Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study Accepted in the Beloved: Why My Redemption and Adoption is Eternally Secure.

But, as Paul wrote in Galatians 5, the matter was one of benefit, not possession. As an example of this distinction my analogy serves very well.
If they do not possess the Spirit ( the case of the Galatians) they possessed no sense, nothing good, nothing right, and why they were rebuked.

Galatians 3:1 O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?

Galatians 4:19 My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you,
20 I desire to be present with you now, and to change my voice; for I stand in doubt of you.
21 Tell me, ye that desire to be under the law, do ye not hear the law?

Galatians 5:4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.

Hebrews 12:15 Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled;

Why are disputers impossible to be corrected, and why do they not mind showing how much scripture they cast away. ( WITHDRAW FROM THEM.) Implacable means they believe in their opinion strongly, without being able to be corrected.

Acts 20:30 Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.

Romans 1:31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:

1 Timothy 6:5 Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.

So, reconcile these things to what you're proposing.

I dont reconcile people's opinion with scripture.

That is exactly what false doctrine is made up of.

I gave you scripture.

I emphasized what the scripture itself so plainly states.

You have ignored it.

There is no other way to escape the corruptions of the world, apart from the truth; the knowledge of the truth.

The knowledge of the truth of Jesus Christ and His Gospel.

Knowing the truth.
Experincing the truth.

Obeying the truth as this same Peter has already emphasized.

Since you have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit in sincere love of the brethren, love one another fervently with a pure heart, having been born again, not of corruptible seed but incorruptible, through the word of God which lives and abides forever, 1 Peter 1:22-23

Escaped the pollutions of the world and returned to it is crystal clear.

Escaped the pollutions of the world then became entangled in them again, is undeniable.

There is absoloutly nothing in
2 Peter 2 that is refferring to unsaved people continuing to be unsaved.

JLB

There is no other way to escape the corruptions of the world, apart from the truth; the knowledge of the truth.

Knowing the truth.
Experincing the truth.

Since you have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit in sincere love of the brethren, love one another fervently with a pure heart, having been born again, not of corruptible seed but incorruptible, through the word of God which lives and abides forever, 1 Peter 1:22-23
Of course not missing off charity, which edifies us as knowledge puffs us up.

We are to receive the love of the truth. ( to be saved)

Christ to dwell in our hearts by faith, rooted and grounded in love ( belief in His love for us, to lay His life down for us on the cross.) to know the love of Christ that passes all knowledge, to be filled with all the fulness of God.

According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue.

Add to virtue knowledge and to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;
and to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity. For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

1 Corinthians 8:1 Now as touching things offered unto idols, we know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffeth up, but charity edifieth.

2 Thessalonians 2:10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.

Ephesians 3:17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,
18 May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height;
19 And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.

2 Peter 1:3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:

2 Peter 1:5 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
6 And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;
7 And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.
8 For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
9 But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.
10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:

I dont reconcile people's opinion with scripture.

That is exactly what false doctrine is made up of.

I gave you scripture.

I emphasized what the scripture itself so plainly states.

You have ignored it.

Nope. You've been both simplistic and eisegetical in your handling of the passage from Peter. Far from explaining it well, you've done just the opposite.

I've not said otherwise.

Knowing the truth.
Experincing the truth.

See? Here's the eisegesis I was talking about above. Peter wrote in 2 Peter 2:20-21 only of the false teachers knowing the Gospel, not believing or obeying it, which is why you have to resort to another of his letters entirely in an attempt to force your ideas into the passage.

It is. But not in the way you've assumed it is.

Nope. You've been both simplistic and eisegetical in your handling of the passage from Peter. Far from explaining it well, you've done just the opposite.

False.

I have posted the actual words of scripture, and highlighted the key words and phrases of the actual scripture.

All you have done is deny what the scriptures themselves have so plainly stated, and have refused to address the words and phrases themselves, and only stated your opinion.

Knowing the truth.
Experincing the truth.

Escaped the pollutions of the world then became entangled in them again, is undeniable.

JLB

False.

I have posted the actual words of scripture, and highlighted the key words and phrases of the actual scripture.

All you have done is deny what the scriptures themselves have so plainly stated, and have refused to address the words and phrases themselves, and only stated your opinion.

Knowing the truth.
Experincing the truth.

Hey, whatever. You can lead a horse to water...

Hey fiends, remember, leave off contentions, blessed peace makers..

