Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Amy Winehouse and the way we think of her death.

danus to add to that. when soldiers die overseas few outside the family and friends remember and mourn them. yet they die for our freedom the same with the cops and other heroes that do better society.

yet with these "heroes" what have they done to better society? some promoted drugs, sex and etc. yet they are mourned.

Did Winehouse's funeral violate Jewish law?

'An increasingly significant number of Jews are choosing cremation,' one rabbi explains

110726-ent-amynote-hmed.grid-5x2.jpg

A floral tribute is left outside Amy Winehouse's home on July 24, 2011 in London.

Is it true that Amy Winehouse was Jewish? How can that be if she was cremated, and had so many tattoos, which are against Jewish tradition? —Jewish in Los Angeles, via the inbox
Indeed, Amy Winehouse was a post-millennial queen of Jewish soul, as much of a spiritual daughter of Abraham as Carole King.
Winehouse's parents, Mitchell and Janis, gave their daughter a Jewish funeral, but some aspects of the farewell were decidedly less traditional than others:

Yes, the funeral reportedly was overseen by a rabbi, with prayers in Hebrew and English. Winehouse's family also plans to sit shiva, the traditional Jewish approach to mourning. But Winehouse was also, indeed, cremated, which is, as you mention, not in line with Judaism.
Rabbi Mark S. Diamond, Executive Vice President of the Board of Rabbis of Southern California, of the Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles, said he was saddened to hear of Winehouse's death.
Story: Winehouse's father says 'good night' to late singer He also explained why the cremation was unusual.
"This is a very sad tragedy, a human tragedy," he said. As for cremation, "it's clearly prohibited in Jewish tradition." The reason: Jews believe they were created in the image of God, and should return to God as intact as possible—no embalming, even, if possible.
In fact, the rabbi says, the issue is considered so serious that, even if a Jewish person expresses a preference for cremation in a will, "you are able to, and often even encouraged to, disregard that directive."
That said, well, we're living in 2011—"the modern world," Diamond says.
"An increasingly significant number of Jews are choosing cremation. It's not something I would encourage, but we live as a part of the world."
Story: Winehouse's phone was hacked, reporter claims The cremation wasn't the only non-traditional thing about the Jewish Winehouse. She also wore tattoos, which, historically, are not desirable for Jews.
"That goes back to the Bible," Diamond confirms.
"But that in no way would absolutely preclude someone from being buried in a Jewish cemetery. We live in the 21st century, and Jewish people, particularly young Jews, have a wide variety of practices and beliefs, customs and rituals, that respect a blend of traditions."
No matter how her parents designed her memorial, it was likely the best way they thought they could find some peace. And I say amen to that.

• ss-110726-amy-winehouse-update-05.grid-8x2.jpg

Father's farewell

Mitch Winehouse, the father of the late British singer Amy Winehouse, arrives at Golders Green Crematorium in London for a ceremony for his daughter on Tuesday, July 26.

Amy Winehouse died at her London home on Saturday, July 23, at the age of 27. The cause of death has not yet been determined. (Luke Macgregor / Reuters) Share Related story Winehouse's father says 'good night' to late singer
Did Winehouse's funeral violate Jewish law? - Entertainment - Celebrities - TODAY.com

danus to add to that. when soldiers die overseas few outside the family and friends remember and mourn them. yet they die for our freedom the same with the cops and other heroes that do better society.

yet with these "heroes" what have they done to better society? some promoted drugs, sex and etc. yet they are mourned.

Your right and that's a shame, but I fly the flag and teach my kids about it. Not about America as much as it is about people doing something for the greater good to uphold an idea.

This past spring I chaperoned my oldest daughters field trip to visit the WWII museum in New Orleans, LA. Those where real hero's. Ordinary people doing something for the greater good and not thinking of themselves.

Lewis,

Not to detract from a father's real and evident grief...but don't you find it ironic that the article is questioning a Rabbi on the funeral and tattoos...and yet don't question the out of control drug and alcohol abuse?

