Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Christ applies redemption as well!

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Accomplished by Christ's Blood alone !

By Christ's Blood alone, all for whom He died have, even before they are born sinners, and after being born sinners but not yet believers in Christ, in fact, while they are His Enemies by nature, they all have by the Blood of Christ alone: Reconciliation, Redemption, Remission / Forgiveness of sins, Justification, and these are all in a scriptural sense the same, and the result of the Death or Blood of Christ alone.

Eph 1:7

In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;

To say we have Redemption through His Blood, and even the forgiveness of sins, is the same as saying we have Reconciliation or even Justification through His Blood.

Understand, to say that we were Reconciled to God by Christ,s Death, while being Enemies Rom 5:10, is no less or different in saying that we are Justified or have forgiveness of sins while being enemies, by or through His Death !250

It makes them alive ! 2

2 Cor 5:14-15

14 For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead:

15 And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again.

Since by the Death of Christ, all for whom He did die, they are delivered from the legal and judicial guilt of all their sins, as well as from the penalty of sin, Death. In light of this, His Death secured for them the effectual workings of the Spirit in them, as well as the giving of them spiritual life from spiritual death, for this is the Blessed effects of what Christ accomplished for them.

All for whom He died have no sins charged against them because of Christ's Work, and also by it [His Work] they have been declared Just, so to them, for Christ's Work sake in their behalf, must be given Life by the Spirit, hence we have Justification to Life Rom 5:18

18 Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.

Spiritual life flows[By the Spirit] to all whom Christ's Death Justified or made Just.

This verse Rom 5:18 presents to view the Two main accomplishments and effects by the One Act of Righteousness by Jesus Christ, which denotes His Death, and these are : #1 Justification and #2 Life, which is spiritual life from the dead by the Spirit [Eph 2:5]

If Spiritual Life or quickening from the Spirit is never in this life communicated to an individual, then rest assured that Christ did not do away by His Death of their sins before God's Law and Justice, and they still have an penalty of sin to answer for !

His Death actually saves them He died for !

1 Pet 2:24

24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

And believers may testify to this because believing is but an evidence of healing or of being saved.

Scripture is plain here that Salvation comes through Christ's death, or stripes or wounds.

The word heal here in 1 Peter 2:24 is the greek word iaomai and means to:

to cure, heal

2) to make whole

a) to free from errors and sins, to bring about (one's) salvation

The healing here is not physical but of spiritual disease and because its the Lord, its a supernatural healing.

In Isa 53:5 the word literally means that healing has come to us, its like what Paul says Rom 5:18, so spiritual healing is the free gift that comes to all whom Christ died !

That healing means Salvation is implied here Jer 17:14

14 Heal me, O Lord, and I shall be healed; save me, and I shall be saved: for thou art my praise.

Also Christ's Death, Stripes or Wounds, for all those whose sins He bare 1 Pet 2:24

"Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree"

His stripes shall heal their deadly wound of spiritual death brought upon them by sin Rev 13:3

3 And I saw one of his heads as it were wounded to death; and his deadly wound was healed: and all the world wondered after the beast.

The principle being here that something that was considered dead, as all for whom Christ died are by nature Eph 2:5

5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ[Healed], (by grace ye are saved or healed)

Yes, Healing experimentally comes by quickening.

Ecclesiastes 3:3

3 A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;

Here healing appears to be the reversal of killing or putting to death !

But by Christ's Death / Stripes those He died for are healed by sins death wound, for the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is healing from death !

Notice 1 Peter 2:24

24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

The healing causes us to be able to Live unto Righteousness, for that was the end and purpose of the stripes, to produce fruit that would live unto God or unto Righteousness , which is to live by Faith, for it is written, the Just [or Righteous] shall live by Faith; So if any of us truly live by Faith, we have Christ's Stripes or Death to Thank for that, for a Life of Faith is by Him as that Gift of God Eph 2:8-9

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: His Death or Stripes is the Gift of God !

9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Also this is a serious indictment against all who deny that Christ's Death alone, in and of itself, is what saved those He died for !

It Gives Faith in Christ !

Jn 12:32

32 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.

