Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Abomination of Desolation in 70AD

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Dan 12:7 And I heard the man clothed in linen, which was upon the waters of the river, when he held uphis right hand and his left hand unto heaven, and sware by him that liveth forever that it shall be for a time, times,and an half; and when he shall have accomplished to scatter the power of theholy people, all these things shall befinished.

Thanks Reba, this is what was holding me up, the times. But I wasn't seeing the scatter the power of the holy people (knew what it met) but it wasn't sinking in as far as the 3 1/2 of Titus. @synthesis mentioned about the war too and I still forgot!

Do you have an idea about the 1335 days? The 15 over?

You yourself have stated that the 70th week ended in 34 AD, so the AOD that is the topic of this discussion and is the only AOD associated with the 70th week, according to you happened 36 years BEFORE 70 AD!

The 70th week ended in approx. 34 AD yes. And what happened in that week Caused and Determined what happened in 70 AD.

JLB, is there anywhere that you would agree that the Bible is talking about the destruction in 70 AD?

Yes maam, its clear in Daniel 9:26

26 "And after the sixty-two weeks Messiah shall be cut off, but not for Himself;

And the people of the prince who is to come Shall destroy the city and the sanctuary.
.. 70 AD

The 70th week ended in approx. 34 AD yes. And what happened in that week Caused and Determined what happened in 70 AD.
26 "And after the sixty-two weeks Messiah shall be cut off, but not for Himself; = 34 AD

And the people of the prince who is to come Shall destroy the city and the sanctuary. = 70 AD

27 Then he shall confirm a covenant with many for one week; But in the middle of the week He shall bring an end to sacrifice and offering. And on the wing of abominations shall be one who makes desolate, Even until the consummation, which is determined, Is poured out on the desolate."

The 70th week, according to Daniel 9:27 is structured in this prophecy to occur sometime after 70 AD.

How is it you can just go backwards in this chronologically pure prophecy, jump over the time period of 70 AD, and apply the events of the 70th week to 34 AD?

That my friend is not how to understand Daniel, nor what Jesus taught us in Matthew 24.

If you are truly interested in the truth, you will consider abandoning this method of interpretation.

JLB

And the people of the prince who is to come Shall destroy the city and the sanctuary. = 70 AD

27 Then he shall confirm a covenant with many for one week; But in the middle of the week He shall bring an end to sacrifice and offering. And on the wing of abominations shall be one who makes desolate, Even until the consummation, which is determined, Is poured out on the desolate."

The 70th week, according to Daniel 9:27 is structured in this prophecy to occur sometime after 70 AD.

Ok, who are the people of the prince that did this in 70 AD, if the prince doesn't come until almost over 2000 yrs. later?
I think I know what you will say.

And God only gave the Jews "one line of prophecy about their temple being destroyed".

Do you have an idea about the 1335 days? The 15 over?

Nope I wish I did... Deb I do not claim to KNOW this stuff I will not say THIS is the answer....that kind of thing ... I will say this is what I conclude at this point.

You figure out those 15 days and tell us :)

In Mark's account of the olivet discourse in Mark 13, we find strong contextual evidence which points to a 70AD fulfillment of the AOD and Jesus' "coming in the clouds".

Where is there "contextual evidence" for a "70AD fulfillment"?

I think the events were supposed to happen in the first century. But that doesn't mean that they were really fulfilled.

Notice that the disciples questions are ONLY about Jerusalems destruction and NOT about the "end of the age" as in Math.24.

The second question is controversial. It could be about more than just the temple.

Ok brother, Mark. It would have to also line up with Matthew 24's account, or Daniels account. Why doesn't it? Scripture has a way of supporting other scripture. If we want to speak contextual evidence (this is always good!) then let's talk Daniel contextually. (My questions about this earlier were largely ignored oddly enough!)

