Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Catholic argument against sola scriptura refuted. Willing and able to take on his replacements

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Isa 22:21-22
Matt 16:18-19
1 pet 5:13 The church that is at Babylon, elected together with you, saluteth you; and so doth Marcus my son.
Babylon isn't Rome, they are in different countries. As for the Rock upon which the church is built, even if it were Peter, he wasn't a pope, or Roman Catholic. The Church's headquarters was in Jerusalem, not Rome.

And he was married.

Babylon isn't Rome, they are in different countries. As for the Rock upon which the church is built, even if it were Peter, he wasn't a pope, or Roman Catholic. The Church's headquarters was in Jerusalem, not Rome.

And he was married.
Pagan Rome is spiritual Babylon

Pope comes from the Italian for father. Isa 22:21-22

Chief shepherd implies other shepherds

Isa 22:21-22 father (pope means papa) with key of authority over the kingdom

Matt 16:16-19 Peter declared blessed, head of the church (on earth) key (signs) of jurisdictional authority

Matt 17:27 It is Jesus Christ who identifies peter with himself.

Jn 21:17 Peter entrusted with the flock or church

Acts 15:7 God chose Peter

Acts 4:8 Then Peter, filled with the Holy Ghost, said unto them, Ye rulers of the people, and elders of Israel,

3rd time for Peter to receive “spirit baptism”! He must be special for some reason! Jn 20:22 acts 2:4

1 pet 2:25 For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls.

No reason to give the person of Peter the keys of the kingdom, “Thee outward sign” of jurisdictional authority if not to govern and administer the kingdom until Christ returns in glory!

To be the chief pastor and teacher of the faithful!

Matt 16:17-19
Why is Peter even mentioned?
Why does Jesus change His name?
Why does Jesus say Peter is blessed?
Why does Jesus give Peter the keys of the kingdom (jurisdictional authority)
Why does Jesus give Peter power to bind and loose?
Why does scripture say God chose Peter? Acts 15:7
What does Peter standing up signify? Acts 1:15 & 15:7

Matt 16:17
Jesus declares Peter’s person not confession to be blessed!

Peter is the rock chosen by God!

Peter’s person is blessed and chosen not Peter’s confession?

Peter’s person has the keys of jurisdictional authority!

Acts 15:7 And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up, and said unto them, Men and brethren, ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe.

God chose Peter!

Matt 16:16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.

17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

Is Peter’s person blessed or Peter’s confession?
Does Peter’s confession or Peter’s person receive divine revelation?

18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

When God changes a man’s name abram to Abraham or Jacob to Israel or Simon to Peter it signifies an office!

Is Peter’s person or Peter’s confession who’s name is changed?

And! Peter and rock are the same!

19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

Does Christ gives the keys to Peter’s person or Peter’s confession?

Does Christ give the power to bind and loose to Peter’s person or to a confession?

Did the Father send Christ or a confession of Christ?

Jesus Christ is the rock of salvation!

Peter is the rock that the church is built on by Christ!

Christ sends Peter not his confession!

Lk 22:32
Jesus prays for Peter alone, and instructed peter to minister to the other apostles

Only Peter and His successors have
Jurisdictional authority from Christ to govern the church!

Already acting in the person of Christ even acting as intermediary!

It is Jesus Christ who identifies peter with himself!

Matt 17:24 And when they were come to Capernaum, they that received tribute money came to Peter, and said, Doth not your master pay tribute?

25 He saith, Yes. And when he was come into the houser, Jesus prevented him, saying, What thinkest thou, Simon? of whom do the kings of the earth take custom or tribute? of their own children, or of strangers?

26 Peter saith unto him, Of strangers. Jesus saith unto him, Then are the children free.

27 Notwithstanding, lest we should offend them, go thou to the sea, and cast an hook, and take up the fish that first cometh up; and when thou hast opened his mouth, thou shalt find a piece of money: that take, and give unto them for me and thee.

It is Jesus Christ who identifies peter with himself! Matt 17:27

Jesus Christ gives the keys of the kingdom to peter matt 16:18-19 making him prime minister applying Isa 22:21-22 to peter

It’s Christ who does this

Why is the name of peter even mentioned?

