Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

1000 Gap

JM

As a Premillennialist I’ve been plagued with questions and doubts, nagging questions that have gone unresolved and I hope to share them here in hopes of finding answers. I’m not attacking the Premil understand but seeking to resolve a few issues I’ve been having.

The Gap

Mat 13:39 The enemy that sowed them is the devil; the harvest is the end of the world; and the reapers are the angels.
Mat 13:40 As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire; so shall it be in the end of this world.

And:

Mat 13:49 So shall it be at the end of the world: the angels shall come forth, and sever the wicked from among the just,
Mat 13:50 And shall cast them into the furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Clearly and literally, it seems, judgment of the wicked will occur when Christ returns. How is it possible to separate the first resurrection with this judgment by 1000 years?

Mat 25:31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:
Mat 25:32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:

Compare with:

Mat 13:40 As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire; so shall it be in the end of this world.
Mat 13:41 The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;
Mat 13:42 And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.
Mat 13:43 Then shall the righteous shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.

How do we as Premillennialists deal with a literal reading of these Scriptures that Christ returns to earth, gathers all nations before Him and then separates the “sheep†from the “goats?â€Â

We find the resurrection [1 Cor. 15:35-37; 1 Thess. 4:13 – 5:11; 2 Thess. 1:5-10] along with the restoration of all things [2 Pet. 3:3-15] and judgment occurring at the same time. On what basis do we insert a gap between the second coming and the “sheep†and “goats†judgment? Where is the millennial gap?

This Age and the Age to Come

If we have a return or restoration of all things [2 Pet. 3:3-15], what does it mean? Does that mean we have a second fall of humanity during the millennial reign of Christ, after all, there is another rebellion [Rev. 20:7].

Joh 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
Joh 5:25 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.

And:

Rev 20:4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.
Rev 20:5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.

When we read John 5 we get the impression of a spiritual resurrection for those who believe in Christ, how is this first spiritual resurrection not the resurrection spoken of in v. 5 of Revelation 20? If the millennial period is understood in what some call prophetic language, then it’s not a literal 1000 years but a figurative 1000 years. This would mean we have a figurative 1000 year period where Christ is reigning and ruling [Heb. 10:12-13] among believers before the final resurrection when Christ returns to separate the “sheep†and the “goats.†We then can conclude that believers have passed from death to life with a final resurrection on the last day. [John 6:39-40, 44]

The biggest problem I have, besides the insertion of a 1000 year gap between the Second Coming and the final judgment, is the idea of evil existing after the restoration of all things, in the new heaven and new earth, while Christ is on the throne. As a Premillennialist, I believe there will be another revolt against God, where Satan is allowed once again to deceive the nations. Who are those who will take part in this rebellion? If, when Christ returns, the wheat is separated from the weeds [Matt. 13:37-43] and judgment has taken place [Matt. 25:31-46], the elect have been gathered [Matt. 24:30-31], who are the people in unresurrected bodies who are left to take part in the rebellion? Remember, we claim to use a literal hermeneutic, where’s the gap between the first resurrection and judgment? If, when Christ comes, the end does also, how do we justify adding another 1000 years on earth? On the Day of the Lord the “flesh†will be destroyed [1 Cor. 5:5], the resurrection will take place at the last trumpet [1 Cor. 15:52] and judgment occurs. Where is the set up f an earthly Kingdom?

What is “the age to come†and how is it different from the age we live in?

Thx,

~JM~

Luke 16 clarifies the gap. When Jesus returns the righteous will be resurrected to be with Him forever more and will be judged for their works for positional reward, not eternal life.

The wicked will be destroyed physically while their souls are cast into the depths of Sheol/Hades in torment as the rich man until the second resurrection at which time they will be cast into the lake of fire with the devil, his cohorts, Sheol/Hades, and death.

The righteous that were in Sheol were in a place called paradise. This place of the righteous was transferred to heaven at Jesus' ascension. When Jesus told the theif on the cross that he would be with Jesus, he meant that the theif's soul would be in paradise with Abraham and the other righteous souls.