All three references to the abomination of desolation (Daniel. 9:27, 11:31, 12:11) also refer to the stopping of the sacrifice. In Daniel 9:27, the stopping of the sacrifice can be interpreted as being in the middle of seven years. It can also be interpreted as happening sometime after the seven years. And the preterists depends on this interpretation because
the preterist must separate the stopping of the sacrifice (crucifixion) from the abomination (70 AD) by forty years. But in the other two references, the two events happen on the same day, or at least within 1290 days of each other. Looking at the context of Daniel as a whole, the abomination of desolation seems to be something that happens on the same day as the stopping of the sacrifice.Let’s take a closer look at the abomination of desolation in chapter 12. We are told about the
abomination in verses 11 and 12. We need to pay special attention to the context of verses just prior (verses 8-12) and just after, which is verse 13. What is the “time of the end†in these verses? Daniel 12:8-13 NIV I heard, but I did not understand. So I asked, “My lord, what will the outcome of all this be?†(9) He replied, “Go your way, Daniel, because the words are closed up and sealed until the time of the end. (10) Many will be purified, made spotless and refined, but the
wicked will continue to be wicked. None of the wicked will understand, but those who are wise will understand.
(11) “From the time that the daily sacrifice is abolished and the abomination that causes desolation is set up, there will be 1,290 days. (12) Blessed is the one who waits for and reaches the end of the 1,335 days.
(13) “As for you, go your way till the end. You will rest, and then at the end of the days you will rise to receive your
allotted inheritance.â€When one is convinced of a specific theology or eschatology, there is a tendency to take verses out of context when they don't fit your thinking. Verse 13 clearly establishes the "time of the end" as the time when Daniel himself will be resurrected. Verses 8-10 also speak of the time of the end. By context, therefore, they must also be talking about the time of the resurrection. Verse 13 also speaks of the "end of the days." So the "end of the days" is the
"time of the end." By context, verses 11 and 12 would also be referring to the time of the end, since the verses both before and after speak of the time of the end. And verses 11 and 12 speak about a number of days. So by context, it's the same days as verse 13 speaks of when it says, "at the end of the days." Therefore, from the abomination of desolation, there is 1290 (or 1335) days. After these 1290 (or 1335), at end of these specific days, is the time of the end.
And the time of the end is the time of Daniel's resurrection. Therefore, there is in fact an abomination of desolation 3 ½ years before the resurrection. (The resurrection is when Christ returns.)

And if Jesus came back in 70 AD, coming in the clouds...why didn't every eye see him? ;) I think something like THAT
would be in our history books somewhere, don't you?

Edward, thank you for your reply.
However, you made attempt to address the "contextual evidence" in Mark.
We can deal with Daniel perhaps on another thread. I see way too much jumping around by everyone, and nothing really gets resolved. We should deal with the Mark 13 discourse and it's context, which was the original text of this thread.
Let's start with some "contextual facts" from Mark 13. Could you please give a yes or no answer to the following questions.

Mark 13:1 "And as he went out of the temple, one if his disciples saith unto him, Master, see what manner of stones and what buildings are here?
The disciples were speaking of Jerusalem and the temple.... YES or NO?

Mark 13:2 "And Jesus answering said unto them, Seest thou these great buildings? There shall not be left one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down"
Jesus was making reference to Jerusalem, the temple, and was prophesying it's destruction which took place in 70ad.
YES or NO?

Mark 13:3-4 "And as he sat upon the mount of olives over against the temple, Peter and James and John and Andrew asked him privately, Tell us when shall these things be? And what shall be the sign when all these things shall be fulfilled?
In this context, the question "when shall these things be" means......when shall the stones of Jerusalem and the temple be thrown down (when shall the city be destroyed) YES or NO?
in this context, the question "what shall be the sign when all these things shall be fulfilled" means....what will signify (be the sign) that Jerusalem is about to be destroyed. YES or NO

The context of Mark 13:1-4 is the city of Jerusalem and it's prophesied destruction YES or NO?

Can you please answer these "contextual questions", thanks.