Why does Christ change Peter’s name, God changing a persons name like Abram to Abraham or Jacob to Israel always signifies a mission or ministry!

Why does Christ give him the keys of jurisdictional authority that the prime minister holds under the king to administer the kingdom? Isa 22:21-22

How do you govern the church and administer the kingdom with a confession?

How do you give jurisdictional authority to a confession? (Keys of the kingdom)

How do you give a confession the power to bind and loose?

also have to explain
Isa 22:21-22 jurisdictional authority of the keys and called father
Matt 28:19 go teach baptize
Jn 20:21-23 same mission power and authority as christ
Eph 2:20 church built on the apostles
Matt 23 successors of Moses have the jurisdictional authority and the power to bind and loose which Christ says must be obeyed, then taken from them matt 21:43 given to Peter and the apostles and their successors

Lk 22:29 And I appoint unto you a kingdom, as my Father hath appointed unto me;
30 That ye may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel.
31 And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat: (plural Peter and his successors)
32 But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.

Applies only to Peter as “prince of the apostles”!

Peter and his successors are the Leader of the apostles and the head of the church until Christ returns!

First and chief apostle!

Matt 10:2 Now the names of the twelve apostles are these; The first, Simon, who is called Peter,

30 That ye may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel.
31 And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat: (plural Peter and his successors)
32 But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.

Lk 22:32 Christ prayed for Peter!

Peter is head of the church on earth in the place of Christ until His return!

Isa 22:21-22 21 And I will clothe him with thy robe, and strengthen him with thy girdle, and I will commit thy government into his hand: and he shall be a father to the inhabitants of Jerusalem, and to the house of Judah.

22 And the key of the house of David will I lay upon his shoulder; so he shall open, and none shall shut; and he shall shut, and none shall open.

Matt 16:19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

Matt 23:1 power and authority of the kingdom known in the keys and binding and loosing, Matt 21:43 kingdom shall be taken from you given to another who will bear fruit. (Peter the apostles in holy church Lk 22:29)

Matt 17:27 Jesus identified peter with himself.

Matt 16:17 Peter alone received revelation from the Father

Lk 22:32 Peter to strengthen his brethren (the apostles)

Jn 21:17 feed my sheep

Peter exercises his authority over the apostles in the church!

Acts 1:15
Acts 3:4
Acts 5:5 5:10
Acts 10:44
Acts 15:7

ONLY TO PETER CHRIST SAID: THOU ART PETER AND UPON THIS ROCK I WILL BUILT MY CHURCH, AND THE GATES OF HELL SHALL NOT PREVAIL AGAINST IT!Matt 16:18

Peter is the prime minister, father, and head of the church on earth until Christ returns Isa 22:21-22

Seat of peter remains Until Christ returns

Matthew 5:14
Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.

Rom 14:10 But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.

4 important questions:

1) How do you govern the church and administer the kingdom with a confession?

2) How do you give jurisdictional authority to a confession? (Keys of the kingdom)

3) How do you give a confession the power to bind and loose?

4) why did Christ give the keys to Peter (and only to Peter) keys of jurisdictional authority. Isa 22:21-22 why even bother to mention Peter if he is not involved?

Says who? the Pope? Babylon Mother of Harlots began in ancient Babylon, the Tower of Babylon. Not Rome.
Peter was on the way to Rome!

1 Peter 1:1 Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, to the strangers scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia,

Thks

Pope comes from the Italian for father. Isa 22:21-22

Chief shepherd implies other shepherds

Isa 22:21-22 father (pope means papa) with key of authority over the kingdom

Matt 16:16-19 Peter declared blessed, head of the church (on earth) key (signs) of jurisdictional authority

Matt 17:27 It is Jesus Christ who identifies peter with himself.

Acts 15:7 God chose Peter

Acts 4:8 Then Peter, filled with the Holy Ghost, said unto them, Ye rulers of the people, and elders of Israel,

3rd time for Peter to receive “spirit baptism”! He must be special for some reason! Jn 20:22 acts 2:4

1 pet 2:25 For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls.

No reason to give the person of Peter the keys of the kingdom, “Thee outward sign” of jurisdictional authority if not to govern and administer the kingdom until Christ returns in glory!

