations of the earth: 30 Then I was by him, as one brought up with him: and I was daily his delight, rejoicing always before him;

To be the one and only Son of God is to be deity, to be God in nature.
Jesus was human nature Hebrews 2:14, Romans 8:3, 1 John 4:1-3.
It is a straw man to think that the doctrine of the Trinity teaches three gods. That there is only one God is a foundation of the Trinity.
I know that is their claim, but in reality they believe in three Gods. They are forced to claim "only one God" because of the clear testimony of the Bible.
In human terms, yes, but not so with God. He is one Being—one substance or essence—with persons.
Same as above.
How, exactly?
The One God, Yahweh, God the Father is clearly distinguished from David's Lord, our Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God.
Of course Jesus is distinguished from the Father; they are not the same person. I see no quoting or allusion to Psalm 8 in Matt 11:25-30.
Psalm 8 speaks of the New Creation in and through Jesus:
Psalm 8:1–3 (KJV): 1 O LORD our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth! who hast set thy glory above the heavens. 2 Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings hast thou ordained strength because of thine enemies, that thou mightest still the enemy and the avenger. 3 When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;

Matthew 11:25–26 (KJV): 25 At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes. 26 Even so, Father: for so it seemed good in thy sight.

Psalm 8:3–6 (KJV): 3 When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained; 4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him? 5 For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour. 6 Thou madest him to have dominion over the works of thy hands; thou hast put all things under his feet:

Matthew 11:27–30 (KJV): 27 All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him. 28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

But, again, there isn’t a single verse in the Bible which clearly or directly states that God is only one person.
Deuteronomy 6:4, 1 Corinthians 8:6.

(Yahweh-Asher-Yahweh)
You need to quote "authorities" that are correct. The Hebrew in Exodus 3:14 is Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh, 1st Person, not 3rd.

Kind regards
Trevor

You need to quote "authorities" that are correct. The Hebrew in Exodus 3:14 is Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh, 1st Person, not 3rd.

Kind regards
Trevor
TrevorL,
Free is super learned on the topic of the Trinity, so I'll be leaving you in his capable hands.

As far as you're reply to me,
I do not post AUTHORITIES to prove anything...
my point is:
Is Yahweh a name or a title?

Is this your reply to my post?
That the AUTHORITY in question didn't say something the way you agreed with?

How about responding to my question instead?

Thanks.

Greetings again wondering,
Is Yahweh a name or a title?
I need to apologise for being abrupt and impatient. Yes, I understand that "Yahweh" is the One God's Name, and there are numerous other Hebrew words that are titles of God.
Is this your reply to my post?
That the AUTHORITY in question didn't say something the way you agreed with?
Possibly there is only a fine distinction between "Ehyeh" and "Yahweh", and the major verses on the subject give some indication of the difference, but even here we need to rely on people who understand the Hebrew.
Exodus 3:12–15 (KJV): 12 And he said, Certainly I will be (S#1961 Ehyeh) with thee; and this shall be a token unto thee, that I have sent thee: When thou hast brought forth the people out of Egypt, ye shall serve God upon this mountain. 13 And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them? 14 And God said unto Moses, I AM (or I will be S#1961 Ehyeh) THAT I AM (or I will be S#1961 Ehyeh): and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM (or I will be S#1961 Ehyeh) hath sent me unto you. 15 And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, The LORD (Yahweh or He will be S#3068) God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations.
@Free is super learned on the topic of the Trinity, so I'll be leaving you in his capable hands.
Perhaps Free is more experienced in trying to fit the Trinity into the OT. Actually I was interested in your following comment:
So Jesus ... is not Yahweh. God Father is Yahweh.
I doubt that few Trinitarians would agree with you here as from my experience they claim that Jesus is also Yahweh. You have taken one step to becoming a Unitarian as we believe that God the Father alone is Yahweh. Perhaps you would find some difficulty reconciling your statement "that Jesus is not Yahweh" with what you say in the following:
Deuteronomy 6:4 is speaking about Yahweh, but above you claim that Jesus is not Yahweh, but somehow the "Yahweh" of Deuteronomy 6:4 also contains Jesus and the Holy Spirit.
Deuteronomy 6:4–5 (KJV): 4 Hear, O Israel: The LORD (Yahweh or He will be S#3068) our God is one LORD (Yahweh or He will be S#3068): 5 And thou shalt love the LORD (Yahweh or He will be S#3068) thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.

