Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Baptism in Heb 6:1

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rick said:
Communion is not the private domain of the Catholic Church. MANY non-Catholic churches practice Communion. In the non-denominational Church I attended in Salt Lake City, Calvary Chapel of SLC, we too partook of Communion. The words " This do in remembrance of me" were carved into the table for all to see. And we practice Communion in the non-denominational church I attend today.
The Christian bishop I met while in Salt Lake who helped me SO much in my walk with Christ also teaches Communion. He never flaunted his position and rarely wore his collar but only during official events. He too is non-denominational.

Luke 22:19 And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me.
Luke 22:20 Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you.

"this do in remembrance of me"
"Man" did not say that. Christ himself did.

Yes Rick, Christ said it, but he said it to his disciples as they were observing the Jewish Passover and Christ said he wouldn't do it again until returned and that will be during the third passover. The only passover that is for Jew and Gentile is the second passover. Also as you know the passover feast was once a year for a week and was strictly for Jews only. Also the Sunday snack you describe has its origin from Rome and Rome gets its ideas from Babylon and puts biblical names to them.

I thank the real Christ of the bible I'm not under any ordinances as he has done them all for me and I'm under 100% grace and my works are not for justification but for service as a servant to my master for he bought me with a price, His shed blood on the cross for me personally. Can you say the same?

Ye are bought with a price; be not ye the servants of men.
24 Brethren, let every man, wherein he is called, therein abide with God. {and not in the philosophies of men}
1 Cor 7:23-24 (KJV)

Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.
Col 2:8 (KJV)

14 For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;
15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;
Eph 2:14-15 (KJV)

Tomlane

Inferring what Rick, sorry I don't dare assume as I would be off course.

Would you care to explain? Thanks

Tomlane

Eph 6:10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
Eph 6:11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
Eph 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
Eph 6:13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
Eph 6:14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
Eph 6:15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
Eph 6:16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
Eph 6:17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
Eph 6:18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;
Eph 6:19 And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel,
Eph 6:20 For which I am an ambassador in bonds: that therein I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.

Disciple:

noun, verb, -pled, -pling.
–noun
1. Religion.
a. one of the 12 personal followers of Christ.
b. one of the 70 followers sent forth by Christ. Luke 10:1.
c. any other professed follower of Christ in His lifetime.
2. any follower of Christ.
3. (initial capital letter) a member of the Disciples of Christ.
4. a person who is a pupil or an adherent of the doctrines of another; follower: a disciple of Freud.
–verb (used with object)
5. Archaic. to convert into a disciple.
6. Obsolete. to teach; train.

1Cor 11:24 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.
1Cor 11:25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.
1Cor 11:26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.

Rick that was a Jewish thing all the way, The church wasn't even around yet and now both Jew and Gentile are a new creation. The new creation is not subject to ordinances of any kind.

Tomlane

Tomlane said:
Rick that was a Jewish thing all the way, The church wasn't even around yet and now both Jew and Gentile are a new creation. The new creation is not subject to ordinances of any kind.
Corinth is in Greece. This most certainly was written to a church and that was the church at Corinth, that is indisputable--"1Co 1:2 To the church of God that is in Corinth, to those sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints together with all those who in every place call upon the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, both their Lord and ours". And as can be seen, the church most certainly was around.

So, yes, the Lord's Supper is an ordinance for the Church, for all believers and we are to do it in remembrance of what Christ did for us.

Tomlane said:

Tomlane

The bible is a very Jewish book.
What part is for us Gentiles? After removing all the Jewish references there isn't much left.
If there's something I don't want to believe I should be able to claim it's was for the Jews, or to the Jews, spoken only to Jews or something quite easily. :shrug

"The new creation is not subject to ordinances of any kind."

True enough. And I have liberty in Christ to partake of Communion if I so desire or not. But if I do I must take Paul's admonition to heart that I don't make it a mockery. If I choose to partake I do it in remembrance of our Lord to come. It's my choice.
If you don't care to participate then don't. But if someone else wishes to do so then that's totally up to them. To teach it as some kind of sin or evil thing imposes restriction on someone whose freedom in Christ was paid for by His blood, His broken body.
Yes, we are free from the Law but that doesn't mean I should judge someone else who does these things as wrong.

Rom 14:1 Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations.
Rom 14:2 For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs.
Rom 14:3 Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him.
Rom 14:4 Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.
Rom 14:5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
Rom 14:6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.
Rom 14:7 For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself.
Rom 14:8 For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's.
Rom 14:9 For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living.