Now drawing effects coming as in Jn 6:44

44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Same word draw as in Jn 12:32 !

And the coming results in not being cast out Jn 6:37

37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

Coming is also the same as believing we derive that from Jn 6:64-65

64 But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray him.

65 And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father.

Jesus here clearly equates not believing or believing not in Vs 64
with not having been able to come to Him in Vs 65. So if anyone understands drawing to Christ to be anything less than coming to Him believing or in Faith as to Salvation, they are ignorant to the meaning of the drawing [ Divine Power] to Him. Coming to Him denotes Faith in operation Heb 11:6. This drawing and coming is the result of an inward and irresistible call or summons by the voice of the Shepherd Saviour to His Sheep. Jn 10:3-4

To him the porter openeth; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out.

4 And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice.

The word for draw in Jn 12:32 the greek word helkō it also carries the idea of leading:

to draw, drag off

2) metaph., to draw by inward power, lead, impel

Jesus assures that this occurs to all for whom He was lifted up in behalf of !

Loved us and Washed us from our sins !

Rev 1:5

5 And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,

Now when did those Christ died for, whom he Loved Eph 5:25

25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;

Church here corresponds with us in Rev 1:5

5 And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us[The Church], and washed us[The Church] from our sins in his own blood,

Now when were they Loved by Him and when were they washed from their sins ?

Well as far as the Loving them goes, it was set upon them before the world began. As to the washing them from their sins, legally it happened at His Death, the shedding of His Blood. After having died, and being risen it is stated Heb 1:3

3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged[or washed our sins away], sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high:

That word purged means:

cleansing, purification, a ritual purgation or washing

a) of the washing of the Jews before and after their meals

b) of levitical purification of women after childbirth

c) a cleansing from the guilt of sins wrought by the expiatory sacrifice of Christ

Now what does this mean ? It means that everyone Christ Loved and died for , that before they know anything about it, and while they are yet enemies and unbelievers, children of wrath by nature as others, they have been by the blood of Christ washed from the legal guilt of sins which is Justification from them, purged of that guilt before God. This means that are Justified from, and forgiven of all their sins. They are before God, legally innocent of any sins being charged by God unto them, now and forever !

This had nothing to do with anything they did ! No, they did not have to believe or repent to get that Legal standing of Justification from all sin before God, Christ did it all and set down at the Right Hand of the Majesty on High !254

It makes us free from sin !

Jn 8:36

If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.

All for whom Christ died are made free from sin, from being a servant of sin

Jn 8:34-35

34 Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin.

35 And the servant abideth not in the house for ever: but the Son abideth ever.

However the Son, for those He died for, makes them free from the servitude of sin, Thats how the Son makes you free Vs 36

Now all for whom He died are made free from sins servitude which Paul means by this Rom 6:18

Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.

Both being made free from sin and becoming the servants of righteousness, the subjects are being acted upon, in other words the being made free in the greek is ἐλευθερόω and is in the passive voice. The subject did not fee himself, but was set free ! Remember the Covenant blessing of Christ is:

Isa 42:7

6 I the Lord have called thee in righteousness, and will hold thine hand, and will keep thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles;

7 To open the blind eyes, to bring out the prisoners from the prison, and them that sit in darkness out of the prison house.

And also in the greek, the ye became the servants of righteousness, it literally means:

to enslave, bring under subjection

It also is in the passive voice. Christ's death effects the enslavement of them into righteousness.

Now being made free from sin by Christ's death, means being made free from unbelief.

Being in unbelief is liken to being in a prison Rom 11:32

2 For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.

That word concluded is the greek word συγκλείω:

I enclose, shut in, make subject to.

God caused all for whom Christ died for to be subject to unbelief ! To be enclosed by it or imprisoned by it.

And one the effects of His Death for those He died for is to set them free from unbelief !

Thats why when one believes its an evidence of the effects of Christ having set them free from unbelief or sin !

Is the Reason for Adoption !

The Death of the Lord Jesus Christ accomplished the reason for receiving the Spirit of Adoption.