Hope of glory

You yourself have stated that the 70th week ended in 34 AD, so the AOD that is the topic of this discussion and is the only AOD associated with the 70th week, according to you happened 36 years BEFORE 70 AD!

JLB, is there anywhere that you would agree that the Bible is talking about the destruction in 70 AD?

26 "And after the sixty-two weeks Messiah shall be cut off, but not for Himself;

And the people of the prince who is to come Shall destroy the city and the sanctuary.
.. 70 AD

26 "And after the sixty-two weeks Messiah shall be cut off, but not for Himself; = 34 AD

How is it you can just go backwards in this chronologically pure prophecy, jump over the time period of 70 AD, and apply the events of the 70th week to 34 AD?

That my friend is not how to understand Daniel, nor what Jesus taught us in Matthew 24.

If you are truly interested in the truth, you will consider abandoning this method of interpretation.

JLB

JLB, regarding Daniel's "chronologically pure" prophecy......
"Seventy weeks (490 years) are determined....."
490 years CONSECUTIVE years, not nearly 2500 years with a GAP of 2000 years!
The futurist method of interpretation of Dan.9 is most "chronologically unpure"

Where in Daniel do the Scriptures mention rebuilding a temple? ... I am not finding it....

Reba, no offense, but I believe you don't want to find it, nor do you want to see it.

IMO.

I will show it to you, if you truly want to see it.

JLB

.. 70 AD

JLB

Hope, Can you show me a scripture that refers to Jesus coming at the end of the age to gather His people at the resurrection?

JLB

Where in Daniel do the Scriptures mention rebuilding a temple? ... I am not finding it....

REBA

Neither do I ?
Or an Antichrist?
Or the "breaking" of a covenant by Antichrist?
Or a 7 year "great tribulation"?
Can't find any of that ??????

Nor do I.

However I do find a prince who is to come.

A Messiah the Prince.

A seven year period that is also referred to as the 70th week.

A temple destroyed.

Sacrifice and offerings resumed, after a temple is destroyed.

and last but not least -

An Abomination of Desolation set up in a temple after the temple before it was destroyed.

as it is written -

27 He will make a firm covenant with many for one week, but in the middle of the week he will put a stop to sacrifice and offering. And the abomination of desolation will be on a wing of the temple until the decreed destruction is poured out on the desolator."

How about showing me one scripture that refers to Jesus coming at the end of the age and gathering His people in the resurrection.

JLB

It can't be demons that were judged, since well why would Christ go to the abyss of them to save them?

As in 1 Peter 2:4 - Gk. phylake = of the place where captives are kept, a prison

As in 2 Peter 2:4 - Gk. tartaroo = the name of the subterranean region, doleful and dark, regarded by the ancient Greeks as the abode of the wicked dead, where they suffer punishment for their evil deeds; it answers to Gehenna of the Jews

I don't think he was preaching (proclaiming) to demons, they already know Him and why they are in hell. I think this was/is a different place than where demons are kept. I personally don't think anyone will be left out from hearing the Gospel, if they will. Whatever and however He does whatever, it's really not my business, only what I see in the Word.
I see spirits as pneuma = people in some form of bodily state.

that would be sheol/ hades. gehenomin(sp) aka the lake of fire hasn't been made yet for man.

OK so I am not mistaken there is not a clear statement in Daniel of rebuilding a temple... Way to often I still read with such heavy supposed foreknowledge. I read what is not there... Dan does clearly speak to the rebuilding of Jerusalem...

[MENTION=96505]Hope of glory[/MENTION] I was surprised years back when I got out Dad concordance and could not fine 'heavenly language"

back to topic for me

OK so I am not mistaken there is not a clear statement in Daniel of rebuilding a temple... Way to often I still read with such heavy supposed foreknowledge. I read what is not there... Dan does clearly speak to the rebuilding of Jerusalem...

