Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Bible Study ðŸ‘€

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Hmmm , I am going to back track to here with where I went off the rails some , if that is alright Tenchi :) .

The KJV got me in trouble , just one word difference , "that" where an "and" makes things right , IMO .

10 Now therefore let me alone, that my wrath may wax hot against them, and that I may consume them: and I will make of thee a great nation.

In the KJV it seems to be a demand from God to be left alone , but in the translation below not so .

Exodus 32:10 from here https://www.chabad.org/library/bible_cdo/aid/9893/showrashi/true/jewish/Chapter-32.htm , don't know what translation this is :chin !! Does anyone else know ?

10Now leave Me alone, and My anger will be kindled against them so that I will annihilate them, and I will make you into a great nation."

In the above let me paraphrase . IF you leave me alone my anger will be kindled . God knew Moses would take the opportunity left open to him to plead for the wayward Israelites !

So is this a case of God "changing" his mind , not really . I think it was a test given to Moses from God to see which way Moses would go with it .

Did God need anything from Moses ? God did desire interaction with Moses on the events , but did God need Moses's council on what to do , no .

Soldiers , did I pull God out from under the bus ?
It's funny God can even be considered a being to put under the bus in the first place! God needs nothing, He may want things though.

Sorry I never saw this post. God has many names, but the one He told Moses, and the one I did mention was I AM THAT I AM (or I WILL BE WHAT I WILL BE)
Actually sir, He did not tell Moses that was His name, why did you not go on to give what He actually did tell Moses His name was? Was it deliberate, or you were just unaware of what God said. Although He has many titles, God has but one name Soldiers.

Actually sir, He did not tell Moses that was His name, why did you not go on to give what He actually did tell Moses His name was? Was it deliberate, or you were just unaware of what God said. Although He has many titles, God has but one name Soldiers.
Instead of hovering over it and being so direct tell me what you believe it is.

I address I AM WHO I AM (which is also equivalent to YWHW, or Y'hova)

Instead of hovering over it and being so direct tell me what you believe it is.

Not the equivalent, nor His name, as you went on to give as YHWH which is His name. I am was descriptive of basically saying He will become whatever is necessary. YHWH His name means causes to become. God told Moses that would be His name forever, it is found more times than any other name in the Bible, and is rendered Jehovah in English sir.

So my question was, did you deliberately not give His name, or were simply unaware of verse 15 where He gave His name to Moses. It is a critical point Soldiers, as calling on His name is a requirement for salvation Rom 10:13

Not the equivalent, nor His name, as you went on to give as YHWH which is His name. I am was descriptive of basically saying He will become whatever is necessary. YHWH His name means causes to become. God told Moses that would be His name forever, it is found more times than any other name in the Bible, and is rendered Jehovah in English sir.

So my question was, did you deliberately not give His name, or were simply unaware of verse 15 where He gave His name to Moses. It is a critical point Soldiers, as calling on His name is a requirement for salvation Rom 10:13
J doesn't exists in the Hebrew language so his name is Y'hova as I said, your dancing in circles it pointless.

J doesn't exists in the Hebrew language so his name is Y'hova as I said, your dancing in circles it pointless.
Are we speaking Hebrew sir? That is right we are speaking English, so it is rather easy to see how translators render His name into English, unless you reject their application. If you do, then do you reject their entire version as well, or just God's name?

Are we speaking Hebrew sir? That is right we are speaking English, so it is rather easy to see how translators render His name into English, unless you reject their application. If you do, then do you reject their entire version as well, or just God's name?
When are you going to get to the point or are you just trying to buy time? Bomb me with this huge revelation please.

When are you going to get to the point or are you just trying to buy time? Bomb me with this huge revelation please.
Did I not make the point sir? Every single English version of the Bible that translates the Divine name into English renders it Jehovah. Me personally I do not have a problem with that, why is it that you do Soldiers?

Did I not make the point sir? Every single English version of the Bible that translates the Divine name into English renders it Jehovah. Me personally I do not have a problem with that, why is it that you do Soldiers?
Not quite my friend, all execpt the CJB.

Point is you said I didn't mention Jehovah, I said I did, in it's original Hebrew form, I did that to put to rest the theory you had about me "not knowing the 'real' name of God". Which God doesn't have a single name. In fact YHWH is equivalent to Y'hova (Hebrew equivalent for Jehovah), but before 1524, there was no "J"ehovah.

Not quite my friend, all execpt the CJB.