All for whom Christ died, He redeemed from the curse of the Law, solely by what He did, God made Him a curse for all whom He died Gal 3:13

13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:

And because of that or in order to Gal 4:4-5

4 But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law,

5 To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons.

Which is accomplished by sending the Spirit into their Hearts V6 Gal 4:6

4 But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law,

5 To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons.

6 And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.

So to make it short and to the point, all whom Christ died for, have been redeemed from the curse of the Law, and they shall all receive the Spirit in their Hearts.

Ezk 36:27

And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

Christ's Death alone Delivers those He died for !

Many today in organized religion, have attempted to deprive Christ of His Saving Accomplishment through and by His Cross Work for in behalf of all for whom He died [Particular Redemption] because they do deny the Efficaciousness of the Atonement, so that man can receive some praise and Glory for his own Salvation; and they say its the act of the person that finally makes the difference in them being saved or lost, and that Christ's Death in and of itself did not determine that. That is against Christ as it can get !!

However it is Christ's Redemptive Death alone that does determine who is saved or is Lost, for its only by His Death that those He died for are delivered from the bondage, the slavery to sin that we partake of by nature, slavery to the devil. There are scriptures that make that clear Heb 2:14-15

14 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;

15 And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.

Through Christ's Death alone, He has destroyed, rendered in operative, the prince of death and darkness, and the power he had over them. for all He died for.

So it is to be ascribed to His Death alone, that any He died for has been delivered from the satanic domain of death and darkness as Per Col 1:13-14

13 Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:

14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:

Now here the deliverance is attributed to the Father because it was the Father who gave His Own Son for that deliverance, by which they who He died for receive Redemption [deliverance] and forgiveness of sins Vs 14, and all this is accomplished solely by the Death of Christ, and nothing else, not even what eventually shall happen, a Work of the Spirit in Us and for Us. For the Spirit's Work in Us is complimentary to His Redemptive Accomplishment.

The Spirit's Work is that which conveys, applies the Healing in which Christ's Stripes Achieved 1 Pet 2:24

Christ's Death alone Delivers those He died for !

Many today in organized religion, have attempted to deprive Christ of His Saving Accomplishment through and by His Cross Work for in behalf of all for whom He died [Particular Redemption] because they do deny the Efficaciousness of the Atonement, so that man can receive some praise and Glory for his own Salvation; and they say its the act of the person that finally makes the difference in them being saved or lost, and that Christ's Death in and of itself did not determine that. That is against Christ as it can get !!
"Those He died for" sounds an awful lot like "limited atonement;" meaning that our Lord's death is only for the predestined "elect," and not for all.

2 Corinthians 5:14
For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this, that one died for all, therefore all died;

And "all" means all. Not just the chosen few.

Christ's Death alone Delivers those He died for ! 2

Christ's Death, renders satan's work against all for whom He died ineffective or inoperative, to cause a person or thing to have no further efficiency, to cause to cease, put an end to, do away with, annul, abolish; and because of that he can no longer hold any for whom Christ died under the power of unbelief as he does these 2 Cor 4:3-4

3 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:

4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

By nature, satan has all men [to include the Elect] in the power and prison of unbelief Rom 11:32

32 For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.

32 God has placed all people into the prison of their own disobedience so that he could be merciful to all people.
So by nature man cannot believe Jn 12:39

39 Therefore they could not believe, because that Esaias said again,

Because the power of satan hath blinded their minds. But if Christ has died for one, then there is a set time when Christ's Work makes satan power inoperative over them, and the Merits of Christ's death gives deliverance from captivity or prison [of unbelief] and sight to their blindness Lk 4:18

18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,

That's Christ's Death breaking satans stronghold over God's Elect He died for. Christ is that Stronger Man over the strong man Matt 12:29

Or else how can one enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he first bind the strong man? and then he will spoil his house.

When one becomes a believer its an evidence of the Stronger Man Christ spoiling the goods of the strong man satan !

Christ robs or plunders the Elect soul from satans dominion !

Christ death renders the blindness of mind that causes unbelief, null and void, and so its as Jesus said "recovering of sight to the blind" is effected. The Merits of Christ's Death performs the recovery, and then and only then, does the Gospel become the Power of God unto Salvation for everyone that is believing !

