Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Christ applies redemption as well!

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
No everyone wasnt saved while they were enemies. That sounds like universalism, and thats not scriptural. Some people are lost as enemies. Those Christ died for were reconciled to God while enemies, and they shall be saved by His Life. Read Rom 5:10, the sinner didnt do anything. God in Christ did it all

Everyone is an enemy of God until they repent; turn to God and confess Him as Lord, which means they turn away from Satan as their lord, in which they are delivered from the dominion of darkness, and are transferred into the kingdom of God.

I will deliver you from the Jewish people, as well as from the Gentiles, to whom I now send you, to open their eyes, in order to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who are sanctified by faith in Me.’ “Therefore, King Agrippa, I was not disobedient to the heavenly vision, but declared first to those in Damascus and in Jerusalem, and throughout all the region of Judea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent, turn to God, and do works befitting repentance. Acts 26:16-20

This is the purpose of the gospel; turning people away from Satan to Jesus Christ as Lord.

JLB

They are raised with Him also !

All those Christ died for as their Representative Head, they also, as He was raised from the dead [on their behalf Rom 4:25] by the Glory of the Father Per Rom 6:4

Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

They also were raised together with Him so that they can walk in the Newness of Life, being raised from the Spiritual dead; Thats why its written in 1 Pet 1:3, that those Christ died for are begotten again, which reflects the fact that they were in Him when He was raised from the Dead as their Head and Saviour Representative, and by this New Birth, we begin a New Life, and we do not continue to sin that Grace may abound, simply because in the New Born Again Nature we cannot sin, being born of God 1 Jn 3:9

9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

1 Jn 5:18

18 We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

Please Note. This New Life from being begotten again is not the life the believer has in Adam which continually sins ! However this Life of being born of God cannot sin !

Notice Col 3:1

If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.

See that ? When was the believer risen with Christ ? It was precisely at the same Time Christ was raised from the dead as the Head of the Body.

The believer did not cooperate with God in his being raised from the dead, he was raised representatively with Christ.

Paul uses the aorist indicative passive here Ye were raised. He uses the same here Eph 2:6 but the active voice, because God did the raising, and those Christ died for were raised up together with Christ when God did they raising.

And the believer believed as a consequence of that Fact of being raised up with Christ, Col 2:12

12 Buried with him in baptism[His Death], wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith [faithfulness] of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

12 you were buried along with him by being immersed; and in union with him, you were also raised up along with him by God’s faithfulness that worked when he raised Yeshua from the dead. CJB

Faith here should be rendered faithfulness, as its the Father's Faithfulness that raises up His Son from the dead. Christ always had an eye to His Father's Faithfulness to do that Ps 16:10

10 For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

Ps 89:24

But my faithfulness and my mercy shall be with him: and in my name shall his horn be exalted. See Exaltation of Christ Phil 2:8-9

But also, Faith is produced in all those Christ died for, its produced by God's Power that raised up Christ from the dead Eph 1:19

19 And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,

Thats why Peter says we are begotten again to a lively Hope 1 Pet 1:3. Hope is the Twin Brother of Faith, so Faith is the substance of things hoped for !

All who come to Faith and or Hope in Christ, only make manifest that they were raised together with Him, when God raised Christ from the dead !

Everyone is an enemy of God until they repent; turn to God and confess Him as Lord, which means they turn away from Satan as their lord, in which they are delivered from the dominion of darkness, and are transferred into the kingdom of God.

I will deliver you from the Jewish people, as well as from the Gentiles, to whom I now send you, to open their eyes, in order to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who are sanctified by faith in Me.’ “Therefore, King Agrippa, I was not disobedient to the heavenly vision, but declared first to those in Damascus and in Jerusalem, and throughout all the region of Judea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent, turn to God, and do works befitting repentance. Acts 26:16-20

This is the purpose of the gospel; turning people away from Satan to Jesus Christ as Lord.

JLB
Those Christ died for are reconciled to God while they are enemies, thats before they repent. Rom 5:10

10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

Those Christ died for are reconciled to God while they are enemies, thats before they repent. Rom 5:10

Christ died for all the world.

And He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the whole world. 1 John 2:2

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16

JLB

Christ died for all the world.