Point is you said I didn't mention Jehovah, I said I did, in it's original Hebrew form, I did that to put to rest the theory you had about me "not knowing the 'real' name of God". Which God doesn't have a single name. In fact YHWH is equivalent to Y'hova (Hebrew equivalent for Jehovah), but before 1524, there was no "J"ehovah.
May I ask what the CJB is sir, I am ignorant of the term. I agree with your Hebrew term, put into pronunciation, many use Yahweh as well. What year was the Bible first translated into English Soldiers, do you rather think that would logically correspond to the rendering of God's name in English? It seems William Tyndale began translating in 1522, so your time period is likely very close. Good research Soldiers.

May I ask what the CJB is sir, I am ignorant of the term. I agree with your Hebrew term, put into pronunciation, many use Yahweh as well. What year was the Bible first translated into English Soldiers, do you rather think that would logically correspond to the rendering of God's name in English? It seems William Tyndale began translating in 1522, so your time period is likely very close. Good research Soldiers.
The CJB (The Complete Jewish Bible) is another English translation nothing more. I don't believe getting all over-detailed about whether to call God Jehovah or Y'hova or Shin matters as much as the spirit in which we do so. If you are addressing the God of the universe with awe-inspired reverence based on His Word and His Will with no malice in your heart or to do it your own way it's ok. (English isn't the only language). God doesn't care about how we pronounciation rather than the motive and reason we do so. To answer your question Jesus would be Yeshua or Yehoshua and Jehovah Y'hova for simply 2 years until J comes in, so it doesn't conflict with timing.

However back to the original point what were you going to bring up with God's name-name being Jehovah and how that coorelates to what you said here: "One thing that puzzles me however, not once did you reveal His name, may I ask why? That would have been one of the first things I mentioned. You came very close to it, one of the verses you posted was an answer to Moses question to Him about what is His name, and you posted a partial reply"

The CJB (The Complete Jewish Bible) is another English translation nothing more. I don't believe getting all over-detailed about whether to call God Jehovah or Y'hova or Shin matters as much as the spirit in which we do so. If you are addressing the God of the universe with awe-inspired reverence based on His Word and His Will with no malice in your heart or to do it your own way it's ok. (English isn't the only language). God doesn't care about how we pronounciation rather than the motive and reason we do so. To answer your question Jesus would be Yeshua or Yehoshua and Jehovah Y'hova for simply 2 years until J comes in, so it doesn't conflict with timing.

However back to the original point what were you going to bring up with God's name-name being Jehovah and how that coorelates to what you said here: "One thing that puzzles me however, not once did you reveal His name, may I ask why? That would have been one of the first things I mentioned. You came very close to it, one of the verses you posted was an answer to Moses question to Him about what is His name, and you posted a partial reply"
Thank you sir, I had no idea what version that was. I guess you do not realize how important names are to God. He personally selected His name, and after the 6th plague placed on Egypt notice what He told Pharaoh: Ex 9:16 but in very deed for this cause have I made thee to stand, to show thee my power, and that my name may be declared throughout all the earth. He does not change sir. His name is in the Bible nearly 7k times. More than any other name, for example Jesus' name occurs less than 1k. Our salvation is dependent upon calling on His name Rom 10:13.

Our conversation began with my question to you after you stated this Soldiers:
God has many names, but the one He told Moses, and the one I did mention was I AM THAT I AM (or I WILL BE WHAT I WILL BE)
And I simply asked you why you stopped there without giving the name God gave Moses. You have given that name since in our conversations, but seem to reject His name in English. Jesus made God's name known Jn 17:26, and since we Christians have been assigned to teach others to observe all the things he commanded, then we too make that name known as well, correct?

Something that may help to see that Jehovah accepts His name in English is seeing it preserved 4 times in the KJ version of the Bible. The translators tried to remove His name from their version, but somehow overlooked those, why? God never leaves Himself without witness, and I believe He prevented them from removing it. After His name became widely known throughout the earth, He has allowed versions to remove it from those places, but I know of none that have removed the shortened form Jah, I don't believe they are able to. Do you know of any versions that have removed it completely Soldiers?

And I simply asked you why you stopped there without giving the name God gave Moses. You have given that name since in our conversations, but seem to reject His name in English. Jesus made God's name known Jn 17:26, and since we Christians have been assigned to teach others to observe all the things he commanded, then we too make that name known as well, correct?

Something that may help to see that Jehovah accepts His name in English is seeing it preserved 4 times in the KJ version of the Bible. The translators tried to remove His name from their version, but somehow overlooked those, why? God never leaves Himself without witness, and I believe He prevented them from removing it. After His name became widely known throughout the earth, He has allowed versions to remove it from those places, but I know of none that have removed the shortened form Jah, I don't believe they are able to. Do you know of any versions that have removed it completely Soldiers?
The name doesn't matter, as much as the spirit behind it.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back