Christ's Death alone Delivers those He died for ! 3

Its because of what Christ's Death accomplished against the great power and strength of the devil, that those whom He died for believed the Gospel, not because of any freewill choice of theirs, that's idolatry; However it is because Christ's Redeeming Death alone delivered all them He died for from the prison house and slavery of satan. Jesus by death bound the strong man and spoiled his goods of which all are by nature. Mark 3:27

No man can enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he will first bind the strong man; and then he will spoil his house.

Christ's Death alone bound the strong man satan, which releases those He died for from the deception and lies of his. Rev 20:2

2 And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years,

Remember what the serpent did to the mother of the elect church eve ? 2 Cor 11:3

3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.

When satan is bound he loses his power of deceiving over the elect of God, but when he is loosed, it is then so that he can deceive. Rev 20:3

And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.

Rev 20:7-8

7 And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison,

And shall go out to deceive the nations
which are in the four quarters of the earth, Gog, and Magog, to gather them together to battle: the number of whom is as the sand of the sea.

This will be only after all the Elect are sealed in the world, the rest satan shall deceive, because Jesus death was not for them, and they remain the goods of the strong man ! That's why True Believers are so grateful for the Accomplishment of Christ's redeeming death, it redeemed them from him who was much stronger than they. Jer 31:11

For the Lord hath redeemed Jacob, and ransomed him from the hand of him that was stronger than he.

Those who teach a false Christ, a Christ whose death did not actually in and of itself save no one, but merely made possible salvation, teach another jesus than the one from Scripture, who has been promised to Save His People from their sins Matt 1:21

21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name Jesus: for he shall save his people from their sins.

Now as an effect of this Jesus's meritorious death, all for whom He died and redeemed through His Blood, the Holy Spirit produces a New Creation in their inner man, its called a New Man Eph 4:24; Col 3:10, or a New Creature Gal 6:14-15

14 But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world.

15 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature.

It is this New Creation or New Man by the Spiritual Graces in Him by the Spirit, that believes In Christ because of Salvation !

Those who teach a false Christ, a Christ whose death did not actually in and of itself save no one, but merely made possible salvation, teach another jesus than the one from Scripture, who has been promised to Save His People from their sins Matt 1:21

21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name Jesus: for he shall save his people from their sins.

Now as an effect of this Jesus's meritorious death, all for whom He died and redeemed through His Blood, the Holy Spirit produces a New Creation in their inner man, its called a New Man Eph 4:24; Col 3:10, or a New Creature Gal 6:14-15

14 But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world.

15 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature.

It is this New Creation or New Man by the Spiritual Graces in Him by the Spirit, that believes In Christ because of Salvation !
The Holy Spirit is sent as a result of Christ's redeeming blood, He is sent to work upon the souls of all whom Christ died and produce in them the efficaciousness of His Death, its Saving Effects. All for whom He died, and He is their living Saviour, the Holy Spirit gives each of them [on behalf of Christ] to experimentally partake of Christ's Life for them 1 Jn 4:9

In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.

Jn 10:10

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

The word might here used with the clause hina is stating the Purpose of God, not a contingency.

In other words, His Death is the cause of those He died for being made alive to God !

Each of them will be made partakers of the Divine Nature by New Birth 2 Pet 1:3-4

3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:

4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

Raised and Exalted a Prince and Saviour !

Acts 5:31

31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

Now scripture here states that He was raised /exalted to be a Prince and a Saviour ! Now what does it mean really that Christ was raised to be a Saviour ?

Its because those for whom He died, and was raised again for their Justification as Per Rom 4:25

25 Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification.

Its because all those are Saved ! He could not be a Risen and Exalted Saviour and Prince without Saved subjects.
Sorry, but He was not exalted to be a potential Prince and Saviour for those He died, but a legitimate, bonifide and actual Saviour of actual individuals.

And that's to whom the Gospel is sent to, to announce to them the Gospel of their Salvation Eph 1:13

13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

And the Gospel to them [the saved] is God's Power [Rom 1:16] persuades them to believe in their Salvation of Christ.