Rick, you stated: 'What part is for us Gentiles? After removing all the Jewish references there isn't much left."

All of Paul letters are instructions for the church. Paul is also Apostile to the gentiles.

For I speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle of the Gentiles, I magnify mine office:
Romans 11:13 (KJV)

Anyone can join a denomination. And Christ is only building one church with one faith, with one hope and one calling and it is not the calling of our choice as you stated that its your choice to do as will for God created all of us that way but if we want to please God it has to be his way, and that leaves us with no choice. is the servant wiser than the master?

There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;
5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,
6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all
Eph 4:4-6 (KJV)

Since there is only one church or body how do we get a choice out of that and still please God? Paul said that is carnal and we are babies when we do that. I'm sure you have read it.

Please remember not all inspiration was given at one time to Paul so we have to be careful how we study God's word and not confuse the overlapping of the two programs.

Another thought about choice, if we want to please God it has to be done his way or it won't be honored.

Rick, you also gave some scripture that reads: 'Rom 14:1 Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations.'

My question to you is, did you paste that in because you think you may be weak in the faith? I know in certain areas I am and have to get the Lord's strength daily. just curious why you put that in.

Tomlane

I hardly think God is going to be displeased with someone honoring His Son in Communion.

Tomlane said:
My question to you is, did you paste that in because you think you may be weak in the faith?

Tomlane

:)

Of course not.
It's simply the beginning of the chapter.

Anyway, is that all the comment you have for Romans 14?

Rick, :) Before I comment on Romans 14, would please show me from scripture where believers in the church are commanded to have communion and where God authorized it for us? I believe this may be the crux of the problem. And thank you for keeping the questions coming. I love it.

Tomlane

It isn't commanded and I believe that's where the confusion is coming from.
"This do in remembrance of me" is just that. He didn't say this is an ordinance for all generations and it was never mentioned when Christ was asked 'what shall we do to be saved?'.
We DO have freedom in Christ, we are no longer a bondslave of the Law, the schoolmaster. We are not to judge those who practice communion, refrain from eating pork... etc. Romans 14 demonstrates that liberty. Paul or Christ never made Communion a "law". Paul chastened those who made it a mockery but never said whether it was to be done or not.
Again, we are not under the Law but grace. Why trade one set of laws for another by teaching restriction of Communion? It's exactly what Paul was trying to convey in Romans 14, our liberty in Christ.

#1 The Passover supper was for the Jews only. This never changes in Scripture to also be for the church.

Exodus 12:43-45 This is the ordinance of the passover: There shall no stranger eat thereof: But every man's servant that is bought for money, when thou hast circumcised him, then shall he eat thereof. A foreigner and an hired servant shall not eat thereof.

The Passover supper was a week long celebration and it was a full meal once a year. It had quite a few rules and requirements. It never changes in Scripture to become a snack for the church whenever convenient.

Exodus 12:18-19 In the first month, on the fourteenth day of the month at even, ye shall eat unleavened bread, until the one and twentieth day of the month at even. Seven days shall there be no leaven found in your houses: for whosoever eateth that which is leavened, even that soul shall be cut off from the congregation of Israel, whether he be a stranger, or born in the land.

Exodus 12:8 And they shall eat the flesh in that night, roast with fire, and unleavened bread; and with bitter herbs they shall eat it.

#2 Did the Lord change the supper? No! Did He give it some new meaning? Yes.

Luke 22:1 Now the feast of unleavened bread drew nigh, which is called the Passover.

Luke 22:15 With desire I have desired to eat this passover with you before I suffer:

It is still called a “feast†and it is still called the “Passoverâ€Â.

The Lord did not change the way or the rules of the supper, but He did change what the participant was to be meditating on. The Lord gave a “forward look†to the coming Kingdom for the supper. For 1500 years the Israelites looked back to coming out of Egypt during the Passover, but here in Luke, He gives them a new look to the future.

Luke 22:29-30 And I appoint unto you a kingdom, as my Father hath appointed unto me; That ye may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel

Jeremiah foretold of this change centuries before

Jeremiah 23:6-8 Therefore, behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that they shall no more say, The LORD liveth, which brought up the children of Israel out of the land of Egypt; But, The LORD liveth, which brought up and which led the seed of the house of Israel out of the north country, and from all countries whither I had driven them; and they shall dwell in their own land.

