Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Annihilationism ignores important Scriptures?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Introduction

Recently, I was reading through the latest thread on this matter and was continually seeing the charge that Annihilationism (or as we prefer, Conditional Immortality) ignores important texts from Scripture and that we all need to study more.

I will refute that notion here by addressing the primary texts which we supposedly "ignore."
Argument #1 l Eternal Life and Eternal Punishment

Here is the text most commonly used to attempt to refute our position:
"And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”[1]

The logic goes like this for those of the Traditional view, the word eternal means the same thing both times it is said. The reward lasts forever as does the punishment.

This is something which at no time we have ever denied, and will agree that the punishment endures for an eternity and indeed lasts forever. What this text does not necessarily infer is what the punishment IS, just that it is permanent. In v.41 of the same chapter it describes the nature of the punishment as "eternal fire."

The only instance we have where people are actually punished with eternal fire is Sodom and Gomorrah, as seen here.
"just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding cities, which likewise indulged in sexual immorality and pursued unnatural desire, serve as an example by undergoing a punishment of eternal fire."[2]

Notice that they experienced the punishment of "eternal fire," the very punishment promised to those who reject Christ. This punishment in the case of Sodom and Gomorrah was a complete obliteration, it did not involve any kind of torturing, and whatever suffering they experienced was as a result of that all engulfing flame.

Why should the punishment of eternal fire mean one thing in one instance and a completely different thing in another instance?

Argument #2 l Smoke of Their Torment

Here is the next text:
"And another angel, a third, followed them, saying with a loud voice, “If anyone worships the beast and its image and receives a mark on his forehead or on his hand,he also will drink the wine of God’s wrath, poured full strength into the cup of his anger, and he will be tormented with fire and sulfur in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb. And the smoke of their torment goes up forever and ever, and they have no rest, day or night, these worshipers of the beast and its image, and whoever receives the mark of its name.”[3]

If we simply look at the message at face value we can glean the following.
1. Those who take the mark will experience God's wrath.
2. They will be tormented with fire and sulfur.
3. The smoke of their torment goes up forever and ever.
4. They have not rest day or not.

What this truly does look like upon first inspection, it certainly does seem to support the view of Eternal Conscious Torment. However, with every instance of exegesis it is important for us to recognize the TYPE of literature this is written in. In this case, this is Apocalyptic literature and often employs symbolic and figurative language.

Is there perhaps another instance in Scripture where this exact style is used? Indeed there is:
"And the streams of Edom shall be turned into pitch,
and her soil into sulfur;
her land shall become burning pitch.
Night and day it shall not be quenched;
its smoke shall go up forever.
From generation to generation it shall lie waste;
none shall pass through it forever and ever."
[4]

This is apocalyptic language in the book of Isaiah, where it is describing the destruction of Edom. Now let's do the same exercise here as we did with Revelation, what can we learn at face value.

1. The streams of Edom shall be turned into pitch and soil into sulfur.
2. The land shall become a burning pitch.
3. It will not be quenched, either night or day, it's smoke will go up forever.
4. It shall lie waste and impassable forever.

Now, were any of these things true for Edom? No, today there is a highway that passes through ancient Edom. There is also no smoke continually rising from Edom, nor burning pitch. Neither does it lie waste, and it's streams are of water.

Is this a false prophecy then? Or does it rather demonstrate the foolishness of attempting to try to paint so literally, clearly figurative language. Notice how the same kind of language is employed:

1. Fire and Sulfur are both used.
2. The expression of it continuing night and day is used.
3. The very same phrase of the smoke going up forever and ever is used.

The similarities are apparent, and the fact that it is of the same genre of literature should reveal quite a bit to us. That the expressive and figurative language detailing God's judgement, is meant to convey permanence of destruction rather than conveying the literal interpretation of continuance of judgement. The nation of Edom was destroyed, as will be those who are not in the Lamb's book of life.

Argument #3 l Hell Was a Burning Garbage Dump

Another popular argument is that Jesus' usage of the word "Gehenna" (hell) denoted the fiery imagery of the garbage dump southwest of the city in the Valley of Hinnom. However, there is no evidence for this.