So the Gospel is sent as the Power of God to convert those who are saved by regeneration[Christ's Resurrection Life] Titus 3:5

5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

If those Christ died for and rose again in behalf of are not saved by that, then He did not raise as their Saviour.

The Free Gift is Justification of Life, not a offer !

Rom 5:18

18 Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.

All for whom Christ died, here in this verse called " the righteousness of one" He obtained for them Justification of Life, in other words, all for whom He died and Justified, as an evidence of it, receive Life, Spiritual Life. All for whom He died receive as an Gift, the Effectual Working the Spirit to Life and Salvation. This Gift of Life is bestowed upon them in New Birth.

The HB reads:

So then, as through one trespass there is condemnation for everyone, so also through one righteous act there is life-giving justification for everyone.

The GWT reads:

Therefore, everyone was condemned through one failure, and everyone received God's life-giving approval through one verdict.265

When Jesus said that lifting up [ crucifixion/death on tree] He will draw all men to Him, that's the Life of being Justified.

The Spirit must give Life to all for whom Christ died. Not one soul He died for shall remain in spiritual death, that contradicts the Gift of Justification of Life.

The Free Gift is Justification of Life, not a offer !

Rom 5:18

All for whom Christ died, here in this verse called " the righteousness of one" He obtained for them Justification of Life, in other words, all for whom He died and Justified, as an evidence of it, receive Life, Spiritual Life. All for whom He died receive as an Gift, the Effectual Working the Spirit to Life and Salvation. This Gift of Life is bestowed upon them in New Birth.

The HB reads:

So then, as through one trespass there is condemnation for everyone, so also through one righteous act there is life-giving justification for everyone.

The GWT reads:

Therefore, everyone was condemned through one failure, and everyone received God's life-giving approval through one verdict.265

When Jesus said that lifting up [ crucifixion/death on tree] He will draw all men to Him, that's the Life of being Justified.

The Spirit must give Life to all for whom Christ died. Not one soul He died for shall remain in spiritual death, that contradicts the Gift of Justification of Life.

Christ Jesus was sent by God the Father to die and shed His blood for the world.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
John 3:16

Whosoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. John 3:17

In your estimation, what group of people is excluded from the phrase “the world”?

JLB

He will draw “all men” to Himself.

Are “all men” saved?

JLB

And that's to whom the Gospel is sent to, to announce to them the Gospel of their Salvation Eph 1:13

13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

People are sent to preach the Gospel.

Here is the biblical pattern —

How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher? And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things! But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report? So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. Romans 10:14-17

• But they have not all obeyed the gospel.

Only those who obey the Gospel are saved.

JLB

Repentance is more than just a change of mind. When Hebrew thoughts and concepts were translated into Greek for the NT, often the words did not exactly line up; so it is just as important to understand the underlying Hebrew thought.

To repent, Metanoia in Greek, certainly means to change your mind. But as our Lord and His first disciples were all native Aramaic speakers (dialect of Hebrew spoken in the first century Jewish community) a look at the word to repent in Hebrew is necessary. It is teshuva, and means to turn around and go back the way you came. The root is shub, the verb to turn.

That means repentance is not just a changed mind but a change of life and action as well.

Repent in context to salvation means turn to God, (in submission to Him as Lord)

Words of Christ in red —

So I said, ‘Who are You, Lord?’ And He said, ‘I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting. But rise and stand on your feet; for I have appeared to you for this purpose, to make you a minister and a witness both of the things which you have seen and of the things which I will yet reveal to you. I will deliver you from the Jewish people, as well as from the Gentiles, to whom I now send you, to open their eyes, in order to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who are sanctified by faith in Me.’ “Therefore, King Agrippa, I was not disobedient to the heavenly vision, but declared first to those in Damascus and in Jerusalem, and throughout all the region of Judea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent, turn to God, and do works befitting repentance. Acts 26:15-20

When a person is called to repent, turn to God, then are by default, called to turn away from Satan as their lord.

The way a person turns to God is by confessing Jesus Christ as their Lord.

For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. Romans 10:10

JLB

Back