Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Are you for or against the death penalty?

Are you for or against the death penalty?

• Total voters

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I think a lot of folks that are anti DP are so because they have difficulty reconsiling forgiveness with still carrying out a servere punishment. I believe that since life is so precious and it is not ours to give or take away without God's blessing that we are to use the DP to exemplify how holy and sacred life is by requiring those who would willfully and purposely take the life of another to pay for that crime against human life with their life.

I think a lot of folks that are anti DP are so because they have difficulty reconsiling forgiveness with still carrying out a servere punishment. I believe that since life is so precious and it is not ours to give or take away without God's blessing that we are to use the DP to exemplify how holy and sacred life is by requiring those who would willfully and purposely take the life of another to pay for that crime against human life with their life.
Forgiveness is also compassion and mercy IMO. Example: a mother has her son or daughter killed by someone and that someone also has a mother who pleads the court to have mercy on her son or daughter and not give them the death penalty. The mother of the victim then having been through the pain of losing a child feels mercy for the mother of the suspect and therefore pleads for his life. Just something to think about.:waving

Forgiveness is also compassion and mercy IMO. Example: a mother has her son or daughter killed by someone and that someone also has a mother who pleads the court to have mercy on her son or daughter and not give them the death penalty. The mother of the victim then having been through the pain of losing a child feels mercy for the mother of the suspect and therefore pleads for his life. Just something to think about.:waving

In this case, the person or people who have been given the authority to decide the fate of the murderer can choose to uphold the penalty dictated by law (death) or could choose to display mercy on the murderer. It's their decision to make and neither decision would be either right or wrong.

For those who are advocating mercy with forgiveness in opposition to carrying out the DP, why is it that you do not seem to advocate freeing the convicted criminal totally? Not doing so is only advocating partial mercy as the criminal would be given a penalty nonetheless. If the person's "debt" has been forgiven by society, LET EM' GO and hold nothing against them, but if the reality is that that is not the case, then let the punishment fit the crime.

In this case, the person or people who have been given the authority to decide the fate of the murderer can choose to uphold the penalty dictated by law (death) or could choose to display mercy on the murderer. It's their decision to make and neither decision would be either right or wrong.

For those who are advocating mercy with forgiveness in opposition to carrying out the DP, why is it that you do not seem to advocate freeing the convicted criminal totally? Not doing so is only advocating partial mercy as the criminal would be given a penalty nonetheless. If the person's "debt" has been forgiven by society, LET EM' GO and hold nothing against them, but if the reality is that that is not the case, then let the punishment fit the crime.
I see your point but I feel that life in prison is reasonable and just. Too many innocent people on death row even 1 is too many IMO and how many stories have we heard of blessed DNA proving a man to be innocent. I still think death is for the father to decide when he deems it and I see no reason to give a cold blooded murderer parole.

However, when there is a case, as in the case of Joseph Duncan, where it is clear to all that he did such a terrible crime...no doubt whatsoever (and in this case since he was evil enough to videotape himself torturing and killing a 9 year old boy and raping an 8 year old girl, so there is no doubt) then I don't have a problem putting him to death. I hope he repents before being put to death...but even if he does, he deserves death and there is no biblical reason not to put him down.
Agreed. There are some outstanding cases where the family and victim PLEAD for the death penalty.

Had Duncan done that to a relative of mine, I'd have prayed he was found innocent so that I could hunt him down and kill him myself. And yes, had he done that to a child of mine, my life would be over anyway and I WOULD do it.

But even I admit there are many, many cases that I would not support the death penalty. It takes CONCRETE evidence, period. I mean several witnesses or video documentation (not all that uncommon these days).

The only death penalty crimes I believe in are:

Rape (That is, forced rape - not "Date Rape")
Murder (Not involuntary manslaughter or accidental events)
Sadistic or sexual crimes against children (Yes - I mean what I am saying, please don't post questions or "what if's")

This is opinion basd and subjective to a great extent, but nonetheless, I believe that punishments should fit the crimes committed. Murderers should be subject to losing their lives and sexual deviants should be subject to castration. We MUST become convicted as a society that crime will not tolerable no matter the possible underlying background of criminals who would become perps. Our laws should reflect our disdain and lack of tolerance for crime otherwise we collectively fall down a slippery slope.

I am for it because the Bible is for it. Do you want me to pull the switch, or do you want me to drop the gas pills, or do you want me to administer the lethal injection ?
I am proud to serve:salute

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back