To be the chief pastor and teacher of the faithful!

Matt 16:17-19
Why is Peter even mentioned?
Why does Jesus change His name?
Why does Jesus say Peter is blessed?
Why does Jesus give Peter the keys of the kingdom (jurisdictional authority)
Why does Jesus give Peter power to bind and loose?
Why does scripture say God chose Peter? Acts 15:7
What does Peter standing up signify? Acts 1:15 & 15:7

Matt 16:17
Jesus declares Peter’s person not confession to be blessed!

Peter is the rock chosen by God!

Peter’s person is blessed and chosen not Peter’s confession?

Peter’s person has the keys of jurisdictional authority!

Acts 15:7 And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up, and said unto them, Men and brethren, ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe.

God chose Peter!

Matt 16:16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.

17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

Is Peter’s person blessed or Peter’s confession?
Does Peter’s confession or Peter’s person receive divine revelation?

18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

When God changes a man’s name abram to Abraham or Jacob to Israel or Simon to Peter it signifies an office!

Is Peter’s person or Peter’s confession who’s name is changed?

And! Peter and rock are the same!

19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

Does Christ gives the keys to Peter’s person or Peter’s confession?

Does Christ give the power to bind and loose to Peter’s person or to a confession?

Did the Father send Christ or a confession of Christ?

Jesus Christ is the rock of salvation!

Peter is the rock that the church is built on by Christ!

Christ sends Peter not his confession!

Lk 22:32
Jesus prays for Peter alone, and instructed peter to minister to the other apostles

Only Peter and His successors have
Jurisdictional authority from Christ to govern the church!

Already acting in the person of Christ even acting as intermediary!

It is Jesus Christ who identifies peter with himself!

Matt 17:24 And when they were come to Capernaum, they that received tribute money came to Peter, and said, Doth not your master pay tribute?

25 He saith, Yes. And when he was come into the houser, Jesus prevented him, saying, What thinkest thou, Simon? of whom do the kings of the earth take custom or tribute? of their own children, or of strangers?

26 Peter saith unto him, Of strangers. Jesus saith unto him, Then are the children free.

27 Notwithstanding, lest we should offend them, go thou to the sea, and cast an hook, and take up the fish that first cometh up; and when thou hast opened his mouth, thou shalt find a piece of money: that take, and give unto them for me and thee.

It is Jesus Christ who identifies peter with himself! Matt 17:27

Jesus Christ gives the keys of the kingdom to peter matt 16:18-19 making him prime minister applying Isa 22:21-22 to peter

It’s Christ who does this

Why is the name of peter even mentioned?

Why does Christ change Peter’s name, God changing a persons name like Abram to Abraham or Jacob to Israel always signifies a mission or ministry!

Why does Christ give him the keys of jurisdictional authority that the prime minister holds under the king to administer the kingdom? Isa 22:21-22

How do you govern the church and administer the kingdom with a confession?

How do you give jurisdictional authority to a confession? (Keys of the kingdom)

How do you give a confession the power to bind and loose?

also have to explain
Isa 22:21-22 jurisdictional authority of the keys and called father
Matt 28:19 go teach baptize
Jn 20:21-23 same mission power and authority as christ
Eph 2:20 church built on the apostles
Matt 23 successors of Moses have the jurisdictional authority and the power to bind and loose which Christ says must be obeyed, then taken from them matt 21:43 given to Peter and the apostles and their successors

Applies only to Peter as “prince of the apostles”!

Peter and his successors are the Leader of the apostles and the head of the church until Christ returns!

First and chief apostle!

Matt 10:2 Now the names of the twelve apostles are these; The first, Simon, who is called Peter,

Lk 22:32 Christ prayed for Peter!

Peter is head of the church on earth in the place of Christ until His return!

Isa 22:21-22 21 And I will clothe him with thy robe, and strengthen him with thy girdle, and I will commit thy government into his hand: and he shall be a father to the inhabitants of Jerusalem, and to the house of Judah.

22 And the key of the house of David will I lay upon his shoulder; so he shall open, and none shall shut; and he shall shut, and none shall open.