Proverbs 17:14 The beginning of strife is as when one letteth out water: therefore leave off contention, before it be meddled with.

Proverbs 20:3 It is an honour for a man to cease from strife: but every fool will be meddling.

Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

I don't think, as I've explained, that relying on one's law-keeping in justification of oneself before God necessarily means one has stepped out of a born-again condition. As my analogy illustrated, one can possess salvation while not benefiting practically from it. This is all, I believe, what Paul was saying.
Paul makes it very clear that those who rely on the law to be justified are under a curse:

10All who rely on works of the law are under a curse. For it is written: “Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law.”c 11Now it is clear that no one is justified before God by the law... Galatians 3:10-11

He's plainly saying they can't be justified by relying on the law. You can not be saved if you are not justified.

But, as Paul wrote in Galatians 5, the matter was one of benefit, not possession. As an example of this distinction my analogy serves very well.
As I'm showing you he is talking very specifically about not being justified, not about not being able to enjoy the privileges and benefits of salvation.

He's plainly saying they can't be justified by relying on the law. You can not be saved if you are not justified.

Paul, I believe, in speaking of the "curse of the Law" was not threatening the Galatian believers with the loss of their salvation, or implying that they were already unsaved, but trying to demonstrate to them the strangeness and futility of beginning in the Spirit as born-again people but then continuing by fleshly law-keeping (Galatians 3:3). What need had they of justification by law-keeping and its "curse" when they had already been made "children of God," by faith in Christ redeemed by him from the curse of the Law and justified? Paul explained all this to people he later in the chapter confirmed were "sons of God," and "clothed with Christ," and who "belonged to Christ" (Galatians 3:26-29), not those who would have to be born-again, again.

As I'm showing you he is talking very specifically about not being justified, not about not being able to enjoy the privileges and benefits of salvation.

Well, I think you've got Paul wrong. That one cannot be justified by law-keeping does not equate to losing one's already-obtained justification if one migrates into moralistic law-keeping. If it did, it's hard to imagine how anyone could remain saved for very long.

Galatians 5:2-4 (NASB)
2 Behold I, Paul, say to you that if you receive circumcision, Christ will be of no benefit to you.
3 And I testify again to every man who receives circumcision, that he is under obligation to keep the whole Law.
4 You have been severed from Christ, you who are seeking to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.

Why doesn't Paul simply and plainly say, "if you receive circumcision, Christ will be lost to you," or "you will lose your salvation"? "Be of no benefit" does not, to me, suggest the extreme result of justification-by-law-keeping you're arguing for.

In any case, Paul explained what he meant by "of no benefit" in the very next verse when he wrote that, in being circumcised - symbolic of their embracing justification-by-law-keeping - they would be obliged by such an approach to keep the whole Law. As in-Christ, fully-justified people, they had no need for such an approach, no need to be hyper-careful to fulfill the letter of the Law. Playing on the idea of circumcision, he described their "perplexing" thinking (Galatians 4:20) as "severing themselves from Christ" by which he meant "fallen from grace." What does this phrase imply? A loss of salvation? No, I just go back to verse 2 for Paul's meaning: Christ is of no benefit - in particular, in the matter of fulfilling the moral obligation that the Law of God places upon us. Christ has fulfilled the law perfectly for us and in him we are free of the burden of having to do so ourselves (Galatians 5:1). This burden-lifting benefit cannot be enjoyed by those seeking justification by law-keeping. I find this reading of Paul's words far more in accord with a truly Christ-centered view of salvation and with God's promises to His children in Hebrews 13:5, Romans 8:38-39, John 10:28-29, Philippians 1:6, 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24, etc.

Paul, I believe, in speaking of the "curse of the Law" was not threatening the Galatian believers with the loss of their salvation, or implying that they were already unsaved, but trying to demonstrate to them the strangeness and futility of beginning in the Spirit as born-again people but then continuing by fleshly law-keeping (Galatians 3:3). What need had they of justification by law-keeping and its "curse" when they had already been made "children of God," by faith in Christ redeemed by him from the curse of the Law and justified? Paul explained all this to people he later in the chapter confirmed were "sons of God," and "clothed with Christ," and who "belonged to Christ" (Galatians 3:26-29), not those who would have to be born-again, again.
Facts.

We know a man is not justified by the law, because justification is by the faith of Jesus Christ. ( His faith to die for us, is what we are to believe and trust in ) we are not justified by works in the law.

