Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Anyone read books by John Shelby Spong?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
This book sounds like a good read for the liberals and a joke read for the orthodox.

Here is one of many reviews of this book by individuals who have read it:

But then what would one expect from the Episcopal "Church." This book is just another tome in a sequence of pro liberal social justice, anti-orthodox Christainity diatribes. Mr. Spong is the darling of the liberal elite, who like to cloak their worldly utopian visions in the respectabilty of a church. Only thing is, that God and that pesky Bible get in the way. After all, as with all liberals, THEY KNOW BEST. Their typical MO is to villify anything contrary to their vision as "hate;" and here the "bishop-in-name-only" takes this concept to new heights.

"Objective" reviews concerning any book related to values, ideology and faith are impossible. Bottom line -

You'll love this book if:
- You are pro abortion
- Don't believe in God but somehow would like to validate your
morals/values
- Think all of the world's evils are the fault of Christians and
"the West"
- Are a feminist
- Are pro gay marriage
- Don't like being "convicted" by what the Bible teaches
- Like your religion to be affirming as opposed to re-creating

You'll hate this book if:
- You have a pious/reverent approach to Christianity
- Have faith in a supernatural, consubstantial, eternal Holy
Trinity
- Believe Jesus was made man, crucified, died, and was
physically resurrected
- Take the Nicene Creed seriously
- Beleive there are moral absolutes

And another:

RESCUING THE BIBLE FROM BISHOP SPONG, January 1, 2006

Well the old Bishop has struck again. This time he has donned his collar and priestly vestments, whipped out his pen and returned with a new volume to set us straight about the alleged errancy of Scripture. While he does make the odd point here and
there that shows some erudition, most of his writing shows ignorance towards understanding the Scriptures. He does not grasp the overall picture. Back to hermeneutics 101 for him.

Yes, there is a lot of violence and blood shed in the Old Testament, occasionally at God's instigation. And understandably, a person may get the wrong idea about it.
Including a few Christians who through the years may have taken these Scriptures out of context to justify questionable motives and excuse bad behavior. If Bishop Spong is looking at things from that point of view, then he should put the blame where it belongs - on those who have abused and misused God's word to justify their own misdeeds.

The reason there is a lot of blood shed in the Old Testament is because from sin comes death. And without the shedding of blood there is no remission of sins. Put another way, there was a lot of wicked and detestable human behavior in the lives of some of the people and cultures living in Old Testament times. A Righteous and Holy God who is the holder and owner of this life demanded His revenge and His justice. He could not stand idly by and let this wicked behavior go unpunished. God wanted His
revenge and He took it - sometimes through the Israelites acting as His instruments. Sometimes acting on His own.

When Christ or God incarnate came to the earth, died on the cross and resurrected from the dead as traditional Christianity asserts, a new covenant was born. God had made a new deal with believing humanity. The sins of the world past, present and
future and the punishment for them was placed on Jesus. This vicarious substitute had assuaged the wrath of God. No longer would God deal as harshly with people as He had in the Old Testament or as he had prescribed in His Law, (the Torah). God would now deal with the world, particularly with those having faith in Christ, under the banner of Grace - unmerited favor. And this is why Christian societies as a rule don't stone
others and people are not sentenced to death by Church tribunals for their infractions against God. (The abuses of the Spanish Inquisition and the like not withstanding. Such tragic and inexcusable events in Christian history must also be taken in their context -as severe aberrations of Jesus' teachings and the Christian principles they invoke.)

Conversely, a faith in Jesus Christ is not a license for idiocy either as Spong clearly implies. Because those who trust in Him for their salvation also take on his life and nature that is not based on hatred but love. Spong seems to understand none of this! Instead he takes a simplistic, contemptuous and imbalanced look at the Holy Bible. I'd prefer an exegete who can give us a contextual and balanced overview.

As for some of his other bizarre Biblical exegesis...

Just because St. Paul was not married and had issues with homosexuality does not provide plausible evidence that he himself was a closeted gay man. Christ died for gay and straight people alike and God's Grace extends to both!

