Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

[_ Old Earth _] Bible characters living for hundreds of years

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
ikester7579 said:
Because Adam and Eve were made by God, they were perfect until they sinned. This also means perfect in their gene pool. Which also is the reason they were able to marry brother and sister....
But we lived near a thousand years for many many centuries after Adam were not perfect.

Yep, I have an elven friend who's 140 years old, as of today.

I'm a bit surprised that nobody has suggested the view that the "persons" living to hundreds of years in the OT were actually Patriarchal geneological lineages of first born (male) sons/ offspring, and explicitly NOT single persons.

btw - anybody ever wondered why women do not seem to be included in these incredible lifespan records??

maranatha_man said:
I'm a bit surprised that nobody has suggested the view that the "persons" living to hundreds of years in the OT were actually Patriarchal geneological lineages of first born (male) sons/ offspring, and explicitly NOT single persons.

btw - anybody ever wondered why women do not seem to be included in these incredible lifespan records??

Having a lot of children pulls upon the body, which takes it's toll over the years on women. And because a tribe had to be large in size to survive an attack from another tribe., having as many children as possible was desired.

ikester7579 said:
Having a lot of children pulls upon the body, which takes it's toll over the years on women. And because a tribe had to be large in size to survive an attack from another tribe., having as many children as possible was desired.
...but what is desired does not always come to pass. How about women who successfuly avoided ever having children??

I think this is more of a convenient "good sounding" explanation (opinion) than based upon what's known of the early Hebraic traditions, which have always been Patriarchal, with a very heavy emphasis upon geneology.

There is even a remnant of this same mechanism in place today:

" John Miller" >-------John Miller Jr. (II) >----------John Miller III >--------John Miller IV....and so on...until you have a single entity "John Miller" that has existed (geneologically antways) for some 300+ or so years!!...and may even keep on going! :wink:

Same thing with what your reading in the OT ages.

Disclaimer: this is not my own pet theory btw - it's fairly commonly understood (or so I thought) by Hebraic & theology scholars.

Lewis

Genesis 6:3 (King James Version)
3And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.

so anyoen that lives 120+ disproves the bible, or atleast genesis..

peace4all said:
Lewis

Genesis 6:3 (King James Version)
3And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.

so anyoen that lives 120+ disproves the bible, or atleast genesis..

Hmmm. I always took that verse to mean that it would be a hundred and twenty years from that point until judgment would come and the flood would begin.

1 When men began to increase in number on the earth and daughters were born to them, 2 the sons of God saw that the daughters of men were beautiful, and they married any of them they chose. 3 Then the LORD said, "My Spirit will not contend with [a] man forever, for he is mortal ; his days will be a hundred and twenty years."

it seems to clearly state that God will not allow anyone to again, live longer than 120 years.
I guess u could interpret it as god gave noah 120 years to build the ark but onyl 7 to gather up the animals.

This is even if u beleive that the flood actually occured, or could have occured, with the magic cramming of all the animals + food on a tiny wooden boat, the magical appearance of enough rain to flood the entire earth, yet not destroy it or the atmosphere..

peace4all said:
it seems to clearly state that God will not allow anyone to again, live longer than 120 years.

These folks were all after the flood:
Gen 11:11 And Shem lived after he begat Arphaxad five hundred years...
Gen 11:13 And Arphaxad lived after he begat Salah four hundred and three years...
Gen 11:15 And Salah lived after he begat Eber four hundred and three years...
Gen 25:7 And these [are] the days of the years of Abraham's life which he lived, an hundred threescore and fifteen years.
Gen 47:28 ...so the whole age of Jacob was an hundred forty and seven years.
Num 33:39 And Aaron [was] an hundred and twenty and three years old when he died ...

and so on...

peace4all said:
This is even if u beleive that the flood actually occured, or could have occured, with the magic cramming of all the animals + food on a tiny wooden boat, the magical appearance of enough rain to flood the entire earth, yet not destroy it or the atmosphere..

Yes I believe that the flood actually occurred. I also believe that the animals were not crammed. God gave clear instructions to Noah on how to build the ark. (Not all that tiny~ 120 years in the making tells me it may be a bit bigger than you think)
And it did change the atmosphere. The fountains of the great deep broken up and the windows of heaven were opened. For the record, it had never rained before the flood, so obviously there were no rainbows before either.

Gen 2:5 ... for the LORD God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, ...

Gen 7:11 In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, in the second month, the seventeenth day of the month, the same day were all the fountains of the great deep broken up, and the windows of heaven were opened.
sheep.gif

maranatha_man said:
ikester7579 said:
...but what is desired does not always come to pass. How about women who successfuly avoided ever having children??