No man is justified by the law in the sight of God is evident, for the just shall live by faith. ( by the faith of Jesus Christ, not faith in the works of the law.)

The law brings us to Christ to be justified by faith. When faith came ( the faith of Jesus Christ) we are no longer under the law ( which the Galatians had returned to/the works of the law, which have no justification.)

For we all are children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. ( which the Galatians had turned from.)

When baptized into Christ, Christ is put on.

After the Galatians have known God, or rather are known of God, they turn again to the weak and beggarly elements, they desire again to be in bondage.

They desire to be under the law, and did not hear the law. ( the law is not freedom, not justification, the law is bondage, it is not having faith, when faith has come.)

Apostle Paul ( speaking with meekness and holiness) says brothers, we are not children of the bondwoman, but of the free. ( because they are his brothers, his kinsmen ACCORDING TO THE FLESH.)

Christ had become of no effect to the Galatians, as the Galatians were seeking to be justified by the law, which is fallen from grace.

Romans 9:3 For I could wish that myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh:

Galatians 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Galatians 3:11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.

Galatians 3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.
26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
29 And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Galatians 4:9 But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?

Galatians 4:21 Tell me, ye that desire to be under the law, do ye not hear the law?

Galatians 4:31 So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman, but of the free.

Galatians 5:4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.

Everybody can see, that we can try to give different opinion to that which is testified, but it is only an opinion, and the Word of God is with power, it cant be doubted when it has told the truth.

Paul explained all this to people he later in the chapter confirmed were "sons of God," and "clothed with Christ," and who "belonged to Christ" (Galatians 3:26-29), not those who would have to be born-again, again.

Just to clarify for anyone who can read.

Paul explained in Galatians 2 first, how Christ lives in him, living by the faith of the Son of God who loved him and gave Himself for him.

Galatians 3 speaks of the same thing, those baptized unto Christ put on Christ, to be all one in Christ Jesus. ( by the same testimony in Galatians 2, Christ lives in us, living by the faith of the Son of God who loved us and who gave Himself for us.)

Galatians 4 tells how the Galatians ( who were being warned) required Christ to be formed in them. ( as it was said, they desired law, and not Christ living in us, living by the faith of the Son of God, who loved us and gave Himself for us.)

Galatians 5, the fruit of the Spirit ( the Galatians did not have, because they had a law against them)is love joy, peace, faith. ( the Galatians seeking law, had turned form the faith.) against these there is NO LAW.

They that are Christ's( they who are Christs have put on Christ) have crucified the flesh, ( the law of sin and death the Galatians had turned back to.) if we live in the Spirit let us also walk in the Spirit.

Romans 8 shows there is now, no condemnation for those which are in Christ Jesus ( which we see thoroughly, was not those Galatians) as they walked after the flesh, not the Spirit.

What the Galatians had not followed, was believing that the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus makes us free form the law of sin and death. ( the Galatians had turned back to.) and God sending His Son in the flesh, condemned sin in the flesh. ( they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts/we are crucified with Him/I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. Galatians 2:20.)

Romans 8:1There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:

Galatians 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Galatians 3:27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

Galatians 4:19 My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you,

Galatians 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

But the foolish bewitched Galatians DID NOT recognize Christ crucified among them. ( and as Paul had testified to them how Christ crucified for us, is our glory in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, and is the world crucified to us, and we unto the world.)

Galatians 3:1 O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?

Galatians 6:14 But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world.

Ephesians 1:4-7
4 According as he has chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:
5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,
6 To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he has made us accepted in the Beloved.
7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;

As a long-time discipler of men, I've often heard them say, in the "new believer" stage, something like, "I keep sinning. I ask God for forgiveness, but I think I've asked too many times. I feel like maybe I'm not saved anymore, that God has cast me out of His family. How can He forgive me when I keep falling into sin? Will God take me back even though I keep messing up?"

At the heart of statements like these is a fundamental misunderstanding of the Gospel. As the great hymn "Rock of Ages" declares,

"Nothing in my hands I bring,
Simply to Thy cross I cling;
Naked, come to Thee for dress,
Helpless, look to Thee for grace:
Foul, I to the fountain fly,
Wash me, Savior, or I die."
No one comes to God with something that He needs, with something they have that He doesn't. God extends Himself to the lost person through the offer of salvation solely because of His loving, merciful, gracious nature. The idea that God sent His Son to die for us because "we were worth it" is deeply false, a lie that appeals to the very thing that keeps us from God: Self. In actuality, God reaches out to the lost individual when they are in a condition rightfully deserving of His wrathful judgment; when, in fact, they are at enmity with Him, rebels shaking their fists in His face, living constantly in defiance of His will and way.

