Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Blessing of Election !

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

brightfame52

Calvinism Overseer
Calvinism Overseer
Eph 1:4-7

4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,

6 To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.

7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;

Hence one of the blessings of election in Christ before the foundation of the world, it is that the chosen ones have been accepted of the Father, hence in a accepted justified state with God the Father; And this again before the foundation of the world, and before Faith in time. God is well pleased with their persons, according as He chose them in Christ before the foundation, and as Paul wrote to the Corinthian Church 1 Cor 1:30

30 But of him [God the Father] are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:

Eph 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:

Even when we were laden with such great sin falling away from being holy and blameless, God sits patiently waiting for all to return back to Him before the door of salvation is closed forever when Christ returns. 2Peter 3:9

Confirm your calling and election as you examine yourselves that you are truly walking worthy of the promises of God that leads to His eternal kingdom.

2Pe 1:3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
2Pe 1:4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.
2Pe 1:5 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
2Pe 1:6 And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;
2Pe 1:7 And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.
2Pe 1:8 For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
2Pe 1:9 But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.
2Pe 1:10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:
2Pe 1:11 For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

Confirm your calling and election as you examine yourselves that you are truly walking worthy of the promises of God that leads to His eternal kingdom.

Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure, for if you do these things you will never stumble; for so an entrance will be supplied to you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. 2 Peter 1:10-11

Amen.

Somehow the word election has come to mean automatically and irreversible saved,

Therefore I endure all things for the sake of the elect, that they also may obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.
2 Timothy 2:10

JLB

4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,

6 To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.

7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;

Hence one of the blessings of election in Christ before the foundation of the world, it is that the chosen ones have been accepted of the Father, hence in a accepted justified state with God the Father; And this again before the foundation of the world, and before Faith in time. God is well pleased with their persons, according as He chose them in Christ before the foundation, and as Paul wrote to the Corinthian Church 1 Cor 1:30

30 But of him [God the Father] are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:
The amazing part is that God chose us even though we were no different than any of the lost, since our lives depicted the very same sinfulness described in Rom. 3:10-18. Therefore, God's choosing us had nothing to do with any perceived goodness, wisdom, knowledge, or attitude in us, but only by the good pleasure of His own will, which He planned before we existed. This makes His grace truly unmerited. He did not choose us because we correctly responded, but we responded to Him because He chose us, since we were born of Him through the power of the Spirit when the gospel was preached to us (Eph. 2:5-10). And it is by means of this gift of salvation in which we believed that He shows us that we are accepted (1 Jn. 5:1).

Elect, chosen appoint, predestination​

It is God who sovereignly chooses the elect, so that Paul says, "He has chosen you," and not "He has approved of your choice." If God does little more than accept our choice, then he does not choose us in any real sense of the term. But Jesus says, "You did not choose me, but I chose you" (John 15:16). Vincent Cheung – Ultimate Questions
Billions have and never will hear of Christ. It is not possible for them to chose to believe/chose God.
Billions have died before they could even talk. It is not possible for them to chose God.
  1. Who does God elect and why: 1 Corinthians 1:26 Brothers, think of what you were when you were called [effectual call]. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. 27 But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. 28 He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things--and the things that are not--to nullify the things that are, 29 so that no one may boast before him. 30 It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God--that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption.
  2. Ephesians 1:4 even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love 5 He predestined [predetermined] us for adoption as sons
  3. Psalm 65:4 Blessed is the one whom You choose and bring near to dwell in Your courts. We will be filled with the goodness of Your house, Your holy temple.
  4. Psalm 139:16 Your eyes have seen my unformed substance; And in Your book were all written
    The days that were appointed for me, When as yet there was not one of them [even taking shape].
  5. John 6:63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh is no help at all. ... 65 And he said, “This [referring to “some of you fail to believe in verse 64] is why I told you that no one can come to me unless it is granted [that is, unless he is enabled to do so] him by the Father.”
  6. Etc. Etc. Etc.
  • If God does not chose then: He is mutable, for His actions depends on our choices. We therefore control God to a degree and God therefore is not the Supreme being in all things
  • If God does not chose then: God shares his glory for we, independent of God's control, do the correct thing and have earned our salvation via God's gift that has a catch/requirement to it.
  • If God does not chose then: God is not all knowing as He must learn whom He is forced to adopt from those He created. (Aside: It is not possible to learn something from nothing, and nothing is what we were before the foundation of the earth when God chose the elect)
  • If God does not chose then: Creation cannot be the most wise possibility because the destiny of God's creation is, to a degree, determined by those that have been created
  • etc. etc. etc. So goes the philosophy of those whom put stress a 'God and man centered' rather than a 'God only centered' theology

