Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Advice in "The Search"

Rookie

(Formerly Soldiers) Philippians 1:21
Hey

So yeah as an incoming freshman (I'm going to Biola University fyi), with this whole adulting process has been crazy. Anyways, I was just curious to hear what y'all think about certain signs to when you knew who was for you (friend wise), who wasn't, and particularly when you're looking for in my case, a future wife, what are some things to look out for.

I read this book and one of its advice is sort of "make yourself available" meaning don't expect that God is going to bring the one for you like an Amazon delivery package to your door while you're locked up hidden from society. And I've been told that for some reason I seem him standoffish.

I don't want to turn away what God has cuz of a face or posture.

So what do you think,

And a quick note, I know the "textbook" answer, such as like "be not unequally yoked" in 1 Corinthians I believe or Matthew 6:33 on seek ye first the Kingdom of God, or Psalms it says "delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart", etc. the college I'm going to, everyone is 100% professing Christians. So presumably, they're going to pass the initial Christian screening test. But of course it takes a bit longer to actually know the heart.

So what's a more practical ways I can put into action, or if you're going to give scripture, give me exact ways to apply in real time please. And what are some secondary things I should look out for that I may not catch on the initial screening test if that makes sense.

looking for in my case, a future wife, what are some things to look out for
Welcome to the form.

What to look for in a wife?
Basically that she is a bible believing Christian who like your self believes sex is only within marriage and does not believe in evolution etc etc.

And that she loves you and that you love her, as the bible says you should.

Welcome to the form.

What to look for in a wife?
Basically that she is a bible believing Christian who like your self believes sex is only within marriage and does not believe in evolution etc etc.

And that she loves you and that you love her, as the bible says you should.
Hi yes (thank you for the welcome but I've been a member for more than a year).

I know those things which is why I called it the "initial screening test".

At my college everyone signed a statement of faith declaring they believe everything you just said. So theoretically everyone there is a Bible following Christian professing-wise.

But I read a book called "The Sacred Search by Gary Thomas, It's not about who you marry but why". And in there a dating couple checked all those boxes, but they still found that while they were good people through Christ, they still weren't meant for each other

So I know the "textbook" answer for lack of better words but after that how do you narrow down to the one?

So what's a more practical ways I can put into action, or if you're going to give scripture, give me exact ways to apply in real time please. And what are some secondary things I should look out for that I may not catch on the initial screening test if that makes sense.

I'm assuming that you want God's will for your life, including marriage to a lover of Christ/servant of God. The best way for you to find yourself within God's will and thus most likely to marry such a person - really, the only way - is as you're walking with God according to His biblical prescriptions. Are you clear, then, on what these are?

I don't know if this is the case for you, but for many Christian young people, Christian living boils down to "read your Bible, pray every day, and you'll grow, grow, grow." To be frank, this is very poor, or, at least very misleading advice, because it conflates effects with causes. Is there anything that must be true of me prior to doing these things, something in me, or about me, that prompts me to do them? Yes, absolutely.

The matter of God's First and Great Commandment (Matthew 22:36-38) is a good way, I think, to explain what I'm getting at here. In my experience, when I ask Christians to tell me what it is to love God in the way He commands, they almost always reply, "To love God is to obey Him." They then refer to verses like:

John 15:10
10 "If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love.

1 John 2:5
5 but whoever keeps His word, in him the love of God has truly been perfected. By this we know that we are in Him:

The idea that Christians who respond this way have, generally, is that by obeying God, they love Him. Essentially, obedience to God and love of Him are synonymous. What often results from this sort of thinking is a very cold, obligatory and very legalistic maintenance of Christian living that is mostly superficial. At least in part, this is the case because effect has been put in the place of cause; obedience - the effect of love for God - has been made the cause of love for God. But the Scripture above is quite plain that love for God is distinct from obedience to Him, coming before and giving rise to obedience.

John 15:10 speaks, not of our love for God, but of God's love and how it is we can "abide" (remain, continue) in it. In the verse, John doesn't actually say, "Love God by obeying Him." He's just explaining that our obedience to God keeps us in a place with Him where His love can be enjoyed in an unhindered way. But what prompts us to do so when obeying God interferes with things we really want to do?