Kind regards
Trevor

Last edited:

John 1:1 (KJV): In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
I suggest that a knowledge of Greek does not really help to determine who or what is "The Word" here.
It is actually essential to understanding who the the Word is, if one denies the English translations. The original language is almost always going to be superior to a translation. As anyone who knows more than one language knows, things often get lost in translation since word-for-word translation is either not possible or would make the translation unreadable or incomprehensible.

A very simple example is how often the word "you" appears in the NT, but often in the Greek it is in the plural form, which English does not have. So there are verses which seem to be speaking to an individual, but are actually speaking to all of the disciples or to the whole church, whatever the case may be.

I should imagine that we would be on the same level playing field, as both of us could look up reference books which define the Greek word "Logos". Yes, we need to consider all aspects of a passage. I am quite content reading the many "experts" in the various commentaries and I also like to look up numerous Bible versions, and compare where they are different. I looked up many Bibles and except for a few minor variations, they all agree with the KJV here. I disagree completely with the NWT rendition of John 1:1.
And you should disagree with the NWT; it is not a legitimate translation. But this also shows why it is necessary to understand the Greek--the NWT translation of the passage is not based on a correct understanding of the Greek, not to mention an incorrect understanding of monotheism.

I see a parallel with the Wise Woman Wisdom who was with God in the Creation.
Proverbs 8:1–5 (KJV): 1 Doth not wisdom cry? and understanding put forth her voice? 2 She standeth in the top of high places, by the way in the places of the paths. 3 She crieth at the gates, at the entry of the city, at the coming in at the doors. 4 Unto you, O men, I call; and my voice is to the sons of man. 5 O ye simple, understand wisdom: and, ye fools, be ye of an understanding heart.
Proverbs 8:22–30 (KJV): 22 The LORD possessed me in the beginning of his way, before his works of old. 23 I was set up from everlasting, from the beginning, or ever the earth was. 24 When there were no depths, I was brought forth; when there were no fountains abounding with water. 25 Before the mountains were settled, before the hills was I brought forth: 26 While as yet he had not made the earth, nor the fields, nor the highest part of the dust of the world. 27 When he prepared the heavens, I was there: when he set a compass upon the face of the depth: 28 When he established the clouds above: when he strengthened the fountains of the deep: 29 When he gave to the sea his decree, that the waters should not pass his commandment: when he appointed the foundations of the earth: 30 Then I was by him, as one brought up with him: and I was daily his delight, rejoicing always before him;
Then why don't you consider that Wisdom is very much a part of God, yet here is shown as somehow distinct from him?

Jesus was human nature Hebrews 2:14, Romans 8:3, 1 John 4:1-3.
Of course he was. I am not denying and no Trinitarian would deny that. But in no way does that mean he also wasn't truly God.

I know that is their claim, but in reality they believe in three Gods.
No, they don't. Please stop misrepresenting what the doctrine of the Trinity teaches, which is one God who exists as three coequal, coeternal divine persons.

They are forced to claim "only one God" because of the clear testimony of the Bible.
Monotheism is a foundation of the doctrine of the Trinity. The entire doctrine is based on foundations found in Scripture, which is precisely why the doctrine exists.

Same as above.
Again, God is one Being—one substance or essence—with persons.

The One God, Yahweh, God the Father is clearly distinguished from David's Lord, our Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God.
The Father is always distinguished from the Son, yes, but that doesn't mean the Son isn't also Yahweh.