Yet again, the media gets it all so wrong.

Yeah but Jason I don't like Willie at all. Can't stand his music it all sounds the same.

Cash was addicted to drugs but he never used it as a selling point and he fought it and eventually conquered it. My point wasn't that they don't use and abuse (because people from all socio-economic backgrounds fall for the lust drugs bring with them). My point was that with the exception of Willie no one uses it as a way to sell albums.

And besides I listen to old country and new country (not the middle stuff like where Willie falls into play). And mostly bluegrass.

Yeah but Jason I don't like Willie at all. Can't stand his music it all sounds the same.

Cash was addicted to drugs but he never used it as a selling point and he fought it and eventually conquered it. My point wasn't that they don't use and abuse (because people from all socio-economic backgrounds fall for the lust drugs bring with them). My point was that with the exception of Willie no one uses it as a way to sell albums.

And besides I listen to old country and new country (not the middle stuff like where Willie falls into play). And mostly bluegrass.
old as in the 40 and 50's,hmm i will have to look and see what my wife has in stash. no johnny didnt promote that..old country didnt promote that and often but that in a bad light when they sung about that stuff.

patsy cline etc is who you listen too?

Your right and that's a shame, but I fly the flag and teach my kids about it. Not about America as much as it is about people doing something for the greater good to uphold an idea.

This past spring I chaperoned my oldest daughters field trip to visit the WWII museum in New Orleans, LA. Those where real hero's. Ordinary people doing something for the greater good and not thinking of themselves.
since you live not far from ft.knox. if its still there take them there to see the gold desiptory and also visit the patton musuem. theres also louisville that isnt too far to see. those that know me on fb have seen my pics of the patton musuem.

i read it. we should do a thread on jewish burials the informed might learn a thing or do that the jews still look and they often wont know that they are quoting verses that we use to point to the lord that did come to die on the cross.

Yes Jason the Hebrews in my family my mom and my (grand mom now deceased ) and my aunt and brother do it all the time. And if I tell them that Jesus is in the Old Testament, they look at me like I am crazy. They are the type of Hebrews who will not go past Malachi. The NT is off limits. Do you know how I feel sometime, thinking about what will happen at their deaths ? When my grand mom died we had her funeral in a church, if she could have got up out of that casket she would have killed us all. Some of the family did not like that but my uncle and aunt the 2 oldest who are Christians, made the desicion. The Hebrew baby aunt protested, saying mom would not have wanted this, and she is right. She even tried to tell the Pastor not to mention anything out of the NT and he said to her on the phone with me sitting there, that nobody tells him what to preach when the Holy Gives him something. This was 2 years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
since the gentiles that are uniformed dont know why the other hebrews would take offense. first the jews have to be buried a certian way and mourned. and it not look upon death but rather as this awesome idea that we christians dont realise. a mitzvah! that is the idea we espouse death is but a new level of growth, and also a time of learning. we are transformed.

while not taught or directly stated. i see in the verses where paul talks about putting immortalilty that by death we become a new creature as a seed dies but then a new life is born. the seed or fleshly shelll must die so that the new creature can come forth.

the hebrews also have a family rite of them tossing holy soil from , get this, the mount of olivet! and also blessing a wheel barrel of soil that is to be tossed on the deceased by the rabbi. they also place this in hebrew son or daughter of jacob on the head stone and the idea of death and the soil is to unite all jews. for the day comes that the hamashiac will bring all back to isreal when he comes.

that should ring a bell.

I was shocked when I found out the whole thing saddened me. I like her music and think the loss of any young life is tragic. Those that exploit for profit have much to answer for.

AS does this and I hope those who wrote it can find forgiveness ( it was one of the first things I saw after she died on the net) another exploiter for profit- " Amy Winehouse killed by Illuminanti stuff popped up everywhere) Have people no conscience or shame?

Interesting post Danus, good point Jason, and good catch Handy. Makes you wonder if this was indeed planned. I am just now reading the thread so I am commenting from the first few posts.

Back