Titus 3:3-6
3 For we ourselves also were sometimes foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving divers lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful, and hating one another.
4 But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared,
5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;
6 Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour;

Colossians 1:21-22
21 And although you were formerly alienated and hostile in mind, engaged in evil deeds,
22 yet He has now reconciled you in His fleshly body through death, in order to present you before Him holy and blameless and beyond reproach—

Ephesians 2:1-5
1 And you were dead in your trespasses and sins,
2 in which you formerly walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, of the spirit that is now working in the sons of disobedience.
3 Among them we too all formerly lived in the lusts of our flesh, indulging the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, even as the rest.
4 But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us,
5 even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved),

Of course, the lost person's evil condition doesn't necessarily manifest in overt displays of outrageous wickedness: murder, rape, theft, gross sexual perversity, etc. The average unrepentant sinner is rarely as evil as they could be, constrained by social conventions, laws of the land, and their own conscience. They look over at the Jeffrey Dahmer's, or Adolf Hitler's, or Bin Laden's of the world and comfort themselves that, however immoral they may be, they aren't anywhere as bad as these evil madmen. Under this "I'm not as bad as the worst of us" thinking, it's...difficult to accept what God says about them in the passages above. But if there is any doubt as to God's view of their sin, they need only consider the following passages:

Proverbs 6:16-19
16 There are six things which the LORD hates, Yes, seven which are an abomination to Him:
17 A proud look, a lying tongue, And hands that shed innocent blood,
18 A heart that devises wicked plans, Feet that run rapidly to evil,
19 A false witness who utters lies, And one who spreads strife among brothers.

James 2:10
10 For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles in one point, he has become guilty of all.

God's standard of righteousness isn't our own. He regards a proud, arrogant look on a person's face as much a moral abomination as murder! The one who lies is as abominable in God's eyes as the murderer. The person who pits people against one another, causing strife among them, is also as abominable to God as any murderer.

In regards to God's view of the lost person the situation is worse still: God's standard for His acceptance of anyone is His own perfectly, holy, righteousness; not the worst moral monster to which we can compare ourselves, by which comparison we think ourselves pretty wonderful. No, God says to us, "Be holy as I am holy," which makes His acceptance of us, on the basis of our conduct, impossible. If we break any one of the "links" of the "chain" of God's Moral Law, we've broken the entire chain and stand as guilty before God as if we'd broken every one of the "links" individually.

So, no one comes to God for salvation having earned His acceptance of them in any measure. As the hymnist wrote, "Nothing in my hands I bring; simply to thy cross I cling."

2 Timothy 1:9
9 who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was granted us in Christ Jesus from all eternity,

Ephesians 2:8-9
8 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God;
9 not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.

Continued below.
Salvation is offered to all, accepted by few Mat 7:13,14. No guarantees to anyone, and for most is yet at least a millennium away. Rev 20:5

Paul, I believe, in speaking of the "curse of the Law" was not threatening the Galatian believers with the loss of their salvation, or implying that they were already unsaved, but trying to demonstrate to them the strangeness and futility of beginning in the Spirit as born-again people but then continuing by fleshly law-keeping (Galatians 3:3). What need had they of justification by law-keeping and its "curse" when they had already been made "children of God," by faith in Christ redeemed by him from the curse of the Law and justified?
The problem is you're using what we're trying to prove as the answer to what we're trying to prove.

Can a believer replace and subvert the justification they have received through faith in Christ by later seeking to be justified by the law? Apparently so, for that is what Paul is warning them against. The question is, will God ultimately allow his children to do that? That is the fundamental question that needs to be answered to prove or disprove OSAS.

We know what will happen if the believer goes back to the law for justification, they will be rejected concerning the inheritance (Galatians 4:30), for it has no power to justify and produces slaves, not sons. Ultimately, what we are in dispute about is if the true believer can permanently stop believing, not what happens if they do. The Corinthian believers also started to fall away from faith in Christ and the gospel they had heard and received.

