Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Book recommendations on Christian dating?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Hi. Can anyone recommend a book on Christian dating, and what exactly that entails. I wasn't raised Christian, and I've found even the term "dating" is controversial in some Christian circles and has mixed definitions. How do you define it and where can I read more about it, or even about Christian courtship in general?

Hi WhiskeyNovember and welcome to CF :wave2

I do not know of any good books, but sure there are plenty. Do you have a Christian book store near you as they might have books on Christian dating, or maybe try google and find reviews on certain books you find. I will give you some scripture that you can consider. Most important is that you pray and ask God to send you a Godly woman that is right for you and He will in His timing.

The Temple of the Living God
2Co 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
2Co 6:15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?
2Co 6:16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
2Co 6:17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,
2Co 6:18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

Thank you for the advice and scripture. It's not a lack of books that's the problem. The problem is that there are too many, with potentially outdated and contradictory advice. One, which used to be highly regarded, was pulled by its author after having personal issues and second thoughts years later.

So I was hoping someone could help me narrow down the selection.

I don’t have anything specific, but I’ve always found Focus on the Family to have good stuff.

We have and active RSS feed that dumps into one of our sub forums.

Try browsing, or even use our search feature to search that specific forum.

I just fine it better to search the scriptures for what God has already taught us on dating and marriage. Just google scriptures on dating and marriage and study them for your understanding.

I just fine it better to search the scriptures for what God has already taught us on dating and marriage. Just google scriptures on dating and marriage and study them for your understanding.
Marriage - yes.

But dating? That was not invented before the 1900s, so there is NOTHING in scripture to directly address that. In OT and NT times, marriages were arranged. (and usually occurred at age 13-15)

Marriage - yes.

But dating? That was not invented before the 1900s, so there is NOTHING in scripture to directly address that. In OT and NT times, marriages were arranged. (and usually occurred at age 13-15)
I agree that many marriages were arranged in the Jewish culture, but the Bible does in a sense teach on dating. Usually when one begins dating they are looking for a husband or wife and these scriptures below show just how we are to look for a Godly wife or Husband.

Matthew 19:5; 2 Timothy 2:22; 1 Corinthians 6:18; 16:4-7; 15:33; 2 Corinthians 6:14;

There is no place in the Bible that constitutes having to have a marriage license. Man incorporated this into the law. In the Hebrew tradition a mohar or dowry was paid to the father of the bride by the groom in exchange for the daughter, Exodus 22:17. Genesis 2:23-25 explains the bond of marriage. The two are united as one in the eyes of God. Ephesians 5:22-29 wives are to submit to their husbands as unto the Lord for the husband is the spiritual head of the wife. Man is the provider and protector of his family. Husbands, you are to love your wives like Christ loves his church. This is an unconditional love that looks on the inside of a person and not the adorning of the outside. It is a love with a pure heart.

For a good marriage to work one should study 2 Corinthians 6:14 be ye not unequally yoked together with non-believers for what fellowship hath righteous with unrighteous, and what communion has light with darkness. If you are a believer in Jesus Christ then you need to choose a mate that also believes in the faith of Christ.

Before ever getting married take time to really know each other and establish a friendship that consist of trust and belief in each other. Allow Christ to be the center of your friendship and this will allow you to begin a marriage that is totally Christ centered. Always resolve your problems with the Holy Ghost guidance through the word and you will always have a good marriage. Always be opened and honest with each other for this builds trust in the relationship, but if that trust is broken there is no relationship. Love each other unconditionally as Christ loves us and forgives us our faults. As long as we live in this flesh we will sin at times, but when you acknowledge those sins and ask for forgiveness God will always forgive us. Always be ready to forgive each other seventy times seven, Matthew 22:21,22, and not only forgive, but forget the sin as God remembers our sins no more when we repent of them. The outside appearance will always change and beauty may fade, but it is the heart of the person we are to love and the heart will never change as long as the love of Christ dwells within it.

Back