Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

[_ Old Earth _] Bible characters living for hundreds of years

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
U

undertow

"After the fall, the genetic line of Adam and his descendents was very pure, so their health would have been incredible. Living that long would not have been a problem."

http://www.carm.org/diff/Gen5.htm

I have seen this explanation by a Christian apologist site. Can any Christians explain this "purity" of the genetic line thing?

undertow said:
"After the fall, the genetic line of Adam and his descendents was very pure, so their health would have been incredible. Living that long would not have been a problem."

I have seen this explanation by a Christian apologist site. Can any Christians explain this "purity" of the genetic line thing?

No processed foods, everything was healthy and vibrant full of high nutient values. Highly oxygenated air and a low stress life would equal a healthy heart. This human body then could be properly nourished and create properly functioning internal organs.

JustifiedByFaith said:
undertow said:

No processed foods, everything was healthy and vibrant full of high nutient values. Highly oxygenated air and a low stress life would equal a healthy heart. This human body then could be properly nourished and create properly functioning internal organs.

Is this about the "genetic line" of Adam and his descendents?

I'm sorry, but unless your an elf or a sub-race of elves, I don't think you'll be able to break the 900 year mark.

JustifiedByFaith said:
undertow said:

Highly oxygenated air? Oxygen is toxic, you know...?

It's true, oxygen toxicity is a well known phenomenon to scuba divers. Also, any atmosphere with more then 33% oxygen would be dangerously explosive in contact with combustable materials.

Justified, pease refer to the biblical passage about the atmosphere being "highly oxygenated".

As far as "processed foods" goes - you do realize that cooking food is a form of processing it. Would you prefer to eat raw meat or cooked? Parasites and E.coli are not good for a longevity. Making cheese is also a form of processing food - much better to eat the probiotic bacteria in cheese then the harmful bacteria that can occur in non pasturized milk (pasturization is also a form of food processing - do you think it is bad for you? Actually processing food (like cooking) helps make it more digestible in addition to killing pathogens.

Late_Cretaceous said:
It's true, oxygen toxicity is a well known phenomenon to scuba divers. Also, any atmosphere with more then 33% oxygen would be dangerously explosive in contact with combustable materials.

Justified, pease refer to the biblical passage about the atmosphere being "highly oxygenated".

As far as "processed foods" goes - you do realize that cooking food is a form of processing it. Would you prefer to eat raw meat or cooked? Parasites and E.coli are not good for a longevity. Making cheese is also a form of processing food - much better to eat the probiotic bacteria in cheese then the harmful bacteria that can occur in non pasturized milk (pasturization is also a form of food processing - do you think it is bad for you? Actually processing food (like cooking) helps make it more digestible in addition to killing pathogens.

I think when processed food is mentioned, that what is harmful is not the cooking perse (though frying and burning is bad) but additives, preservatives and colorations. There is also the likelihood that species are actually passing through various stages of de-evolution (meaning species are becoming more prone to diseases and that organisms are drifting further and further away from their created purpose and abilities biologically). An example would be with regard to the building of the pyramids. Imagine modern men building such things with no mechanical equipment and you see what I mean.

So, by food processing you mean recent developments in handlinig/marketing food (like processed cheese). Care to explain why then people live longer now then they did 200 years ago?

I don't see how moden people could be any less capable of building the pyramids without mechanical means then those who lived 3000 years ago.

JustifiedByFaith said:
undertow said:

Yeah, that oughta tack on at least another 800 years :lol:

what i dont understand, is why people in foreighn lands, aboriginies, and people like that, never lived for hundreds of years, with the lack of purified foods and such..

possibly because thats sorta, Balogna?

I agree with ya on that one peace4all. Just seems kinda strange how with all the medical advancements in society, reaching 100 years is still a miracle.

I thought that this might interest you:
After the flood of Noah's time, the lifespan of people became shorter and shorter.
I believe a study of Scripture will show that sin has something to do with it. But then that makes me wonder how recent generations ever made it past being teenagers.