And He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the whole world. 1 John 2:2

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16

JLB
Those Christ died for were reconciled to God while being enemies/unbelievers. Rom 5:10

10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

Christ says that He is the final judge of all peoples. To be that judge He would have to be completely fair and just in His dealings with man. This is one reason why God gives relentless opportunities for peoples to come to Him throughout all history and future.

Those Christ died for were reconciled to God while being enemies/unbelievers. Rom 5:10

The way God reconciles unbelievers/enemies to Himself is through the Gospel.

The call of God to unbelievers/enemies is to repent.

Repent means to turn to God in submission to Jesus Christ as Lord.

• The way a person obeys this call of the Gospel to repent is to confess Jesus Christ as Lord.

that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.
For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. Romans 10:9-10

The call to repent is the call to turn away from Satan as your lord, by turning to Jesus Christ as Lord.

I will deliver you from the Jewish people, as well as from the Gentiles, to whom I now send you, to open their eyes, in order to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who are sanctified by faith in Me.’ Acts 26:17-18

Obeying the Gospel is how a person is reconciled to God.

JLB

Redemption is Salvation !

Many today in organized religion would make a difference between Salvation and Redemption, in God saving one and God redeeming one; But there really is no difference at all, If God Redeems us then He saves us, simple as that. God and the Lamb are Universally praised as to the effects, accomplishments of Christ's Redeeming Death Rev 5:9-10

9 And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation;

10 And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.

Here the redemption effected makes those Christ died for God's purchased possession as in Titus 2:14

14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

The NAS reads:

14 who gave Himself for us to redeem us from every lawless deed, and to purify for Himself a people for His own possession, zealous for good deeds.

The word redeemed here can also mean saved or ransomed, He saved us unto God or ransomed us unto God, all of these are Salvation Words, Synonyms:

For Salvation is meant here Lk 1:68

68 Blessed be the Lord God of Israel; for he hath visited and redeemed his people,

The word lutrósis:

(in the Old Testament: ransoming from imprisonment for debt, or from slavery, release from national misfortune, etc.), liberation, deliverance, release

Now the greek word Salvation means:

welfare, prosperity, deliverance, preservation, salvation, safety.

If one has been redeemed, they have been saved. The terms are as interchangeable as one saying Let me ride in your car and one saying let me ride in your automobile !

Notice about Israel saved Ex 14:30

Thus the Lord saved Israel that day out of the hand of the Egyptians; and Israel saw the Egyptians dead upon the sea shore.

Israel redeemed 1 Chron 17:21

And what one nation in the earth is like thy people Israel, whom God went to redeem to be his own people, to make thee a name of greatness and terribleness, by driving out nations from before thy people whom thou hast redeemed out of Egypt?

So when Paul writes of Redemption Eph 1:7

7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;

It means Eph 1:7

7 In whom we have Salvation through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace; !

• The way a person obeys this call of the Gospel to repent is to confess Jesus Christ as Lord.

that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.
For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. Romans 10:9-10

The call to repent is the call to turn away from Satan as your lord, by turning to Jesus Christ as Lord.

I will deliver you from the Jewish people, as well as from the Gentiles, to whom I now send you, to open their eyes, in order to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who are sanctified by faith in Me.’ Acts 26:17-18

JLB
Post 442, did you read and understand.

Post 442, did you read and understand.

yes.

And here is my response.

Do you understand this?

• I will deliver you from the Jewish people, as well as from the Gentiles, to whom I now send you, to open their eyes, in order to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God

Do you believe their is another way to be saved, reconciled to God, other than by hearing and obeying the Gospel of Jesus Christ?

JLB

yes.

And here is my response.

Do you understand this?

• I will deliver you from the Jewish people, as well as from the Gentiles, to whom I now send you, to open their eyes, in order to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God

Do you believe their is another way to be saved, reconciled to God, other than by hearing and obeying the Gospel of Jesus Christ?

JLB
So review with me the points I made and scripture used please.

Christ applies redemption as well !

The Lord Jesus Christ in His Threefold Mediatorial Character as Priest, prophet and King, makes sure that the Salvation He accomplished for all those He died for, (He died for All mankind) is experienced by them, that is, not only was His blood a bare purchase and then He sets back and offers it, but also by Him as King, He applies it to its subjects to give it effect, to bestow its benefits of grace, they being destined to be conformed into His image, which is their total salvation.