Matt 16:19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

Matt 23:1 power and authority of the kingdom known in the keys and binding and loosing, Matt 21:43 kingdom shall be taken from you given to another who will bear fruit. (Peter the apostles in holy church Lk 22:29)

Matt 17:27 Jesus identified peter with himself.

Matt 16:17 Peter alone received revelation from the Father

Jn 21:17 feed my sheep

Peter exercises his authority over the apostles in the church!

Acts 1:15
Acts 3:4
Acts 5:5 5:10
Acts 10:44
Acts 15:7

ONLY TO PETER CHRIST SAID: THOU ART PETER AND UPON THIS ROCK I WILL BUILT MY CHURCH, AND THE GATES OF HELL SHALL NOT PREVAIL AGAINST IT!Matt 16:18

Peter is the prime minister, father, and head of the church on earth until Christ returns Isa 22:21-22

Seat of peter remains Until Christ returns

Matthew 5:14
Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.

Rom 14:10 But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.

4 important questions:

1) How do you govern the church and administer the kingdom with a confession?

2) How do you give jurisdictional authority to a confession? (Keys of the kingdom)

3) How do you give a confession the power to bind and loose?

4) why did Christ give the keys to Peter (and only to Peter) keys of jurisdictional authority. Isa 22:21-22 why even bother to mention Peter if he is not involved?
You must find in Scripture or the early church fathers where the papacy is taught, otherwise its an innovation.

I can't find anything in the early church fathers that says the Pope is in Rome, or even that there is a pope.

In other words, Jesus and His apostles quote scripture for truth. Not one of them quote a pope or bishop in Rome for truth.

Neither do the early church fathers.

Only after the invention of a pope, do we see popes in history.

That's like a "car". Prior to the invention of the automobile, no one ever talked about cars.

You must find in Scripture or the early church fathers where the papacy is taught, otherwise its an innovation.

I can't find anything in the early church fathers that says the Pope is in Rome, or even that there is a pope.
Is there a head of the church?

Is there a head of the church?
Yes, Christ:

14 that we should no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting,
15 but, speaking the truth in love, may grow up in all things into Him who is the head-- Christ--
16 from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by what every joint supplies, according to the effective working by which every part does its share, causes growth of the body for the edifying of itself in love. (Eph. 4:14-16 NKJ)

23 For the husband is head of the wife, as also Christ is head of the church; and He is the Savior of the body.
24 Therefore, just as the church is subject to Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything.
(Eph. 5:23-24 NKJ)

In other words, Jesus and His apostles quote scripture for truth. Not one of them quote a pope or bishop in Rome for truth.

Neither do the early church fathers.

Only after the invention of a pope, do we see popes in history.

That's like a "car". Prior to the invention of the automobile, no one ever talked about cars.
You're kind of right in a way but not 100% right.

if you want to know how the pope came about, I'll be happy to explain.

It's simple history.

Yes, Christ:

14 that we should no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting,
15 but, speaking the truth in love, may grow up in all things into Him who is the head-- Christ--
16 from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by what every joint supplies, according to the effective working by which every part does its share, causes growth of the body for the edifying of itself in love. (Eph. 4:14-16 NKJ)

23 For the husband is head of the wife, as also Christ is head of the church; and He is the Savior of the body.
24 Therefore, just as the church is subject to Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything.
(Eph. 5:23-24 NKJ)
Yet Christ is the head of man!

But you have no problem with the man representing Christ to His wife and family and being called the “head of the family”

There must be a leader!
Head of the church on earth, vicar of Christ (that means Christ lives and teaches thru him) with authority over the other apostles / teachers

Matt 17:27 Jesus identified Peter with himself to the exclusion of the other apostles

Jn 21:17 feed my sheep (apostles)
And lambs (people)

You're kind of right in a way but not 100% right.

if you want to know how the pope came about, I'll be happy to explain.

It's simple history.
I believe I have the gist of it. After the apostles Gentiles became confused about apostolic teaching.

Many new ideas were being floated.

So they developed the theory "whatever is "Catholic" (=universally believed) was taught by the apostolic founders, anything "new" that sprang up in few local churches was rejected.