1 John 2:5 doesn't say, "Love God by obeying Him," either. Instead, John is explaining in the verse that the love God imparts to all of His children in the Person of the Holy Spirit (Romans 5:5; Galatians 5:22) is "perfected" (brought to full completion) by the Spirit-indwelt person "keeping God's word." In other words, the Christian's obedience to God is just an expression, or manifestation, of the love of/for God present within them in the Holy Spirit. But this is rather different than asserting that we have love for God because, or through, obedience to Him.

So, what's this all got to do with the price of tea in China? Nothing. But the common confusion I've encountered among Christians about loving God does illustrate what often happens more broadly in the thinking of Christians where the effects of spiritual living are made to be causes of spiritual living and a flat, cold and hypocritical walk with God results.

The Pharisees of Christ's time are an excellent example of why obedience to God's laws (an effect) is not necessarily indicative of a heart that desires God (the cause). Professionally obedient though they were, so in love with law-keeping were they that they made up a bunch of their own laws to keep, the hearts of the Pharisees were, nonetheless far from God (Matthew 15:7-9; Matthew 23). The Christian who thinks that, by virtue of being obedient to God's rules, they are loving Him needs to consider the example of the Pharisees. Many are the Christians who obey God (at least, externally) whose hearts are cold toward God and far from Him. These same Christians would declare that they love God, however - just as the Pharisees claimed they were well-aligned with God. This is what happens when effects are confused with causes in Christian living.

You and I were made by God to flee pain and to pursue pleasure. Doing so is a primal, visceral, and thus very powerful state-of-affairs within us. It's no surprise, then, that this fact of our basic nature figures heavily into how we walk with God. If we find pleasure in God, if we find fulfillment, joy, peace and love in Him, our desire for Him expands and we move toward Him, as a result, into ever-deepening fellowship with Him (2 Corinthians 13:14; 1 John 1:3; Revelation 3:20). And the more delight and fulfillment we enjoy in communion with God, the more we act to do all we can to preserve that communion. It is this over-riding desire for God - what the Bible means by love for God - that is supposed to cause Christian living (Psalms 42:1-2; Psalms 63:1; Psalms 84:2; Philippians 3:7-14).

Psalm 36:7-9
7 How precious is Your lovingkindness, O God! And the children of men take refuge in the shadow of Your wings.
8 They drink their fill of the abundance of Your house; And You give them to drink of the river of Your delights.
9 For with You is the fountain of life; In Your light we see light.

Psalm 16:11
11 You will make known to me the path of life; In Your presence is fullness of joy; In Your right hand there are pleasures forever.

Is this your experience of walking with God in any degree? If you've had something of this sort of experience with God, is that experience growing over time?

If it isn't, you're badly missing out on what it is to be a child of God and you cannot be properly in God's will. The ever-enlarging, over-riding, positive desire for God that arises from this experience of God is supposed to be "ground zero" for all Christian living. It is what produces obedience to God's First and Great Commandment (Matthew 22:36-38). In fact, Paul the apostle wrote that no matter what a believer knows, or says, or does - even to the point of martyrdom - if love for God, first of all, and then love for others is not the motivation, it is all spiritually useless (1 Corinthians 13:1-3).

In such a condition where love for God, where a deep, over-riding desire for Him is not within you, what good reason do you have to think you'll be attractive to a godly woman in whom such a love does exist? Almost by definition, a godly woman would be one who avoids a man who is not also godly, who does not truly love God. But such a woman is to be prized far above a merely pretty one. Good looks fade over time, but a beautiful (that is, godly) heart and character, just grows more so, as the years pass. And it is such a heart that makes marriage the amazing and wonderful thing God intends it to be.

So, then, my advice to you as a young man searching for a wife is to be a man who loves God, who desires Him, with all of his heart, mind, soul and strength, casting aside anything that hinders or diminishes your pursuit of that desire for your Maker. Such a man cannot help but attract the very best (and sometimes the very worst) of women.

Last edited:
Hi yes (thank you for the welcome but I've been a member for more than a year).

I know those things which is why I called it the "initial screening test".