#3 The Lord also informs the disciples that from this night forward when they keep the Passover, (once a year) they are to remember Him and His great sacrifice, along with that look to the future kingdom.

Luke 22:16-20…I will not any more eat thereof, until it be fulfilled in the kingdom of God. And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and said, Take this, and divide it among yourselves: For I say unto you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine, until the kingdom of God shall come. And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me. Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament (or Covenant) in my blood, which is shed for you.

The New Covenant (or Testament) is not for the church. The New Covenant will be made with the same people that had the Old Covenant, the nation of Israel. The church is not part of the New Covenant.

Jeremiah 31:31 & Hebrews 8:8 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:

#4 The apostle Paul reminds the Jewish Christians at Corinth of what took place the night the Lord was arrested, and he rebukes them for their corruption of the Passover.

1 Corinnthians 11:20-30 When ye come together therefore into one place, this is not to eat the Lord's supper. The Lord’s supper was to be eaten at home…
What? have ye not houses to eat and to drink in? or despise ye the church of God, and shame them that have not? What shall I say to you? shall I praise you in this? I praise you not…. That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread, And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me. After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me. For as often It was once a year, remember.
as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death These are not our marching orders: we are to show His life and resurrection.
till he come. The church should not be looking for this coming: we look for the Lord coming in the air.
Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. Most of Christendom is guilty and eats unworthily.
But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup. For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body. For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep (died). Do people die today when they keep this feast unworthily? No!

We do not have people sick and dying today when they keep this feast unworthily, but Corinth sure did because God was still dealing with Israel physically. The Christian Jews continued to practice the law (including the Passover etc.) until the book of Hebrews was written.

Please notice the four very distinctly Jewish things brought out in the context: (1) It’s the Jewish Passover taking place, (2) The New Covenant (Testament) which is for Israel is in view, (3) This 2nd coming is to the earth to set up the Kingdom, not to catch the church away, (4) Kingdom powers are taking place (judgment, sickness and death etc.). None of this is for the church!
#5 Breaking of bread?

Often Christians read that they “broke bread†in the Scriptures and their minds have been programmed to go immediately to the “supperâ€Â. Many Protestants also just can’t seem to be able to break away from Rome or human tradition. The following passages are often quoted to support the “often†and “snack type†supper that most of Christendom partakes of.

Acts 2:42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers. 46..and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness

The disciples often ate together, but it wasn’t the Passover. They simply shared meals together.

Acts 20:7-11 And upon the first day of the week Saturday night after sundown
when the disciples came together to break bread Passover? No!

Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight… and as Paul was long preaching, he (Eutychus) sunk down with sleep, and fell down from the third loft…Trouble not yourselves; for his life is in him.

When he therefore was come up again, and had broken bread and eaten,

Passover again a few hours later? Of course not!

and talked a long while, even till break of day, so he departed.

Much of Christendom actually believes that this meeting mentioned here is what informs the church that we should have the “Lord’s Supper†on Sunday morning. They are in error, this meeting was Saturday evening (sundown is the start of the next day in the bible). And it was not the Passover!

1 Corinthians 10:3-4 … all eat the same spiritual meat; And did all drink the same spiritual drink:

Even Israel ate and drank spiritually:

They drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them … that rock was Christ

#6 The age old battle.

John 6:52-53 How can this man give us his flesh to eat?…Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.

It is a corruption and mixture of the Passover and Christ’s death that Rome somehow uses to try to fulfill these verses. Protestantism stumbles along with their own version of what they think is being taught, but both miss the context!

John 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

In John 3 the Lord is teaching a spiritual birth, in contrast to the physical birth. In John 4, it is living water in contrast to physical water. In John 6 it is spiritual meat and drink in contrast to the physical. God wants our hearts and minds to be in the spiritual realm not the physical.
#7 Israel had its authorized physical religion, but in the church “we are…â€Â:

Phillipians 3:3 … we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh.

Real worship does not need physical elements.

1 Corinthians 5:7-8 For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us: Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.

How do we eat “sincerity and truth� Ans. By keeping our feast (our fellowship) in the spiritual realm, not the physical.