As for Jesus being married to Mary Magdalene, this is old unsubstantiated nonsense, peddled by the likes of Hugh Schonfield in "After the Cross"; Michael Baigent, Richard
Leigh and Henry Lincoln in "Holy Blood, Holy Grail", and Dan Brown in "The da Vinci Code". It appears that they in turn based their allegations on things implied in the pseudographia of "The Gospel of Thomas" and on a hoax perpetrated by the Priory of
Sion. These false allegations alter Jesus' role as Supernatural bridegroom of the Christian Church to human husband of Mary Magdalene.

Bishop Spong again denies the literal Resurrection of Jesus Christ. Without the literal physical and spiritual resurrection of Jesus, we have no Christianity. (I Corinthians 15).
That is the central tenant and foundation of Christian faith and without it Christianity is not existent.

The cleric's assertions that the Bible somehow advocates or excuses slavery, sexism and racism is also bizarre. Slavery is implicitly and explicitly condemned in both the Old
Testament and the New. (Isaiah 61:1; I Corinthians7:23;
I Timothy 1:9-11) The lines of gender, race and ethnicity are obscured in Christ so that everyone is regarded as intrinsically equal before God. (Galatians 3:27-28); And women are to be given a place of honor in a Christian home. (Ephesians 5:25-29 ) How Spong arrives at his assertions is beyond me.

Spong's denial of theism is also bizarre. One of the things that distinguishes the dry or dessert religions of the Middle East, like Judaism and Christianity from the wet religions
of the East is the belief in a Personal, Transcendent and Theistic God who can be petitioned by His people to intervene on their behalf. That is the God of the Bible. Pantheism, Deism and Polytheism have absolutely no basis in the Holy Bible, neither in
the Old Testament or in the New.

While it is true that some people throughout history have unfortunately used the Holy Bible to justify questionable behavior, the fault lies in us, in our human nature, not in
God's Inspired Word. Bishop Spong is out to save us from the sins of Scripture. Golly Gee thanks. A better question is who will save us from him and his likes whose pens and sloppy scholarship are looking to mislead us?

The Bible deserves better than Bishop Spong's misinterpretation of it! For a more scholarly presentation of Christianity from an astute thinker and bishop with better insights, I recommend, "The Orthodox Way" By: Bishop Kallistos Ware. And
"Mere Christianity" by the legendary, C. S. Lewis.

And another...

Not For True Christians, November 7, 2005

I'm sorry I purchased this book and wasted my money as well as the limited amount of time I spent reading it...no, I didn't finish it, I didn't have to. The author starts out saying that the last thing he wanted to do was write a book that would essentially come across as a Bible-bashing book then proceeds to betray his own promise.

From the first few pages it becomes obvious that the author has a bone to pick with Christianity in general and the Church and the Bible in particular. Though he professes to be a life long scholarly student of the Bible his words leap off the page full of anger and contempt for the Bible itself as well as those who "foolishly" believe in its contents.

It became immediately apparent that the author's intent was to offend and outrage because he himself is offended and outraged. Coming from one of the minorities who has personally suffered from misuse of Scripture I did not take the author's stance of blaming the source for those who abused it. And while the author is certainly entitled to his personal beliefs and opinons as an author claiming to approach the subject matter from a learned stance instead I felt tricked into buying a book that is nothing more than a personal soapbox. Vehement, angry, and full of personal resentment gives the real overview and flavor of the author's approach to the subject matter.

If you're looking for an angry outpouring against the Bible and Christians you'll be satisfied, if you're seriously looking for an intelligent treatment of the texts in question you'll be sadly disappointed.

And again.....

worst book I've ever read, October 4, 2005

This is absolutely the worst book I've ever read. I don't mind reading about other people's point of view as long it is well thought out and has substance. This book has none. I agree the the scipture has often been taken out of context and misunderstood. "Bishop" Spong goes way overboard and attacks the scripture itself. Instead of focusing on how the scripture has been misintrepeted, he calls the Bible a myth because it has passages that does not support his world view. He claims to be revealing the God of Love in this book but makes no attempt the hide the hatred he has for conservative Christians. He basicly makes the claim that he know more about God and what is right than St.Paul. How arrogant can one get? I am surprise he even calls himself a Christian because he obviously isn't one. He doesn't believe in the validity of the scripture, the virgin birth, and the resurrection. If you don't believe those facts, you are not a Christian, period. To me, presenting your self as a Christian when you are not is just plain dishonestly. Surly he must be one of the false teachers the Bible warned us about. I have read a lot of bad books, but this one definately is the worst of them all. Not a book for true Christian, more of a book for those who think they are Christians but doesn't want to give up the sinful ways of the world.

