Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Can the bible become an idol?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Hey All,
Good question Riven. I never thought about that before. (Just to be clear, we are talking about the words of the Bible and not the actual paper binder and such that make up it's material existence.) I suppose a person could revere the Bible over Jesus. But would it be a sin of idolatry? Let's think about it.

Now the Bible is God's Word.
Worshiping the Bible is worshiping God's Word.
Is worshiping God's Word the equivalent of worshiping God?
John tells us the Word was with God and was God. Jn 1:1
In that respect worshiping God's Word is equal to worshiping God.
So no. If I have laid it out correctly, God's Word is God. Worshiping one is equal to worshiping the other or both.

I will say this. I suppose that if you put the Bible on an altar and never read it, then bowed down and worshiped it as an object rather than what it was meant to be, then yes it could be an idol. You are not using it as it was intended. God cannot communicate through it if His Word is never read. I have never heard of anyone doing this. So it never crossed my mind.

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

Yes, the Bible can become an idol when people think more of the book instead of learning what is written in the book. Many carry their Bible to Church like being proud that others see it in their hands, but never even bother to crack it open during the service. It goes back home and placed in its proper place.

Suppose a Christian puts the bible above Jesus. Can the bible then become an idol? If a man worships the bible instead of Jesus, is he or she guilty of idolatry?

What do you mean by "above Jesus"? How does a person "worship the Bible," exactly?

We don't know anything about Jesus except from the revelation of him in Scripture, right? We ought not to worship Scripture, but we can't do without it. 2 Timothy 3:16-17, Psalms 1, Psalms 119, Matthew 4:4; 1 Peter 2:2.

Suppose a Christian puts the bible above Jesus. Can the bible then become an idol? If a man worships the bible instead of Jesus, is he or she guilty of idolatry?

Do people worship the bible, or is it a case of referring to it so often that it becomes ' a Bible ' !
Secular Instruction books get called ' a bible ' because of Christians habit years ago of always referring to the bible.

I think 🤔 more authoritarian groups lean more heavily on their version of scripture and use it for indoctrination. Undoubtedly the Bible provides the guidance one needs for a godly life. I just find it hard to believe for instance that a poor Jewish carpenter from 2000 years ago would want His message interpreted to justify hatred of the poor immigrants refugees women etc.

I dunno 🤷‍♂️ Christianity is a relationship with Jesus Christ. To the extent that one’s Bible study facilitates that relationship awesome. When somehow it becomes indoctrination and runs counter to the good news then…not good.

There can be no relationship with an unknown God. How does one know who He is, how to approach Him, what He wants and doesn't want, what one's relationship to Him is (if any), without some specific, detailed revelation of Him? The Bible provides just such a revelation to us all. Without it, anything goes, really; without some objective, authoritative, unchanging standard to which our thinking about God and ourselves must conform (i.e. the Bible), there is only the individual's preferences and notions, their subjective opinions and prejudices, that become the "shape" of "God."

Christian doctrine - a cohesive system of beliefs about God, His will and our relationship to Him - is, then, vital to Christian living. In our increasingly post-modern, no-truth-but-my-own culture, the constraints of objectively-sourced doctrine can seem stifling, even oppressive, but they are vital to keeping us from making God in our own image. If God is going to be the Master that He is and not just a mirror in which we see ourselves, the doctrine of His word is absolutely necessary. Is understanding this "worshiping the Bible"? I don't think so. Read the verses and passages in my last post and tell me if the writers of them were "worshiping the Bible." They certainly lifted up God's word, His truth, very high! But I don't think that even for a moment they mistook the special revelation of God in Scripture for God Himself.

Wow. What a great question.
I'd say yes, the bible can become an idol.
Some persons treat the bible as if IT was God and not the story of God and His people,
or, I should say, the interaction thereof.

We're to respect the Word of God.
But we're not to worship the bible.

Riven
John 1:14 kjv
14. And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Luke 24:52 kjv
52. And they worshipped him, and returned to Jerusalem with great joy:
53. And were continually in the temple, praising and blessing God. Amen.

Mississippi redneck
eddif

I would offer. .