tdidymas

The amazing part is that God chose us even though we were no different than any of the lost, since our lives depicted the very same sinfulness described in Rom. 3:10-18. Therefore, God's choosing us had nothing to do with any perceived goodness, wisdom, knowledge, or attitude in us,

Eactly, the elect like others were children of wrath Eph 2:3

3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.

. This makes His grace truly unmerited. He did not choose us because we correctly responded, but we responded to Him because He chose us, since we were born of Him through the power of the Spirit when the gospel was preached to us (Eph. 2:5-10).

Absolutely correct, because the natural receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God 1 Cor 2:14

And it is by means of this gift of salvation in which we believed that He shows us that we are accepted (1 Jn. 5:1).

Amen since this verse shows us that a person believes because they had been born of God, which corresponds to Johns theolgy in Jn 1:12-13

12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

Simply put the reason why some received Him and believed on His Name, was because they had been born of God.

I look at what Jesus went through in order to save me and I am amazed at his love and grace for me.

He did that so I might be reconciled to God, adopted into his family, to be an heir along with Jesus.

Wow.

Then people tell me that Jesus does not really love me, that he does not care because having saved me he pays no further attention to me.
If I wander away he pays me no attention, I can loose my salvation and he does not care.

Sorry but I do not believe those who say a Christian can loose his salvation.
I look at the cross and see a God who cares and who will always care for those who are his.

Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure, for if you do these things you will never stumble; for so an entrance will be supplied to you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. 2 Peter 1:10-11

Amen.

Somehow the word election has come to mean automatically and irreversible saved,

Therefore I endure all things for the sake of the elect, that they also may obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.

JLB
I see the word "elect" as those who are of Christ by God's grace through faith to all who will believe, even before the foundation of the world that we should be holy and without blame.

The peril of denying election !

When men deny Sovereign Particular, and unconditional election, which the bible clearly teaches, we deny God, or attempt to deny Him His absolute right to rule and govern His World, we deny that His Divine Purpose and Will is Supreme which the bible also teaches. Dan 4:35

35 And all the inhabitants of the earth are reputed as nothing: and he doeth according to his will in the army of heaven, and among the inhabitants of the earth: and none can stay his hand, or say unto him, What doest thou?

Eph 1:11

In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:

This denial of election tends to rob God of His Supremacy of authority or rule as He deems fit ! Matt 20:15

Is it not lawful for me to do what I will with mine own? Is thine eye evil, because I am good?

What does this mean?
What it says." When men deny Sovereign Particular, and unconditional election,"

Sovereign means:

a monarch; a king, queen, or other supreme ruler.
a person who has supreme power or authority.
SEE MORE
adjective
belonging to or characteristic of a sovereign or sovereign authority; royal.
having supreme rank, power, or authority.
supreme; preeminent; indisputable:a sovereign right.
greatest in degree; utmost or extreme.

Particular means:

of or relating to a single or specific person, thing, group, class, occasion, etc., rather than to others or all; special rather than general:

What it says." When men deny Sovereign Particular, and unconditional election,"

Sovereign means:

a monarch; a king, queen, or other supreme ruler.
a person who has supreme power or authority.
SEE MORE
adjective
belonging to or characteristic of a sovereign or sovereign authority; royal.
having supreme rank, power, or authority.
supreme; preeminent; indisputable:a sovereign right.
greatest in degree; utmost or extreme.

Particular means:

of or relating to a single or specific person, thing, group, class, occasion, etc., rather than to others or all; special rather than general:
Thank you for your explanation.

God does not elect who will be saved or who will be cast into the lake of fire as God is no respecter of person, but will be the final judge in the end of days. Who God does elect are those He knows are His own by the intents of their hearts.