At my college everyone signed a statement of faith declaring they believe everything you just said. So theoretically everyone there is a Bible following Christian professing-wise.

But I read a book called "The Sacred Search by Gary Thomas, It's not about who you marry but why". And in there a dating couple checked all those boxes, but they still found that while they were good people through Christ, they still weren't meant for each other

So I know the "textbook" answer for lack of better words but after that how do you narrow down to the one?

That's when dating turns into courting.
Dating one is going out with a girl for company and the thrill of being close to a girl.
Courting is when both of you are exploring what each other believes, abortion, euthanasia, divorce etc, how that belief works in one's daily life, how you both handle disagreements, how you work together, how you both are involved in church, views on work, home etc etc.

As to how one knows that this is ' Miss Right ' I can't tell you.
All I know was I was prepared to commit my self to her and we're still married a life time later.
Take your time, docheck out each others families. They are a major influence on both of you and you can't expect ' Miss Right ' to be a carbon copy of your mother, she's a copy ofher mother.

Are you clear, then, on what these are?

I don't know if this is the case for you, but for many Christian young people, Christian living boils down to "read your Bible, pray every day, and you'll grow, grow, grow." To be frank, this is very poor, or, at least very misleading advice, because it conflates effects with causes.
Yes sir, I would say God's requirements are summed up in Romans 12:2, 1 John 4:6-9, Matthew 7:23-25, 1 John 3:4-10, Revelation 3:16, James 1:22-23, Matthew 4:17.

As for or your theological composition of the attribution of compulsory obedience in comparison to love, I agree on the premise that obedience can't be begrudging. But I do caution the idea that we need to wait on some bubbly feeling in order to obey.

Alright it feels "legalistic" (a term never used in the Bible).... Who cares? We living in the flesh so obedience will feel compulsory at first. As time goes on we will develop that love and right motivation.

But obedience and avoiding sin gotta come first. You can't say to your wife, "once I find the love for you, I will stop my side relationship with Bianca, and start committing to you".

Nah it's you get your impulsive self on your knees, grovel and beg for your wife's forgiveness, and immediately end all outlets of sin and adultery, and go out of your way to earn her trust back. Then we can talk about the other stuff.

How much more do we do this for the infinite and all powerful Lord God?

Last edited:
Yes sir, I would say God's requirements are summed up in Romans 12:2, 1 John 4:6-9, Matthew 7:23-25, 1 John 3:4-10, Revelation 3:16, James 1:22-23, Matthew 4:17.

I see. So, what about Romans 12:1? Can you properly fulfill Romans 12:2 without first obeying Romans 12:1?

Matthew 22:36-40
36 “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?”
37 And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.
38 This is the great and first commandment.
39 And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself.
40 On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets.”

In light of what Jesus said in the quotation above, which comes first?: the love of 1 John 4:7-11? Or the love of Matthew 22:36-38?

Where does fulfilling the will of the Father (Matthew 7:21) begin? See above. Can you properly do God's will while neglecting the First and Great Commandment?

By what means is 1 John 3:4-10 accomplished?

Why did the Laodicean church grow "lukewarm"? At bottom, what was the reason they grew spiritually complacent in their wealth and comfort? If they had been enjoying God in the wonderful fellowship the Bible describes that we can have with Him, would they have grown lukewarm toward Him, do you think?

So, can you explain how James 1:22-23 and Philippians 2:13 work together?

As for or your theological composition of the attribution of compulsory obedience in comparison to love, I agree on the premise that obedience can't be begrudging. But I do caution the idea that we need to wait on some bubbly feeling in order to obey.

You'll notice that nowhere in what I wrote in my last post do I speak of a "bubbly feeling." This is NOT what the Bible - or I - mean by "love." In fact, I described to you what the Bible means by "love." Where in that description is a "bubbly feeling" implied or described?

Alright it feels "legalistic" (a term never used in the Bible).... Who cares? We living in the flesh so obedience will feel compulsory at first. As time goes on we will develop that love and right motivation.

