Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Arminian vs Reformed

having made the same mistake and realising that i am not a theologian on the par totally refute calvin.its best to try to learn the calvinist argument and read for yourself why it is wrong and be objective and ask God what is true and let him lead you to where it is.

if you find calvin is correct then what have you lost?

your soul isnt going to hell over him.
besides most of the founders of this nation were most likely calvinists.
you argued that by supporting the current govt we then also should support the idea of revolution

the majority of the original 13 colonies were calvinist.

Dear friends, Appeals about not going to hell are beside the point. Is it God's perfect will for every Christian to be a Calvinist. If not, why bother? We need to be "mere Christians", (to quote C.S. Lewis), not "mere Calvinists". If Calvinism can be shown to be non-Christian in some of its teachings (such as 2 Peter 3:9), then 2 Peter 3:9 shows what GOD THINKS. What GOD THINKS IS ALL THAT SHOULD MATTER TO A BELIEVING CHRIST, NOT WHAT JOHN CALVIN THINKS. OR what you think or what I think. What the NT SAYS. IS ALL THAT MATTERS.
In Erie PA Scott Harrington
:)

Dear friends, Appeals about not going to hell are beside the point. Is it God's perfect will for every Christian to be a Calvinist. If not, why bother? We need to be "mere Christians", (to quote C.S. Lewis), not "mere Calvinists". If Calvinism can be shown to be non-Christian in some of its teachings (such as 2 Peter 3:9), then 2 Peter 3:9 shows what GOD THINKS. What GOD THINKS IS ALL THAT SHOULD MATTER TO A BELIEVING CHRIST, NOT WHAT JOHN CALVIN THINKS. OR what you think or what I think. What the NT SAYS. IS ALL THAT MATTERS.
In Erie PA Scott Harrington
:)
i see that you wont dig into the very word you claim to know further but would rather stay where you are.

sad, in refuting calvin or failing to do so, you will learn more about the lord.

i see that you wont dig into the very word you claim to know further but would rather stay where you are.

sad, in refuting calvin or failing to do so, you will learn more about the lord.
Dear Jasoncran, There is no doubt, Calvin loved to study the Bible. Maybe he just should have lightened up when it came to Servetus and others he persecuted. I fail to see why people would ignore this about him, and just want to have him as a teacher without questioning his sources of NT insight. Plenty of other Bible teachers love and serve God without resorting to burning at a stake. In this, Calvin imitated the RCC. Religion poisons everything: Perhaps Christopher Hitchens is right about that :pray. We need more of the Spirit of Jesus Christ, and more of the Spirit of religiosity in harming others in the name of Jesus. :pray
God bless all of you, Calvinists one and all and non-Calvinists too. In Erie PA Scott Harrington

Dear Jasoncran, There is no doubt, Calvin loved to study the Bible. Maybe he just should have lightened up when it came to Servetus and others he persecuted. I fail to see why people would ignore this about him, and just want to have him as a teacher without questioning his sources of NT insight. Plenty of other Bible teachers love and serve God without resorting to burning at a stake. In this, Calvin imitated the RCC. Religion poisons everything: Perhaps Christopher Hitchens is right about that :pray. We need more of the Spirit of Jesus Christ, and more of the Spirit of religiosity in harming others in the name of Jesus. :pray
God bless all of you, Calvinists one and all and non-Calvinists too. In Erie PA Scott Harrington

look i am just as guilty of this as you,ok

should i dimiss luther for killing the jews? the catholics for the same?
and i am sure that orthodox didnt commit a crime?

look i am just as guilty of this as you,ok

should i dimiss luther for killing the jews? the catholics for the same?
and i am sure that orthodox didnt commit a crime?
Orthodoxy has problems I do not understand. I am not either criticizing or defending anything wrong in the East. They do tend to turn people off sometimes in their use of foreign languages in America. In America, the GOC should be using English. They could have extra services, in Greek, but if they want to win souls to Christ, they are going to need to use English. I gather the ROC understands this. The local parish uses mostly English and minimal Church Slavonic. In the RCC, Latin is no longer the main thing here in America at least. I am not an expert on RC, but I gather Vatican II changed some things and the Catholics follow English rite masses, not the old Latin Tridentine traditionalism. I don't know.
I gather some in the RCC just don't get the EOC, and so they say that the EOC doesn't say the right thing about FILIOQUE. I believe I have said many times that this is wrong. The EOC gets this doctrine against Filioquism Just Right.
In Erie PA Scott Harrington PS Eastern Orthodoxy has atheism and communism in Russia as part of the baggage of Russia; it may not actually be the Church's fault, but people obviously were forsaking God in Russia and not following God according to the ROC. That is sad, not something to blame the ROC for. We really should not blame RC for the mistakes of the popes of Rome. These people are oppressed by their hierarchy, and I believe I will just leave it at that. What with all the scandals in Rome due to pedophile RC priests. It is sad, not something I will say more on. We have all sinned. Rome just should let there be more married priests, marriage would be an answer that would help things for many people. Among the RCC. mandatory celibacy of priests is a late tradition, not at all the practice of the early Church. In Erie PA Scott Harrington