The difference between unconditional election and [conditional election] in scripture. (all remarks in blue are my editing to show how conditional election works according to its proponents.)
  1. Psalm 65:4 Blessed is the one whom You choose [because he choose You] and bring near to dwell in Your courts.
  2. Matthew 11:27 All things have been entrusted and delivered to Me by My Father; and no one fully knows and accurately understands the Son except the Father, and no one fully knows and accurately understands the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son deliberately wills to make Him known [because they choose Him].
  3. Matthew 20:1-16 … 16 So the last shall be first, and the first last: for many be called, but few chosen [as I chose those by picking those the chose me].
  4. Matthew 22:14 For many are called (invited, summoned), but few are chosen [as I chose those by picking those the chose Me].”
  5. Luke 12:32 "Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has chosen gladly to give you the kingdom [on condition you chose Him].
  6. John 6:37 All that the Father gives Me will come to Me [because they chose Him], and the one who comes to Me I will certainly not cast out [because they chose Me].
  7. John 6:39 And this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me [on condition you chose Him], but raise it up on the last day.
  8. John 6:63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh is no help at all [except it is up to you to chose Christ to save yourself].
  9. John 1:13 who were born, not of blood [natural conception], nor of the will of the flesh [physical impulse], nor of the will of man [not sure how to fill this gap], but of God [that is, a divine and supernatural birth—they are born of God—spiritually transformed, renewed, sanctified].
  10. John 15:16 You did not choose me [not sure how to fill this gap], but I [Jesus] chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you
  11. Acts 17:26 "And He made from one, every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined their appointed times [but not their decision to chose Him], and the boundaries of their habitation."
  12. Romans 9:11 And the children were yet unborn and had so far done nothing either good or evil. Even so, in order further to carry out God’s purpose of selection (election, choice), which depends not on works or what men can do, but on Him Who calls [them] [not sure how to unscramble this to fit conditional election]
  13. Romans 16:13 Greet Rufus, chosen in the Lord [because He chose Him];
  14. Galatians 1:15 But when God, who had chosen me [because I chose Him] and set me apart before I was born, and called me through His grace [and my choosing Him], was pleased 16 to reveal His Son in me
  15. Ephesians 1:4 even as he chose us in him [because we chose Him] before the foundation of the world [when we didn't exist], that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love 5 He predestined us [because they chose Him] for adoption [we actually adopted Him] as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will [which was to be lead by our will], 6 to the praise of His glorious grace [and our independent decision to chose Him] and favor, which He so freely bestowed [on condition we chose Him] on us in the Beloved [His Son, Jesus Christ].
  16. Ephesians 1:11 In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will [in conjunction with our will to chose Him]

I could do another 20+ examples ... you get the point

.... to the billions of infants that died in the birthing process ... I don't know how proponents of "conditional election" works as infants cannot chose.

Thank you for your explanation.

God does not elect who will be saved or who will be cast into the lake of fire as God is no respecter of person, but will be the final judge in the end of days. Who God does elect are those He knows are His own by the intents of their hearts.
The phrase you are using, "respecter of persons," is out of Biblical context. When that phrase is used, it means that God is not prejudiced according to nationality or race (Acts 10:34), since He accepts Gentiles as well as Jews.

But the way you are using it is opposite of what you apparently are trying to make it mean, which is a common mistake. If God is not a "respecter of persons," then He does not look to any person in His choice of election. He looks only to Himself, that is, His own will, since He respects no one in making that choice.

The only way we could ever be 'holy and without blame' is to be 'in Him'.

The only way we could ever be 'accepted in the beloved' is to be 'in Him'.

Even before mankind was fallen due to Adam's sin, God could only see us, the elect, as holy and without blame in Him. Jesus Christ.

Imputed righteousness.

Quantrill

I see the word "elect" as those who are of Christ by God's grace through faith to all who will believe, even before the foundation of the world that we should be holy and without blame.

I see that each passage must be taken within its context, to understand what the author is referring to.

Paul writing to Timothy here in second Timothy, we see that Paul desires that the “elect” would also obtain salvation.

This is my point, that we study and determined what the elect means in each passage, and not assume that “elect” means “automatically and irreversibly” saved.