"The traditional explanation that a burning rubbish heap in the Valley of Hinnom south of Jerusalem gave rise to the idea of a fiery Gehenna of judgment is attributed to Rabbi David Kimhi's commentary on Psalm 27:13 (ca. A.D. 1200). He maintained that in this loathsome valley fires were kept burning perpetually to consume the filth and cadavers thrown into it. However, Strack and Billerbeck state that there is neither archeological nor literary evidence in support of this claim, in either the earlier in-tertestamental or the later rabbinic sources."[5]

The word Gehenna, which was a transliteration of the Hebrew word which meant Valley of Hinnom, was a place where children were sacrificed to Moloch. It is later prophesied that it would become known as the "Valley of Slaughter,"[6] and would become the site of the future slaughter of the wicked.[7]

In no ways does this support to the exclusion of other views, the traditional view of Eternal Conscious Torment.

Conclusion

Simply put, the eternal conscious torment view is not only emotionally untenable and an affront to the character and goodness of God. It is also not the best interpretation for these texts, and it is best understood to be representative of the punishment that was promised throughout Scripture. Death and Destruction.

Regards,
DI

[1] Matthew 25:46 (ESV)
[2] Jude 7 (ESV)
[3] Revelation 14:9-11
[4] Isaiah 34:9-10
[5] Hermann L. Strack and Paul Billerbeck, Kommentar zum Neuen Testament aus Talmud and Midrasch, 5 vols.
[6] Jeremiah 19:6
[7] Isaiah 66:24

Last edited:
So, what is your point? Are you saying Annihilationism is a false or true doctrine?

Your conclusion isn't really a conclusion. You kind of leave it open ended as if you want everyone else to come to their own conclusion. Was that your intent?

Your conclusion isn't really a conclusion. You kind of leave it open ended as if you want everyone else to come to their own conclusion. Was that your intent?
Let's read my conclusion real quick to see if that's true.

"Simply put, the eternal conscious torment view is not only emotionally untenable and an affront to the character and goodness of God. It is also not the best interpretation for these texts, and it is best understood to be representative of the punishment that was promised throughout Scripture. Death and Destruction."

In my first sentence I mention that the eternal conscious torment view is 1) emotionally untenable and 2) an affront to the character and goodness of God. Then I also said that it was not the best interpretation for the texts I presented, and said it is more reasonable to believe these texts represent the type of punishment described throughout Scripture, which is Death and Destruction.

What is open ended about that? I really am seriously doubting that you actually read my post right now.

First of all, to say that those that will not be going to heaven will spend eternity in hell is an "affront to the character of God" is unsupported by anything in scripture. Are you suggesting that it goes against God's nature?

Why, as the scriptures you referenced clearly support the opposite of your position?
Again, did you read what I wrote? Saying that something "clearly" supports the opposite of my position, when I have just demonstrated that it doesn't in detail is kind of insulting to my intelligence. I pointed out the error of taking the Revelation passage at face value, and also illustrated how Matthew 25:46 better represents my position based upon the type of punishment being spoken of in that passage.

So, will your argument simply be, "it's clearly obvious that it doesn't support your case," and then provide no evidence? Or would you like to provide a rebuttal for the arguments I have presented?

In the last few months we have had a bunch of threads on HELL.... they tend to end up in personal attacks and very repetitive . Will this be the thread that breaks that stigma? Or will this one also end up in the dead/eternal damnation file..... or infractions issued ?

Not necessarily direct at the last poster.

Where do you prove that souls are not eternal? If souls are not eternal, unless they go to heaven, then where is the punishment for sin?

In the last few months we have had a bunch of threads on HELL.... they tend to end up in personal attacks and very repetitive . Will this be the thread that breaks that stigma? Or will this one also end up in the dead/eternal damnation file..... or infractions issued ?
No personal attacks here, just wanting clarification.

First of all, to say that those that will not be going to heaven will spend eternity in hell is an "affront to the character of God" is unsupported by anything in scripture. Are you suggesting that it goes against God's nature?
Human beings are created in the image of God, and therefore are his special creation. It would be counter to his nature to then torture for all eternity these beings whom he loved so deeply.

Also, it goes counter to the restoration of creation and the cessation of suffering that we see in Revelation. Where death and suffering are no more, but rather in your view there FAR more suffering on that side of the divide than this as billions of people would be actively tortured by God, while he blesses and loves their relatives. No one could possibly happy with the knowledge that people they hold dear are actively tortured for eternity, and what kind of Justice is exacted through torture?

Where in ALL of Scripture does God torture someone in order to express his judgement? He destroys the wicked.

