Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

[_ Old Earth _] Bible characters living for hundreds of years

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
ikester7579 said:
"Your hate for God" vs. my love for Him will always have us clashing.
Oh yeah, right- another laugher.:roll: Since you keep piling on the silly accusations You should cite some evidence to support my claiming to "hate God" etc...

I think you're the first one to have made the "personal"(?) flame-claim about "Bible full of lies", which I never said....and oh yeah - "You're the good guy- I'm the bad guy". ...and.<YOU'RE> the "mature" one, right. :roll:

oh well, anyways...

duel.gif

Would you guys mind taking your personal stuff to pm and stay on topic in the thread please?

Great point!! I'm just waiting for some input.

Incidentally...there IS one (1) instance of a female ("Sarah") supposedly attaining an age of 127 years, but then again it’s possible to suggest that Sarah was in fact a man, and there's been some translation problems (IMHO).

atonement said:
Many believe that during the flood of Noah, God tilted the earth at an angle by 28% which then gave us our seasons. The atmosphere did change also. Could this be a cause of shorter life? Maybe! Those same people who believe this, also believe that when Christ comes back to set up His Kingdom here on earth and return it back to paradise He will re-tilt the earth back to the original state. It makes since but not enough evidence to prove it causes shorter life span.
An "angle" of 28 percent?? I believe the figure is 23 degrees. ....28% of 360 degrees would be around 100 degrees.

...and the really big problem those promoting this type of thing, and then claiming some sort of factual authority with it is by what process or method does the God as a person(correct?) (human form?) sucessfully just "tilt the entire(!) earth"?? :o

There's where it gets interesting.

maranatha_man said:
...by what process or method does the God as a person(correct?) (human form?) sucessfully just "tilt the entire(!) earth"?? :o

I'm thinkin if He created it in the first place, rearranging it should not create a problem. If He follows His usual pattern of doing things, He will just say so.
Gen 1:3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
Gen 1:6 And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.
Gen 1:9 And God said ... and it was so.
Gen 1:11 And God said ... and it was so.
Gen 1:20 And God said ...
Gen 2:18 And the LORD God said..

Gabbylittleangel said:
maranatha_man said:
...by what process or method does the God as a person(correct?) (human form?) sucessfully just "tilt the entire(!) earth"?? :o

I'm thinkin if He created it in the first place, rearranging it should not create a problem. If He follows His usual pattern of doing things, He will just say so.
Gen 1:6 And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.
"He will just say so"
Well...ya see...you've just (unknowingly,maybe) limited it to a written or oral form ONLY.

It's possible to "say" or have anything in the form of "it is written"...and it exists as that, and that alone.....a written text. Not a verifiable physical event or action.

This is the biggest problem with (so-called) Biblical literalism as well as a lot of Creationist thinking.

Allowing oneself to be deceived by the hallucination of the written word.

maranatha_man said:
"He will just say so"
Well...ya see...you've just (unknowingly,maybe) limited it to a written or oral form ONLY.
Na. I don't limit the Almighty. How did you get that out of my post?

Gabbylittleangel said:

When, where, and how did I limit anything?

I am a Christian. I believe God created the heavens and the earth. I believe in Jesus Christ, who was crucified for my sin and rose again on the third day. I am born again, and filled with His Holy Spirit. I have a relationship with God. I know the power of His word ~ both written and spoken. I know His love, His providence and I also know that He is a God of justice.

What exactly is it that you believe? :-?

Gabbylittleangel said:
maranatha_man said:
"He will just say so"
Na. I don't limit the Almighty. How did you get that out of my post?
Because that is what you claimed. It may not have been what you "thought" you were saying, but inadvertently you did limit this claim to a written/text form only. :wink:

Gabbylittleangel said:

When, where, and how did I limit anything?
No, it's quite likely that you personally did'nt intend to limit anything, but because of the inherent limitations of what you're claiming ("He will just say so")....you did.
Gabbylittleangel said:
I am a Christian. I believe God created the heavens and the earth. I believe in Jesus Christ, who was crucified for my sin and rose again on the third day. I am born again, and filled with His Holy Spirit. I have a relationship with God. I know the power of His word ~ both written and spoken. I know His love, His providence and I also know that He is a God of justice.
Well, yeah...I guess when all else fails - start swearing oaths :-? that's fine if you want to.
Gabbylittleangel said:
What exactly is it that you believe? :-?
Too vague. Concerning what specifically??

When I wrote that, I was not thinking someone would turn it into a debate and slander someone's Christian views. if one can come up with a better answer for the shorter life span I'm all ears. But, until then please refrain from shrewd remarks about anyone's views / opinions or belief.

Hi there!
1.) "Debate" is not what really occurs in open forums, such as this. :biggrin
2.) "Christian views" cannot, by law, come under the definition of "slander", simply if they are debunked, challenged, or refuted.
3.) Is there, really, a "shorter lifespan"???...or has it been approximately the same all along?? ( see my previous suggestions to this dilemma)

I still think that humans can't live past 120 years, without it being a miracle...

But don't forget that droids can stay powered for many years on their power cell packs...

Maybe Adam and all of the rest were droids? :robot:

maranatha_man said:
ikester7579 said:
"Your hate for God" vs. my love for Him will always have us clashing.
Oh yeah, right- another laugher.:roll: Since you keep piling on the silly accusations You should cite some evidence to support my claiming to "hate God" etc...

