Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[_ Old Earth _] A Question about your views on Evolution/Creationism.

Evolution or Creationism

• Total voters

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

4billonyear

The title really says what I want to ask. What do you see as the theory for the foundation and beginnings of life?
Evolution or Creationism? Please put some proof with your answer. Thank you.

(Oh and put in comments with proof and answer the poll.

Evolution. The evidence is everywhere. Also, creationism doesn't suffice the scientific criteria of a theory.

In the beginning God. How much further than the beginning are you seeking? Your poll is restricted to two selections; there are more or at least conditions.

Creationism.

Evolution is defined as a slow gradual process of change. There is no fossil evidence of this slow gradual transition from what it was to what it became.

We'll start there.

Creationism for me. A few reasons, one being the account of genesis--yeah, you could argue that the first few parts could be viewed as allegorical (as the account of the garden of Eden does in some ways I admit seem more allegorical than literal, although at this time I don't believe that's the case), but the rest (Abraham and all that) seems to be actual history. Why would it shift gears all of a sudden?
As far as actual science is concerned, well--okay, it's been a long time since I read up on anything to do with the arguments for creation vs evolution. (At some point in the future I should probably pick it up again.) The basic gist of the conclusion I came to is that genetics don't work that way--you lose information over time, not gain it.

But I'm not one of those who rejects the idea of theistic evolution, either. Yeah, I used to buy the whole nine yards, that those who accept evolution are compromising and not helping the rest of us. Okay, granted that if creationism could be proven to the whole world bring doubt, that would be a big point in Christianity's favor. People would be compelled in their minds to acknowledge that God exists. That much is true.
But accepting creation would hardly be a requirement of salvation, and I have to roll my eyes when Answers in Genesis decries those Christians in prominent positions who dare voice agreement with the evolution theory. Not that I think AiG is bad; I actually think they have some good material.

:lol
Dysfunctional or not, love your brother as yourself.
I absolutely refuse to love spiders, they get put out in the cold or smooched.
You mean smooshed don't you? Or do you give them a kiss as you kick them out the door? :poke

Last edited:
Why I believe the Bible’s record of the origin of life.

“In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.” Gen 1:1. There was a time in my life when I did not know God and I did not believe this verse. I was a supporter of the evolutionary theory and felt it explained things quite well but in the back of my mind there were always a couple pieces of information that seemed to be missing; gaps in the theory that I couldn’t explain. I reasoned within myself that these gaps were the result of unfound discovery and that someday the scientific community would uncover the truth.

The first and most significant was where did all the matter and substance around us that we see, feel, touch, smell, and taste come from? Evolution just has no explanation for this at all. The theory as I understand it today, only goes back to what has been described and for the most part accepted as a “big bang” event but that’s pretty much where the trail seems to end. The day the scientific community declares that matter appeared out of nothing is the day that they will have finally come to the truth; that there is in fact a god and He is God.

Another gap that I recognized has to deal with the process of evolution. By its very definition the theory of evolution requires that things happen gradually by miniscule steps over very long periods of time. Minute mutations, augmentations, or adaptations take place and if the change improves the organism’s ability to survive it is allowed to carry forward to future generations and changes that fail to improve the survivability of an organism will die out along with the organism that doesn’t survive. Reality doesn’t show this extremely small and gradual change. In my opinion the size of the transitions the scientific community accepts are too substantial to fully support the evolutionary process. In fact, it should be very difficult for us to recognize the changes that actually unfolded if the process were true. Just the difference between humans and the rest of the inhabitants now or in the past is too great to support it.

Another rather significant factor for me is that the evolutionary theory doesn’t provide explanation for self-awareness, cognitive thinking, emotions, and yes even a belief in a supreme being or God himself.

The extremely delicate balance that exists in our environment for me also speaks volumes to an intelligent design. How the atmosphere that surrounds us contains just the exact mixes of gases we need plus provides just the right amount of filtering of harmful radiation from the sun and yet maintains just the right temperature range on our planet for our survival. How we have both land and water and we depend on both for our very survival. How the plants and animals are so well proportioned and balanced for a common symbiotic relationship that ensures our mutual survival. We could not exist without plants and plants could not exist without animal and/or human life. For both of us to evolve in the exact right period of time without both dying off before it could come to pass, is just too staggering to accept as truth.

Even the very essence of our own bodies is too much. Think about an eyeball and how many different specialized cells are required to produce one functioning eyeball. And the process has repeated itself billions of times over eons of time with each eyeball being unique. Now expand that to the entire human body and consider the trillions of cells that must repeatedly be created each with their own unique purpose and all starting from a single egg and sperm. It is just waaaaay too far-fetched to be accidental in my opinion. I cannot accept it to be anything less than intelligent design by God.

I know this is a bit cliche but there is a rather common analogy that I've heard that helps me put this into perspective. Suppose you were an astronaut and you were sent on a maiden voyage to Mars where human beings have never been. Suppose you open the door to the landing module and step out onto the surface. This in itself would be amazing but as you explore the surface you happen upon a shiny object in the dirt. You reach down and pick it up and to your surprise you discover a mechanical wrist watch. Not only that but you look at it and to your absolute amazement it is running and the time displayed matches the time at your home on earth. It this far-fetched and unbelievable or what? The simplest mechanical wrist watch contains about 130 moving parts. The human body contains over 100,000,000,000,000 different types of cells. How much more complex is the human body compared to that wrist watch and yet the scientific community believes we are a result of random chance but would laugh themselves silly if you came home from that journey and reported what you found.

No, for me there is only one explanation. God did it. This is only the tip of the iceberg. Every day when I look around me I see the signature of God on the vast mural of his canvas everywhere. :yes

Just my :twocents

But they don't know they are invading your space, Deb. Besides, maybe you're the one invading their space. :biggrin2

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back