Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Another Gospel? Is it OK?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Cornelius

We were talking in another thread and this came up. Sensitive issue for sure. Then I started thinking: How much of another gospel are we allowed to have and still be saved?

OK, (Sorry Catholics, but you provide a good example and this is REALLY not targeted at you, I am targeting ALL and EVERYBODY as you will soon see :) ) How far can one go off the Biblical path and add things, like Maryology (spelling LOL ? ) and praying to the saints and believing that the Eucharist is really the very flesh and blood of Jesus.. May you add and add and add . May you add something like Mary being sinless and still get away with it ? How much is too much.

We DO have many gospels.

We have some that believe that we are once saved and always saved. That takes the gospel in a certain light. Then we have others that believe that a Christian can be sinless, IF Jesus steps in as a result of faith and makes it so. These believe they are saints, because of the work of Jesus at the cross. The other believe they are sinners still and quote John and then relax. Some see the "works of Paul" as the "works of James". Others see the "works of Paul" as the works that we must not do to get saved, and see the "works of James" as the "works of faith" that we must do. These two camps never see eye to eye. So one group, if they are wrong, NEVER steps out in the works of faith ! and yet believe that they are correct and secure !

Some say faith is just believing IN God, even though the Bible says faith is also believing God. So that camp walk on one leg and still call it faith. Is that enough? And please don't say the stock answer about "Only believe Jesus died for your sins" because that too is just one camp's saying. These people normally also believe in OSAS and the majority (not all) believe in the pretrib rapture.

Then we have those who say that all the gifts have passed away, even though God says He never changes. But still, they say its all gone. Then we have those who believe the other gospel that says it is still with us ! They even practice what they believe ! You cannot preach those two gospels in the same building ! Impossible !

Some say that we must study to become a minister/pastor. Some say God anoints those like He did with the early disciples. Which is it? Do we believe man or God? One gospel has become modern and PC, the other stays just in what the Bible says: Which one is right?

Some Christians say the Bible is just inspired and not really THE Word of God.Paul's writings are just Paul's writings. Others say, that is the Word of God. Would that make a difference in our salvation if we do not believe the Word is the Word? Is there indeed another rock that we CAN stand on and still be saved? What is the Seed then, that we will choose that must be sown into our hearts? Which Word must then dwell in us richly ? Is there another Word ?

The list goes on and on. :) We are not in agreement as we should. We have been taught by many men, so we have many doctrines. We have left God and His Word out of it for most and our opinions and doctrines weigh heavy and we honor them. We speak as our group speaks. We find comfort in the many . Security in those who calm us with religions niceties . We think: They are my brothers and sisters, my family, they cannot be wrong, just look how they love the Lord.Look, that brother even has a bumper sticker that says " I AM A JESUS FREAK" He cannot be wrong (Can he ? )

C

The bible contains both, the words of God, and it is inspired. But here is the problem, the men who have translated our scriptures are not always men of God. You can be certain that the problem is what we argue about all of the time; and that is, what is correct doctrine?

I don't want to seem offensive in any way here but cutting to the chase if I don't believe as you do then do I follow another gospel?

mdo757 said:
The bible contains both, the words of God, and it is inspired. But here is the problem, the men who have translated our scriptures are not always men of God. You can be certain that the problem is what we argue about all of the time; and that is, what is correct doctrine?

I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but even I have figured out that we are able today to research for ourselves and that there are indeed original manuscripts that people used to translate from. Then, with a little more work I actually found out that there is indeed a body of work available today that was translated by purely using mathematics and no doctrine. Believe it not, it is available even though its (as to be expected ) little known by the majority of Christians. Google Ivan Panin and see where it leads.

More and more "Bibles" are coming out with even more and more modern concepts. Some are just blindly buying and rejoicing , while others stop a while and say " Hey, wait a minute! What exactly do they think they are doing? I am sure God would have left us a way to know EXACTLY what He wrote and meant !"

Rick W said:
I don't want to seem offensive in any way here but cutting to the chase if I don't believe as you do then do I follow another gospel?

I also do not want to be offensive brother. :) Do you believe that if you do not believe the same thing as another that you are believing the same thing ?

Rick W said:
Actually, if you are following what was not truly taught by the disciples and Christ, then yes, you are following another message that was not taught. Ill give everyone a clue: If in any way it has to do with anything Pagan, then it probably was not taught. You figure it out!

Cornelius said:
mdo757 said:

I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but even I have figured out that we are able today to research for ourselves and that there are indeed original manuscripts that people used to translate from. Then, with a little more work I actually found out that there is indeed a body of work available today that was translated by purely using mathematics and no doctrine. Believe it not, it is available even though its (as to be expected ) little known by the majority of Christians. Google Ivan Panin and see where it leads.

More and more "Bibles" are coming out with even more and more modern concepts. Some are just blindly buying and rejoicing , while others stop a while and say " Hey, wait a minute! What exactly do they think they are doing? I am sure God would have left us a way to know EXACTLY what He wrote and meant !"
I have done a great deal of studying, and I find that version also flawed. Getting at the truth is a great deal of work, but not impossible.