For this cause He was invested with all power in both heaven and earth as per Matt 28:18

18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

Jn 17:2

2 As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give[apply] eternal life to as many as thou hast given him.

The word power in Matt 28:18 and Jn 17:2 is the greek word exousia:

power of choice, liberty of doing as one pleases

a) leave or permission

2) physical and mental power

a) the ability or strength with which one is endued, which he either possesses or exercises

3) the power of authority (influence) and of right (privilege)

Jesus made this point very clear, that He has all Power to His [Disciples] at their commission. This was not just to be saying that He has all power, but in and through their witness of the Truth of His death, He would be applying that which He purchased as Priest [His offering of Himself] by His own blood, their salvation.

So review with me the points I made and scripture used please.

I’m reviewing you with the scriptures and points from my response to your post.

I have asked you a simple question that I am requiring you to answer.

Here it is again —

• Do you believe their is another way to be saved, reconciled to God, other than by hearing and obeying the Gospel of Jesus Christ?

I will deliver you from the Jewish people, as well as from the Gentiles, to whom I now send you, to open their eyes, in order to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who are sanctified by faith in Me.Acts 26:17-18

Do you understand this?

JLB

By His stripes we are healed !

1 Pet 2:24

24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

So because of His stripes [death], those He died for receive a New Heart for their healing, their being made whole. By nature, all men to include the elect have a heart that is incurably evil, sick Jer 17:9

9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

The word desperately is the word 'anash and means:

to be weak, sick, frail

a) (Qal)

1) to be incurable

2) to be sick

3) desperate, incurable, desperately wicked, woeful, very sick (pass participle) (metaph.)

b) (Niphal) to be sick

The word incurable means:

not curable; that cannot be cured, remedied, or corrected: an incurable disease.

not susceptible to change human heart is incurablely wicked and evil, it cannot change.

There is another scripture that confirms this Truth Jer 13:23

Can the Ethiopian change his skin, or the leopard his spots? then may ye also do good, that are accustomed to do evil.

This is all humans by nature, we are accustomed to do evil. This word accustomed means taught, instructed in, trained in doing evil ! Thats because of the evil heart, and it can no more chane as can a leopard his spots, or an ethiopian his skin.

This is very important truth. Scripture here is very clear that the wicked heart cannot change. The word change in Jer 13:23 is the word haphak and means:

to turn, overthrow, overturn

a) (Qal)

1) to overturn, overthrow

2) to turn, turn about, turn over, turn around

3) to change, transform

b) (Niphal)

1) to turn oneself, turn, turn back

2) to change oneself

3) to be perverse

4) to be turned, be turned over, be changed, be turned against

5) to be reversed

6) to be overturned, be overthrown

7) to be upturned

It also means converted as in Isa 60:5

5 Then thou shalt see, and flow together, and thine heart shall fear, and be enlarged; because the abundance of the sea shall be converted unto thee, the forces of the Gentiles shall come unto thee.

This all tells us that the human heart cannot repent towards God and stop doing evil ! We cannot change.

But, the death of Christ, His stripes heals, and as an evidence, a New Heart in New Birth is given which enables us to live unto Righteousness experimentally and entails being born again or anew, it means we are made experimentally righteous in order to do righteous.

Now again, by nature the heart of the sons of men are fully set in them to do evil Gen 6:5

5 And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

Ecclesiastes 8:11

Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men are fully set in them to do evil.

Gen 8:21

21 And the Lord smelled a sweet savour; and the Lord said in his heart, I will not again curse the ground any more for man's sake; for the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth; neither will I again smite any more every thing living, as I have done.

And so finally, before any man can do good [spiritually good and pleasing to God] he must be healed, made whole, cured by Christ's stripes, and that is what His stripes accomplished and effects for those whose sins He bare, it causes them to live unto Righteousness !

I’m reviewing you with the scriptures and points from my response to your post.

I have asked you a simple question that I am requiring you to answer.

Here it is again —

• Do you believe their is another way to be saved, reconciled to God, other than by hearing and obeying the Gospel of Jesus Christ?

I will deliver you from the Jewish people, as well as from the Gentiles, to whom I now send you, to open their eyes, in order to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who are sanctified by faith in Me.Acts 26:17-18

Do you understand this?

JLB
You fail to discuss what Im saying.

It changes the sinner !

