Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Charismatic Bible Studies - 1 Peter 1:22 - 2:3

Hidden In Him

Charismatic
Staff member
Growing The End-Time Army, Through The Pure Milk Of The Word

10-Surprising-Benefits-of-Breastfeeding-by-Mama-Natural-1.jpg

The Holy Spirit is sent of God to be our Teacher, and the One who feeds us the word of God as newborn babes, leading us into all truth. This is what Jesus taught the disciples in John's Gospel:

12 “I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. 13 However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak, and He will tell you of things to come. (John 16:12-13)

Peter now urged his readers to grow spiritually by the same means; taking in the word of God as newborn babes, by receiving "the pure milk of the word," which through the agency of the Holy Spirit leads to true spiritual growth and love for the brethren.

22 Since you have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit in sincere love of the brethren, love one another fervently with a pure heart, 23 having been born again, not of corruptible seed but incorruptible, through the word of God which lives and abides forever, 24 because “All flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of the grass. The grass withers, and its flower falls away, 25 But the word of the Lord endures forever.” Now this is the word which by the gospel was preached to you. Therefore, laying aside all malice, all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and all evil speaking, 2 as newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the word, that you may grow thereby, 3 if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is gracious. (1 Peter 1:22-2:3)

How was the Holy Spirit feeding them "the pure milk of the word" in New Testament times? Some within Cessationist circles do not like to admit it, but the Holy Spirit was often doing so supernaturally, through prophecy, dreams and visions.

Before the gospel was ever preached to the Gentiles, Peter himself received a vision of a curtain being lowered down to the earth with all sorts of unclean foods on it. The message the Lord was sending him was essentially, "Whatsoever is set before you, take and eat," and by extension, "No longer fear to eat with the Gentiles, for they are now about to be admitted into the household of God."

10 Then [Peter] became very hungry and wanted to eat. But while they made ready, he fell into a trance 11 and he saw heaven opened and an object like a great sheet bound at the four corners, descending to him and let down to the earth. 12 In it were all kinds of four-footed animals of the earth, wild beasts, creeping things, and birds of the air. 13 And a voice came to him, saying “Rise, Peter; kill and eat.” 14 But Peter said, “Not so, Lord! For I have never eaten anything common or unclean.” 15 And a voice spoke to him again the second time, “What God has cleansed you must not call common.” 16 This was done three times. And the object was taken up into heaven again. (Acts 10:10-16)

The Roman Centurion Cornelius also received visions from God, and these two men eventually met because the supernatural power of the Holy Spirit was working in both their lives to direct them to one another, at which time Cornelius and his family heard the gospel, believed it and received the outpouring of the Holy Spirit.

In other words, these visions are what led to the gospel first being preached to the Gentiles. It also opened the door for the entire church to begin receiving revelation from God concerning how He planned all along for this to happen, based on several Old Testament verses.

So the supernatural was playing a part in the pure word being ministered. Even Pentecost itself, where the Holy Spirit was poured out in great measure, ran a parallel with Mount Sinai, where the supernatural power of God was preset to give the Israelites the word. And on Pentecost, the apostle Peter declared that Joel 2 was now starting to be fulfilled, and that dreams and visions would be granted to the church to cause her to grow in the knowledge of God.

14 But Peter, standing up with the eleven, raised his voice and said to them, “Men of Judea and all who dwell in Jerusalem, let this be known to you, and heed my words. 15 For these are not drunk, as you suppose, since it is only the third hour of the day. 16 But this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel: 17 ‘And it shall come to pass in the last days,' says God, 'that I will pour out of My Spirit upon all flesh. Your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your young men shall see visions, your old men shall dream dreams. 18 And upon My menservants and My maidservants I will pour out My Spirit in those days, and they shall prophesy.19 I will show wonders in heaven above and signs in the earth beneath. Blood and fire and vapor of smoke. 20 The sun shall be turned into darkness and the moon into blood, before the coming of the great and awesome day of the Lord. 21 And it shall come to pass that whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.’" (Acts 2:13-21)

If only this had remained the way the church operated in the things of God.

