Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

are vitamins safe?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I mean, do you even get what's on the label? Are there safe guards, testing in place? I ask because I take LOTS of supplements, and it just dawned on me...am I even getting what I think I am?

Any supplement fans out there have answers?

You should not take mega dose of vitamins with consulting with your physician.You should only take one multi-vitamin a day.It would be hard to overdose with that.A nutritionist once told me a way to tell if your vitamin is doing any good.Put the vitamin in a glass of warm water.It should not dissolve before 1/2 hour.If it dissolves too fast it is not doing you any good, your body is not absorbing it.It is always wise to look for any side effects of any herbs you are taking or ask your physican about it.My oldest daughter was was taking an herb.I forgot which one it was.She had gone into her doctor for a physical.Her blood work was way off.They thought for awhile that she had leukemia.They found out what she was taking and she stopped and her bloodwork came out fine.

I mean, do you even get what's on the label? Are there safe guards, testing in place? I ask because I take LOTS of supplements, and it just dawned on me...am I even getting what I think I am?

Believe It Or Not :>>>>> it's not even LEGAL TO TELL YOU HOW SAFE VITAMINS ARE !!!!!!!! (they're very very safe, when used with normal common sense, which isn't normal nor common any more !!!!)

the drug companies have befuddled everyone -

so, anyway, (just edited out several paragraphs btw)
vitamins are safer than any drug.
when the natural supplements effect a blood test, it is usually the test that is faulty.
as with anything,
including W A T E R , problems can arise from not understanding what's going on.

Last edited by a moderator:
how would a laymen know that the test is faulty? people have died from some suppliments being taken in over doses. gotu kola is a blood thinner. I wouldn't give a person with low levels of blood coagulant that unless a ohysician has cleared that for them.

we learn the hard way. (see the thread "Seven Years" ) ..... test everything - don't trust men. we trusted God all along the way, and He brought us safely through, though with a lot of persecution along the way also(as is required according to God's Word).
more people have died from taking medicine than almost any other cause of death. (look it up if you care).
the number of deaths from supplements is pounced on by the drug lords asap to try to get supplements out of the competition with their PROFITS %$%%$%%%$%%%$ ..........
compare 10 deaths with 500,000 deaths, and what do you get ? ripley's truth. (truth is stranger than fiction) (and people love fiction MORE than truth)
honestly, the more you look into it, the more astonished you will be. (at what the american people have put up with, willingly and unwittingly also.) . (and the whole world ---- we have it 'cushy' here!!!! (but some remote tribes have it a lot healthier than we do, and even many 3rd world countries may) ) we are made sick on purpose, and this nation is cursed because of the leaders motives and greed.(and multitudes that go along with it)

Agree Kathi. There is no use in taking more vitamins than what your body needs on every single day. Overdosing is useless in most cases and harmful in some.
If you want to get a good dose of vitamins you are probably better off eating more fruits and veggies than taking supplements.

You should not take mega dose of vitamins with consulting with your physician.You should only take one multi-vitamin a day.It would be hard to overdose with that.A nutritionist once told me a way to tell if your vitamin is doing any good.Put the vitamin in a glass of warm water.It should not dissolve before 1/2 hour.If it dissolves too fast it is not doing you any good, your body is not absorbing it.It is always wise to look for any side effects of any herbs you are taking or ask your physican about it.My oldest daughter was was taking an herb.I forgot which one it was.She had gone into her doctor for a physical.Her blood work was way off.They thought for awhile that she had leukemia.They found out what she was taking and she stopped and her bloodwork came out fine.

Learn something new every day. The flip side of this is do not take the super compressed powdered tablets, like Thera-gran M. They will pass through the body without dissolving. From what I understand liqued vitamins are the best and loose powdered capsules next. Aside from real veggies and fruits as Claudya said.

