Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Atheist reading the Bible to try understand

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Hi, for full disclosure I classify myself as an atheist. Recently my friend gave me a bible and suggested I should try reading it. Out of respect for them and their beliefs I decided I would try reading it. If nothing else it can't harm anyone to gain a comprehensive understanding of what Christians believe.

I'm currently reading it cover to cover and am currently at Isaiah chapter 29.

I've been discussing online with people on other sites to try understand various peoples interpretations of the Bible. I've come to realise there are many different interpretations.

Most seem to speak of the Bible with similar attitudes with minor discrepancies on interpretation and meanings of certain commandments or translations.

However a group of people have been commenting to me only in private messages not in view of other people. This has happened across multiple platforms.

People have sent me links to a website called the rapture countdown and a the word Dispensationalism keeps coming up whenever they message me.

Ive looked it up and see it is a group of Christians that believe the Bible is to be taken literally.

My questions are: Is Dispensationalism something commonly believed amongst Christians? Why do these people not post publicly? What are people's general thoughts on this?

Now I wish to make clear I do not fully understand the beliefs of Christians, this is why I'm reading the Bible. My intention is not to mock or insult anyone's religion only to learn what you believe and I have absolutely no interest in trying to make anyone question their beliefs. Im just trying to understand.

Any insight in to this would be appreciated. Thank you.

Ive looked it up and see it is a group of Christians that believe the Bible is to be taken literally.
The bible was a completely literal book, but now it as a mixture of symbolic and literal meanings. The events in the bible really did happen as it says. Now it is not purely literal, because it isnt The Father that speaks, and it isnt The Son that speaks, its The Holy Spirit that speaks to us. He speaks through Holy Spirit filled people, He speaks through His word that He created and inspired all the writers of the book. All the writers at the time they wrote books of the bible were Holy Spirit filled.

Now I wish to make clear I do not fully understand the beliefs of Christians, this is why I'm reading the Bible. My intention is not to mock or insult anyone's religion only to learn what you believe and I have absolutely no interest in trying to make anyone question their beliefs. Im just trying to understand.
The most important question the Bible addresses is how can sinful man stand before a Holy God?
In your reading through Exodus through Deuteronomy, you saw how sin was dealt with through the slaying of animals and offered by the Priests. When you come to the Book of Hebrews in the New Testament, you will see that there is an Eternal Priest who offered Himself without spot or blemish (without sin) unto God.
In the Book of Romans (chaps 1-3) you will see that all of us stand guilty before God, without hope, EXCEPT FOR THE FACT, that in the Gospel, Jesus has been offered for our sins and freely grants eternal life to those who call upon Him in faith.
Go back to Genesis 22 and you will see this in picture form where Abraham tells his son Isaac, "God will provide Himself a sacrifice".

Genesis 22:7-8 (KJV) And Isaac spake unto Abraham his father, and said, My father: and he said, Here am I, my son. And he said, Behold the fire and the wood: but where is the lamb for a burnt offering? And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together.

Hebrews 10:10 (NASB) By this will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

My questions are: Is Dispensationalism something commonly believed amongst Christians? Why do these people not post publicly? What are people's general thoughts on this?
Re: Dispensationalism - given your current understanding of Christianity is in it's infancy, I highly suggest you not worry about this subject. It is an unnecessary distraction.

Why do these people not post publicly? (I don't know)

What are people's general thoughts on this? I think your study method is inefficient given your current understanding of Christianity is in it's infancy. The Bible is a complex books as it is not organized topically so it will be VERY DIFFICULT to put all the pieces together.
  • Why did Christ die,
  • is Christ divine,
  • what is the trinity,
  • how is one saved,
  • how does one know he is saved
  • what is the role of the Holy Spirit
  • what is the purpose of God, of man
  • etc. etc.
If you send me a private message with your email I can send you a couple books that will organize biblical concepts topically using the Bible as a reference to to substantiate any points made on each topic. Note: I believe the Bible alone is the sole source of God's instructions to man. Others (Roman Catholics) believe in the Bible and tradition are the source of God's instructions ... if you want an R.C. explanation, I'm not your guy. Good luck (though, with God there is not such thing as luck).

Acts 8:29 And the Spirit said to Philip, “Go over and join this chariot.” 30 So Philip ran to him and heard him reading Isaiah the prophet and asked, “Do you understand what you are reading?” 31 And he said, “How can I, unless someone guides me?” And he invited Philip to come up and sit with him.

Re: Dispensationalism - given your current understanding of Christianity is in it's infancy, I highly suggest you not worry about this subject. It is an unnecessary distraction.

