Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Calvinism defined

Fastfredy0

Reformed Baptist
2024 Supporter
The following from: http://drjohnsanders.com/is-open-theism-a-radical-revision-or-miniscule-modification-of-arminianism/ John Sanders, who is an Open Theist, defines Reformed Theology (Calvinism)

“According to Classical theism divine perfection means that
God is absolutely independent of creation and cannot be dependent upon a creature in any respect. The motivation for this view arises out of a particular conception of perfection as applied to God. That is, if it is good to have qualities such as knowledge, will, power, and love, then what must a being that is perfect in these qualities be like? It is argued that God is perfect in the sense that there can be no possible improvement or potential for change since any change in God could only be a change for the worse.
Classical theism (Reformed Theology) affirms basic theism but adds a number of very carefully defined attributes. God is a simple, immaterial, immutable, impassible, timeless, necessary, personal, pure act, omnipresent, omniscient, omnipotent, and wholly good.
Although T.U.L.I.P. defines reformed theology's view point in those matters, it does not define Calvinism.

T.U.L.I.P. was developed to answer opposition on these matters.

Most verses used to object to Calvinism employ the ambiguous words: WORLD, ALL and EVERYONE where EVERYONE is a synonym for ALL. See John 3:16, John 6:51, 1 John 2:2, 1 Timothy 2:4,6, A close study of every verse using WORLD and ALL will reveal the ambiguity if just only one interpretation of these words were to be applied.

Calvinism is monogistic meaning God completely determines a person salvation whereas most (all?) other Christian denominations are synergistic meaning they believe a person is saved by their work of salvific faith which leads to God adopting them as sons or daughters as a reward for their 'work' of salvific belief. In this non-reformed system, salvation is a team effort in which the God shares His glory of salvation with those who are saved (synergism).

Finally, Calvinism might be defined by the 5 solas. We are saved per the contents of Scripture Alone, by God's Grace Alone, by Faith Alone, In Christ Alone for the Glory of God Alone.

I believe all other denominations, if they stand by their doctrine, believe in salvation by works; some to a greater degree than others. In others words, they must do something (WORK) independent of God (not caused by God) in other to be saved.

Definition of WORK: a mental and/or physical activity to accomplish a purpose. Any work in regards to salvation from a Reformed (Calvinism) prospective is caused to happen by God, not the person. John 6:29 Jesus replied, “The work of God is this: to believe in the One He has sent.”

Finally, Calvinism might be defined by the 5 solas. We are saved per the contents of Scripture Alone, by God's Grace Alone, by Faith Alone, In Christ Alone for the Glory of God Alone.

Just revisiting this thread.

Perhaps an in depth study on the 5 Solas is needed.

Please feel free to start a thread on these great "alones".

The following from: http://drjohnsanders.com/is-open-theism-a-radical-revision-or-miniscule-modification-of-arminianism/ John Sanders, who is an Open Theist, defines Reformed Theology (Calvinism)

“According to Classical theism divine perfection means that
God is absolutely independent of creation and cannot be dependent upon a creature in any respect. The motivation for this view arises out of a particular conception of perfection as applied to God. That is, if it is good to have qualities such as knowledge, will, power, and love, then what must a being that is perfect in these qualities be like? It is argued that God is perfect in the sense that there can be no possible improvement or potential for change since any change in God could only be a change for the worse.
Classical theism (Reformed Theology) affirms basic theism but adds a number of very carefully defined attributes. God is a simple, immaterial, immutable, impassible, timeless, necessary, personal, pure act, omnipresent, omniscient, omnipotent, and wholly good.
Although T.U.L.I.P. defines reformed theology's view point in those matters, it does not define Calvinism.

T.U.L.I.P. was developed to answer opposition on these matters.

Most verses used to object to Calvinism employ the ambiguous words: WORLD, ALL and EVERYONE where EVERYONE is a synonym for ALL. See John 3:16, John 6:51, 1 John 2:2, 1 Timothy 2:4,6, A close study of every verse using WORLD and ALL will reveal the ambiguity if just only one interpretation of these words were to be applied.

Calvinism is monogistic meaning God completely determines a person salvation whereas most (all?) other Christian denominations are synergistic meaning they believe a person is saved by their work of salvific faith which leads to God adopting them as sons or daughters as a reward for their 'work' of salvific belief. In this non-reformed system, salvation is a team effort in which the God shares His glory of salvation with those who are saved (synergism).

I believe all other denominations, if they stand by their doctrine, believe in salvation by works; some to a greater degree than others. In others words, they must do something (WORK) independent of God (not caused by God) in other to be saved.