[MENTION=96505]Hope of glory[/MENTION] I was surprised years back when I got out Dad concordance and could not fine 'heavenly language"

back to topic for me

Yes.
And yes, back to topic.
I will do my best to stay on Mark 13, the text of this thread.
Blessings Reba

OK so I am not mistaken there is not a clear statement in Daniel of rebuilding a temple...

No ma'am, you are very much mistaken, as you have been shown.

Here it is again -

26 "And after the sixty-two weeks Messiah shall be cut off, but not for Himself; And the people of the prince who is to come Shall destroy the city and the sanctuary. The end of it shall be with a flood, And till the end of the war desolations are determined.

the people of the prince who is to come Shall destroy the city and the sanctuary. = 70 AD Temple Destroyed

27 He will make a firm covenant with many for one week, but in the middle of the week he will put a stop to sacrifice and offering. And the abomination of desolation will be on a wing of the temple until the decreed destruction is poured out on the desolator."

but in the middle of the week he will put a stop to sacrifice and offering. And the abomination of desolation will be on a wing of the temple...

Temple reconstructed, with sacrifice and offerings after being destroyed in 70 AD.

JLB

.. 70 AD

JLB

Hope, Can you show me a scripture that refers to Jesus coming at the end of the age to gather His people at the resurrection?

JLB

JLB of course I can.

John 5:28-29
"Marvel not at this, for the hour is coming, in the which a that are in the graves shall hear his voice, and shall come forth; they that have done good unto the resurrection of life, and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

Are you ready to deal with the context of Mark 13 yet???

OK so I am not mistaken there is not a clear statement in Daniel of rebuilding a temple...

No ma'am, you are very much mistaken, as you have been shown.

Here it is again -

26 "And after the sixty-two weeks Messiah shall be cut off, but not for Himself; And the people of the prince who is to come Shall destroy the city and the sanctuary. The end of it shall be with a flood, And till the end of the war desolations are determined.

the people of the prince who is to come Shall destroy the city and the sanctuary. = 70 AD Temple Destroyed

27 He will make a firm covenant with many for one week, but in the middle of the week he
will put a stop to sacrifice and offering. And the abomination of desolation will be on a wing of the temple
until the decreed destruction is poured out on the desolator."

but in the middle of the week he will put a stop to sacrifice and offering. And the abomination of desolation will be on a wing of the temple...

Temple reconstructed, with sacrifice and offerings after being destroyed in 70 AD.

JLB

JLB, if this is your "proof text" for a rebuilt future temple you have some N.T. obstacles.
NOWHERE in the N.T. is a future literal temple ever spoken of. Don't you think that if a future temple is necessary to fulfill prophecy so Jesus can return that even one of the apostles would have mentioned it?
Why wouldn't Jesus have mentioned a "rebuilt temple" in Math.24 or Mark 13 when making reference to the AOD?
Show me ONE New Covenant scripture where Apostolic doctrine clearly teaches a rebuilt natural temple after the 70ad destruction.
If you can't, you should toss away your "ideas" of what Dan.9 is saying.
If it's not in N.T. Doctrine, it's fairy tale stuff.

Blessings

JLB

JLB of course I can.

John 5:28-29
"Marvel not at this, for the hour is coming, in the which a that are in the graves shall hear his voice, and shall come forth; they that have done good unto the resurrection of life, and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

Are you ready to deal with the context of Mark 13 yet???

Just as soon as you post a scripture that shows JESUS COMING at the end of the age and gathering His people at the resurrection.

For some reason, you seem to be reluctant to do this.

I will post the ones that I see, and you can tell me if you agree or disagree.

30 Then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in heaven, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. 31 And He will send His angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they will gather together His elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other. Matthew 24:30-31

26 Then they will see the Son of Man coming in the clouds with great power and glory. 27 And then He will send His angels, and gather together His elect from the four winds, from the farthest part of earth to the farthest part of heaven. Mark 13:26-27

27 Then they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. 28 Now when these things begin to happen, look up and lift up your heads, because your redemption draws near." Luke 21:27-28

1 Now, brethren, concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our gathering together to Him, we ask you, 2 not to be soon shaken in mind or troubled, either by spirit or by word or by letter, as if from us, as though the day of Christ had come.2 Thessalonians 2:1-2

15 For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord will by no means precede those who are asleep. 16 For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord. 1 Thessalonians 4:15-17

These are references to the Lord Coming, and his saints being gathered to Him at the resurrection.