Psalm 8 speaks of the New Creation in and through Jesus:
Psalm 8:1–3 (KJV): 1 O LORD our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth! who hast set thy glory above the heavens. 2 Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings hast thou ordained strength because of thine enemies, that thou mightest still the enemy and the avenger. 3 When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;

Matthew 11:25–26 (KJV): 25 At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes. 26 Even so, Father: for so it seemed good in thy sight.

Psalm 8:3–6 (KJV): 3 When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained; 4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him? 5 For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour. 6 Thou madest him to have dominion over the works of thy hands; thou hast put all things under his feet:

Matthew 11:27–30 (KJV): 27 All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him. 28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
I don't see how Psalm 8 "speaks of the New Creation in and through Jesus." And I still don't see any direct quotation of Psalm 8 in Matt 11.

Deuteronomy 6:4, 1 Corinthians 8:6.
Again, neither show that to be the case. You didn't address my arguments regarding 1 Cor 8:6:

Simple logic produces two interesting results. First, if "one God, the Father" excludes Jesus (rather, the Son) from being God, it necessarily follows that "one Lord, Jesus Christ" excludes the Father from being Lord. Yet, we know that the latter is not the case; which means that former cannot be the case either.

Second, if "from whom are all things" speaks of the eternal nature and creative action of the Father, it necessarily follows that "through whom are all things" speaks of the eternal nature of the Son and co-creative action of the Son. It simply cannot be otherwise, or we set the verse into contradiction and one of those statements is false.

I believe both my arguments are sound, that is, my conclusions follow from the premises and the premises are true. To disprove either of my arguments, you need to show either that at least one of the premises is false or, if they're true, that the conclusions don't follow from the premises.

(https://thinkbuthow.com/sound-argument/)

However, it's not hard to notice that it completely agrees with John 1:1-3 and Col 1:16-17 and doesn't contradict the Shema.

What I do find interesting is that you agreed that, "Yes, Paul is most probably alluding to Deuteronomy 6:4," in 1 Cor 8:6. What that means is that "one God, the Father" and "one Lord, Jesus Christ," are both "The LORD our God," the one LORD.

Speaking of authorities, I'll show why it is impossible to prove that God is only one person. According to Dr. Michael Brown, who is a Messianic Jew and has a Ph. D. in Near Eastern Languages and Literatures (which makes him a legitimate expert):

There are at least two Hebrew words that mean "one," yachid and 'echad. Yachid means an "absolute unity," that is, if used of God, it would mean he is a single, solitary "unit"--absolutely only one person, as we are. That would obviously mean the Trinity is false.

However, yachid is never used of God. Only 'echad is used of God and that can refer to, although not necessarily, a compound unity—multiplicity within that one, such as “one nation under God;” that one nation consisting of millions of people. Or, as in Gen 2:24, the two "shall become one flesh;" "one" being 'echad. 'Echad is what "one" in English means and is what is used in Deut 6:4, for instance. It does leave the door open for the Trinity although it does not prove it.

That is summarized from his book, Answering Jewish Objections to Jesus, Vol 2: Theological Objections, p. 4. Hence why there is not a single verse that states God is ontologically an absolute unity, only one person.

It's also worth noting that the Greek exegesis I provided also comes from authorities. It's a mix of sources, including but not limited to, M. R. Vincent's Word Studies in the New Testament, Wuest's Word Studies in the Greek New Testament, and The Expositor's Greek Testament.

But it does not show that Jesus is the Father.

I have ever ever said Jesus is the Father.
Jesus is the only Begotten of the Father; The Son.

Jesus is clearly LORD; YHWH the LORD GOD.

Paul plain refers to Jesus as LORD; YHWH the LORD God, our Savior.