Man did not eat meat until Genesis 9:3. After the fall, a gradual decline took place, Living longer was also fulfilling Gods command to subdue the earth and those people were really putting out some kids. But by the time we got up to Moses, people were not living past 120.
After the flood the earth was completely different than the earth before. There were widespread global differences. These would include changes in the climate, composition of the atmosphere, hydrologic cycle, geologic features, cosmic radiation reaching the earth, ozone concentration, ultra violet light, background radiation, genetics, diet, and a host of other subtle and/or profound chemical and physiological changes. These changes caused a rapid decline of the longevity of post flood humanity.

Lewis W said:
After the flood the earth was completely different than the earth before. There were widespread global differences. These would include changes in the climate, composition of the atmosphere, hydrologic cycle, geologic features, cosmic radiation reaching the earth, ozone concentration, ultra violet light, background radiation, genetics, diet, and a host of other subtle and/or profound chemical and physiological changes. These changes caused a rapid decline of the longevity of post flood humanity.

Gen 2:5 ... for the LORD God had not caused it to rain upon the earth...

another pre-flood observation.

yet lewis, we could put a human into a sealed room with the healthiest of all conditiosn available, and they woudl NEVER live to past 106 or so, The human body just can't do it.

peace4all said:
yet lewis, we could put a human into a sealed room with the healthiest of all conditiosn available, and they woudl NEVER live to past 106 or so, The human body just can't do it.
Yeah theses days you are not going to live much past 106.

Genesis 6:3 (King James Version)
3And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.

In other words that is now the limit of man.

except

Jeanne Calment

as well as tons of others who claim that they are 120+ however, exact record keepign in teh 1870's and 80's wasn't good enough to accurately have it correct.

Because Adam and Eve were made by God, they were perfect until they sinned. This also means perfect in their gene pool. Which also is the reason they were able to marry brother and sister.

But as sin currupted the body, breaking it down unto death. The gene pool started to become defective. So as time went one, God told man not to marry so close related for He knew there would be problems.

It is now estimated that we have some where between 1500-3500 defective genes in our gene pool. When we marry to close, the chance that we will have the same defetive gene, will rise greatly. When there is supposed to be a dominate gene, and both parents gene (in the same area) is defective. That gene gets passed on, and the child ends up with a genetic defect.

The defective genes also lessons our lives, in years, because of different health problems and deseases. So the further back in time you go, the less defects in the genes exist. And as you get real close to God's creation of man, your as close as you'll get to man being perfect upon the earth.

The perfect example is when you compare two cars. You take the best longest lasting car ever made. And that would be Adam and Eve. Then you take one of the worse cars (yugo), and you have where we are at because of what sin has done to us through time. And because we are like yugos, we last less than 1/4 the time of the best car ever made (Adam, Eve).

ikester7579 said:
Because Adam and Eve were made by God, they were perfect until they sinned. This also means perfect in their gene pool. Which also is the reason they were able to marry brother and sister.

But as sin currupted the body, breaking it down unto death. The gene pool started to become defective. So as time went one, God told man not to marry so close related for He knew there would be problems.

It is now estimated that we have some where between 1500-3500 defective genes in our gene pool. When we marry to close, the chance that we will have the same defetive gene, will rise greatly. When there is supposed to be a dominate gene, and both parents gene (in the same area) is defective. That gene gets passed on, and the child ends up with a genetic defect.

The defective genes also lessons our lives, in years, because of different health problems and deseases. So the further back in time you go, the less defects in the genes exist. And as you get real close to God's creation of man, your as close as you'll get to man being perfect upon the earth.

The perfect example is when you compare two cars. You take the best longest lasting car ever made. And that would be Adam and Eve. Then you take one of the worse cars (yugo), and you have where we are at because of what sin has done to us through time. And because we are like yugos, we last less than 1/4 the time of the best car ever made (Adam, Eve).
And your post is right.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back