Colossians 2:16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

How do we fulfill the above command? Ans. By not participating in Israel’s physical religion. “Which..â€Â

Hebrews 9:10-11…Which stood only in meats and drinks, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them (Israel) until the time of reformation. But Christ being come an high priest …

The law, including the Passover supper was “imposed†on Israel “until the time of reformationâ€Â, but the church is free from that Law! Christ fulfilled the law.
#8 Flee Idolatry

1 Corinthians 10:14-17 Wherefore, my dearly beloved, flee from idolatry…The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ? For we being many are one bread, and one body: for we are all partakers of that one bread.

One way to obey this verse and “flee idolatry†is to understand that we can’t eat this bread because, as the passage teaches, we “are†the bread!

Ephesians 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:

Our blessings are spiritual in heavenly places, not physical in earthly places.

Colossians 2:20-22 Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances…Which all are to perish with the using?

Are you “subject to ordinancesâ€Â? If it is spiritual worship you practice, it will not “perish with usingâ€Â.

Colossians 2:14 ... Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us…nailing it to his cross;

The Law (including the Passover) was against us. But not any more thank God!

We do not need physical elements to accomplish true worship today. If you find yourself in need of something physical, you are probably an idolater.

Are you guilty of mixing some bible truth with Judaism, adding a little tradition of men and then some religious invention? Most are.
#9 Worship God in Spirit and in Truth

John 4:24 they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

Heb.12:28 let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear:

We must worship God His way, or it is false worship. Our worship must be according to God’s word. It must be the truth. It must be acceptable to Him. It must be with reverence and godly fear and, of course thank God, we do have the grace to do it.

Galatians 3:1-3 O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, Who has put a spell on you?
that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you? This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? Crackers and grape juice will help make me “perfect� NEVER!!
Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh? Rome or Her daughters: “Yes, if the priest or preacher says some ‘magic’ wordsâ€Â
Galatians 3:10-13 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them. But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them. Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us:

When religious man tries to make Israel’s Passover into some kind of ritual for the church, he is in actuality trying to put us back under the law. And also, that unscriptural effort is an attack upon the finished work of Jesus Christ.

It makes a difference what we believe!

Romans 10:4 For Christ is the end of the law
Jim Maurer

I did not write this but its the same end results had I had a hand in it and its better organized than I can write so I pasted this in. I hope it helps.

Tomlane

I'm not up for reading all that :o
If you don't want to partake in Communion there's no law that says you must. If I want to partake in Communion there's no law that says I can't. I have liberty in Christ to choose what I eat, how I worship and what day/s I worship. Nor will I judge anyone who chooses to do so or not. Otherwise the freedom in Christ is nothing more than trading one set of laws for another and there's not much Good News in that.
And if I ever attend a church that doesn't offer Communion then I'll choose to attend one the does. :shrug

Rick said:
I'm not up for reading all that :o
If you don't want to partake in Communion there's no law that says you must. If I want to partake in Communion there's no law that says I can't. I have liberty in Christ to choose what I eat, how I worship and what day/s I worship. Nor will I judge anyone who chooses to do so or not. Otherwise the freedom in Christ is nothing more than trading one set of laws for another and there's not much Good News in that.
And if I ever attend a church that doesn't offer Communion then I'll choose to attend one the does. :shrug

Rick,

I fully agree with you that under this new covenant of grace that we are under, we have the liberty to participate or not to participate in the rituals of water baptism and communion.

I personally have been water baptized twice, once as an infant, and later on by immersion in a pentecostal church. But I have come to see by studying His Word that our Lord could not have possibly ordained water baptism as many claim. I'll explain why:

The doctrines that say water baptism confers forgiveness of sins, or that God grants forgiveness through water baptism, or that water baptism is anything other than a symbolic act are in error. The baptism of water performed in churches is nothing but a ceremonial washing as the following scripture attests.

Heb 9:10
10 They are only a matter of food and drink and various
ceremonial washings-- external regulations applying
until "the time of the new order." (NIV)

AND the GOOD News is: Jesus ushered in the “time of the new order “on the cross (though the benefits were in effect long, long before that).