Paul explained all this to people he later in the chapter confirmed were "sons of God," and "clothed with Christ," and who "belonged to Christ" (Galatians 3:26-29), not those who would have to be born-again, again.
Yes, at the time he is speaking to them he considers them still saved. This shows me there was still hope for them. And as I pointed out, we don't know if they responded positively to his warning. We don't know if they came back to justification in Christ, or not. If they didn't then we'd know a true believer can in fact fall away from salvation.

Well, I think you've got Paul wrong. That one cannot be justified by law-keeping does not equate to losing one's already-obtained justification if one migrates into moralistic law-keeping. If it did, it's hard to imagine how anyone could remain saved for very long.
This is about believing, not just sinning.

They weren't just turning back to "moralistic law-keeping". They were doing that in unbelief. That is what was making their law keeping damnable. Just keeping the ceremonial law is not a sin. Doing that for the purpose of being justified by the effort is what is a sin. It is the sin of unbelief - turning away from faith in Christ for justification and turning to the law for justification.

Unbelief is what will cause Christ to be of no effect to a person in justification (Galatians 5:2-4). They were turning away from belief in Christ for justification and to the law for justification. So this was not just a matter of them sinning. This was about them falling away in unbelief from the gospel of being credited "righteousness apart from works" (Romans 4:6).

Why doesn't Paul simply and plainly say, "if you receive circumcision, Christ will be lost to you," or "you will lose your salvation"? "Be of no benefit" does not, to me, suggest the extreme result of justification-by-law-keeping you're arguing for.
You can't ignore that the context is justification, not the joys and benefits and fullness of being saved. You can't be saved if you make Christ of no value to you in justification. People who do not have the benefit of Christ in justification are not going to be saved from God's wrath when Christ returns.

Justification in Christ means receiving the imputation of God's righteousness. A perfect righteousness that makes you sinless and perfect in God's sight. Justification through law keeping means being righteous in God's sight by doing righteous things. That's why it's a damnable 'justification'. You can't do everything you have to do for that to make you righteous in God's sight (Galatians 5:3). And so the person who replaces the perfect righteousness of Christ with the righteousness of law will perish in the coming judgement and not partake in the inheritance. They will be turned away.

This is a salvation issue being addressed here, Tenchi.

Last edited:
The problem is you're using what we're trying to prove as the answer to what we're trying to prove.

Can a believer replace and subvert the justification they have received through faith in Christ by later seeking to be justified by the law? Apparently so, for that is what Paul is warning them against. The question is, will God ultimately allow his children to do that? That is the fundamental question that needs to be answered to prove or disprove OSAS.

What you're trying to prove and what I'm trying to prove are not, I think, identical things. It seems to me that Paul has made it clear that God does allow His children to migrate into moralism and law-keeping. It seems, then, that the question is actually: If they persist in moralism, can they reach a point where God withdraws what Christ has accomplished for them in his redemption, justification and sanctification of them? I don't think so. All that moralism (aka - self-justification through law-keeping) does, ultimately, is cut off the born-again believer from fellowship with God. Their relationship to Him through and in Christ, however, is unalterable and eternal because it exists and is established and maintained in Christ, not in the believer, which is what I was pointing out in the OP to this thread.

We know what will happen if the believer goes back to the law for justification, they will be rejected concerning the inheritance (Galatians 4:30), for it has no power to justify and produces slaves, not sons.

Galatians 4:28-31 (NASB)
28 And you brethren, like Isaac, are children of promise.
29 But as at that time he who was born according to the flesh persecuted him who was born according to the Spirit, so it is now also.
30 But what does the Scripture say? "Cast out the bondwomann and her son, for the son of the bondwoman shall not be an heir with the son of the free woman."
31 So then, brethren, we are not children of a bondwoman, but of the free woman.

Is Paul indicating here something about a born-again person's spiritual condition if they live moralistically/legalistically? I don't think so:

Galatians 4:24-26 (NASB)
24 This is allegorically speaking, for these women are two covenants: one proceeding from Mount Sinai bearing children who are to be slaves; she is Hagar.
25 Now this Hagar is Mount Sinai in Arabia and corresponds to the present Jerusalem, for she is in slavery with her children.
26 But the Jerusalem above is free; she is our mother.

It seems to me Paul is just trying to make as clear a distinction as possible between the Old and New Covenants and those living under them. He is not threatening salvation lost to those who take up Old Covenant justification-through-law-keeping but merely explaining why doing so is out-of-character for a "child of the free woman" and how futile such living is.

Ultimately, what we are in dispute about is if the true believer can permanently stop believing, not what happens if they do.