Not necessarily direct at the last poster.
I am hoping to speak about the issues, and was making sure that Knotical had taken the time to properly read what I wrote before offering critique. I had reason to believe, because of his statements that this was possibly not the case. No offense was intended to the individual I was responding to, just hoping to discuss the OP.

Of course God is not please that sin entered the world, but it did, and there must be punishment for it. Again, where is the proof that if someone does not enter heaving their soul will be obliterated? To use the example of Sodom and Gomorrah is folly, as those were earthly places, and those within it had earthly bodies. Where do you think their souls went after the cities, and their bodies, were burned?

Where do you prove that souls are not eternal? If souls are not eternal, unless they go to heaven, then where is the punishment for sin?
Where in Scripture does it say that Souls ARE eternal? Why does the burden of proof lie with me?

Matthew 10:28 clearly states that both Body and Soul are destroyed in Hell. The Greek word for destroyed ἀπολέσαι, is always used by the author to denote a violent destruction of that person's life.

Matthew 2:13 V-ANA
GRK: παιδίον τοῦ ἀπολέσαι αὐτό
NAS: for the Child to destroy Him.

Matthew 10:28 V-ANA
GRK: καὶ σῶμα ἀπολέσαι ἐν γεέννῃ
NAS: Him who is able to destroy both

Mark 1:24 V-ANA
GRK: Ναζαρηνέ ἦλθες ἀπολέσαι ἡμᾶς οἶδά
NAS: Have You come to destroy us? I know

Luke 4:34 V-ANA

Luke 6:9 V-ANA
GRK: σῶσαι ἢ ἀπολέσαι
KJV: life, or to destroy [it]?

Luke 9:56 V-ANA
GRK: ψυχὰς ἀνθρώπων ἀπολέσαι αλλα σῶσαι
KJV: come to destroy men's

Luke 19:47 V-ANA
GRK: ἐζήτουν αὐτὸν ἀπολέσαι καὶ οἱ
NAS: were trying to destroy Him,

James 4:12 V-ANA
GRK: σῶσαι καὶ ἀπολέσαι σὺ δὲ
NAS: to save and to destroy; but who

"Why does the burden of proof lie with me?"

Because you are the one presenting the argument.

Where in Scripture does it say that Souls ARE eternal? Why does the burden of proof lie with me?

Matthew 10:28 clearly states that both Body and Soul are destroyed in Hell. The Greek word for destroyed ἀπολέσαι, is always used by the author to denote a violent destruction of that person's life.

Matthew 2:13 V-ANA
GRK: παιδίον τοῦ ἀπολέσαι αὐτό
NAS: for the Child to destroy Him.

Matthew 10:28 V-ANA
GRK: καὶ σῶμα ἀπολέσαι ἐν γεέννῃ
NAS: Him who is able to destroy both

Mark 1:24 V-ANA

Luke 4:34 V-ANA

Luke 6:9 V-ANA
GRK: σῶσαι ἢ ἀπολέσαι
KJV: life, or to destroy [it]?

Luke 9:56 V-ANA
GRK: ψυχὰς ἀνθρώπων ἀπολέσαι αλλα σῶσαι
KJV: come to destroy men's

Luke 19:47 V-ANA
GRK: ἐζήτουν αὐτὸν ἀπολέσαι καὶ οἱ
NAS: were trying to destroy Him,

James 4:12 V-ANA
GRK: σῶσαι καὶ ἀπολέσαι σὺ δὲ
NAS: to save and to destroy; but who
This all only points to destroying what is here on earth, not what is eternal.

Of course God is not please that sin entered the world, but it did, and there must be punishment for it. Again, where is the proof that if someone does not enter heaving their soul will be obliterated? To use the example of Sodom and Gomorrah is folly, as those were earthly places, and those within it had earthly bodies. Where do you think their souls went after the cities, and their bodies, were burned?
My position does not deny the need for a punishment, however we believe that the wages of sin is death and not eternal torment.

Where would you like to start? Matthew 10:28 is a good representation of the total destruction of one's being, soul and body.

It wasn't my idea to use Sodom and Gomorrah as an example of undergoing eternal fire, it was Jude's. Your problem is with the text, not me. Also, all mankind is raised to a physical resurrection at the final judgement, therefore it is relevant. Also, the Jewish view of the Soul nephesh, in the OT was the description of a living breathing being, your platonistic attribution of the soul to that context is anachronistic.

Back