They began repeating the mantra "Thus says the Catholic (meaning universal global) church", to be the gospel. Anything believed by a few, was rejected.

They called this quest for universality, the combination of "church tradition" and scripture. This was codified at Trent.

When Rome became "Christian" it was natural the church in Rome take on global importance as the bishops became involved with secular rule

History would have been vastly different if the Temple was not destroyed, and Emperor Hadrian didn't expel Jews from Jerusalem. The Church would have continued what the apostles started in Jerusalem, that we see in the book of Acts.

Last edited:
Yet Christ is the head of man!

But you have no problem with the man representing Christ to His wife and family and being called the “head of the family”

There must be a leader!
Head of the church on earth, vicar of Christ (that means Christ lives and teaches thru him) with authority over the other apostles / teachers

Matt 17:27 Jesus identified Peter with himself to the exclusion of the other apostles

Jn 21:17 feed my sheep (apostles)
And lambs (people)

If only Catholic Rome really did preserve the teaching of the apostles, rather than begin changing it over the centuries.

Its a fact of history, if you Donadams were teleported into the city of Rome circa 200-400 AD, you would be driven out of the church for heresy. Verneration of icons, saints, near worship of Mary, immaculate conception of Mary, infallible popes, would be heresy in the 3rd century.

On the other hand, everyone would welcome sola scripturaists who clung to the teaching of the apostles:

These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so. (Acts 17:11 KJV)

The Gospel of Christ was "once delivered" to the Church, there weren't "multiple deliveries" through popes and councils and creeds:

Beloved, while I was very diligent to write to you concerning our common salvation, I found it necessary to write to you exhorting you to contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints. (Jude 1:3 NKJ)

The truth of Christ was "delivered" to the church, we were expected to keep it unchanged, not have popes and councils constantly inventing new applications of their own peculiar premises.

I believe I have the gist of it. After the apostles Gentiles became confused about apostolic teaching.

So they developed the theory "whatever is "Catholic" (=universally believed) was taught by the apostolic founders, anything "new" that sprang up in few local churches was rejected.

They began repeating the mantra "Thus says the Catholic (meaning universal global) church", to be the gospel. Anything believed by a few, was rejected.

They called this quest for universality, the combination of "church tradition" and scripture. This was codified at Trent.

When Rome became "Christian" it was natural the church in Rome take on global importance as the bishops became involved with secular rule

History would have been vastly different if the Temple was not destroyed, and Emperor Hadrian didn't expel Jews from Jerusalem. The Church would have continued what the apostles started in Jerusalem, that we see in the book of Acts.
Acts 15:7 God chose Peter?

If only Catholic Rome really did preserve the teaching of the apostles, rather than begin changing it over the centuries.

Its a fact of history, if you Donadams were teleported into the city of Rome circa 200-400 AD, you would be driven out of the church for heresy. Verneration of icons, saints, near worship of Mary, immaculate conception of Mary, infallible popes, would be heresy in the 3rd century.

On the other hand, everyone would welcome sola scripturaists who clung to the teaching of the apostles:

These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so. (Acts 17:11 KJV)

The Gospel of Christ was "once delivered" to the Church, there weren't "multiple deliveries" through popes and councils and creeds:

Beloved, while I was very diligent to write to you concerning our common salvation, I found it necessary to write to you exhorting you to contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints. (Jude 1:3 NKJ)

The truth of Christ was "delivered" to the church, we were expected to keep it unchanged, not have popes and councils constantly inventing new applications of their own peculiar premises.
Pope Agatho 7c

This Apostolic Church never turned from the way of truth nor held any kind of error. It is imperative that nothing of the truths which have been defined be lessened, nothing altered, nothing added, but that they be preserved intact in word and meaning. This is the true rule of faith.

The deposit of faith from Christ to his apostles preserved and taught to all men! Jude 1:3 Matt 28:19

It's the opposite actually. Let's see if we can agree on the history of the christian church.

There were many new ideas, as you put it, circulating even while the Apostles were still alive,,,John wrote about the gnostics - or, at least, he referred to them I should say in 1 John 2:19....they went from us because they were not of us.
He was talking about the gnostics.