Agree Kathi. There is no use in taking more vitamins than what your body needs on every single day. Overdosing is useless in most cases and harmful in some.
If you want to get a good dose of vitamins you are probably better off eating more fruits and veggies than taking supplements.
I agree.A well balanced diet everyday is always the better choice.

Lets see what the word of God has to say about this.

Whatever is good and perfect comes down to us from God our Father, who created all the lights in the heavens. He never changes or casts a shifting shadow. James 1:17 NLT

All to the Glory of God
23 All things are lawful for me,[c] but not all things are helpful; all things are lawful for me,[d] but not all things edify. 24 Let no one seek his own, but each one the other’s well-being.

25 Eat whatever is sold in the meat market, asking no questions for conscience’ sake; 26 for “the earth is the Lord’s, and all its fullness.”[e] 1 Corinthians 10:23-26 NKJV

Yeshua said "do not tempt the Lord God" and
"whoever goes on sinning willingly, after receiving knowledge of truth, there no longer remains sacrifice for their sin" and
a simple fact known to all Jews worldwide -
no Jew sells any kind nor type of pork in the meat market to other Jews. to them, it is not even called 'food'. so they never ever considered it a possibility, and would not even let it touch their lips. Neither would any of the righteous by faith gentiles who were 'grafted in' --- they were seen and called righteous because they obeyed Yhwh just as the righteous Jews did/do.

later, sinful and unrepentant gentiles changed things to get power over others and to make money. (way way long before our great great great grandparents were ever born. so, things have been sinful in the world, and in the churches who departed from the cross, for a long long long long long time.

Luke 4:12
James 1:13
Hebrews 10
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Hebrews 10&version=AMP
Romans 11
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=romans 11&version=AMP
17 But if some of the branches were broken off, while you, a wild olive shoot, were grafted in among them to share the richness [of the root and sap] of the olive tree,
18 Do not boast over the branches and pride yourself at their expense. If you do boast and feel superior, remember it is not you that support the root, but the root [that supports] you.
19 You will say then, Branches were broken (pruned) off so that I might be grafted in!
20 That is true. But they were broken (pruned) off because of their unbelief (their lack of real faith), and you are established through faith [because you do believe]. So do not become proud and conceited, but rather stand in awe and be reverently afraid.
21 For if God did not spare the natural branches [because of unbelief], neither will He spare you [if you are guilty of the same offense].
22 Then note and appreciate the gracious kindness and the severity of God: severity toward those who have fallen, but God’s gracious kindness to you—provided you continue in His grace and abide in His kindness; otherwise you too will be cut off (pruned away).

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'll keep doing Orthomolecular. There's a small, observational studies from the late 60s into the early 80s that showed that Orthomolecular (they used a simplified version) significantly reduced the risk of tardive dyskinesia. That's a big deal, considering they were using lots of the older drugs at high doses, which carries a high risk of TD. The new drugs apparently were originally thought to be significantly lower risk for TD, but now...not so much. They've been on the market for a while and TD is still happening fairly regularly after long term use, so...wow. The atypical have largely been a bust :-(

Anyway...I guess I'll just stick with vitacost and maybe simplify my line up. Here's hoping :)

Good for you. Orthomolecular, properly used, has had results when nothing was thought to be possible even. (from reading years and years ago - still want to 'study' it , Yhwh willing, when there's time.... maybe this year ! :) )

And it is in line with God's Way, with natural way the body works and heals itself, instead of just tackling symptoms.

No offence, but this advice is as establishment as it gets. Of course a physician will always say to his or her patients NOT to take vitamins as we get everything in a "well balanced diet". There is no such thing any longer. If you don't believe me, look up the Monsanto controversy and all the food stuff they are into. Even many vitamins fall into such categories.

Most average multi's will pass thru a person. Like the septic cleaning guy one asked his customer what all those pill-like things were doing down there? To the customer's shock, they were his multi's he been taking for years, and I would not be surprised if doctors even told him that "vitamins do no good because he already takes them with no improvements! -- so now take drugs!" :confused2 :rolleyes I don't know of anyone personally who OD'ed on vitamins, but on drugs, yeah. I knew far more lacking in vitamins and minerals.