God has not cast away His people whom He foreknew. Or do you not know what the Scripture says of Elijah, how he pleads with God against Israel, saying, “LORD, they have killed Your prophets and torn down Your altars, and I alone am left, and they seek my life”? But what does the divine response say to him? “I have reserved for Myself seven thousand men who have not bowed the knee to Baal.” Even so then, at this present time there is a remnant according to the election of grace. And if by grace, then it is no longer of works; otherwise grace is no longer grace. But if it is of works, it is no longer grace; otherwise work is no longer work.
What then? Israel has not obtained what it seeks; but the elect have obtained it, and the rest were blinded. Romans 11:2-7

Again, Paul refers to the elect as, not to all Jews in general but a remnant of those Jews who were faithful.

• I have reserved for Myself seven thousand men who have not bowed the knee to Baal.” Even so then, at this present time there is a remnant according to the election of grace.

Paul is associating the remnant according to the election of grace with those faithful 7000 who did not bend the knee to Baal in the days of Elijah.

The point I am making is “elect” has been twisted to mean chosen for salvation, while others are chosen for damnation.

Paul plainly states that his desire was for the elect to also obtain salvation, which tells us “elect” doesn’t refer to a people group who are automatically and irreversibly saved.

JLB

The phrase you are using, "respecter of persons," is out of Biblical context. When that phrase is used, it means that God is not prejudiced according to nationality or race (Acts 10:34), since He accepts Gentiles as well as Jews.

But the way you are using it is opposite of what you apparently are trying to make it mean, which is a common mistake. If God is not a "respecter of persons," then He does not look to any person in His choice of election. He looks only to Himself, that is, His own will, since He respects no one in making that choice.
Act 10:34 Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:
Act 10:35 But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.

To the Jew first and then to the Gentile to provoke the Jews to accept Christ Jesus as Lord and Savior, Romans 11:14. It makes no difference as in Jew or Gentile as God is no respecter of person, but giving grace to all who will accept it. God gives everyone a chance to repent and turn back to Him.

Very well stated !

If salvation includes choosing (election) of God by man … if each individual can freely decide; then why is salvation not evenly distributed amongst all nations, races, intelligences, etc. Rather, we see that salvation was almost exclusively to the Jew from Abraham to the cross, and to the lowly (1 Cor. 1:26-27), and currently to the western world.

Christianity by Country per Wikipedia.
Apparently, someone/something/whatever has His finger on the scale as the percentage of Christians in countries varies vastly. Statistically, this variance shows that the individuals of each nation are NOT freely choosing to believe in God solely on the basis of the individual. Someone and/or something outside the individual is determining their choices. Hmmmm, could it be that scripture is correct when it says in 50+ verses that God chooses/predestines/appoints/elects people? Hmmm .... :chin :chin :chin

Country Number Christian R.C. Protestant
23px-Flag_of_Algeria.svg.png
Algeria (details)
20,000-200,000[25] or 71,000 0.01%0.01%1%
23px-Flag_of_Somalia.svg.png
Somalia (details)
1,000[133]0.01%0.0002%0.01%
23px-Flag_of_Yemen.svg.png
Yemen (details)
25,000[158]-41,000[159]0.01%0.01%
23px-Flag_of_Afghanistan_%282013%E2%80%932021%29.svg.png
Afghanistan (details)
6,250/8,000[22]-30,0000.02%[23]
23px-Flag_of_Maldives.svg.png
Maldives (details)
3000.08%
23px-Flag_of_Tunisia.svg.png
Tunisia (details)
50,000[147]0.1%0.06%
23px-Flag_of_Mauritania.svg.png
Mauritania (details)
5,0000.14%
23px-Flag_of_Turkey.svg.png
Turkey (details)
120,000[148]-310,000[149]0.2%
23px-Flag_of_Bangladesh.svg.png
Bangladesh (details)
420,0000.4%[39]0.4%
23px-Flag_of_Iran.svg.png
Iran (details)
380,000[80]0.4%0.4%
18px-Flag_of_Niger.svg.png

. . .