Why do these people not post publicly? (I don't know)

What are people's general thoughts on this? I think your study method is inefficient given your current understanding of Christianity is in it's infancy. The Bible is a complex books as it is not organized topically so it will be VERY DIFFICULT to put all the pieces together.
  • Why did Christ die,
  • is Christ divine,
  • what is the trinity,
  • how is one saved,
  • etc. etc.
If you send me a private message with your email I can send you a couple books that will organize biblical concepts topically using the Bible as a reference to to substantiate any points made on each topic. Note: I believe the Bible alone is the sole source of God's instructions to man. Others (Roman Catholics) believe in the Bible and tradition are the source of God's instructions ... if you want an R.C. explanation, I'm not your guy. Good luck (though, with God there is not such thing as luck).

Acts 8:29 And the Spirit said to Philip, “Go over and join this chariot.” 30 So Philip ran to him and heard him reading Isaiah the prophet and asked, “Do you understand what you are reading?” 31 And he said, “How can I, unless someone guides me?” And he invited Philip to come up and sit with him.
If Paul wanted us to know scripture topically,,,he would have written it that way.

The best way to study scripture is to read the N.T. from beginning to end.
Just the gospels ALONE will tell us all we need to know to come to salvation.

By simply reading the N.T. we can learn:

• Why did Christ die,
  • is Christ divine,
  • what is the trinity,
  • how is one saved,

Hi, for full disclosure I classify myself as an atheist. Recently my friend gave me a bible and suggested I should try reading it. Out of respect for them and their beliefs I decided I would try reading it. If nothing else it can't harm anyone to gain a comprehensive understanding of what Christians believe.
You won’t ‘gain a comprehensive understanding of what Christians believe’ by simply studying the Bible. It is there as an ensign to be believed as God’s Word…not as another book of history but rather it should be read as His Story to be believed.
Hopefully somewhere along the path you believe in the Dvine inspiration of Scripture and become born again and then you will begin to ‘gain a comprehensive understanding of what Christians believe’.

1 Corinthians 1:4,18 NASB
[4] I thank my God always concerning you for the grace of God which was given you in Christ Jesus, [18] For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

1 Corinthians 1:20-24 NASB
[20] Where is the wise man? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? [21] For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not come to know God, God was well-pleased through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe. [22] For indeed Jews ask for signs and Greeks search for wisdom; [23] but we preach Christ crucified, to Jews a stumbling block and to Gentiles foolishness, [24] but to those who are the called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.

1 Corinthians 2:12-14 NASB
[12] Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may know the things freely given to us by God, [13] which things we also speak, not in words taught by human wisdom, but in those taught by the Spirit, combining spiritual thoughts with spiritual words. [14] But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised.

I've been discussing online with people on other sites to try understand various peoples interpretations of the Bible. I've come to realise there are many different interpretations.

Most seem to speak of the Bible with similar attitudes with minor discrepancies on interpretation and meanings of certain commandments or translations.

However a group of people have been commenting to me only in private messages not in view of other people. This has happened across multiple platforms.

People have sent me links to a website called the rapture countdown and a the word Dispensationalism keeps coming up whenever they message me.

What may I ask have you gotten out of it so far ?

What are you all talking about?
I keep it simple.
I love Jesus, period.
If you read the opening post, you would know 'what we are talking about' and that we are not talking about you.
You love Jesus, because you know who He is and what He did. Many people haven't got to first base yet... I know, I was one of them, having been raised by an atheist and without a stitch of bible knowledge or Church attendance.

Many people haven't got to first base yet... I know, I was one of them, having been raised by an atheist and without a stitch of bible knowledge or Church attendance.
What, in your opinion, caused you to seek God? How did you go about seeking 'truth'? How long till you thought you were on the right track (had a foundational belief/faith)? What is the foundation upon which you determine which sources and interpretations of those sources are true, partially true or false?

Aside: I still ponder upon the last question. Don't feel obligated to answer. An adult atheist coming to Christ is interesting.

What, in your opinion, caused you to seek God? How did you go about seeking 'truth'? How long till you thought you were on the right track (had a foundational belief/faith)? What is the foundation upon which you determine which sources and interpretations of those sources are true, partially true or false?

Aside: I still ponder upon the last question. Don't feel obligated to answer. An adult atheist coming to Christ is interesting.
Are there children atheists?
That's a new one on me.