The heresies circulated for decades and finally it was decided to have councils. At this time the church would officially agree on the doctrines that were to be accepted and followed and those that were to be discarded.
The most famous one of all was Arianism which was handled at the Council of Nicea in 325AD.

The canon of the bible was decided upon at the Council of Carthage in about 390AD.
This is because there were other writings circulating that some were using as if it were scripture and the church (the CC) wanted an official NT bible that every individual church would usse.

For instance, some of these writings included: The Didache, The Shepherd of Hermes and the letters of Ignatius of Antioch who learned from both John and Peter directly.

Scripture was codefied as my above explains.
Trent was in opposition to Protestantism and is an entirely different discourse.

Rome was important because Peter was the bishop of Rome (thus he is called the first "pope" of Rome) and when there was uncertainty as to a teaching, Peter was consulted b ecause he was one of the Apostles.

It was continued.
Read the Early Church Fathers.
What exactly do you believe was not continued??

It's the opposite actually. Let's see if we can agree on the history of the christian church.

There were many new ideas, as you put it, circulating even while the Apostles were still alive,,,John wrote about the gnostics - or, at least, he referred to them I should say in 1 John 2:19....they went from us because they were not of us.
He was talking about the gnostics.

The heresies circulated for decades and finally it was decided to have councils. At this time the church would officially agree on the doctrines that were to be accepted and followed and those that were to be discarded.
The most famous one of all was Arianism which was handled at the Council of Nicea in 325AD.

The canon of the bible was decided upon at the Council of Carthage in about 390AD.
This is because there were other writings circulating that some were using as if it were scripture and the church (the CC) wanted an official NT bible that every individual church would usse.

For instance, some of these writings included: The Didache, The Shepherd of Hermes and the letters of Ignatius of Antioch who learned from both John and Peter directly.

Scripture was codefied as my above explains.
Trent was in opposition to Protestantism and is an entirely different discourse.

Rome was important because Peter was the bishop of Rome (thus he is called the first "pope" of Rome) and when there was uncertainty as to a teaching, Peter was consulted b ecause he was one of the Apostles.

It was continued.
Read the Early Church Fathers.
What exactly do you believe was not continued??
No, you left out Universality which was key to accepting both doctrine and canon:

By the time of the early 5th century, several key criteria had emerged that guided the early Church in determining which writings should be included in the New Testament canon. These criteria were not formalized in a single list or document from that period, but they can be inferred from the writings and actions of early Church leaders and councils:

1. **Apostolic Origin**: One of the primary criteria was apostolic authorship or origin. Texts that were believed to have been written by the apostles or their close companions were given special consideration because the apostles were direct witnesses to the life and teachings of Jesus. This connection was seen as guaranteeing the authenticity of the teachings contained in the writings.

2. **Orthodox Content**: The content of the writings had to be in agreement with what was considered orthodox Christian teaching. This included consistency with the known teachings of Jesus and the apostles. Texts that contained theological ideas or practices that contradicted or diverged from the mainstream Christian belief were excluded.

3. **Liturgical Use**: Writings that were already being used in the liturgical life of the Church—read during worship services across different Christian communities—were more likely to be considered for canonization. The liturgical use indicated widespread acceptance and the ability of the text to support the spiritual life of the community.

4. **Catholicity**: This criterion refers to the universal acceptance of a text by the major Christian communities. A text needed to have broad acceptance across the diverse geographical areas of Christendom. Works that were only recognized or used by a particular local community or a small sect were generally not included.

5. **Inspirational Quality**: Texts that were believed to be inspired by the Holy Spirit were candidates for inclusion in the canon. This spiritual discernment often overlapped with other criteria, such as apostolic origin and orthodoxy of content.

The canon was not definitively settled in the early centuries. Different regions had slightly different lists of accepted scriptures. It was only by the late 4th and early 5th centuries that we see more formal ratification of the canon, such as the Synod of Rome (AD 382) and the councils of Hippo (AD 393) and Carthage (AD 397 and 419), which began to formalize the canon of scripture that is largely recognized today. These councils largely affirmed the existing consensus and helped standardize the New Testament across Christendom.