Ceasing To Receive As Children

One must become as a child to move in the prophetic. You don't know if what you are saying is actually true or of God or not, but you are being called to speak things forth, risking looking foolish. Tongues is no different. The disciples had to endure others thinking they were drunk, and Paul admitted in another place that visitors who saw that gift in operation would declare they had gone mad. But this is part of why the Lord commands us become as "little children." When we speak and act as the Spirit gives us utterance, the Holy Spirit is the One causing us as a body to "grow in the pure word of God" rather than the mere words of men.

Supernatural utterance continued to be attested by the early church well into the next two centuries. Justin Martyr wrote in the second century that "the prophetical gifts remain with us, even to the present time." Irenaeus added "We also hear many brethren in the church who possess prophetic gifts, and who through the Spirit speak all kinds of languages, and bring to light, for the general benefit, the hidden things of men and declare the mysteries of God... some do certainly and truly drive out devils, so that those who have thus been cleansed from evil spirits frequently both believe [in Christ], and join themselves to the Church. Others have foreknowledge of things to come. They see visions, and utter prophetic expressions. Others still, heal the sick by laying their hands upon them, and they are made whole. Yea, moreover, as I have said, the dead even have been raised up, and remained among us for many years." And Origen as late as the mid 3rd Century was still professing to have been an eye-witness to many instances of exorcism, healing, and prophecy. Yet by the 5th century men like Augustine and Chrysostom were attesting that the gifts were now largely gone.

The Lord wanted the church to remain as children who continued receiving instruction through the Holy Spirit, yet the enemy crept in and began telling them they were "adults" instead, and didn't need the gifts. They had spiritually "grown up" now and could handle it themselves. The name "Chrysostom" meant "golden mouthed," and by the time such men were assuming leadership over the church, it was becoming a religious institution run and led by professional orators and rhetoricians rather than Spirit-led, common men like the Lord first chose. Now the church was being led by the very kind of men Paul said he was nothing like when he told the Corinthians:

1 Brethren, when I came to you, I did not come with excellence of speech or of wisdom declaring unto you the testimony of God.... my speech and my preaching were not with persuasive words of human wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, 5 that your faith should not be in the wisdom of men but in the power of God. (1 Corinthians 2:1, 4-5)

The supernatural gifts continued to survive in what some early church writers referred to as "vestiges" of their former selves until the time of the Reformation, when the worst possible scenario unfolded. While wanting to defend themselves against Catholic excesses and abuses, instead of seeking God for a restoration of the gifts in their New Testament manifestations, the Reformed Movement completely threw the baby out with the bathwater and declared all supernatural gifts were not of God.

Cessationism is, generally speaking, a doctrine of Reformed Christianity. Prior to the Protestant Reformation, there was no such explicit doctrine... there were sporadic mentions of some gifts, such as speaking in tongues, and more frequently, but still unusually, of healings and miracles. It was when these miracles in the Catholic Church were used as a polemic against the post-Reformation Protestant churches that John Calvin began to develop a doctrine of cessationism, and it was primarily in the Calvinist tradition that this doctrine was developed. The argument was that as the gifts of the Spirit must have necessarily ceased at the end of the Apostolic Age, it followed that the claims of miracles and healings should be met with skepticism and could not be used by believers to determine God's favor. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cessationism_versus_continuationism)

The Fulfillment Of Joel's Vision

So where are we now, and what must be done to grow the end-time army of God through the pure and sincere word of God, especially through Spirit-filled visions and dreams, and through divine utterance? The Book of Joel gives the answer. We must now turn our hearts back to God with fasting and prayer, and cry out to Him to restore unto us the years that the caterpillar, the cankerworm, the palmerworm and the locust (or in other words demonic spirits) have stolen away:

12 “Now, therefore,” says the Lord, “Turn to Me with all your heart, with fasting, with weeping, and with mourning." 13 So rend your heart, and not your garments. Return to the Lord your God, for He is gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness, and He relents from doing harm... 23 Rejoice then and be glad, ye children of Sion, in the Lord your God, for He has given you food fully, and He will rain on you the early and the latter rain, as before. 24 And the floors shall be filled with corn, and the presses shall overflow with wine and oil. 25 And I will recompense you for the years which the locust, and the caterpillar, and the palmerworm, and the cankerworm have eaten, and restore my great army, which I sent among you. 26 And you shall eat abundantly, and be satisfied, and shall praise the name of the Lord your God which he has wrought wonderfully with you (Joel 2:12-13, 34-36)

When the true church devotes herself to fasting and prayer, the Lord's great army will restore true spirtual food to His people through supernatural gifts, as it was in the beginning. The phrase "great army" could also be translated "great power" in the Greek Old Testament, in which case it refers more specifically to the Holy Spirit being poured out during what Joel refers to as the "latter rain." Either way, the church will eat abundantly once again, for through dreams, visions and prophecy the Holy Spirit will minister true spiritual food to those who have ears to hear once again.

28 And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your old men shall dream dreams, and your young men shall see visions. 29 And on my servants and on handmaids in those days will I pour out of my Spirit. 30 And I will shew wonders in heaven, and upon the earth, blood, and fire, and vapor of smoke. 31 The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the great and glorious day of the Lord come. 32 And it shall come to pass whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved (Joel 2:28-32)

So what is He telling us then? It will not just happen as a result of fasting and prayer, but when we truly rend our hearts before Him, and the importance of this cannot be understated. It says, "Turn to Me with all your heart, with fasting, weeping and mourning." The Holy Spirit is a Person, and desires to be wanted. If we weep like innocent infants crying out for the sincere and pure milk of the word again, it will surely be given, but we must cry out to Him letting Him know how truly we need Him, and what only He can provide.

I will close with a poignant quote from a sister I read on one of the forums recently, and it goes like this:

The Holy Spirit is a person and not just a power or force that we seek to improve our Christian ministry. Too often, we seek the gifts of the Holy Spirit and do not seek to develop a relationship with the Holy Spirit. We need to see the Holy Spirit as a person and cultivate a relationship with Him, like we did with the Father and Jesus. We need to remember that we ought to talk to the Holy Spirit and love Him, and not just want the gifts that He can give to us. Do not seek only after the Holy Spirit's gifts. Rather, be a friend of the Holy Spirit. - His Handmaiden

This is the message the Lord was trying to get across to us in Joel 2:12-31. When the end-time church finally longs for her God and desires Him with all her heart, He will respond, and nurture her with the pure and living word once again.

Questions And Applications

1. How do you feel about prophetic dreams and visions. Are they something you desire to receive knowledge of from God (whether they come through you or from others), or do you still view them with suspicion and uncertainty?

2. Many teach that visions and dreams are not to be placed on the same level as the written word of God, and I personally agree. But how important should we view them, and on what level should we be placing them? If any have been especially important to your walk with the Lord describe them.

3. What would you say to Cessationists who still believe the gifts are not for today, and that we must trust only in the written word?

Don't mean to be a negative nelly, but I always have to say what I think. My thought is that although I'm very happy that the Christian Gospel engulfed Europe and rendered its citizens "Christian," resulting in state churches, I think that the mix of true Christians and nominal Christians has tended to dilute the Gospel and reduce "miracles." I think that where unbelief mixes in too much, the supernatural tends to be reduced in effect.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not against either the high churches or the low churches, whether Catholic, Orthodox, Lutheran, Reformed, Baptist, Pentecostal--whatever. It's just that historically, the bigger the Christian organization, the more diminished the spiritual manifestation.

Catholics have long had their "miracle phenomena," but it may have been relegated more to the monks and nuns, or great saints of lore. I think, however, that as Christianity became less "popular" in our day, those who persist in worshping Christ have found a more solid bunch to interract with, and Charismatic phenomena has been more forthcoming.

I hope this is the direction we're going in! I really want to see more of God's manifest presence, above us and through us.

Back