I was barely 23 when the Lord broke in upon my reality. I would have to give you a very long version to explain myself but to summarize, even though I thought I was seeking truth, it was in all the wrong places. In a sense what I may have called 'seeking answers/truth', I was actually running and hiding from God. I had sort of a Pauline experience (Acts 9) where He initially reveals Himself but I was so saturated with drugs, Eastern philosophies and political zealotry, it took 15 months (Dec '72-Mar '74) and another encounter or so, for it to 'take' to where I would never look back.
During those 15 months I became acutely aware of that we were more than physical beings but their was actually an inner being (soul) in each person that spoke words and those words were coming from the innermost part of the person. Also during these 15 months, the Bible became to make sense as others would share it or I would read it. It took on a further reality as I would (like a child) offer up a prayer and see it miraculously answered.
The foundation would be the Scriptures, it's unity, truthfulness and trust worthiness as well as the Holy Spirit's leading, convictions and guidance.

Of course God's Word and God's Spirit both point to Jesus...

1 Corinthians 3:11 (KJV) For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.

Matthew 16:13-17 (NASB) Now when Jesus came into the district of Caesarea Philippi, He was asking His disciples, "Who do people say that the Son of Man is?" And they said, "Some say John the Baptist; and others, Elijah; but still others, Jeremiah, or one of the prophets." He *said to them, "But who do you say that I am?" Simon Peter answered, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God." And Jesus said to him, "Blessed are you, Simon Barjona, because flesh and blood did not reveal this to you, but My Father who is in heaven.

I was barely 23 when the Lord broke in upon my reality. I would have to give you a very long version to explain myself but to summarize, even though I thought I was seeking truth, it was in all the wrong places. In a sense what I may have called 'seeking answers/truth', I was actually running and hiding from God. I had sort of a Pauline experience (Acts 9) where He initially reveals Himself but I was so saturated with drugs, Eastern philosophies and political zealotry, it took 15 months (Dec '72-Mar '74) and another encounter or so, for it to 'take' to where I would never look back.
During those 15 months I became acutely aware of that we were more than physical beings but their was actually an inner being (soul) in each person that spoke words and those words were coming from the innermost part of the person. Also during these 15 months, the Bible became to make sense as others would share it or I would read it. It took on a further reality as I would (like a child) offer up a prayer and see it miraculously answered.
The foundation would be the Scriptures, it's unity, truthfulness and trust worthiness as well as the Holy Spirit's leading, convictions and guidance.

Of course God's Word and God's Spirit both point to Jesus...

1 Corinthians 3:11 (KJV) For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.

Matthew 16:13-17 (NASB) Now when Jesus came into the district of Caesarea Philippi, He was asking His disciples, "Who do people say that the Son of Man is?" And they said, "Some say John the Baptist; and others, Elijah; but still others, Jeremiah, or one of the prophets." He *said to them, "But who do you say that I am?" Simon Peter answered, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God." And Jesus said to him, "Blessed are you, Simon Barjona, because flesh and blood did not reveal this to you, but My Father who is in heaven.
I came to meet Jesus at about the same time you did.
I was married and had two small children.
No drugs, no alcohol, no smoking :halo
LOL

But I was having a problem (health) and just felt like I could not go forward, having a young family.
I knew about God because I was raised Catholic. One day, while praying for help, just out of the blue,
while I was washing my dishes, I felt like God spoke to me. God was Jesus at that moment. He told me something
that helped my problem....I stopped feeling sick and was literally cured/healed, whatever -at that moment.

God was there.
I sought Him.
He responded.

I thank God that He is available to all who seek Him.

Jeremiah 29:13
13You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart.

Its funny joy with God doing all, I had a friend who hated the bible and threw it away and I saw his divine light. that is on all men being used by God., so I don't worry about the minds beliefs. its more like a school with death and fear, but no ones lost.

It's probably a mistake for you to have started reading the Old Testament, as it is very difficult to comprehend without a knowledge of the history, culture, and society of the times.

My suggestion is to finish the Bible "book" that you're reading and then go to the New Testament, starting with the Gospels: Matthew, Mark, John, and Luke-Acts (a two-part work), then carefully read Romans, referred to by some as "the Constitution of Christianity".

By then I'm sure that you'll have a decent understanding of Christianity. Please continue to post any questions that you might have.

BTW, I was a serious atheist for the first 34 years of my life. Then Jesus healed me in the hospital and filled me with His Spirit. Hopefully, your route will be easier.

I agree that reading through the Old Testament it can be difficult to remain focused and push forward. There is a lot of historical data, names of people and cities, etc. But, I believe the Old Testament also helps build the foundation for one's faith and understanding of God, His character, who He is, and how we relate to Him.

It also might be worthwhile to consider finding a reading plan that includes OT text along with NT text. Here's a link to a 365 day reading plan that incorporates OT and NT readings each day. Something to consider.

Keep reading the Bible till you reach the end. You have not read the new testament before you create your conclusion please read the whole Bible with an open mind then let's us hear your view about it.

Back