23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png
Sweden (details)
6,577,47864.3%[141]1.2%63.1%
23px-Flag_of_Fiji.svg.png
Fiji (details)
540,00064.4%8.9%55.5%
23px-Flag_of_Bermuda.svg.png
Bermuda (details)
44,00064.7%15%50%
23px-Flag_of_Belgium_%28civil%29.svg.png
Belgium (details)
6,860,00065%[42]58%[42]7%[42]
. . .
23px-Flag_of_Greece.svg.png
Greece (details)
10,000,00093%[72]<1%[72]97.3%
23px-Flag_of_Rwanda.svg.png
Rwanda (details)
9,619,00093.6%56.9%26%
23px-Flag_of_the_British_Virgin_Islands.svg.png
British Virgin Islands (details)
23,00094.0%9%85%
23px-Flag_of_Ecuador.svg.png
Ecuador (details)
14,099,00094.0%74%20%
23px-Flag_of_the_Falkland_Islands.svg.png
Falkland Islands (details)
3,00094.3%94%

If salvation includes choosing (election) of God by man … if each individual can freely decide; then why is salvation not evenly distributed amongst all nations, races, intelligences, etc. Rather, we see that salvation was almost exclusively to the Jew from Abraham to the cross, and to the lowly (1 Cor. 1:26-27), and currently to the western world.

Christianity by Country per Wikipedia.
Apparently, someone/something/whatever has His finger on the scale as the percentage of Christians in countries varies vastly. Statistically, this variance shows that the individuals of each nation are NOT freely choosing to believe in God solely on the basis of the individual. Someone and/or something outside the individual is determining their choices. Hmmmm, could it be that scripture is correct when it says in 50+ verses that God chooses/predestines/appoints/elects people? Hmmm .... :chin :chin :chin

Country Number Christian R.C. Protestant
23px-Flag_of_Algeria.svg.png
Algeria (details)
20,000-200,000[25] or 71,0000.01%0.01%1%
23px-Flag_of_Somalia.svg.png
Somalia (details)
1,000[133]0.01%0.0002%0.01%
23px-Flag_of_Yemen.svg.png
Yemen (details)
25,000[158]-41,000[159]0.01%0.01%
23px-Flag_of_Afghanistan_%282013%E2%80%932021%29.svg.png
Afghanistan (details)
6,250/8,000[22]-30,0000.02%[23]
23px-Flag_of_Maldives.svg.png
Maldives (details)
3000.08%
23px-Flag_of_Tunisia.svg.png
Tunisia (details)
50,000[147]0.1%0.06%
23px-Flag_of_Mauritania.svg.png
Mauritania (details)
5,0000.14%
23px-Flag_of_Turkey.svg.png
Turkey (details)
120,000[148]-310,000[149]0.2%
23px-Flag_of_Bangladesh.svg.png
Bangladesh (details)
420,0000.4%[39]0.4%
23px-Flag_of_Iran.svg.png
Iran (details)
380,000[80]0.4%0.4%
18px-Flag_of_Niger.svg.png

. . .

23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png
Sweden (details)
6,577,47864.3%[141]1.2%63.1%
23px-Flag_of_Fiji.svg.png
Fiji (details)
540,00064.4%8.9%55.5%
23px-Flag_of_Bermuda.svg.png
Bermuda (details)
44,00064.7%15%50%
23px-Flag_of_Belgium_%28civil%29.svg.png
Belgium (details)
6,860,00065%[42]58%[42]7%[42]
. . .
23px-Flag_of_Greece.svg.png
Greece (details)
10,000,00093%[72]<1%[72]97.3%
23px-Flag_of_Rwanda.svg.png
Rwanda (details)
9,619,00093.6%56.9%26%
23px-Flag_of_the_British_Virgin_Islands.svg.png
British Virgin Islands (details)
23,00094.0%9%85%
23px-Flag_of_Ecuador.svg.png
Ecuador (details)
14,099,00094.0%74%20%
23px-Flag_of_the_Falkland_Islands.svg.png
Falkland Islands (details)
3,00094.3%94%

Because God chose the Jews, out of Shem, to whom salvation is found. (Gen. 9:26)

Because God chose the descendants of Japheth, the western world, where Christianity is centered. (Gen. 9:27) (Acts 16:6-10)

God not only elects, He places the majority of His elect in those areas where He has already designated as places of blessing by Him.

Quantrill

Back