Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study A Question About God

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

HeIsRisen2018

Dramione love 3333
Has anybody ever seen Him or not? Because I just got finished reading in the OT where Micaiah talks about seeing God enthroned and all of the angels in Heaven standing at attention which sounds like a vision to me. As somebody who has had dreams and visions of God, Jesus, and Heaven, it doesn't sound all that unusual for people to have had these same sort of things in the Bible.

However, it goes off to say in the NT in 1 John 4:12 specifically that "no one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and His love is made complete in us." Yet, Jesus brings this point up again later on in John 14:9 "Jesus answered, don't you know me Phillip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say show us the Father?"

So although I'm a bit confused by all of this, I think what it's saying is that nobody has ever seen God directly. Yet I sort of wonder if that's even possible at all since God is a spirit so I'm not even sure if He has features like we do. Although the Bible does state that we were made in His image and I know for a fact He talks to people and so I guess you would need a mouth for that, and He formed man out of dirt so He would have to have hands for that, and eyes to see what He was doing. Anyway, back to my original question. What does the Bible mean when it says that nobody has ever seen God because I'm not sure I quite understand what each of the verses I quoted is trying to say.

Has anybody ever seen Him or not? Because I just got finished reading in the OT where Micaiah talks about seeing God enthroned and all of the angels in Heaven standing at attention which sounds like a vision to me. As somebody who has had dreams and visions of God, Jesus, and Heaven, it doesn't sound all that unusual for people to have had these same sort of things in the Bible.

However, it goes off to say in the NT in 1 John 4:12 specifically that "no one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and His love is made complete in us." Yet, Jesus brings this point up again later on in John 14:9 "Jesus answered, don't you know me Phillip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say show us the Father?"

So although I'm a bit confused by all of this, I think what it's saying is that nobody has ever seen God directly. Yet I sort of wonder if that's even possible at all since God is a spirit so I'm not even sure if He has features like we do. Although the Bible does state that we were made in His image and I know for a fact He talks to people and so I guess you would need a mouth for that, and He formed man out of dirt so He would have to have hands for that, and eyes to see what He was doing. Anyway, back to my original question. What does the Bible mean when it says that nobody has ever seen God because I'm not sure I quite understand what each of the verses I quoted is trying to say.

I said
You know the bible is written in the milk understanding. And there are many stumbling blocks which is something that can go either way. Some people will start guessing(theology) and others will just think that when the time is right God will reveal it to me.

We can have dreams and visions, but never can see Gods face as God is a Spirit without form, but can take on many forms for us to hear Him speak, like the burning bush, Balaam's ass, pillar of smoke Etc. Etc.

Genesis 3:8-10 Adam and Eve only heard the voice of God in the garden and never saw any form of Him

Exodus 24:9-11 Moses and the 70 elders only saw God in some way that they knew it was Him, but no face to face

Exodus 33:17-33 No one can see God's face and live, meaning no mortal could see such brilliance of His glory as it would be like looking straight into the sun that could blind you and cause a brain hemorrhage. Moses only saw God's back parts, which I would believe the dimmer part as God passed by him as the light of His glory faded away from Moses.

John 4:24 God is a spirit without any form that we can see Him, but we can know and see His attributes through Christ

Colossians 1:15 This is speaking about Jesus who is the image of God in all His attributes

1 Timothy 1:17 speaks about God being immortal and invisible and we are still mortal and can not see the immortal yet until Christ returns then we will see Christ and God in all their glory, 1 John 3:1-3.

We can have dreams and visions, but never can see Gods face as God is a Spirit without form, but can take on many forms for us to hear Him speak, like the burning bush, Balaam's ass, pillar of smoke Etc. Etc.

Genesis 3:8-10 Adam and Eve only heard the voice of God in the garden and never saw any form of Him

Exodus 24:9-11 Moses and the 70 elders only saw God in some way that they knew it was Him, but no face to face

Exodus 33:17-33 No one can see God's face and live, meaning no mortal could see such brilliance of His glory as it would be like looking straight into the sun that could blind you and cause a brain hemorrhage. Moses only saw God's back parts, which I would believe the dimmer part as God passed by him as the light of His glory faded away from Moses.

John 4:24 God is a spirit without any form that we can see Him, but we can know and see His attributes through Christ

Colossians 1:15 This is speaking about Jesus who is the image of God in all His attributes

1 Timothy 1:17 speaks about God being immortal and invisible and we are still mortal and can not see the immortal yet until Christ returns then we will see Christ and God in all their glory, 1 John 3:1-3.

Thanks, it seems like you always have the right answers to my question as that last post didn't answer my question in the slightest bit. Sorry Squeaky no offense or anything. :sorry

I said
You know the bible is written in the milk understanding. And there are many stumbling blocks which is something that can go either way. Some people will start guessing(theology) and others will just think that when the time is right God will reveal it to me.
your annoying :shock

Thanks, it seems like you always have the right answers to my question as that last post didn't answer my question in the slightest bit. Sorry Squeaky no offense or anything. :sorry

I said
That's ok and don't worry I cant be offended. So just say what ever is on your mind.

You know, I still have one question since you stated here that nobody could look at the face of God and live, but will it be any different once we get to Heaven?