Cornelius said:
I also do not want to be offensive brother. :) Do you believe that if you do not believe the same thing as another that you are believing the same thing ?

Another Gospel? Is it OK?

Of course not.

I believe Christ will judge for sure. To that end I'll not judge another to hell or get bent out of shape because one believes something I don't. Nor will I stand toe-to-toe with someone to get in the last word or strive to win a debate. I'll walk away after saying my peace.
Present the evidence as you believe and after all is said there's really not much else one can do besides rest in the knowledge that in the end it'll be up to our Lord and Savior. In that I take comfort not because I feel they will be punished but rather I will get my due whatever that may be. And that's good enough for me.

You know another side of the story is that because men have taught and passed down doctrine doesn't necessarily make them wrong either. Why is some new interpretation necessarily better? We interpret the Bible and that is why there is disagreement on issues, but I can be happy to have fellowship with others in the church universal by finding that we believe the core truths of the gospel. Someone tried in another thread to list "5 things to agree on" and I thought most would agree, but some did not on a few issues.

I try to learn from God's word but I pray for humility because I know that I don't have it all figured out. I do my best and some will agree with what I believe, others won't. The disciples didn't even really get it. I have a hunch that in the end we'll all be off base on many issues, so I try to keep it simple.

Cornelius said:
mdo757 said:

Your confidence in mathematics is astounding.

Regarding Panin have a look at this http://www.moresureword.com/panin.htm

Cannot God who is perfect preserve HIS WORD and HIS doctrine in perfect condition?

Dude named Louis said:
You know another side of the story is that because men have taught and passed down doctrine doesn't necessarily make them wrong either. Why is some new interpretation necessarily better? We interpret the Bible and that is why there is disagreement on issues, but I can be happy to have fellowship with others in the church universal by finding that we believe the core truths of the gospel. Someone tried in another thread to list "5 things to agree on" and I thought most would agree, but some did not on a few issues.

I try to learn from God's word but I pray for humility because I know that I don't have it all figured out. I do my best and some will agree with what I believe, others won't. The disciples didn't even really get it. I have a hunch that in the end we'll all be off base on many issues, so I try to keep it simple.
You make it sound as if the truth is to difficult to find, so why even try. By the way, the disciples were bewildered at first, but they did figure it out. Finding a guilty party is not a problem, you just have to figure out who added what to the disciples writings. And that will also tell you who also left out what to complete the truth.

mdo757 said:
Dude named Louis said:

You make it sound as if the truth is to difficult to find, so why even try. By the way, the disciples were bewildered at first, but they did figure it out. Finding a guilty party is not a problem, you just have to figure out who added what to the disciples writings. And that will also tell you who also left out what to complete the truth.

I do try and continue to seek truth and to worship in spirit and truth. I just don't get all twisted up about minutia and don't see the point debating stuff all the time when there is so much in scripture that is clear enough to give me direction. I am saved to serve. You say the the truth is easy to find, yet on virtually every theological thread here people get bent out of shape. That's cool if that is what one feels called to do. I'm happy to keep it simple. Love the Lord, love my neighbor.

the gospel is simple its men that add to it. The Law was very simple the pharisees made iteven more impossible to adhere to as they added so much to it. The Law that in its orginal form was already difficult to follow under our own power.

I don't know...I've been all across this United States and I always seem to find fellow believers who believe just like I do. I find them in the laundromats, in the library, in the post office, in the neighborhood. I don't even find them in churches, so please don't be constantly talking about who does the false teaching. We love the same Lord and I've found a common Spirit and a common belief in all the basics of the Bible. I've prayed side by side with a sister that broke out in tongues. Did I judge her? No. We each walk in the light we're given. Does it bother me if some brother says the Hail Mary? No. That's between him and God. Sometimes, I think when we claim we're not judging...that's exactly what we are doing.

Why look at differences as though we love a different Lord, or we have another Gospel. There is only one Gospel and that is the Lord Jesus Christ. Now, I'll admit, these internet forums bring out stuff I've never heard of. What I see is a bunch of children trying to find their way. Does that make them my enemy? It's flat out nitpicking instead of seeking common ground. It causes division in the body....list out all the differences and harp on them. Seek to change what the Holy Spirit has shown someone by insisting you're the one with the right message. Put everyone is a separate little group...fighting amongst ourselves sure brings God the glory, doesn't it?

The Word speaks for itself. When I see something that disagrees with the Word, I'm called to post a verse that speaks the truth. It will either convict the heart or not. When I see someone claiming Jesus was no more than a man, I tend to get defensive for Him. That's my flesh...no doubt. Our great God doesn't need any defense. I have problems with the trinity...I don't see God as three separate persons the way some do. I see one God manifested in three ways. Does that make me wrong...or right? No, it means we're all puny little humans trying to figure out our Creator.