As for herbs, unless they're popular, doctors probably know less than what you do about them. Instead of "asking" why not take charge and do your own research (both pros and cons and weigh the evidence)? Certainly if you notice any new side effects an association can be made, and then you can quit them. One has to pay attention, and understand cause and effect, not forgetting the reasons why some of this happens.

About 95% of vitamins today are chemically modified and actually do more harm than good. Rather than actually actually putting vitamin A, C, etc.. into a pill, a lot of pharmaceutical companies will modify petroleum or coal tar to make their chemical structure identical to whatever vitamin they are wanting to sell and then they will claim that it is indeed that vitamin because it has the same chemical structure. If your vitamins are synthetic then you can cook them in the oven and watch the petroleum ooze out of them. These same companies performed studies to prove that their vitamins improve health the same way the actual vitamin would be most of these studies have had to be disbanded because the people taking the vitamins ended up more serious health risks than those not taking the vitamins at all. One example is a study performed with synthetic Vitamin A on 30,000 patients revealed that the synthetic vitamin A yielded a 8% higher incidence of fatal heart attacks, strokes, and lung cancer when compared to the sugar pill used as a placebo. Unfortunately, the pharmaceutical companies had already spent so much money on testing etc.. to come up with their synthetic vitamins and so they found a way to get their product to the market anyways.

okay, to put it simply --- there are a lot of vitamins naturally occurring and used and useful in the body to grow and live and breath and grow and heal and 'run things' (metabolism, digestion, nervous system, heart, lungs, kidneys, etc).

so, the God-made natural vitamins discovered in the body, in plants, etc, are good (almost ALL the time, if not all the time).

man corrupts almost everything he touches. (except for God's grace protects/controls things in spite of man and demons).

some vitamins made by man are very very good.
some are just good.
some are not good, possible. (but still better than the 'safest' drug). (so it's like a matter of comparison/safety balance).

so, test everything. just like with new foods or strange foods. take if any only a little after checking it out with someone with experiential knowledge of it as well as head knowledge. step by step. test test test.

if people did this, they would discover like the whole town of marshal , texas, that the right vitamins/diet can ... well --- read it for yourself >>> it's been nationwide news for quite a while now.

http://vegnews.com/articles/page.do?pageId=5368&catId=5

and, actually, the truth about how necessary vitamins are and how they both prevent and reverse troubles in the body has been known longer that modern 'drugs' have been around. but the money is in drugs. so what'da hear about ? drugs. why ? money. what's best? God's Way.

Too much vitamin C and calcium can cause kidney stones.
Men should take an iron free multivitamin.
Men over 50 should not take flax seed oil. They should switch to Fish oil.

Question:
Why would you guys take vitamin supplements anyway, rather than just eating the stuff that contains the vitamins and minerals you need? Unless you have an acute shortage of some vitamin or a medical condition that can lead to a lack of certain vitamins there is no need for supplementation if you just eat healthy and live healthy (that is, live in a way that is close to how we were intented to live, e.g. good nutrition, enough sleep, exercise or physical work, spending time outside, and so on).

Question:
Why would you guys take vitamin supplements anyway, rather than just eating the stuff that contains the vitamins and minerals you need? Unless you have an acute shortage of some vitamin or a medical condition that can lead to a lack of certain vitamins there is no need for supplementation if you just eat healthy and live healthy (that is, live in a way that is close to how we were intented to live, e.g. good nutrition, enough sleep, exercise or physical work, spending time outside, and so on).
I do not think most people eat as they should and get all the vitamins and minerals they need every day.Some might but many I have talked with say they don't.That is why they need a daily multi vitamin.It keeps up their resistance and immunity so they don't get sick as often.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back