Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

america

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

jasoncran

why do american christians assume that God willed this nation to be his nation as light unto the earth?

yes we do in a sense all do that?

i want to examine this.

facts while i believe that the revolutionary war was needed as it was done as the last resort., i dont see that God would bless america above all just because we are america.

I don't get it either. The pagan Egyptians were much wealthier than God's chosen Israel. India is currently expanding its economy rapidly, and that's certainly not a Christian culture.

I guess you could argue that maybe since we were founded on Christian--by which I mean Protestant, especially Calvinist--values, God might have showed us more favor. I don't think so. A lot of Calvinist virtues--hard work, living within your means, wise investing--will pay off even if you ignore God completely. I think you can see that in the secularized hyper-Calvinist values of many of today's upper-middle and upper-classes.

I don't know why the idea holds. I think its part patriotism and part a way to justify our success compared to other nations. Also, as the economy continues to stall and we start losing our position of dominance, I think a lot of people are seeing that as God's judgment for moving away from our Christian heritage. I don't think that. Nations suffer hard times and fall from power all the time, regardless of their religious systems.

I don't get it either. The pagan Egyptians were much wealthier than God's chosen Israel. India is currently expanding its economy rapidly, and that's certainly not a Christian culture.

I guess you could argue that maybe since we were founded on Christian--by which I mean Protestant, especially Calvinist--values, God might have showed us more favor. I don't think so. A lot of Calvinist virtues--hard work, living within your means, wise investing--will pay off even if you ignore God completely. I think you can see that in the secularized hyper-Calvinist values of many of today's upper-middle and upper-classes.

I don't know why the idea holds. I think its part patriotism and part a way to justify our success compared to other nations. Also, as the economy continues to stall and we start losing our position of dominance, I think a lot of people are seeing that as God's judgment for moving away from our Christian heritage. I don't think that. Nations suffer hard times and fall from power all the time, regardless of their religious systems.

possible, butt the heritage is undeniable.

i'm sure you have read the mayflower compact, and yes i see this as a judgment but not of the nation but to the church. to get awake and stop being comfortable,God didnt save us to make us fat, but to die if need be so that others can see his salvation.

we ask for revival the trial comes and what do we do? blow it.

Sounds a bit like the the history in the scriptures Jason....

USA for a time was a blessed nation. I believe other nations have been blessed at/in different times.

We can not look at the papers of our founding fathers and not see the hand of God. Jesus could just as well been looking at USA saying

Luk 13:34 O USA USA, which killest the prophets, and stonest them that are sent unto thee; how often would I have gathered thy children together, as a hen doth gather her brood under her wings, and ye would not!
Luk 13:35 Behold, your house is left unto you desolate: and verily I say unto you, Ye shall not see me, until the time come when ye shall say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord.

Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political proserity, religion and morality are indispensable supports. It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and Bible. George Washington

Where o where are our men of God

USA for a time was a blessed nation. I believe other nations have been blessed at/in different times.

We can not look at the papers of our founding fathers and not see the hand of God. Jesus could just as well been looking at USA saying

Luk 13:34 O USA USA, which killest the prophets, and stonest them that are sent unto thee; how often would I have gathered thy children together, as a hen doth gather her brood under her wings, and ye would not!
Luk 13:35 Behold, your house is left unto you desolate: and verily I say unto you, Ye shall not see me, until the time come when ye shall say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord.

Where o where are our men of God

no, but we seem to think we were the only the nation of today or in the past that did that.

uh nick kindly post the side of politics that you vote and what they say is important? its nearly the same as us. so how is it that we alone were the only "blessed" nation? i dont recall us killing saints.

but we did in the days of the past lust after indian land even before founding of the nation.

the puritians in mass often took land from the indians as they felt they were being judged by God when they died from diseases and also when they wanted land.that isnt what winthrop wanted.

I agree Reba. I believe that the USA has been so blessed because we were founded with Christian values and lived these Christian values. We were "One nation under God". Not any more. Take a look at some of the quotes of our president or the morality of today's people. Take a look at the book of Judges. We need another Deborah or Gideon.

Westtexas

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back