Calling upon the name of the LORD (YHWH) is how we are saved.

that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. For the Scripture says, “Whoever believes on Him will not be put to shame.” For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek, for the same Lord over all is rich to all who call upon Him. For “whoever calls on the name of the LORD shall be saved.” Romans 10:9-13

• For “whoever calls on the name of the LORD shall be saved.”

This is a direct quote from Joel is which YHWH the LORD is being identified as Jesus; our Savior.

JLB

Jesus Christ/Yeshua Messiah is a real person in history of flesh and blood who was dead, buried and resurrected, while the "LORD God of the Old Testament" is seated on his throne in heaven the whole time.

Jesus Christ created the heavens and the earth.

He BECAME flesh.

JLB

The word "God" is a modern day invention and did not exist in the days of Christ on Earth. What the Disciples were saying in Hebrew those days was (elohiym.)

John 20:28
Thomas said to him, “My Lord and my God!”

Thomas said to him, My Lord and my (elohiym / god of The Living One.)

In those days the Jews were expecting a (elohiym / god of The Living One) from Heaven.

Luke 9:20
“But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?” Peter answered, “God’s Messiah.”

Psalm 82:6
“I said, ‘You are “gods”; you are all sons of the Most High.’

John 10:34
Jesus answered them, “Is it not written in your Law, ‘I have said you are “gods”’? 35 If he called them ‘gods,’ to whom the word of God came—and Scripture cannot be set aside— 36 what about the one whom the Father set apart as his very own and sent into the world?
Yahshua is a created being.
Proverbs 8

1 Does not wisdom call out?
Does not understanding raise her voice?
2 At the highest point along the way,
where the paths meet, she takes her stand;
3 beside the gate leading into the city,
at the entrance, she cries aloud:
4 “To you, O people, I call out;
I raise my voice to all mankind.
5 You who are simple, gain prudence;
you who are foolish, set your hearts on it.
6 Listen, for I have trustworthy things to say;
I open my lips to speak what is right.
7 My mouth speaks what is true,
for my lips detest wickedness.
8 All the words of my mouth are just;
none of them is crooked or perverse.
9 To the discerning all of them are right;
they are upright to those who have found knowledge.
10 Choose my instruction instead of silver,
knowledge rather than choice gold,
11 for wisdom is more precious than rubies,
and nothing you desire can compare with her.
12 “I, wisdom, dwell together with prudence;
I possess knowledge and discretion.
(See Isaiah 11:2.)

13 To fear the Lord is to hate evil;
I hate pride and arrogance,
evil behavior and perverse speech.
14 Counsel and sound judgment are mine;
I have insight, I have power.
15 By me kings reign
and rulers issue decrees that are just;
16 by me princes govern,
and nobles—all who rule on earth.
17 I love those who love me,
and those who seek me find me.
18 With me are riches and honor,
enduring wealth and prosperity.
19 My fruit is better than fine gold;
what I yield surpasses choice silver.
20 I walk in the way of righteousness,
along the paths of justice,
21 bestowing a rich inheritance on those who love me
and making their treasuries full.
22 “The Lord brought me forth as the first of his works,
before his deeds of old;
23 I was formed long ages ago,

at the very beginning, when the world came to be.
24 When there were no watery depths, I was given birth,
when there were no springs overflowing with water;
25 before the mountains were settled in place,
before the hills, I was given birth,
26 before he made the world or its fields
or any of the dust of the earth.
27 I was there when he set the heavens in place,
when he marked out the horizon on the face of the deep,
28 when he established the clouds above
and fixed securely the fountains of the deep,
29 when he gave the sea its boundary
so the waters would not overstep his command,
and when he marked out the foundations of the earth.
30 Then I was constantly at his side.
I was filled with delight day after day,
rejoicing always in his presence,
31 rejoicing in his whole world
and delighting in mankind.
32 “Now then, my children, listen to me;
blessed are those who keep my ways.
33 Listen to my instruction and be wise;
do not disregard it.
34 Blessed are those who listen to me,
watching daily at my doors,
waiting at my doorway.
35 For those who find me find life
and receive favor from (the Lord / Yahwah.)

