Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[_ Old Earth _] An Archaeological Moment In Time

• Thread starter VirginShallConceive
  • Start date

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
V

VirginShallConceive

Pretty much, the gist of this video is that at around the approximate time that Young Earth Creationists proclaim that the Earth was created, there is overwhelming evidence that there was already a thriving human population around the globe. Subsequently, this video renders Noah's Flood and the Tower of Babel as mere myths that are nothing more than primitively-minded nonsense.

Any thoughts?

[video=youtube;iWjtRFNSl2s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWjtRFNSl2s[/video]

Whilst I agree with much of the videos information, the author doesn't give himself a very valid position without the sources from which he found this information. I'll see if I can supply a couple of sources at least :)

The Kurgan Culture has been dated back to as far as 4th and 5th millennium BC. An believed example of one of the earlier Kurgan cultures is the Samara culture of the late 6th and early 5th millennium BC. It was discovered during an archaeological excavation in Russia in 1973.

Prehistoric Ireland is well document and culture there is dated from as far back as 8000 BC. An example of early Mesolithic excavations would be Mount Sandel, dated back to 7000 BC.

In fact, from 4000 BC, there is an abundance of archaeological evidence pertaining to well established cultures within this era, all over the world.

That being said, I wouldn't equate the stories in the Bible to "nothing more than primitively-minded nonsense", but rather ideas formed from lack of information, that at least offered answers to questions or scenarios that these primitive cultures didn't fully understand without the written history of the world (none of which existed), without the knowledge of the many other cultures beyond their own, and without any way of creating an accurate timeline for the world.

If we understand that the bible states that the lifespan of mankind was reduced by an order of 10 (or thereabouts) after the time of the flood and if we don't look at mankind as having slowly progressed from primitive stages, but instead as having fallen from grace and also from great civilizations, how can we sort all the "evidence" so neatly into the Conan and 10 Million Years BC video feeds that the YouTube presentation includes? Was Arnold governor of California before or after he served his duty to that false god? What about what's her name? Raquel? Did she know how to write back then? Was she literate? Oh, wait! These are narratives that are fictional! Now I get it. The idea is that because there are some fictional accounts, all accounts are fictional.

Okay, got it. Do you really need a reply here? Sounds like rhetoric to me.

If we understand that the bible states that the lifespan of mankind was reduced by an order of 10 (or thereabouts) after the time of the flood and if we don't look at mankind as having slowly progressed from primitive stages, but instead as having fallen from grace and also from great civilizations, how can we sort all the "evidence" so neatly into the Conan and 10 Million Years BC video feeds that the YouTube presentation includes? Was Arnold governor of California before or after he served his duty to that false god? What about what's her name? Raquel? Did she know how to write back then? Was she literate? Oh, wait! These are narratives that are fictional! Now I get it. The idea is that because there are some fictional accounts, all accounts are fictional.

Okay, got it. Do you really need a reply here? Sounds like rhetoric to me.

LOL! Good post. I love the Arnold and Raquel stuff.

David Christian: The history of our world in 18 minutes

[video=youtube;yqc9zX04DXs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqc9zX04DXs[/video]

• An egg. Goldilocks pockets. Was that the Matrix (filemarker 2:50)?
  • "Magical" threshold moments. The beginning of time starts at filemarker 4:00. 13.7 billion years rewound (nice trick, right?)
  • Things are imagined to be cubed "a gazillion times"
  • No mention of the origin of the theory and how men used to think that it was solar system sized, no mention of the idea that it was once thought of as the size of an egg, no. We "rewind" to the place now where all things are contained in whatever we can imagine and beyond to the unimaginable size of a single atom (nice trick, right?)
  • "Energy does something else, quite magical. It congeals to form matter." filemarker 5:00 only a minute has gone by
  • Filemarker 6:30 and we are still imagining... Now we are invited to consider Gravity. The Narrator doesn't mention the Hebrew phrase, "Tohu wa-Bohu" or in English "Without form and void" or "Waste and Void" or "formless and empty" but I imagine that's what he's trying to talk about.
  • Filemarker 7:00 and Stars are appearing, according to the narrative, about "200 million years after the Big Bang."
  • Stars "create" more "Goldilocks" conditions across the universe (especially when they 'die')
  • Gold was formed in super-nova explosion, we are told. I don't see any indication of any matter beyond iron within stars but that's probably my ignorance.

AstrophysicsCartoon.jpg

• Particles around young stars form snowflakes, dust and planets (nice trick, right?)
  • filemarker 8:00, according to the narrative, 4½ Billion years ago, our solar system (regular size? egg size? He doesn't say) is formed. 4th Threshold of complexity is crossed.
  • "Creative entities" are introduced. They are vulnerable, significantly more vulnerable, more fragile, significantly more fragile. Do you like underdogs? You're not alone.
  • Filemarker 9:00 is approached and another comedic thught occurred to me. Chemistry. What is it?
purity_zps9e425ed8.png