No, it won't. If you get things backwards in walking with God, you will embark on a pattern-setting journey spiritually that will take you from Him, not toward Him. And the longer you remain in that faulty pattern, the harder it will be to extricate yourself from it. I'm telling you this as one who has walked with God for fifty years now and was once where you are, thinking the things you are about spiritual living. You can benefit from my experience and biblical counsel by heeding it, or you can act as most young men do and reflexively spurn what you don't understand because you think in your two decades or so of life you've come to know life with God better than those who've walked with Him for more than twice as long. In any case, why ask for advice when your "cup" is already entirely filled with your own ideas?

But obedience and avoiding sin gotta come first.

This isn't what the Bible teaches. Please read my last post to you more carefully.

You can't say to your wife, "once I find the love for you, I will stop my side relationship with Bianca, and start committing to you".

Why does a married man have a "side-relationship" with another woman in the first place? The very thing that has induced him to start up such a relationship will be what prevents him from giving it up! You might want to study what "repentance" is.

Nah it's you get your impulsive self on your knees, grovel and beg for your wife's forgiveness, and immediately end all outlets of sin and adultery, and go out of your way to earn her trust back.

Are you trolling? This is so silly it seems like it. How...amazing it is that you state such thing with such blunt confidence! Wow. Biola is going to give your thinking some serious bruising, I think.

How much more do we do this for the infinite and all powerful Lord God?

??? Do you know how many professing to know Him live in constant sin? As you dwell longer within the Church, you're going to discover that most carry on this way. Because few of them understand what I wrote to you in my first post to this thread. Heed what I've shown you from God's word or join them. There isn't any other option God issues to us.

I see. So, what about Romans 12:1? Can you properly fulfill Romans 12:2 without first obeying Romans 12:1?
Ofc, I originally meant 1-2, in actuality in order to obey Romans 12:1-2, we have to know what 11 verses 33-36 say. Particularly in verse 36 where it says, "for from him and threw him into him are all things to him be the glory forever amen".

Then when 12:1 says, therefore I urge you... We see here what are indicative into obeying God is.

- Because everything came from him aka Divine Ownership
- Everything came through him aka Divine Conduit
- And everything was made for him and dedicated to him, Divine Authority.

In light of what Jesus said in the quotation above, which comes first?: the love of 1 John 4:7-11? Or the love of Matthew 22:36-38?

Where does fulfilling the will of the Father (Matthew 7:21) begin? See above. Can you properly do God's will while neglecting the First and Great Commandment?
The scripture in 1st John and Matthew are perfectly cohesive, there was no contradiction within those two. It is not possible to do God's will and neglect the first and greatest commandment. Idk what you're getting at.

By what means is 1 John 3:4-10 accomplished?
Through Holy Spirit inspired obedience lol, it's not rocket science

So, can you explain how James 1:22-23 and Philippians 2:13 work together?
It's quite easy to be honest, if you look at the verse just right above Philippians 2:13, you will see how it can easily co-align with James chapter 1 verses 22 to 23, all it is is God is actually the one who produces the work, we have the responsibility of not pressing override.

You'll notice that nowhere in what I wrote in my last post do I speak of a "bubbly feeling." This is NOT what the Bible - or I - mean by "love." In fact, I described to you what the Bible means by "love." Where in that description is a "bubbly feeling" implied or described?
It is implied when you went on the rant about legalism and compulsory obedience, which is similar to what these new age progressive Christians try to preach, that we have to conjure up some something as a prerequisite to obeying God.

Granted some people can obey God immediately just based off of love, but if anyone is like me that didn't work, it first took for me to repent of my sins and have that spiritual blindness lifted from my eyes, in order for me to see that God's way is much better and that's when the love started to grow. But while I was in the midst of my sin, I thought I was living the life and living for God was miserable, and if it wasn't for some of my brothers and sisters in Christ just shut me down and shut me out of my addictions, despite it how much I hated what they were doing at the time, I would not be a Christian today. Remember Nineveh repented because they feared the wrath of God, not quite cuz of the love of God

Am I saying the love of God is not a part of the process no, but the very first initial hit may not be because of love. That wasn't my story at least.