The fathers didn't refer to the pope or Roman church when they appealed to the global acceptance of a doctrine, saying "Thus saith the Catholic Church." The redefinition of "Catholic" to "Roman Catholic" was centuries later.

Pope Agatho 7c

This Apostolic Church never turned from the way of truth nor held any kind of error. It is imperative that nothing of the truths which have been defined be lessened, nothing altered, nothing added, but that they be preserved intact in word and meaning. This is the true rule of faith.

The deposit of faith from Christ to his apostles preserved and taught to all men! Jude 1:3 Matt 28:19
Unhistorical. There are multiple versions of Roman Catholicism, it undergoes great change with each major council. Your version of Roman Catholicism was mostly unknown to Roman Catholics of the first few centuries.

For example, you would be cast out of the church the moment you claimed Mary was born sinless, immaculately conceived.

The sinless don't require a "savior"

How my spirit rejoices in God my Savior! (Lk. 1:47 NLT)

No, you left out Universality which was key to accepting both doctrine and canon:

By the time of the early 5th century, several key criteria had emerged that guided the early Church in determining which writings should be included in the New Testament canon. These criteria were not formalized in a single list or document from that period, but they can be inferred from the writings and actions of early Church leaders and councils:

1. **Apostolic Origin**: One of the primary criteria was apostolic authorship or origin. Texts that were believed to have been written by the apostles or their close companions were given special consideration because the apostles were direct witnesses to the life and teachings of Jesus. This connection was seen as guaranteeing the authenticity of the teachings contained in the writings.

2. **Orthodox Content**: The content of the writings had to be in agreement with what was considered orthodox Christian teaching. This included consistency with the known teachings of Jesus and the apostles. Texts that contained theological ideas or practices that contradicted or diverged from the mainstream Christian belief were excluded.

3. **Liturgical Use**: Writings that were already being used in the liturgical life of the Church—read during worship services across different Christian communities—were more likely to be considered for canonization. The liturgical use indicated widespread acceptance and the ability of the text to support the spiritual life of the community.

4. **Catholicity**: This criterion refers to the universal acceptance of a text by the major Christian communities. A text needed to have broad acceptance across the diverse geographical areas of Christendom. Works that were only recognized or used by a particular local community or a small sect were generally not included.

5. **Inspirational Quality**: Texts that were believed to be inspired by the Holy Spirit were candidates for inclusion in the canon. This spiritual discernment often overlapped with other criteria, such as apostolic origin and orthodoxy of content.

The canon was not definitively settled in the early centuries. Different regions had slightly different lists of accepted scriptures. It was only by the late 4th and early 5th centuries that we see more formal ratification of the canon, such as the Synod of Rome (AD 382) and the councils of Hippo (AD 393) and Carthage (AD 397 and 419), which began to formalize the canon of scripture that is largely recognized today. These councils largely affirmed the existing consensus and helped standardize the New Testament across Christendom.

The fathers didn't refer to the pope or Roman church when they appealed to the global acceptance of a doctrine, saying "Thus saith the Catholic Church." The redefinition of "Catholic" to "Roman Catholic" was centuries later.
Agreed.
There was no pope at the time of the Apostolic or the Early Fathers.

However, authority was recognized and that would be, for the very early church, James and Peter.

I don't really understand why Paul isn't mentioned too much. The CC does honor him. The CC in my town is named San Paolo e Pietro.

No. 4 is not why I believe the CC is the early church.

Unhistorical. There are multiple versions of Roman Catholicism, it undergoes great change with each major council. Your version of Roman Catholicism was mostly unknown to Roman Catholics of the first few centuries.

For example, you would be cast out of the church the moment you claimed Mary was born sinless, immaculately conceived.

The sinless don't require a "savior"

How my spirit rejoices in God my Savior! (Lk. 1:47 NLT)
I've thought about this a lot.
There were writings about Mary but I've never looked into it.

It does make sense to me that God would want Jesus to be born in a holy vessel,,,,set aside. Sans the sin nature.

As to your verse, there's no way Mary could have known she was sinless or lacking the sin nature. Thus her statement.

In any case, she was correct in believing how God is her savior and our saviour. However method God wished to use. In her case, the immaculate conception.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back