Another review who's review is much like mine.....

I havn't read a word from this book. But still can safely see from the author's claims of a "Married Jesus" and a "Gay Paul"
that this is a book based less on Facts and more on speculation.

Soma-Sight said:
The Sins of Scripture : Exposing the Bible's Texts of Hate to Reveal the God of Love (Hardcover)

This is a very good book for people quesioning the validity of the modern day fundamentalist regime as it relates to the Word of God.

Anyone hear of this guy or this book?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/006076 ... oding=UTF8

I have in my possession a 45/50 minute video tape recorded from the ABC (Australian Broadcasting Commission) program 'Compass' a few years ago. John Shelby Spong was the featured guest in a forum-type setting. While I may not agree with everything he says, I find his 'brand of Christianity' to be most uplifting. I like the man.

By the way, I'm not saying whether I agree with him or not but JSS suspects that Paul might well have been a celebant homosexual. Oh dear ...please don't shoot me. I'm only the messenger.

Solo,

For someone who has not read the book.....

You seem very "firm" in your convictions!

Maybe try reading it for YOURSELF and then judge the merits thereof!

[/b]

SputnikBoy said:
Soma-Sight said:
The Sins of Scripture : Exposing the Bible's Texts of Hate to Reveal the God of Love (Hardcover)

This is a very good book for people quesioning the validity of the modern day fundamentalist regime as it relates to the Word of God.

I have in my possession a 45/50 minute video tape recorded from the ABC (Australian Broadcasting Commission) program 'Compass' a few years ago. John Shelby Spong was the featured guest in a forum-type setting. While I may not agree with everything he says, I find his 'brand of Christianity' to be most uplifting. I like the man.

By the way, I'm not saying whether I agree with him or not but JSS suspects that Paul might well have been a celebant homosexual. Oh dear ...please don't shoot me. I'm only the messenger.
Sputnik,
Your false witness continues to grow and your ignorance flourishes.

Would you read the articles from the links I provided and then tell me what you think?

Probably not I reckon.

:)

Solo said:
SputnikBoy said:
Soma-Sight said:

Sputnik,

I'm my own man, Solo. And, hey, guess what? . . .God made me in His own image.

SputnikBoy said:
Solo said:
SputnikBoy said:
Soma-Sight said:

Sputnik,

I'm my own man, Solo. And, hey, guess what? . . .God made me in His own image.
I am not my own man, Sput. I was bought with a price. I guess that is our difference. Adam and Eve were created in God's image, and after they fell the rest of us came along. What is the difference between Adolf Hitler and the Apostle Paul. Paul was born again and Adolf Hitler was not.

I have a book called "Can a Bishop be wrong?". I would have to go home to tell you the author but it is about Shelby Spong.

I receive weekly emails with Spong answering peoples' questions. I can soundly say that he is a heretic of the worst sort.

Gary said:
Hey Gary! 8-)

I'm from New Jersey. He was Bishop in Newark, NJ. I am almost ashamed to admit that.

Soma and Sputnik, please do some more investigative research on this man. His "brand" of Christianity is "Anti". It's anti-christ-like and anti-Biblical. With his style of Christianity seeping into the whole of Christianity, it won't be long before apostasy is so obvious in the churches... that is unless you are deaf, dumb and blind.

Sorry if I have offended anyone but... you hit a sore spot with me when I see this man and his "heady" type of teaching being condomed. :o

"... having itching ears..."

Solo said:
Hey Vic,
You better be careful, you'll be flagged as a fundy! :biggrin :biggrin
If we be talking about fundamental, as in the basics or rudimentary, I'm there.

If we are talking about Phelps-like fundamentalism... :o :o

Back