I think this whole thread is divisive. We're not seeking the truth here...we're seeking to divide the body and promote discension. Call those OSAS people heretics...or those that don't believe in supernatural healings people of little faith. Personally, I'd rather sit around with the guy in the library and talk about what the Lord's been doing in our lives. When man gets to thinking too highly of his own understanding...this is what happens. :shame

Interesting :) I just woke up and read what you all wrote when I was sleeping.

It seems most do not think we can possibly even have another gospel.For many it is a sensitive issue and some think that we must not judge and just leave it alone. Are these attitudes really taught in the Bible?

Paul first of all teaches about another Gospel:

2Co 11:2 For I am jealous over you with a godly jealousy: for I espoused you to one husband, that I might present you as a pure virgin to Christ.
2Co 11:3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve in his craftiness, your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity and the purity that is toward Christ.
2Co 11:4 For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we did not preach, or if ye receive a different spirit, which ye did not receive, or a different gospel, which ye did not accept, ye do well to bear with him.

So we see that when we LOVE the brethren we are JEALOUS over them with a godly jealousy. We want to guard them and keep them safe . We want to look after their beliefs and make sure that indeed they have the true Gospel. We also see that it is possible to indeed preach Jesus , but it is another Jesus.It will sound religious and it might even sound correct and Godly , because Paul finds it necessary to issue this warning. He is genuinely concerned for the believers.

Gal 1:6 I marvel that ye are so quickly removing from him that called you in the grace of Christ unto a different gospel;
Gal 1:7 which is not another gospel only there are some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.

So here Paul is speaking about a different gospel, that is not another gospel, just a perversion of the gospel of Christ. I personally think we have been infiltrated by this version.

perverted [p??v??t?d]
adj
1. deviating greatly from what is regarded as normal or right; distorted

2. incorrectly interpreted.

We have to be blind to think that all denomination and/or Christians have just the simple truth that their gospel cannot possible be perverted as in : distorted, deviating from the original.

How come we are so trusting in the people that came before us? Paul was not willing to just accept that people will not distort the gospel. In fact he had just finished preaching to the Galatians, when they turned around and left the gospel of grace for works. Why can it not happen to us? If we are to love each other, why is it wrong to speak about this now . Why is it divisive , when the goal is unity in belief?

Gal 1:8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, should preach unto you any gospel other than that which we preached unto you, let him be anathema.
Gal 1:9 As we have said before, so say I now again, if any man preacheth unto you any gospel other than that which ye received, let him be anathema.
Gal 1:10 For am I now seeking the favor of men, or of God? or am I striving to please men? if I were still pleasing men, I should not be a servant of Christ.
Serious words from Paul . Heavy stuff. Yet we think its not happening and it certainly cannot happen to any of us, because ......................(fill in your own reason)

By the way I find it interesting that people think we have to interpret the whole Bible.I think most of our problems come just from this way of thinking. We seem to think that we have the right to interpret things like " Turn the other cheek". We normally interpret in a way that makes it useless. Same with women shall not teach in the church. Well, there again, we think we are allowed and even expected to "interpret" . We even think it good to move those words into our "modern" way of thinking, adjusting them with the times. We search and search until we can make is so, that the Bible will give in and allow women to teach. We do not give up, until we have found a "teacher" that will back us up against the simple instruction.

We ADD to the Word with no fear whatsoever . Thou shalt not kill has become "Yes I agree, but killing for my country is OK. They killed in the Old Testament , even David went to war. He was a man of God" Uhhh OK then, I guess that means you can kill brother.

We have lost our footing on the Rock, because we are all so free to "interpret" The Holy Spirit said so and the Holy Spirit said thus. But the Holy Spirit actually never goes against His own Word. A lady told me the other day the "Holy Spirit" told her Paul was immature when he wrote about women not teaching.

We HAVE to look at these things. Is this what God WANTS from us?

The beloved Lord’s answer to “Where thou feedest [thy flock]?†was (S.of Sol.1:8) If thou know not, O thou fairest among women, Go thy way forth by the footsteps of the flock, And feed thy kids beside the shepherds’ tents. In Jesus’ day it was not possible to feed His Church, meaning “called-out ones,†in the apostate sects of Judaism, so He fed them “beside the shepherds’ tents.†Likewise, because the Church has greatly apostatized in our day, Jesus is feeding the flock of freedom, rest, and truth, outside the shepherds’ tents. This brought reproach to the bride and Jesus. (6)…My mother's sons were incensed against me…. Those who take up their cross to follow Jesus are commanded to accept this same reproach. (Heb.13:11) For the bodies of those beasts whose blood is brought into the holy place by the high priest [as an offering] for sin, are burned without the camp. (12) Wherefore Jesus also, that he might sanctify the people through his own blood, suffered without the gate. (13) Let us therefore go forth unto him without the camp, bearing his reproach.

http://www.unleavenedbreadministries.org/?page=sg21

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back