Not even a lost person can truly "stop believing." At best, they can merely "suppress the truth in unrighteousness" (Romans 1:18-32). I don't think a person who has truly believed, that is, exerted genuine saving faith in Christ, not just given intellectual assent to his salvific person and work (James 2:17-26; Romans 10:9-10), could ever completely, permanently relinquish that faith. Even in the filth of the pigpen, after a rebellious departure from his father and a season of playing the profligate wastrel, the Prodigal looked up from the mire and thought to go to his father. I have seen this very thing happen with many believers who were thought to have "stopped believing," for decades living in outright rebellion toward God in sin, but who have testified to a persistent, center-of-being awareness of a connection to Him that could not be dissolved and that finally brought them back to Him. A younger brother of mine is one of these.

Yes, at the time he is speaking to them he considers them still saved. This shows me there was still hope for them. And as I pointed out, we don't know if they responded positively to his warning. We don't know if they came back to justification in Christ, or not. If they didn't then we'd know a true believer can in fact fall away from salvation.

Perhaps the most serious problem with this thinking is that it ends up suffering from enormous arbitrariness and uncertainty. Where is the cut-off point where the loss of one's salvation occurs? It seems to me, given how eternally significant this question is, that there would be a careful delineation in Scripture of where, exactly, this point is. But there isn't any clarification at all. If one wants to declare a point of cut-off, the choice of where or when will be unavoidably arbitrary. And if one doesn't make such a declaration, they must remain utterly uncertain as to when a loss of salvation occurs. But there are the examples of the Galatian and Corinthian believers who were caught up in moralism/legalism, carnality and even gross sexual sin whom Paul repeatedly confirms are, nonetheless, fellow, born-again children of God. In light of this (and other things), I am profoundly resistant to the notion that one's salvation can be lost.

This is about believing, not just sinning.

A distinction that is not crisp and clear. Sin is always a reflection of a corresponding belief.

They weren't just turning back to "moralistic law-keeping". They were doing that in unbelief.

I don't think they were. They merely doubted that faith in Christ alone was sufficient to accomplish their justification. It seems to me that fear that he wasn't, that they had to do something, too, in order earn their full acceptance with God, rather than simple disbelief, was at the bottom of their migration toward law-keeping. How many Christians I know today who labor under the same fear and who embark upon the very same self-justification! They are afraid to trust that Christ has, indeed, done it all and that in him they are fully, forever justified before God and unalterably accepted by Him. This fear erodes their trust, it makes them doubtful; it is not disbelief, though, that is at the heart of self-justifying law-keeping.

You can't ignore that the context is justification, not the joys and benefits and fullness of being saved.

These things are not discretely separate from one another, in my view.

You can't be saved if you make Christ of no value to you in justification.

Well, for the reasons I've offered, I don't believe this. One can be certain of their justification in Christ at the first and be truly saved and then, as in the case of the Galatians, be eroded in this certainty by false teachers. Does God withdraw His salvation of such people? Not according to what I read in Paul's letter to the Galatians.

People who do not have the benefit of Christ in justification are not going to be saved from God's wrath when Christ returns.

I would say that only those who've NEVER obtained the benefit of Christ's justification of them will suffer God's wrath at Christ's Second Coming.

Justification in Christ means receiving the imputation of God's righteousness. A perfect righteousness that makes you sinless and perfect in God's sight. Justification through law keeping means being righteous in God's sight by doing righteous things. That's why it's a damnable 'justification'. You can't do everything you have to do for that to make you righteous in God's sight (Galatians 5:3). And so the person who replaces the perfect righteousness of Christ with the righteousness of law will perish in the coming judgement and not partake in the inheritance. They will be turned away.

Well, as I've explained, I don't believe that a person truly justified in Christ, who turns from that justification toward self-justifying law-keeping will thereby undo what God through Christ accomplished in redeeming and adopting them as His own. Salvation is a permanent work of God, wrought upon a person by Him; it is not the person's work that they can undo as they like through unbelief and sin. Some things that God does in His dealings with us are not open to our alteration or approval, like our being created, for example, or in whose womb He decides we will be formed, or that we will convicted and drawn by God to Christ. In these things, God acts unilaterally and in a way we cannot reverse. So, too, I believe in the matter of salvation. I choose to be saved, yes. But God saves me and, having done so, I can do nothing to reverse what He has done any more than I can undo God's bringing me into existence through a particular human family.

Last edited:
Back