36 But those who fail to find me harm themselves;
all who hate me love death.”

Greetings again Free,
the NWT translation of the passage is not based on a correct understanding of the Greek, not to mention an incorrect understanding of monotheism.
I would suggest that the NWT John 1:1 "a god" is wrong as it is an incorrect understanding of John 1:1 and also of true Biblical Unitarianism and an incorrect understanding of the meaning and usage of "Elohim" in the OT. As well the JWs incorrectly define "Wisdom" in Proverbs 8 as the Pre-Incarnate Jesus, possibly as Michael the Archangel. Although this view that Proverbs 8 is Jesus is popular with some Trinitaraians, many accept that the Wise Woman "Wisdom" is a personification.
Then why don't you consider that Wisdom is very much a part of God, yet here is shown as somehow distinct from him?
Yes, Wisdom is very much a part of the One God, Yahweh, God the Father. But as you say "Wisdom" is personified as if it is a separate entity to God. You are one step towards understanding "The Word" in John 1:1.

The following also have partial personifications of the Spoken Word of God:
Psalm 33:6,9 (KJV): 6 By the word of the LORD were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth. 9 For he spake, and it was done; he commanded, and it stood fast.

Isaiah 55:8–11 (KJV): 8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. 9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. 10 For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: 11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

Of course he was. I am not denying and no Trinitarian would deny that. But in no way does that mean he also wasn't truly God.
No, they don't. Please stop misrepresenting what the doctrine of the Trinity teaches, which is one God who exists as three coequal, coeternal divine persons.
Monotheism is a foundation of the doctrine of the Trinity. The entire doctrine is based on foundations found in Scripture, which is precisely why the doctrine exists.
Pardon my ignorance, but these claims are to me contradictory and make no sense to me.
Again, God is one Being—one substance or essence—with persons.
The Father is always distinguished from the Son, yes, but that doesn't mean the Son isn't also Yahweh.
Actually I was interested in the conclusion by wondering and I suggest that a simple reading of Psalm 110:1 defines Yahweh as God the Father. Seeing you both belong to the "Staff", you two should have a "Staff" Meeting, and possibly you may be able to pull rank on this issue.
So, I understand you're saying that Yahweh is not Jesus in Personhood.
Which I would agree with.

I don't see how Psalm 8 "speaks of the New Creation in and through Jesus." And I still don't see any direct quotation of Psalm 8 in Matt 11.
Perhaps if you also add 1 Corinthians 15 and Hebrews 2 and the numerous occurrences of the phrase "all things" in the NT, then you may eventually agree.
Simple logic produces two interesting results. First, if "one God, the Father" excludes Jesus (rather, the Son) from being God, it necessarily follows that "one Lord, Jesus Christ" excludes the Father from being Lord. Yet, we know that the latter is not the case; which means that former cannot be the case either.
This is where your "simple logic" fails. Jesus addresses God His Father as "Lord of Heaven and earth", but Jesus as "Lord" is derived and given to him by God.
What I do find interesting is that you agreed that, "Yes, Paul is most probably alluding to Deuteronomy 6:4," in 1 Cor 8:6. What that means is that "one God, the Father" and "one Lord, Jesus Christ," are both "The LORD our God," the one LORD.
Again you are claiming that Jesus is "LORD", that is Jesus is Yahweh.
However, yachid is never used of God. Only 'echad is used of God and that can refer to, although not necessarily, a compound unity—multiplicity within that one, such as “one nation under God;” that one nation consisting of millions of people. Or, as in Gen 2:24, the two "shall become one flesh;" "one" being 'echad. 'Echad is what "one" in English means and is what is used in Deut 6:4, for instance. It does leave the door open for the Trinity although it does not prove it.
I am not sure if you have ever thought about what Deuteronomy 6:4 is actually teaching. Even if I allow some sort of Unity here, I reject that this is a Tri-Unity. I consider that the first and primary meaning is that in contrast with the many gods of the nations, there is One God, Yahweh, and He is Supreme, He is reliable, He is in control of everything and can be trusted, and hence the verses that immediately follow:
Deuteronomy 6:4–5 (KJV): 4 Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: 5 And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.

