Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Cell Phone Airbags

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Lewis

Amazon CEO Invents Airbags For Your Cell Phone

Aug 12, 2011 1:27 PM
We've all either done it or had nightmares about it: dropping an expensive mobile device. Well, Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos thinks he has the solution--mobile phone airbags.
Bezos reportedly applied for a patent in February 2010 for an airbag system for mobile phones and other portable devices. Just made public on Friday, the patent application details a system in which the device would detect it is being dropped and would deploy some type of damage protection system, such as an airbag.
phones2-5206730.jpg

“While the size and weight of portable devices make them convenient to carry around, these characteristics often make them more susceptible to damage and loss,” the application explains. “With the number of cellular phones in use exceeding several billion and repairs typically exceeding $25, the costs of damage and loss of cellular phones amounts to billions of dollars per year.”
The technology would deploy the airbags in such as way so that the impact would be absorbed by the airbag first. This would cushion the blow and make the difference between a shattered screen and a device with a few nicks and scrapes.
It might not be an airbag that saves your phone: Bezos’ idea says springs could be used instead, or maybe an expulsion of air (is your device going to land like a spaceship?), or maybe even a combination of these ideas. Kind of out there, but certainly an interesting concept!
168966-168776-brokeniphonethumb_original.jpg
No doubt the cell phone companies don’t really mind when you drop your phone and break it: most insurance plans don’t cover these types of accidents. At the same time, those of us with butterfingers -- myself included -- might see this as an attractive feature when shopping for a phone.
A phone that cancels out my clumsiness? Yes please!
PC World

yes, but if said "air bag" is deployed then it has to be replaced. will that save money?

if it its not cheaper then a replacement then why bother.

My touch screen HTC Shift doesn't fit in my holster with the shell. I'm waiting for it to slip out of my hands on the cement face-side down, and then I'll be in the market for this. If you hear a scream from the direction of Michigan, you'll know it happened. :gah

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back