The scriptures say in Heb 9:22 that “

22 ... “the law requires that nearly everything be cleansed
with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no
forgiveness. (NIV)

Jesus fulfilled this law, and so there is indeed a baptism for the “forgiveness of sins†but it is not the copy/shadow (baptism of water) performed by congregations before or after the Cross. The baptism that brought all of us (past tense) forgiveness of sins is the baptism that Jesus, as our representative, underwent for all of us. Remember what He said in Luke 12:50? (This is also the “birth of water†that Jesus spoke of in John 3:5)

Luke 12:50
But I have a baptism to undergo, and how distressed I am
until it is completed! (NIV)

Our Lord also spoke of this baptism or washing to Peter in John 13:6-11

6 He came to Simon Peter, who said to him, "Lord, are
you going to wash my feet?"
7 Jesus replied, "You do not realize now what I am doing,
but later you will understand."
8 "No," said Peter, "you shall never wash my feet."
Jesus answered,
"Unless I wash you, you have no part with me."
9 "Then, Lord," Simon Peter replied, "not just my feet but my
hands and my head as well!"
10 Jesus answered, "A person who has had a bath needs only to
wash his feet; his whole body is clean. And you are clean,
though not every one of you."
11 For he knew who was going to betray him, and that was
why he said not every one was clean.

Commentaries on the above verses and Christ’s own comments in John 13:12-17, speak of the washing of the disciples’ feet as an act/lesson in humility and something we should emulate and that is true; BUT Christ, in John 13:7 by His comments to Peter, also lets us know that there is more to these verses than the obvious. When Jesus told Peter, in verse 10, that he was “clean,†Jesus was speaking of a spiritual cleansing. We can see this because of the comments that follow in verse 11. Therefore, the “washing of the feet†that Peter (and the rest of the apostles, as well as the whole world) needed was not a physical washing but a spiritual washing.

The feet, for each of us, are the physical foundation of our bodies--what we stand on. Peter (and the rest of the apostles as well as the whole world) was “standing†spiritually in Adam for Christ hadn’t died for Adam’s sin and ours yet. The washing of the apostles’ feet was a symbolic way (bread and wine at the Last Supper was another way) Jesus used to let us know that He was going to wash away our sin--the sin we were “standing in†since Adam sinned and we inherited his sinful nature.

Therefore, here is the GOOD News!! We have all been washed clean in the blood of the Lamb, forgiven of our sins, reconciled to God. Rom 5:9 1, Pet 1:2, Rev 1:5.

This is the justification from all of our PAST transgressions and this is the regeneration (birth) of water that Jesus was speaking of to his apostles in John Chap 13. Have all been saved then?? NO! Remember Jesus said we must be born “of water AND of the Spirit.†The regeneration (birth) of the Spirit happens when we believe the GOOD News and God gives us His Holy Spirit.

This is a bit long and I apologize for that Rick. God bless!
Sonlite101

Sonlite, so refreshing to read from one who has rightly divided the word and given us all some refreshing Son light to this threat, thank you.

Tomlane

Personally I believe baptism to be one of public announcement that one has accepted Christ. I was saved in a moment and some want to say it's not what I thought it was for some reason or other. So be it. It's difficult to argue opinion against one who had an experience no matter how determined the opinion is. Whatever. Anyway...
My point is that I was saved, then I decided to be baptized about 6 weeks later. I was saved before the immersion and I was still saved afterward. Nothing changed for me, not my faith, not my thirst to find out who Christ is and not the strong desire to talk about Christ with anyone who cared to participate in discussion.
I was saved once and for all and I was baptized once and for all. Whatever the opinion or interpretation of doctrine/s may be the fact still remains that I was indeed baptized knowing full well what I was doing. Some could argue that I suppose but again the fact is I was baptized.
Once.

Communion for me is not a one time event.
Now I realize I'm free from the law but it's the law that forms the foundation of which Christ is the cornerstone. I reap what others have sown for those before me were indeed under the law but through the law came the grace of God that I'm now under a new covenant AND based solidly on the law, yet free from the law.
Communion for me is doing something in THIS world that has bearing on my faith for another world, that of the Kingdom of God. I partake Communion as a reminder of what Christ did for me. It's something my heart can grasp while in the flesh until I'm finally united with Him. I'm here. He's there. Communion I can do over and over again to relate with Him. I can say at times I'm filled with the Holy Spirit but I leak. Communion helps to refill that vessel giving me strength to persevere, reinforcing my faith in remembrance of the covenant ratified between us by what He had done on the cross and not by what I do or am doing or not doing.
The Destroyer will pass me by for His blood, the blood of the Lamb, is on my door. And it's that reminder which I do in remembrance of Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior... the Lamb of God.

This do in remembrance of me

You know, quite honestly it's hard to believe this topic has gone this far.

Matt 28:18-20 "18 And Jesus came and said to them, All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back