Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study alcohol and sin

drinking alcohol a sin?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It depends

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jesus created wine (the best ever) and drank enough wine that the legalists called him a drunkard.

Imagican said:
What is the definition of 'drunk'?
According to websters.com, one definition is:
1 a : having the faculties impaired by alcohol

I think drinking for some is not a problem , and then with others it becomes a great problem. I think when taken to excess you will ultamitly sin and so I voted that depends.

Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called the children of God.

The whole key here is not to let the things of the world be our master, but instead, our servants. :)

I'd have to agree that consuming alchohol is not a sin. Not only did Jesus drink wine, but when He created that wine at the wedding feast, He would have sinned by helping someone else to sin along the stumbling block lines.

You are forgetting that the term 'wine' mostly refers to unfermented grape juice, a highly sought after commodity.

I can't see the bible saying, 'Wine is a mocker and strong drink is raging and whosoever is deceiveth by this is not wise' and then says 'Go ahead and drink it'.

Now some will emphasise the part 'whosoever is deceiveth by it' in support of social drinking. My question is:

Do we really have the ability to not be alcholics? What distinguishes the alky from the social drinker? Is it will power or tolerance? When you are hooked, you are hooked. Therefore, the 'not being decieved' is really a redundancy for nobody grows up saying, 'Hey, I want to be a wino on the street drinking Brut 33 in the gutter.

I'm not saying that taking that drink is necessarily a sin, just that our homes are being broken because of it and there is more to the Greek and Hebrew than automatically assuming everyone in the Bible imbibed on alcoholic wine.

Drinking in itself is not a sin, as Jesus said that, that which comes in a man cannot defile him, only that which comes out of him. However St.Paul makes it clear that drunkards would not inherit the Kingdom of Heaven, because it's selfishness.

All addictions can come to an end.

guibox said:
You are forgetting that the term 'wine' mostly refers to unfermented grape juice, a highly sought after commodity.

I can't see the bible saying, 'Wine is a mocker and strong drink is raging and whosoever is deceiveth by this is not wise' and then says 'Go ahead and drink it'.

Greetings, guibox.

Please explain the following to me.

Luke 1:15
...for he will be great in the sight of the Lord. He is never to take wine or other fermented drink, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit even from
birth.

According to this passage, wine here means fermented drink.

Also, Jesus referenced John the Baptist's abstinance and had some further comments:

Luke 7:32-34
They are like children sitting in the marketplace and calling out to each other:
" 'We played the flute for you,
and you did not dance;
we sang a dirge,
and you did not cry.' For John the Baptist came neither eating bread nor drinking wine, and you say, 'He has a demon.' The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and you say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and "sinners."

Here we see Jesus admit to drinking the fermented wine that John the Baptist didn't drink!

And the "Pharisees and experts in the law" (See verse 30) were accusing Jesus of being a drunkard!

How could they make a statement that Jesus was a drunkard unless they saw Him drinking fermented wine?

Jesus didn't deny drinking fermented wine, did He?

Our pastor says that wine in the bible refers to grape juice not fermented. Also that Jesus did not drink real wine, so Im a little mixed up because I have never found where it says all wine refered to is not fermented. :-?

Everything in moderation.

Eating too much food is a sin (gluttony) yet we still eat food right? Therefore drinking too much alcohol is a sin yet we can still drink.

Eat, drink and be merry but just don't eat and drink too much...that's where one of the fruits of the spirit comes in - self control!

greyfeather said:
Our pastor says that wine in the bible refers to grape juice not fermented. Also that Jesus did not drink real wine, so Im a little mixed up because I have never found where it says all wine refered to is not fermented. :-?

He's mistaken.

We know that Jesus' last supper was the Passover meal (Mark 14:14-17). Jewish tradition was to drink wine, not grape juice, at the Passover. One writer has said, "Oral tradition contained in the Mishnah commanded that even the poorest person must drink the minimum four cups, even if he had to sell himself to do labour or had to borrow money in order to buy the wine" ( Rosen, C. and M. Christ in the Passover. 1978. Page 51).

"Because the last supper was on Passover, at Nisan 14 (April), seven months had elapsed since the harvest of the vine... any grape juice in Palestine would be well fermented"

But there is more than tradition. The "fruit of the vine" could not have been grape juice because of time considerations. The Palestine grape harvest begins in the Jewish month of Elul (August-September). The harvest is over before Tishri 15-21 (September-October), the Festival of Booths - Deuteronomy 16:13. Because the last supper was on Passover, at Nisan 14 (April), seven months had elapsed since the harvest of the vine. Long before the last supper, any grape juice in Palestine would be well fermented. So, when Jesus drank the "fruit of the vine" at the last supper, we can be sure that he could only have been drinking wine. That is why, when the Corinthians re-enacted the supper, some of them could get drunk (1Corinthians 11:21). Do the think that Jesus sinned by drinking wine?

If one just has one or two drinks socially it is probably not a sin, unfortunately there are those that will push the limit because of the sin nature that we all have.

OneMore.jpg

I do not drink anymore as it doesn't appeal to me. I do like juice, water, and diet coke.

I cannot stand the smell of any type of alcohal...especially coming from someone who has had even a drink. Makes me sick.

Proverbs 20:1 - Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.

Drinking alcohol is not a sin, however when we drink in excess and become inebriated, we are deceived thereby and thus it is a sin.

God Bless!

Proverbs 20:1 - Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.

Drinking alcohol is not a sin, however when we drink in excess and become inebriated, we are deceived thereby and thus it is a sin.

God Bless!

Proverbs 20:1 - Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.[/color
]

Back