I think this is more of a convenient "good sounding" explanation (opinion) than based upon what's known of the early Hebraic traditions, which have always been Patriarchal, with a very heavy emphasis upon geneology.

There is even a remnant of this same mechanism in place today:

" John Miller" >-------John Miller Jr. (II) >----------John Miller III >--------John Miller IV....and so on...until you have a single entity "John Miller" that has existed (geneologically antways) for some 300+ or so years!!...and may even keep on going! :wink:

Same thing with what your reading in the OT ages.

Disclaimer: this is not my own pet theory btw - it's fairly commonly understood (or so I thought) by Hebraic & theology scholars.

So what exactly is your complaint? I really don't understand, except I see an attempt to make an endless debate in which no answer will ever be good enough. Sound about right?

hmmm....golly I don't know. Who's complaining?? :-? No- it does'nt sound right. Why would "endless" debate (erm...make that "discussion") be necessary and who (?) determines what's "good enough"??

Anyhoo....Back on topic: My major point being that extended (patriarchal) geneologies is a far more reliable explanation than rather far-out, wacky unsupportable conjecture about supposed pre-flood environmental conditions, human (biological?)"sin" condition, proposed genetic purity, miracle canopy theory, or any others, causing a whopping(!) 300 -900% percent change in biological lifespans among humans over just a very few millenia. A phenomenon, that has NEVER been documented or observed in any similar organisms, or even supported in theoretical frameworks. I'm not really singleing <you> out, specifically, quite a few others on this thread seem to be resorting to it.

maranatha_man said:
hmmm....golly I don't know. Who's complaining?? :-? No- it does'nt sound right. Why would "endless" debate (erm...make that "discussion") be necessary and who (?) determines what's "good enough"??

Anyhoo....Back on topic: My major point being that extended (patriarchal) geneologies is a far more reliable explanation than rather far-out, wacky unsupportable conjecture about supposed pre-flood environmental conditions, human (biological?)"sin" condition, proposed genetic purity, miracle canopy theory, or any others, causing a whopping(!) 300 -900% percent change in biological lifespans among humans over just a very few millenia. A phenomenon, that has NEVER been documented or observed in any similar organisms, or even supported in theoretical frameworks. I'm not really singleing <you> out, specifically, quite a few others on this thread seem to be resorting to it.

I am curious on what type of answer you want. Because the only evidence is in God's word. It's already clear you believe it's full of lies. So if you chose not to believe what is written, what more could we provide you?

ikester7579 said:
I am curious on what type of answer you want. Because the only evidence is in God's word. It's already clear you believe it's full of lies. So if you chose not to believe what is written, what more could we provide you?
<LOL!>Well, I guess when all else fails, just find some excuse to trundle-out the "L"-word (lies! lie!) for dramatic effect . Sheesh. :roll:

I'm not really wanting any type of answer, but was offering what I take to be a thoroughly valid explanation for OT ages.

Please cite where I have made the assertion that "the Bible is full of lies" What a crock - but I suppose it's a real superiority-boost to your ego to believe or claim that I have, right?

I would have no possible way of knowing whether authors, writing more than 3000 years ago were "lying" or not gimme a break, please! But I suppose YOU find it very entertaining, tho :wink:

It's much more than "believing" the text, but of understanding the historical context, and traditions surrounding it.

btw - I notice you claim what is written (present tense) which is a little strange :roll:

btw - I have yet to see any valid, working refutation of the geneological procession explanation, even the modern counterpart example that I used.

Open to any suggestions by all means !! 8-)

ikester7579 said:
btw - I notice you claim what is written (present tense) which is a little strange :roll:

God is the alpha and omega. Past or present does not matter.

Many believe that during the flood of Noah, God tilted the earth at an angle by 28% which then gave us our seasons. The atmosphere did change also. Could this be a cause of shorter life? Maybe! Those same people who believe this, also believe that when Christ comes back to set up His Kingdom here on earth and return it back to paradise He will re-tilt the earth back to the original state. It makes since but not enough evidence to prove it causes shorter life span.

Please cite where I have made the assertion that "the Bible is full of lies" What a crock - but I suppose it's a real superiority-boost to your ego to believe or claim that I have, right?

I am sure that the admins and mods here do not want to see it get that personal. But then again, I knew you would take it to that level. After all we have debated before, remember? On more than one forum.

If I had known you were still here, I probably would not have come back. Your hate for God vs. my love for Him will always have us clashing.

If this keeps going into a more personal level, I'll be the mature one and put you on my ignore list. Of course you will have some demeaning words to say about that, it is expected.

atonement said:
It makes since but not enough evidence to prove it causes shorter life span.

I know that I am a bit simple. But the fact that lifespans got shorter and shorter after the flood is enough proof for me that it caused shorter life spans.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back