Definition of WORK: a mental and/or physical activity to accomplish a purpose. Any work in regards to salvation from a Reformed (Calvinism) prospective is caused to happen by God, not the person. John 6:29 Jesus replied, “The work of God is this: to believe in the One He has sent.”
Thanks for sharing -- what's the difference between calvinism and lutheranism? Isn't that more or less the same thing? I've sat in lutheran churches that had huge murals of John Calvin on their walls

So what is this Basis God uses to "completely determine" if a person will be saved ?
It is natural for man to think he influences God such that what a man does is the cause of God doing "A" or "B". The bible states that men do NOT influence God per:
  • Job 23:14a “For He performs what is planned (appointed) for me,
  • Psalm 33:10 The Lord brings the counsel of the nations to nought; He makes the thoughts and plans of the peoples of no effect.
  • Proverbs 20:24 A man’s steps are directed by the LORD. How then can anyone understand his own way?
  • Daniel 5:23b But you have not glorified the God who has in his control your very breath and all your ways!
There are other verses saying God is not influenced by man.

So, the basis of God's determination is Himself alone. He is the Potter and we are the clay. He molds according to His desires. God is the only one with intrinsic worth and ALL THINGS are made for Him; for His glory and pleasure.

So what is this Basis God uses to "completely determine" if a person will be saved ?
So, the basis of God's determination is Himself alone. He is the Potter and we are the clay. He molds according to His desires. God is the only one with intrinsic worth and ALL THINGS are made for Him; for His glory and pleasure.
So if God has determined that a person will have no choice but to go to hell while they are still in the womb, how then does God "Love" that person ?

So if God has determined that a person will have no choice but to go to hell while they are still in the womb, how then does God "Love" that person ?
The Bible does not say God loves(d) everyone. In fact, there are many in the bible that God hated. Also, the bible calls out people who are beyond saving. One example that comes to mind is Eli's sons.

The Bible does not say God loves(d) everyone. In fact, there are many in the bible that God hated. Also, the bible calls out people who are beyond saving. One example that comes to mind is Eli's sons.
I can certainly understand why God would hate us.
What I do not understand is why God would Love any of us .
Even before coming out of the womb, no less.

I can certainly understand why God would hate us.
Even before coming out of the womb, no less.

I do not believe anyone can answer that question sufficiently.

We all deserve hell and damnation, yet He chose some of us for salvation.

Praise His great sovereignty.

Not sure what your asking.

God chose the elect before the foundations of the world.

Ephesians 1:4 just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before Him in love,
So in your theology there are small children, babies even that I see everyday that God Hates ?

So in your theology there are small children, babies even that I see everyday that God Hates ?
I never said that.

What I do believe is that humans cannot begin to understand the love of God.

His love is nothing like human love that is tainted by sin.

What God does, who am I to question Him.

He owes me no answer to anything.

As humans, we want answers.

Rom 9:11 for though the twins were not yet born and had not done anything good or bad, so that the purpose of God according to His choice would stand, not because of works but because of Him who calls,
Rom 9:12 it was said to her, “THE OLDER SHALL SERVE THE YOUNGER.”
Rom 9:13 Just as it is written, “JACOB I LOVED, BUT ESAU I HATED.”
Rom 9:14 What shall we say then? Is there any unrighteousness with God? May it never be!
Rom 9:15 For He says to Moses, “I WILL HAVE MERCY ON WHOM I HAVE MERCY, AND I WILL HAVE COMPASSION ON WHOM I HAVE COMPASSION.”
Rom 9:16 So then it does not depend on the one who wills or the one who runs, but on God who has mercy.
Rom 9:17 For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, “FOR THIS VERY PURPOSE I RAISED YOU UP, IN ORDER TO DEMONSTRATE MY POWER IN YOU, AND IN ORDER THAT MY NAME MIGHT BE PROCLAIMED THROUGHOUT THE WHOLE EARTH.”
Rom 9:18 So then He has mercy on whom He desires, and He hardens whom He desires.
Rom 9:19 You will say to me then, “Why does He still find fault? For who resists His will?”
Rom 9:20 On the contrary, who are you, O man, who answers back to God? WILL THE THING MOLDED SAY TO THE MOLDER, “WHY DID YOU MAKE ME LIKE THIS”?
Rom 9:21 Or does not the potter have authority over the clay, to make from the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for dishonorable use?
Rom 9:22 And what if God, wanting to demonstrate His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much patience vessels of wrath having been prepared for destruction,
Rom 9:23 and in order that He might make known the riches of His glory upon vessels of mercy, which He prepared beforehand for glory—

So God does Love all the little children ?
I would say God loves all humans in different ways.

John 3:16 “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.

Psalm 145:9 Yahweh is good to all, And His compassions are over all His works.

Mat 5:45 so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.

God definately loves His elect chosen over the unregenerate.

His love cannot be defined by humans, we simply cannot understand it.

Of course, if the Lord did not choose them, I just posted that from Romans 9 above.

My turn.

What is it that you do not believe?

What is your point to the discussion?
I guess I can't believe that when a child reaches the point they ask about heaven , Jesus , is Grandma there ? can I go to heaven? etc,etc,etc,
That someone with your theology would be honest to such a theology and tell little Joey or Suzy that :
" you actually have no say in whether you are unregenerate or chosen elect Joey or Suzy your fate was decided a long time ago"
"In fact Joey or Suzy, statistically you have a much better chance of being a hell doomed unregenerate than you do a chosen elect ."
How do you bring yourself to tell a child such a thing ?

Back