The ultimate end of the fact that God is One is that all must come into conformity with this Oneness. All opposition must be overcome, and the last enemy to be destroyed is death. God's purpose is to fill this earth with His Glory. So any Oneness and Unity will be in a multitude, not three.

I also checked the usage of the word "one" in the general context of Deuteronomy, and in none of these is the concept of Unity, even if it is possible. I doubt that Moses' Jewish audience were Trinitarians.
Deuteronomy 1:23 (KJV): And the saying pleased me well: and I took twelve men of you, one of a tribe:

Deuteronomy 4:42 (KJV): That the slayer might flee thither, which should kill his neighbour unawares, and hated him not in times past; and that fleeing unto one of these cities he might live:

Deuteronomy 12:14 (KJV): But in the place which the LORD shall choose in one of thy tribes, there thou shalt offer thy burnt offerings, and there thou shalt do all that I command thee.

Deuteronomy 13:12 (KJV): If thou shalt hear say in one of thy cities, which the LORD thy God hath given thee to dwell there, saying,

Deuteronomy 15:7 (KJV): If there be among you a poor man of one of thy brethren within any of thy gates in thy land which the LORD thy God giveth thee, thou shalt not harden thine heart, nor shut thine hand from thy poor brother:

Deuteronomy 17:6 (KJV): At the mouth of two witnesses, or three witnesses, shall he that is worthy of death be put to death; but at the mouth of one witness he shall not be put to death.

Deuteronomy 21:15 (KJV): If a man have two wives, one beloved, and another hated, and they have born him children, both the beloved and the hated; and if the firstborn son be hers that was hated:

Kind regards
Trevor

The word "God" is a modern day invention and did not exist in the days of Christ on Earth. What the Disciples were saying in Hebrew those days was (elohiym.)

Thomas said to him, “My Lord and my God!”

Thomas said to him, My Lord and my (elohiym / god of The Living One.)

In those days the Jews were expecting a (elohiym / god of The Living One) from Heaven.

Luke 9:20
“But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?” Peter answered, “God’s Messiah.”

Psalm 82:6
“I said, ‘You are “gods”; you are all sons of the Most High.’

John 10:34
Jesus answered them, “Is it not written in your Law, ‘I have said you are “gods”’? 35 If he called them ‘gods,’ to whom the word of God came—and Scripture cannot be set aside— 36 what about the one whom the Father set apart as his very own and sent into the world?
Proverbs 8

15 By me kings reign
16 by me princes govern,
before his deeds of old;

do not disregard it.
waiting at my doorway.

John 20:28 in the Greek reads, "ἀπεκρίθη Θωμᾶς καὶ εἶπεν αὐτῷ ὁ Κύριός μου καὶ ὁ Θεός μου”

“αὐτῷ”, which is the personal pronoun, in the dative, and SINGULAR, which can only mean, TO HIM, that is, JESUS CHRIST.

With the exception of a few LIBERAL versions, "ὁ Κύριός μου καὶ ὁ Θεός μου”, is correctly read: "my Lord and my God". "Θεός" here has the definite article in the Greek, "ὁ", and is "God", and not "god". Where do you get the words, "of the Living One"? This is not represented in ONE Greek manuscript!

Even the Unitarian New Testament, by Dr George Noye, reads: "My Lord and my God"

You say,

This is not true, as even the Jews themselves translate the Hebrew "˒ĕlōhı̂m", by the English "God". The Greek is "Θεός". This is no real objection, as it is a term that is generally accepted by all.