I'm telling you this as one who has walked with God for fifty years now and was once where you are, thinking the things you are about spiritual living. You can benefit from my experience and biblical counsel by heeding it, or you can act as most young men do and reflexively spurn
Congratulations on your extravagant journey in Christ, and I respect that, but age does not mean anything when it comes to Christ. I know plenty of people who claim to be in Christ for 40 50 and even 60 years, but still don't know enough scripture to stop smoking weed. But I've seen people who in their first three weeks of Christianity have given up in pursued God on a skill more higher than any of these supposedly long-term Christians. I was even debating an 80 year old on this platform last year and he was still using immature tactics from kindergarten like calling names, etc.

And I find that those as such yourself believe that once you hit a certain decade and Christianity you know everything, pride takes over, and anyone who is Young is automatically wrong. That is also a big grievance that I hear amongst younger Christians when speaking of older Christians.

Thank God that is contrary to scripture (i.e. 1 Timothy 4:2, 1 Corinthians 1:27)

You can benefit from my experience and biblical counsel by heeding it, or you can act as most young men do and reflexively spurn what you don't understand because you think in your two decades or so of life you've come to know life with God better than those who've walked with Him for more than twice as long. In any case, why ask for advice when your "cup" is already entirely filled with your own ideas?
Your long straw-man fallacy automatically proves my point of the message above. Never in scripture does it say age equals spiritual authority. Of course you can bring up the scripture in first and second Timothy about elders and take out out of context if you want to.
I don't see why you are here to debate on a topic that I didn't even ask about, the moment you started talking already know it was going to be about something irrelevant to my question, probably a theological rant in which you argued with several other people about.

This isn't what the Bible teaches. Please read my last post to you more carefully.
Correction that isn't what you believe it teaches. Not only am I living witness, scripture proves it.

Matthew 4:17 says repent for the kingdom of God is at hand. It didn't say, fall in love with Jesus and then repent, for the kingdom of God is at hand. It also didn't say, "Jesus developed relationships with people, then he preached and said repent for the kingdom of God is at hand".

Your eisegesis of Scripture is self-idolatry.

Why does a married man have a "side-relationship" with another woman in the first place? The very thing that has induced him to start up such a relationship will be what prevents him from giving it up! You might want to study what "repentance" is.
Because this man was already living in sin before he met this woman, and once he saw that this woman was the Way the Truth and the Life (probably should have used a woman to her husband instead of husband to his wife as an example), he felt convicted for his sinful relationship in attempted repentance. The problem was he was still in love with ol girl, while still in covenant with the Way. Hence why he kept dabbling and maintaining the sin.

That was me, I knew that God was the right way and I knew that my sin was the wrong way, so I attempted to repent, but I didn't take God that seriously, and I was still in love with my sin, even today I still face the seduction of my sin. Only this time I have the fear of God in me, which is the beginning of wisdom, and indulging my lust is far less worth it than to fall in the hands of an Awesome and Powerful God. And as God starts to uncover my eyes, (because it's kind of hard to see send for what it is when you're in the darkness of it), the more I abide in the light the more I see how dark darkness really is, and I start to hate it, and I start to love God.

Are you trolling? This is so silly it seems like it. How...amazing it is that you state such thing with such blunt confidence! Wow. Biola is going to give your thinking some serious bruising, I think.
Apparently since there is no comprehensive answer to this, I think it's safe to assume that pride has blocked a productive admission to the fact that you refuse to admit to the truth. Because it will hurt your pride too much, that someone who has serve the Lord for half a century, can be one-uped by a newbie who's not even legal yet

Do you know how many professing to know Him live in constant sin? As you dwell longer within the Church, you're going to discover that most carry on this way. Because few of them understand what I wrote to you in my first post to this thread. Heed what I've shown you from God's word or join them. There isn't any other option God issues to us.
While I do know countless examples, I don't need to worry about their lives because I was one of them, and now I'm a living testimony to God's grace and mercy, not to your personal opinion of theology. How about this you go conquer your side for Christ, I'll conquer my side, and we'll meet each other on the other side?

Oh, dear...

You can lead a horse to water...
Aka you know you can't counter it (and didn't expect a detailed Scriptural response, but you should know me by now)
and instead of repenting of falsely attacking me and airing your opinions pride prohibits you of doing so.