Solo said:
Luke 16 clarifies the gap. When Jesus returns the righteous will be resurrected to be with Him forever more and will be judged for their works for positional reward, not eternal life.

The wicked will be destroyed physically while their souls are cast into the depths of Sheol/Hades in torment as the rich man until the second resurrection at which time they will be cast into the lake of fire with the devil, his cohorts, Sheol/Hades, and death.

The righteous that were in Sheol were in a place called paradise. This place of the righteous was transferred to heaven at Jesus' ascension. When Jesus told the theif on the cross that he would be with Jesus, he meant that the theif's soul would be in paradise with Abraham and the other righteous souls.

Solo, where is the 1000 years in the chp? If anything, v. 16 is speaking of a Kingdom [Spiritual] that we are pressing into, but nothing of a physical Kingdom. In John 17:20 we see the Kingdom doesn't come with observation, where's the gap and the physical Kingdom?

Your premil brother in Christ,

~JM~

JM:

I think I can add another thought regarding the 1000 years (spiritual vs physical). It's simply this: Jesus was promised the throne of King David, which is an earthly (not heavenly) throne.

I think in Christianity we "Gentilized" and "spiritualized" the bible so much that we forget about Israel, the people and the kingdom here on earth, and indeed the purpose of the earth to begin with (and the subject of the bible for that matter). Too many are looking to heaven solely without regards to the earth. But Revelation clearly teaches that there will one day be a new heaven and earth---- so earth is very important in eternity if it is to become new again.

This in itself is adequate evidence to me that Jesus will literally reign here on this earth for the 1000 years. Any other position disregards (and misunderstands) the Messianic hope of the patriarchs which is the central theme of the bible. Why reinterpret it?

Let me add another thought on the angels separating wheat from tares and throwing the tares into everlasting fire vs. Christ doing this in Matthew 24-25.

First of all, I noticed that Matthew 13 is not a detailed prophetic discourse like Matthew 24-25. I do not believe chapter 13 contradicts Matthew 25. Rather, Jesus is merely stating the angels' jobs for want of a better term where they actually do the gathering, separating and casting--- they are the reapers.

Jesus in the other hand, does the judging in Matthew 25, to which he merely lets the angels do the "dirty work". Where in the bible does it say angels judge people? On the contrary, those in Christ will judge angels (being just like God Himself)

A further thing to note in Matthew 25 is that the angels are with Jesus, which further supports what I am saying about their "jobs". Otherwise, why would they be there if Christ does everything? Just to look glorious and awesome? :-D

JM,

I am not sure I understand:

Clearly and literally, it seems, judgment of the wicked will occur when Christ returns. How is it possible to separate the first resurrection with this judgment by 1000 years?

ARe you saying that classical pre-trib puts the sheep and goat judgement AFTER the 1000 years?

If so, then I would disagree! That would be a very poor exegesis of scripture. Why? Because everything else in Rev 24-25 is speaking of the end if THIS age, not the end of the 1000 year age.

I can convinced that the judgement of the nations (ethnos or ethnic groups) will be to determine who will enter into the millennial kingdom. It will take place AFTER the parable of the tares and dragnet. When are the angels sent out? I suggest that they are sent out the moment Jesus hits the atmosphere, and appears as lightning flashing from EAst to West. Some angels are sent out to gather together the elect: Jews from all over the world, and heaven, and other angels are sent out to take lawless people out of the world. Jesus will not put up with lawless people (those that offend, and them which do iniquity, wicked), and they will be cast straight into hell, their bodies left for the vultures. It is the "one taken and one left" scenario that Jesus mentioned. When does Jesus say one will be taken and one left? It will be the "hour" that Jesus returns.

The judgement of the ethnic groups (nations) will be some time later, when Jesus has finished with the battle of Armageddon, and has had time to set up His throne. (Perhaps in the cleansed temple?)

Coop

Vic? Am I off here?

Back