In Isaiah 9:6, one of the Titles of Jesus, Who is the Messiah, is in Hebrew "´ël GiBBôr", which is correctly translated in English, "Mighty God". This is acknowledged by the Jewish Bible website, Chabad.org, where it also reads, "the mighty God". (https://www.chabad.org/library/bible_cdo/aid/15940). Other Jewish websites, like Sefaria.org, have corrupted the Hebrew in English, when they read: "“The Mighty God is planning grace", as there is NO Hebrew for the words, "is planning grace"! (https://www.sefaria.org/Isaiah.9.5?lang=bi&with=all&lang2=en). Their deception is very clear from the fact, as seen in the following chapter (10:21), where Isaiah uses the exact same Hebrew, "´ël GiBBôr", for Yahweh, where this website renders the Hebrew, "Mighty God". Even the Jehovah's Witnesses, who deny that Jesus Christ is GOD, in this verse have translated the Hebrew as "Mighty God" (https://www.jw.org/en/library/bible/study-bible/books/isaiah/9/). Yet, in John 1:1, they also pervert the Greek, "καὶ θεὸς ἦν ὁ λόγος", by reading, "and the Word was a god". This has nothing to do with the Greek, but is purely their corrupt Christology!

It is very clear from the Hebrew Old Testament, which is NOT Christian, that we have TWO distinct Persons, One in Isaiah 9:6, the Prophecy of the Birth of the Messiah on earth, and Yahweh, the Father, in Isaiah 10:21, Who are BOTH called "´ël GiBBôr", with the exact same meaning in English.

These are Bible FACTS.

Proverbs 8

15 By me kings reign
16 by me princes govern,
before his deeds of old;

do not disregard it.
waiting at my doorway.

No where in anything mentioned in this post indicates or states Jesus is a created being.

Jesus created the heavens and the earth.

He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him.
Colossians 1:15-16

• For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth

But to the Son He says:
“Your throne, O God, is forever and ever;
A scepter of righteousness is the scepter of Your kingdom.
You have loved righteousness and hated lawlessness;
Therefore God, Your God, has anointed You
With the oil of gladness more than Your companions.”
And:
You, LORD, in the beginning laid the foundation of the earth,
And the heavens are the work of Your hands.

Hebrews 1:8-10

Jesus is LORD; YHWH the LORD God, creator of the heavens and earth.

The burden of the word of the LORD against Israel. Thus says the LORD, who stretches out the heavens, lays the foundation of the earth, and forms the spirit of man within him: And I will pour on the house of David and on the inhabitants of Jerusalem the Spirit of grace and supplication; then they will look on Me whom they pierced. Yes, they will mourn for Him as one mourns for his only son, and grieve for Him as one grieves for a firstborn. Zechariah 12:1,10

JLB

Psalm 110:1 (KJV): The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool.
In the above passage I understand "LORD" represents the One God, Yahweh, God the Father. The same English word in English, but in lower case "Lord" and here David's Lord, represents our Lord Jesus Christ, a human now exalted to sit at the right hand of the One God, the Father in God the Father's Throne and Jesus did not pre-exist but is the Son of God by birth, character and resurrection.

Now Moses was tending the flock of Jethro his father-in-law, the priest of Midian. And he led the flock to the back of the desert, and came to Horeb, the mountain of God. And the Angel of the LORD appeared to him in a flame of fire from the midst of a bush. So he looked, and behold, the bush was burning with fire, but the bush was not consumed. Then Moses said, “I will now turn aside and see this great sight, why the bush does not burn.”
So when the LORD saw that he turned aside to look, God called to him from the midst of the bush and said, “Moses, Moses!”
And he said, “Here I am.” Then He said, “Do not draw near this place. Take your sandals off your feet, for the place where you stand is holy ground.” Moreover He said, “I am the God of your father—the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.” And Moses hid his face, for he was afraid to look upon God. Exodus 3:1-6

Do you believe the Angel of the LORD is God the Father?