I'm still hoping I can get an answer to my original question, not a lecture of the age equals authority myth that's no where in Scripture pertaining to. theology. And if I'm truly wrong, please point it out biblically and I will admit to it as I've done before.

But disrespecting my youth (violating Scripture) with opinions and a secular "leading horses to water" won't cut it.

Last edited:
Hey

So yeah as an incoming freshman (I'm going to Biola University fyi), with this whole adulting process has been crazy. Anyways, I was just curious to hear what y'all think about certain signs to when you knew who was for you (friend wise), who wasn't, and particularly when you're looking for in my case, a future wife, what are some things to look out for.

I read this book and one of its advice is sort of "make yourself available" meaning don't expect that God is going to bring the one for you like an Amazon delivery package to your door while you're locked up hidden from society. And I've been told that for some reason I seem him standoffish.

I don't want to turn away what God has cuz of a face or posture.

So what do you think,

And a quick note, I know the "textbook" answer, such as like "be not unequally yoked" in 1 Corinthians I believe or Matthew 6:33 on seek ye first the Kingdom of God, or Psalms it says "delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart", etc. the college I'm going to, everyone is 100% professing Christians. So presumably, they're going to pass the initial Christian screening test. But of course it takes a bit longer to actually know the heart.

Here's something to consider. Instead of "looking for a wife", look to participate in hobbies you enjoy. An important thing about marriage imo is to have things in common that might enable both of you to build on those common things. Or consider volunteering for a non-profit or just volunteering to help someone that needs your help in some way (doing Christ's Work as He calls us to do might just find you what you seek in a partner).

Sigh but won't give anything to disprove the scriptural depiction that I gave you.

That's pride mixed in with the 11th commandment that Moses forgot to write down that says, "because I'm older I know better".

It's okay to admit that you're wrong, you're not the only Hall of Famer that got one upped by a rookie.

Maybe next time answering the question instead of using this as an opportunity to give a theological rant which I guarantee you that I'm not the first person you've tried to give this lecture to, will be a better course of action.

Sigh but won't give anything to disprove the scriptural depiction that I gave you.

It's not my habit to argue with the obviously ignorant. It's like fighting with a man who has no arms or legs.

That's pride mixed in with the 11th commandment that Moses forgot to write down that says, "because I'm older I know better".

This is just projection, as far as I'm concerned. If you don't know what that is, feel free to Google it.

It's okay to admit that you're wrong, you're not the only Hall of Famer that got one upped by a rookie.

And this sort of acute spiritual blindness is why I sigh. It demonstrates a degree of myopia about yourself and your grasp of God's truth that at the moment I think only God can resolve for you.

Maybe next time answering the question instead of using this as an opportunity to give a theological rant...

That you think it a "theological rant" merely demonstrates what I've said above. Hopefully, your time at Biola will help improve your understanding.

It's not my habit to argue with the obviously ignorant. It's like fighting with a man who has no arms or legs.

This is just projection, as far as I'm concerned. If you don't know what that is, feel free to Google it.

And this sort of acute spiritual blindness is why I sigh. It demonstrates a degree of myopia about yourself and your grasp of God's truth that at the moment I think only God can resolve for you.

That you think it a "theological rant" merely demonstrates what I've said above. Hopefully, your time at Biola will help improve your understanding.
If I'm so spiritually blind why don't you take the time to open my eyes and answer my defense then.

You can only dance around the topic so long before everyone can see right through you clearly.

Until you can back up the conjecture you've thrown, he'll still remained as someone who's inflated with their own pride and got humiliated and refuses to humble themselves.

If what I'm saying is so spiritually ignorant and myopia, why don't you answer it line for a line, the reason is because you can't. And you hide behind nonsense and rhetoric.

If anyone has two eyes they can clearly see that I was asking for a tips to find the right one, and you went on a rant about what it means to obey God and what younger people should do for older people.

Hopefully, your time at Biola will help improve your understanding
I already spent some good time there I even spent the night there, and if anything they strengthen my position. Even the books that I got assigned to read strengthen my position.

Hopefully one day it won't take the wrath of God to show you that humility is better than pride.

Back