Those who deny that Christ's death in and of itself, saves those He died for, they are guilty of reducing the Value of His Blood to that no more than the animal blood used in the OT, that were mere types and shadows of His Blood. For those animal offerings could not appease the wrath of God, nor could they change the sinner, but Christ's Sacrifice of Himself hath once and for all Satisfied God's Law and Justice, and Wrath against all those for whom He died, the Sheep. He has propitiated God for them 1 Jn 2:2; 1 Jn 4:10

10 Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.

10 In this is love: not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation (the atoning sacrifice) for our sins.

properly, propitiation; an offering to appease (satisfy) an angry, offended party.

And He reconciled them to God Rom 5:10

10 For if, when we were enemies/unbelievers, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

But more, not only did Christ's offering of Himself propitiate God and reconcile us to God, it also effected or effects in us an inward change Heb 9:14

14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

Now who and what does the inspired writer here credit for the purifying of the conscience from dead works to serving the Living God ? Now lets see who will answer this question honestly from this scripture ?

It changes the sinner 2

In my opinion the writer of Hebrews 9:14 credits the Blood of Christ for the change. The OT did not affect the conscious Heb 9:9

9 Which was a figure for the time then present, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience;

Heb 10:1-3

For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect. See Heb 10:14

2 For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins.

3 But in those sacrifices there is a remembrance again made of sins every year.

The Sacrifice of Christ affected the inward being [conscience] Heb 9:14;10:22

14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

Heb 10:22

22 Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.

As well as it ushers us into the service of God. That word serve in Heb 9:14 latreuō:

II.to serve, minister to, either to the gods or men and used alike of slaves and freemen
A.
in the NT, to render religious service or homage, to worship

B.
to perform sacred services, to offer gifts, to worship God in the observance of the rites instituted for his worship
i.
of priests, to officiate, to discharge the sacred office

So its just as John writes here Rev 1:5-6

And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,

6 And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

Hath made us Kings and Priests symbolizes Spiritual Service to the Living God. But now if Christ's Blood has no more influence than the blood of goats and rams, or sin offerings and burnt offerings which He takes no pleasure in Heb 10:4-9

4 For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.

5 Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:

6 In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure.

7 Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God.

8 Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law;

9 Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.

Then we have a very low opinion of it [Christ's Blood] which in my opinion is tantamount to Blasphemy !

Christ's intercession is for all whom He died !

Rom 8:34

4 Who then is the one who condemns? No one. Christ Jesus who died—more than that, who was raised to life—is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us.NIV

Does Christ make intercession for everyone He died for ? Yes He does, and that while thy are yet unbelievers, or before they believe, though they shall believe as here Jn 17:20

20 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;

Jesus here is praying for everyone who shall ever believe on Him through their Preaching the Gospel ! He knows who they are, for they are His Sheep who shall through them hear His Voice Jn 10:16

16 I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd.

Note: Thats why the Second Coming had not yet occurred, for all the Sheep up unto the end of the age must hear His voice and believe 2 Pet 3:9.

The Sheep however, before they believe, are as all men by nature, unbelievers and enemies and children of wrath Eph 2:3

3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.

Yet because He died for them, and rose again for their Justification Rom 4:25, He makes Intercession for them.

Most in organized religion do not believe that Christ makes intercession for unbelievers He died for, which is very unreasonable when you consider His very words in Jn 17:20 and that He Loved them and gave Himself for them, even while they were Unbelievers and Enemies Eph 5:25

25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;

Rom 5:6-8

For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.

7 For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die.

8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

They think that after He has done the greater for them [Died for them], while they are enemies, He will not do the lesser, He suffered and died for them while they were ungodly, but will refuse to make intercession for them while they are ungodly.

Now if His Death did reconcile them to God while they were yet being enemies as clearly stated here Rom 5:10

Then why would He withhold Intercession for them based upon the fact that He died for them , while they are yet enemies, for Has not the Apostle also written here Rom 8:33-34

33 Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth.

34 Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.

In fact its a Truth that those Christ died for and reconciled by His death, it is true that they shall be saved by His Life Rom 5:10, and that is confirmed in that those whom He intercedes in behalf of, doeth by that [intercession] come unto God by Him, meaning by His Life of Intercession for them Heb 7:25

25 Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.

Thats the fulfillment of the promise in Rom 5:10 that they shall be saved by His Life, that life by which He ever liveth to make Intercession for them, that is He intercedes on their behalf that an application of His Saving death and merits be applied unto them, and He always is Heard by His Father for them !

If those Christ died for do not become Believers, His Death for them as well as His Intercession for them has failed miserably !