PlanckEinsteinbohrlarge_zps50c5caf2.jpg

• Unmentioned threshold and unmentioned Goldilocks condition: You need water. What about our current effort to discover water? Anywhere. Wouldn't it be nice? Could NASA then continue to seek life elsewhere? Yep. But where is water? On the earth, as far as we know. But there I go again, I shouldn't think when the most brilliant minds of the planet are speaking, it's disrespectful. This is TED talks though, TED stands for Technology Entertainment and Design). Certainly these stories are entertaining.
  • New trick (I'm quoting exactly now, his words in this case, not mine) introduced by life. Stabilize the template. Filemarker 10½
  • Filemarker 11:00 and Information become part of the story. "The real beauty is in it's imperfections."
    Errors work. Diversity. Complexity. The scrambled egg analogy and reverse photography "magic" is not mentioned, neither is the suspension of disbelief that is notorious from Hollywood productions mentioned. It is merely assumed as part of the show. I am razzled. I am dazzled. Feed me more. Have I been conditioned to accept the British accent as authoritative? Never-mind. More please.
  • fungi, plants, animals ----> "appear" (nice trick, right?). Dinosaurs. Occasional disasters. Filemarker 12:00 is crossed.
Trippingsubstantialballscomic2-1813_zps83959ca8.png

• Threshhold 6 and filemarker 12¾ Homo Sapiens. DNA "Learns". He said it. We've "seen" it.
  • Filemarker 13: Brains
  • The "gift" of collective learning
  • Human Migration. Learning. Adaptation to environs.
  • 14.5 and 10k years ago (per the story): Farming. Exploitation of energy.
  • 500 years ago, linking through trade. Now - "single global brain of almost 7 billion individuals. That brain is learning at warp speed." Scotty? Beam me up?
David Christian said:
Fossil fuels and collective learning together explain the staggering complexity that we see around us.

He concludes with what I consider an incontrovertible statement, "I hope you agree this is a powerful story, and it's a story in which humans play and astonishing and creative role..."

Yep! I can certainly agree with him on that one. :toofunny

Pretty much, the gist of this video is that at around the approximate time that Young Earth Creationists proclaim that the Earth was created, there is overwhelming evidence that there was already a thriving human population around the globe. Subsequently, this video renders Noah's Flood and the Tower of Babel as mere myths that are nothing more than primitively-minded nonsense.

Any thoughts?

The point you make does not immediately insist that "Noah's Flood and the Tower of Babel as mere myths that are nothing more than primitively-minded nonsense."

Assume that the bible reader has managed to get as far into Gensis as Chapter7, and understood that the bible writers were maintaining a delicate balance between explicitly describing the cosmic unfolding and the earliest audiences reading that Bible.

Realizing that that ancient readers would have to RELATE, intellectually and within the paradigm of the Knowledge of their own day, ... the Bible writers must have been carefully voicing that description so it would CORRESPOND with the facts that would be uncovered by science way in the future that was to come. But still, be basically stated in ways that the ancient reader could relate to.

For instance, Noah's Flood could be recognized as a reference to the massive Out-of-Africa migration of Modern Homo sapiens, in the form of three racial socks, (i.e.; Shem, Japheth, Ham) for that modern reader who had already recognized that the "In the beginning" was equivalent to The Big Bang, and that the seven "days' were actually seven separate geological events that separated the History of the Earth into the seven events described.

Assume that the reader had already recognized that Pangea was the point of "collected all the waters under the heavens into one place," an that, indeed, God had created the Plant Kingdom before animals appeared.

The clue that men could not live 950 year might suggest species was the real meaning of the 22 ancestors in the ascent of Noah and the three racial stocks of his sons, all of which went extinct as was the actually case.

For instance, Noah's Flood could be recognized as a reference to the massive Out-of-Africa migration of Modern Homo sapiens, in the form of three racial socks, (i.e.; Shem, Japheth, Ham) for that modern reader who had already recognized that the "In the beginning" was equivalent to The Big Bang, and that the seven "days' were actually seven separate geological events that separated the History of the Earth into the seven events described.

Neither can be recognized as such because:

1) In science, there are no "racial stocks" and neither does the bible suggest such a things. Also, the out of Africa events have no resemblance to Noah's flood.

2) There were not seven geological events

Assume that the reader had already recognized that Pangea was the point of "collected all the waters under the heavens into one place," an that, indeed, God had created the Plant Kingdom before animals appeared.

The clue that men could not live 950 year might suggest species was the real meaning of the 22 ancestors in the ascent of Noah and the three racial stocks of his sons, all of which went extinct as was the actually case.

Pangea is not a description of waters being collected into one place. Animals came before plants, according to biology

There are not 22 ancestors in Noah's ascent.

Nothing you have said is scientifically based and most of what you have said in regard to scripture is not biblically based.

Any thoughts?

It renders the Fundamentalist position on Genesis wrong.

It requires the comprehensive reader to recognize that the Language Arts that communicate ideas to us must utilize all the Tools of its Trade.
One can easily see that a direct ne-to-one corrspondence exists between the Noah's Ark story and the factual paleontology that describes the ascent if modern man.

To intelligent reader would deduce that the Truth from Science was way more difficult to accept than this fictional metaphor that corresponds directly with the extermination of all species/kinds of ape-men at the same moment when the whole earth became populated by three racial stocks, all genetically affirmed as related to just one man who live 40,000 years ago.

The wise, comprehensive educated and rational reader woul see that the modern Out-of-Africa Theory corresponds directly with whatGenesis reported ti ancient people totally unready for a more direct statement concerning the truth of our own origins.

Back