eventide, please don't use this thread to take your cheap shots at those you disagree with.

This is the typical Calvinist response... no substance at all, just telling me that I'm taking cheap shots... What's the matter, you can't answer the simple questions from scripture ?

Wouldn't answering these simple questions be the best way to answer what you call a cheap shot.. although your unwillingness or inability to answer them says more than anything else... and again, this is typically what Calvinists resort to when they don't have an answer.

This is the typical Calvinist response... no substance at all, just telling me that I'm taking cheap shots... What's the matter, you can't answer the simple questions from scripture ?

Wouldn't answering these simple questions be the best way to answer what you call a cheap shot.. although your unwillingness or inability to answer them says more than anything else... and again, this is typically what Calvinists resort to when they don't have an answer.

Your right about one thing, I think it is a simple question. I have debated so many simple minded Pelagians that it gets old. Rarely do I see Pelagians that are even able to articulate what Calvinism teaches accurately.

The reason I am not answering it here is two fold. First. I suspect your telling lies about no Calvinist response, I think you never read even one Calvinist commentary, or book on any issue let alone your questions. I suspect your clueless what Calvinists teach. I also don't think you listened to the link in the OP which is not Calvinist. But I cannot help contrast that person and someone like you. I enjoy good company of those who disagree politely with my position and respect them as fellow Christians. On the other hand, I can pick out the radical, ultra fundamentalist, nasty people like you coming a long way off. The second reason I did not answer you here is because it is not the reason I started the thread (for yet one more Reformed vs Semi-Pelagian disagreement) There are plenty of threads if you want to debate.

So then, if you show me that your not just another ignorant radical, and you want to have a civil conversation in a different thread, I would be happy to oblige. Otherwise, if you just looking to be rude, why should I care about anything you say?

Your right about one thing, I think it is a simple question.

Which can't be honestly or answered sincerely by any Calvinist, because of obvious reasons.

I have debated so many simple minded Pelagians that it gets old. Rarely do I see Pelagians that are even able to articulate what Calvinism teaches accurately.

All I did was posit a couple of simple questions... and your response has been only to call it a cheap shot, and now I'm catergorized as a simple minded Pelagian... so typical from what I've seen.. no substance, only personal attacks upon the poster.

The reason I am not answering it here is two fold. First. I suspect your telling lies about no Calvinist response, I think you never read even one Calvinist commentary, or book on any issue let alone your questions.

Now you're calling me a liar... this is basically what Calvinists say when they can't answer a simple question.

I suspect your clueless what Calvinists teach.

You're right, it does get old... this is all you have to say about what I post ?

I also don't think you listened to the link in the OP which is not Calvinist. But I cannot help contrast that person and someone like you. I enjoy good company of those who disagree politely with my position and respect them as fellow Christians. On the other hand, I can pick out the radical, ultra fundamentalist, nasty people like you coming a long way off. The second reason I did not answer you here is because it is not the reason I started the thread (for yet one more Reformed vs Semi-Pelagian disagreement) There are plenty of threads if you want to debate.

What's so nasty about a couple of questions ? If they were answerable then wouldn't that settle it for all to see..? But the reality is that all you can say is nasty things about another poster which no know nothing about.. and again, this aligns perfectly with the typical Calvinist response.

Nice work.

So then, if you show me that your not just another ignorant radical, and you want to have a civil conversation in a different thread, I would be happy to oblige. Otherwise, if you just looking to be rude, why should I care about anything you say?

I think it's obvious who is being rude here...

Which can't be honestly or answered sincerely by any Calvinist, because of obvious reasons.

Now you're calling me a liar... this is basically what Calvinists say when they can't answer a simple question.

Yes, I am calling you a liar.

Back