Believers are His Inheritance !

Ps 2:6-8

6 Yet have I set my king upon my holy hill of Zion.

7 I will declare the decree: the Lord hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee.

8 Ask of me, and I shall give thee the heathen for thine inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the earth for thy possession.

Most in organized religions do not understand that believers are Christ's Reward for His Death's Accomplishment. The Resurrected Son here is encouraged to ask and the Father will give Him His Inheritance [Here Gentile Believers] and His Possession.

Thats why Jesus says of some Jn 6:37

All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

Back up in Vs 8 the word inheritance is the word nachalah and means:

possession, property, inheritance, heritage

a) property

b) portion, share

c) inheritance, portion

Its used here as heritage Mic 7:18

18 Who is a God like unto thee, that pardoneth iniquity, and passeth by the transgression of the remnant of his heritage? he retaineth not his anger for ever, because he delighteth in mercy.

So Christ as the Risen Saviour King has an remnant within the jews, and within the Gentiles or here called the Heathen. They are just as much His Inheritance and Possession as the elect jews were. Thats why Jesus said,other Sheep I have [possess] which are not of this fold, of the jews sheep pen.

Jn 10:16

16 And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.

The One Sheepfold Is the House of Israel !

That word have is the word echō and means:

to have i.e. own, possess

There is another word in Ps 2:8, the word possession, a different word in hebrew but akin to the former, and its the word 'achuzzah

possession, property

a) land

b) possession by inheritance

This word has the connotation of taking hold of, seizing

The word ask in Ps 2:8

8 Ask of me, and I shall give thee the heathen for thine inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the earth for thy possession.

Its the word sha'al and means:

to ask, enquire, borrow, beg

a) (Qal)

1) to ask, ask for

2) to ask (as a favour), borrow

3) to enquire, enquire of

4) to enquire of, consult (of deity, oracle)

5) to seek

But it also has a stronger meaning, that of to demand, there is a type of asking that can be demanding as here 1 Sam 8:10

10 And Samuel told all the words of the Lord unto the people that asked of him a king. Vs 5

5 And said unto him, Behold, thou art old, and thy sons walk not in thy ways: now make us a king to judge us like all the nations.

But the Son demands what is His By Inheritance and Right for His Covenant Obedience to the Purpose of God ! Dan 7:14

And there was given him dominion, and glory, and a kingdom, that all people, nations, and languages, should serve him: his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom that which shall not be destroyed.

Thats who believes on Christ, those of His Inheritance, His Possessions ! Those whom He redeemed by His Blood !

He is the Captain of their Salvation by His Death !

Heb 2:9-10

9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.

10 For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings.

The Every Man in Vs 9, Christ by tasting death in behalf of them, becomes the Captain of their Salvation. So if He tasted death for one, He is that one's Saviour. What does this word Captain mean ? Its the word archēgos:

the chief leader, prince

a) of Christ

2) one that takes the lead in any thing and thus affords an example, a predecessor in a matter, pioneer

3) the author

In this context He is the Author of their Salvation by means of tasting death for them, by which He will lead them to Glory !

He is the Author in that He is the causation of their Salvation. He is the determinant of it.

By this, He is also the Author of their Faith Heb 12:2

2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

What Faith is that ? Heb 11:1

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

This Faith accompanies the Salvation He is the Author of Heb 2:10

10 For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings.

For Christ to taste death for someone, and that Person is not saved by it, makes His Death insufficient to save them, and deprives Him of being the Captain, or the Author of their Salvation.

The ASV

10 For it became him, for whom are all things, and through whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the author of their salvation perfect through sufferings.

He is also the Pioneer of their Salvation

He is the Head of those He died and rose in behalf of, a went into the presence of God in the Heavenly regions to appear before God's for them as the Captain of their Salvation. Heb 9:12

Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.

Heb 9:24

For Christ is not entered into the holy places made with hands, which are the figures of the true; but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us:

As our forerunner or pioneer Heb 6:20

Whither the forerunner is for us entered, even Jesus, made an high priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.

Forerunner/prodromos:

a forerunner

a) esp. one who is sent before to take observations or act as a spy, a scout, a light armed soldier

b) one who comes in advance to a place where the rest are to follow

Thats also the definition of a pioneer:

a person who is among those who first enter or settle a region, thus opening it for occupation and development by others.

Back