I think you're the first one to have made the "personal"(?) flame-claim about "Bible full of lies", which I never said....and oh yeah - "You're the good guy- I'm the bad guy". ...and.<YOU'RE> the "mature" one, right. :roll:

oh well, anyways...

Who is the one who is scoffing at everything written in God's word? Not me. So tell me, which part of God's word do you believe? Only the parts that do not conflict with your evolution theory? And the parts that do not say: God did it? The rest is ok, correct?

Gabbylittleangel said:

Every time that it says: God said... and it was so. Translates into something not happening naturally, so God had to intervene to make it so.

Example: How did the light from the furtherest star reach earth in 6,000 years? Answer:

15 And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.

God being the Creator of the physical laws that we observe, made it clear that the lights (stars) put into space (heaven or realm) would not shine upon the earth naturally. But it is stated that the lights purpose was to shine upon the earth. So to make it happen, God had to intervene (and it was so). But here's the neat thing.

Because "natural light" travel is a measurement of time. As the light from the created object was made to shine upon the earth. The object producing the light aged according to how far away it was. And how far it's light was stretched to shine upon the earth.

This is why the stars date exactly to their distance from us, and not back to it's supposed origins (Big Bang).

maranatha_man said:

I guess if you knew how the earth is held at it's tilt, you would know the answer. The moons orbit holds the earth at it's tilt. So when the moon was created, the earth tilted.

Dalen Naskiel said:
I still think that humans can't live past 120 years, without it being a miracle...

But don't forget that droids can stay powered for many years on their power cell packs...

Maybe Adam and all of the rest were droids? :robot:

Do you believe what is written? Or is it fables and parables and myths etc.....

Maybe Adam and all of the rest were droids?

That's a thought, but one I won't give much thought into

ikester7579 said:
Who is the one who is scoffing at everything written in God's word? Not me. So tell me, which part of God's word do you believe? Only the parts that do not conflict with your evolution theory? And the parts that do not say: God did it? The rest is ok, correct?
"Scoffing at everything written in God's word" would probably be an essay about 50,000 words in length. <BAP!>Reality check time. But then again I'm quite positive that you consider stuff that YOU type on internet message boards to be "God's word", correct? is that what You mean?? :wink:

"So tell me, which part of God's word do you believe?"
Funny, but I have never sat down and divided it into "parts" to make a determination like this.

Only the parts that do not conflict with your evolution theory?
Good grief - here we go again!! Ikester seriously, are you being compensated (financially or whatever?) to type this nonsense on internet message boards??? "I" personally do not have an "evolution theory" and have never conducted any study or whatever into determining a relationship between evolutionary biology and the Bible. Sheesh :roll: btw - this line of guilt-baiting does not upset, or aggravate me in the least - I'm just offering commentary that I see it to be pointless, and monumentally DUMB.

"And the parts that do not say: God did it? The rest is ok, correct?
1.) I'm not aware of any parts of the Bible "saying" anything, or speaking.
2.) I'm not aware of the phrase "God did it" appearing anywhere in the Bible, but am always open to new info (btw - I'm referring to the verbatim phrase itself, ok?) :wink:

ikester7579 said:
maranatha_man said:

I guess if you knew how the earth is held at it's tilt, you would know the answer. The moons orbit holds the earth at it's tilt. So when the moon was created, the earth tilted.
Basically wrong.

The wobble, tilt, or gyroscopic precession (an easily testable property of physics) of the Earth is the result of numerous factors, NOT exclusively the moon.

Gravitational effects from the orbits of other planets, the sun, as well as moon are factors, as are ancient meteor strikes, ocean-related differences in hydraulic pressure, dynamic spatial changes between orbiting bodies and more...
But also "internal" factors such as polar cap cycles and the inherent shape (not completely spherical; equatorial bulge) of the Earth are also factors.
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/env99/env202.htm
Here's info citing recent work on the effect of the ocean mass on Earth's wobble

maranatha_man said:
ikester7579 said:
Gabbylittleangel said:
[quote="maranatha_man":1e3d5]...by what process or method does the God as a person(correct?) (human form?) sucessfully just "tilt the entire(!) earth"?? :o

Basically wrong.

The wobble, tilt, or gyroscopic precession (an easily testable property of physics) of the Earth is the result of numerous factors, NOT exclusively the moon.

Gravitational effects from the orbits of other planets, the sun, as well as moon are factors, as are ancient meteor strikes, ocean-related differences in hydraulic pressure, dynamic spatial changes between orbiting bodies and more...
But also "internal" factors such as polar cap cycles and the inherent shape (not completely spherical; equatorial bulge) of the Earth are also factors.
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/env99/env202.htm
Here's info citing recent work on the effect of the ocean mass on Earth's wobble

....unfortunately...now that this is a little more complicated, than the original easy one-source solution - it's creationist <boo-hoo> time about "hating God's word" and "lies" and whatnot?? :roll:....I mean, sad, but the past record is just a little overwhelming. :-?
[/quote:1e3d5]

Your quote in a quote in a quote thing put ikesters words in my mouth.

looks better now?? :oops:

<tee-hee> I edited out that last part - I wanna let it go ahead & happen just for laffs :-D

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back