Why didn't you post any of these?

JLB

And in his estate shall stand up a vile person, to whom they shall not give the honour of the kingdom: but he shall come in peaceably, and obtain the kingdom by flatteries

And that is exactly what happen, in the past. It's amazing that the prophecy in Daniel is so exact with what took place. All the different rulers that came into power right down to the daughter of one marrying another one and they become enemies. Cleopatra 1.
This is why so many modern and seculars try to say Daniel was written later than it was because that prophecy is so exact with history that even unbelievers can see. So they try to discredit Daniel. Even the Jews do not include his book with the other prophets!! Ask @jasoncran about that.

The reason why that did not happen in the past is the simple fact that ,the vile person is satan himself.......No one in history has or can play that role....The things satan shall do when he arrives,will be supernatural,no mere man can perform the things that satan shall,as he pretends to be Christ,just not possible....That's the deception that Christ warned us about........satan is the desolator

Mark 13:14 But when ye shall see the abomination of desolation(the desolator - false Christ), spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing where it (he) ought not, (let him that readeth understand,) then let them that be in Judaea flee to the mountains:

satan as of now is still in heaven,he has yet to be kicked out....

Rev 12:7 And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

Rev 12:8 And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven.

Rev 12:9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

Rev 12:10 And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.

So Satan, along with his angels, has been in heaven! He’s been up there accusing innocent people of God knows what. Oh yeah, God’s the one who’s had to listen to it all this time. Man, He must get sick of it.

Please note that Rev 12 happens before Jesus Christ returns. That means that Satan will be here before Jesus arrives. Will you recognize him?

2 Thes 2:3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

2 Thes 2:4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.

Last edited by a moderator:
In Mark's account of the olivet discourse in Mark 13, we find strong contextual evidence which points to a 70AD fulfillment of the AOD and Jesus' "coming in the clouds".

Mark 13:1-4 "And as he went out of the temple, one of his disciples saith unto him, Master, see what manner of stones and what buildings are here?
And Jesus answering said unto him, Seest thou these great buildings,? There shall not be left one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.
And as he sat upon the mount of olives over against the temple, Peter James and John and Andrew asked Jim privately.
Tell us, when shall these things be, and what shall be the sign when all these things shall be fulfilled?

Notice that the disciples questions are ONLY about Jerusalems destruction and NOT about the "end of the age" as in Math.24.

"When shall these things be...."
That is, when shall every stone be thrown down (when will Jerusalem be destroyed)?
"...What shall be the sign when all these things shall be fulfilled?"
That is, what will signify that Jerusalems destruction is about to take place?

I submit to you that the answers to these questions are found in verses 14 and 30

The "time" when Jerusalem was destroyed was within "that (this) generation" (v30)
"...this generation shall not pass until all these things be done"

The "sign" which signified this destruction was immenent was SEEING the AOD (v14)
"But when YOU shall see the AOD.....then let them that be in Judea flee into the mountains"

The fact that Jesus says that the disciples would SEE the AOD and SEE his "coming in the
clouds" in the context of answering their questions about Jerusalems destruction is very significant.

Powerful contextual evidence indeed that the AOD and Jesus' coming in the clouds were connected to and fulfilled by 70ad

Question: Since the disciples only asked questions about a first century event (Jerusalems destruction), why would Jesus mention the "SEEING" of the AOD and his "coming in the clouds" as part of his answer?

Hope of glory

I must stop posting and put the mod cap on...:sad The OP has requested time and time again to stay or return to topic... MODERATOR

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back