Like any temporal thing the written word of God represents the power of our eternal God not seen. The witness of two Dynamic dual. The Son of man the temporal seen revealing the Power of the Father not seen

The "let there be" and it as a testimony of God not seen "it was the good testimony" that God has spoken. . it gives him not seen credibility.

The law of faith that comes from believing the work of Gods understanding in those yoked with his love.. . not the letter of the law the temporal leading to an end dead.

The bible to its letter is God instrument of death. "Do not or you will in dying as good as dead , come to eternal death never to rise.

Satan, surely you will not die. The father of lies would have men still breathing under dirt with no oxygen (limbo purgatory) Like with Peter in John 21.spreading the lie that John would not really die .

It as the temporal (as it is written) must be mixed with law of faith that is if we desire to understand the parables I would think one of the most valuable tools needed to rightly divide the parable must be used as the mixing formula(2 Corinthians 4:18)

Two laws working together as one perfect law the law od death and the law of new born agin life . cal it the just (letter death ) and justifier the work of the unseen Holy Spirit .

Write the mixing formula below on your forehead or a tattoo on the hand .It opens the understanding of the parables which without Christ spoke not

2 Corinthians 4:18 While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

Romans 3:26 To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.

Again not just the letter of the law (death) but the unseen eternal law of faith. Christ's labor of love working in the temporal dying mankind giving them eternal '

Romans 7:6 But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.

Two laws working as one. . . the perfect law of faith.

Riven
John 1:14 kjv
14. And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Luke 24:52 kjv
52. And they worshipped him, and returned to Jerusalem with great joy:
53. And were continually in the temple, praising and blessing God. Amen.

Mississippi redneck
eddif
Yes, the eternal word of God dwelt in the temporal flesh of men The Son of man Jesus was used as witness to the glory of the unseen Holy Father,, a reflection of the unseen (God is not a man as us)

Yes man does look on the outside only God can see into the hearts of mankind. Remember the Son of man is a man and not God who alone remains unseen . They were not worshiping the prophets Jesus but the words given to the messengers all the apostles .

It's easy to get things turned upside down inspired from earth to include our own minds the seat of imaginations He gives his power to us to hear his understanding of faith and perform it to his good pleasure of His powerful will .

Like any temporal thing the written word of God represents the power of our eternal God....................
Hello Mr. G Lee, I'm not sure what you mean by that. Please elaborate. Thanks :)

Also, why do you believe that the word of God is "temporal" when the Bible makes it clear, again and again, that God's words are eternal 🤔 For instance:

Matthew 24
35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will never pass away.

--David

Yes, the eternal word of God dwelt in the temporal flesh of men. The Son of man Jesus was used as witness to the glory of the unseen Holy Father,, a reflection of the unseen (God is not a man as us) ... Remember the Son of man is a man and not God.........
Hello again Mr. G Lee, I have one or two additional questions about the above, but I'd like to start with one about the text above in bold. Assuming that you are using "Son of man" to refer to the Lord Jesus Christ then, as the Bible tells us, He is God from everlasting, but He remains both God ~and~ man now, and forevermore (from His Incarnation unto everlasting, that is) though, granted, His body is now glorified (as all of ours will be someday).

They were not worshiping the prophets Jesus but the words given to the messengers all the apostles .
I'm having trouble understanding what you mean by this. Please explain further. Thanks!

--David

st_worm2, it would be best for you to start a new discussion in an appropriate forum to ask the questions above. This forum is for addressing the original poster's (OP's) questions only so we don't want to sidetrack this discussion. Thanks.

Hello again Mr. G Lee, I have one or two additional questions about the above, but I'd like to start with one about the text above in bold. Assuming that you are using "Son of man" to refer to the Lord Jesus Christ then, as the Bible tells us, He is God from everlasting, but He remains both God ~and~ man now, and forevermore (from His Incarnation unto everlasting, that is) though, granted, His body is now glorified (as all of ours will be someday).

I'm having trouble understanding what you mean by this. Please explain further. Thanks!

--David
Thanks I can try.

The Son of man refers to Jesus empowered by the Father, Christ. God is not a man. Christ not seen is the anointing Holy Spirit as our teacher guide and comforter.

What I meant by those born again that were not worshiping the prophets Jesu, dying flesh as mankind . But were worshipping the living words words given to the messengers, . all the apostles to include the Son of man, Jesus

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back