You know, I still have one question since you stated here that nobody could look at the face of God and live, but will it be any different once we get to Heaven?

Yes, when as 1 Corinthians 15:53 says, For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. Then we will see Him in all His brilliance of glory when Christ returns.

Yes, when as 1 Corinthians 15:53 says, For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. Then we will see Him in all His brilliance of glory when Christ returns.

So that explains why even though I really want to see His face now, that God keeps telling me no, I have to wait until I get to Heaven to see Him. Patience is a virtue, so I guess all good things come to those who wait. :yes Just like waiting until Joey and I are together again permanently. :biggrin

Last edited:
Oh and just for the record, one of the main and major reasons that I asked this question is that I wanted to confirm that what I was hearing God say to me went with scripture so that I knew it was really Him speaking to me since sometimes I get confused and I don't know how to tell, but it looks like it does. :)

Oh and just for the record, one of the main and major reasons that I asked this question is that I wanted to confirm that what I was hearing God say to me went with scripture so that I knew it was really Him speaking to me since sometimes I get confused and I don't know how to tell, but it looks like it does. :)

it's always good to get confirmation when it comes straight from the word of God :yes

But you cannot see my face, because no one can see me and live. Exodus 33:20 NCV
Expdus 33:11
New International Version
The LORD would speak to Moses face to face, as one speaks to a friend. Then Moses would return to the camp, but his young aide Joshua son of Nun did not leave the tent.

And in the same chapter no less lol!

I have heard it taught that in verse 11, God is speaking plainly. In verse 20, Moses has essentially just asked, "What are your plans for these people?" (Your glory).

Not even the Son knows the day and hour...

In other words, it's a big complicated world we live in, and How God manages all of it is pretty spectacular.

Where it says speaking to God face to face just means you are talking to Him one on one like you talk to a friend this way without anyone else present. It's like I said in post # 8 as we are still housed in this flesh body and could not see the brillance of God's glory as it would be like looking directly into the sun that would blind the retina and possibly cause a brain hemorrhage that could kill us.

Where it says speaking to God face to face just means you are talking to Him one on one like you talk to a friend this way without anyone else present. It's like I said in post # 8 as we are still housed in this flesh body and could not see the brillance of God's glory as it would be like looking directly into the sun that would blind the retina and possibly cause a brain hemorrhage that could kill us.

That just goes to show that whenever God says no to us it's because of the fact that He loves us and is only looking out for our best interest.:yes

I've often entertained the thought that it could have been Jesus, too. Like when Abraham spoke with Him before He destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah.

I've often entertained the thought that it could have been Jesus, too. Like when Abraham spoke with Him before He destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah.

The Bible teaches that there is only one God. (Isaiah 43:10, Isaiah 44:6-8, Isaiah 45:22, 1Peter 1:2)

The Bible teaches that there is one who is called Jesus and is identified as being God. (John 1:1-3; 14-18, John 20:28-29, 1 John 1:1-4; 5:20, Philippians 2:5-8, Revelation 1:17-18, Revelation 22:12-20)

The Bible teaches that there is one who is called the Holy Spirit and is identified as being God. (John 14:16-17, John 15:26, John 16:7-15, Acts 5:3-4, Acts 13:2, 1 Corinthians 12:4-18, Hebrews 9:14, Hebrews 10:15-18)

I agree. Verse 11 even mentions he is speaking plainly, like a friend.

A few verses down, an improper understanding where God says nobody can see his face without dying would seem to contradict verse 11 where he is speaking face to face with Moses.

Within the narrative, Moses is distressed and has concern for Israel because God was going to wipe them out and start fresh with Moses, but through the intercession of Moses, God concedes. Moses now wants to know how God will fulfill his promise to Abraham. He wants to know who will guide them when he is gone. He wants to see Gods face, plainly with all its glory.

Man cannot fathom the riches and depth of Gods love. Our ways are not His ways. We cant wrap our minds fully around what He is doing.

This event is in direct line with the transfiguration of Jesus where Moses is in the presence of the Messiah.

So that explains why even though I really want to see His face now, that God keeps telling me no, I have to wait until I get to Heaven to see Him. Patience is a virtue, so I guess all good things come to those who wait. :yes Just like waiting until Joey and I are together again permanently. :biggrin

1 Corinthians 13:11-12
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

The Bible teaches that there is only one God. (Isaiah 43:10, Isaiah 44:6-8, Isaiah 45:22, 1Peter 1:2)

The Bible teaches that there is one who is called Jesus and is identified as being God. (John 1:1-3; 14-18, John 20:28-29, 1 John 1:1-4; 5:20, Philippians 2:5-8, Revelation 1:17-18, Revelation 22:12-20)

The Bible teaches that there is one who is called the Holy Spirit and is identified as being God. (John 14:16-17, John 15:26, John 16:7-15, Acts 5:3-4, Acts 13:2, 1 Corinthians 12:4-18, Hebrews 9:14, Hebrews 10:15-18)
I'm not understanding what you mean by "identified as being God." I believe Jesus is God, not some representation of God. He is God in human form and that explains it enough for me to understand why men can see Him face-to-face but not in His full glory.

Back