JLB

Greetings again wondering,

I need to apologise for being abrupt and impatient. Yes, I understand that "Yahweh" is the One God's Name, and there are numerous other Hebrew words that are titles of God.
No problem.
I can agree that Yahweh is God's name
and He also has titles, for example Elohim.
Elohim just means gods....there were different elohims in the OT.
But only Yahweh is the creator God that makes Himself be known to mankind beginning in the OT.

Possibly there is only a fine distinction between "Ehyeh" and "Yahweh", and the major verses on the subject give some indication of the difference, but even here we need to rely on people who understand the Hebrew.

I believe (if I remember correctly) that Ehyeh means I WILL BE WITH YOU/I AM WITH YOU.
God will always be with us....now and forever. I AM is a short way of saying this concept.

I AM also means that everything that God is, He is fully.
God IS love. He doesn't represent love, He doesn't show love, HE IS LOVE.
Whatever God's qualities are, He has them completely and perfectly.
This would go into the Divine Simplicity theory.
God is what He is....fully and completely and perfectly.

Exodus 3:12–15 (KJV): 12 And he said, Certainly I will be (S#1961 Ehyeh) with thee; and this shall be a token unto thee, that I have sent thee: When thou hast brought forth the people out of Egypt, ye shall serve God upon this mountain. 13 And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them? 14 And God said unto Moses, I AM (or I will be S#1961 Ehyeh) THAT I AM (or I will be S#1961 Ehyeh): and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM (or I will be S#1961 Ehyeh) hath sent me unto you. 15 And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, The LORD (Yahweh or He will be S#3068) God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations.

The God of your fathers: Abraham and Isaac and Jacob would be Elohim.
The God that presented Himself to the Hebrews at the beginning.

Where are you getting s#3068 from? could you post a link?

Elohim's name forever is Yahweh.
I understand no. 3068 to be EhYeh ---- do you agree?

Perhaps Free is more experienced in trying to fit the Trinity into the OT. Actually I was interested in your following comment:

This was my comment: I hope JLB is following along.

This will also include your following statement.

What we need to establish very clearly is the difference between Elohim and Yahweh and whether or not there is a difference.

To my understanding Elohim means God.
Yahweh explaines WHICH God.
OUR God is named Yahweh.
Also to my understanding Yahweh is the being IN WHICH IS INCORPORATED both the Son, Word, Logos,
and the Holy Spirit.

If by Yahweh we mean ELOHIM, A GOD, then yes, both the Son and the Holy Spirit are that God.
If by Yahweh we mean GOD FATHER, then I'd have to say that the Son and the Holy Spirit are not the Father because all three PERSONS are distinct from one another. Free might want to comment here.

I doubt that few Trinitarians would agree with you here as from my experience they claim that Jesus is also Yahweh. You have taken one step to becoming a Unitarian as we believe that God the Father alone is Yahweh. Perhaps you would find some difficulty reconciling your statement "that Jesus is not Yahweh" with what you say in the following:
LOL No chance of my becoming anything but being a Trinitarian.

Deuteronomy 6:4 is speaking about Yahweh, but above you claim that Jesus is not Yahweh, but somehow the "Yahweh" of Deuteronomy 6:4 also contains Jesus and the Holy Spirit.
Deuteronomy 6:4–5 (KJV): 4 Hear, O Israel: The LORD (Yahweh or He will be S#3068) our God is one LORD (Yahweh or He will be S#3068): 5 And thou shalt love the LORD (Yahweh or He will be S#3068) thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.

Kind regards
Trevor
OK
If by Yahweh we mean THE CRISTIAN ELOHIM, then I'd have to agree that Jesus is THAT GOD that we call YAHWEH.

Genesis 1:1 speaks of GOD, ELOHIM.

Perhaps later on God is identified as Yahweh --- our specific God in the Christian faith.

As to Deuteronomy, yes, LORD would be the I AM. 3068.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back