Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
A little preachy...not much on comic...as in laughing or entertaining.

I remember those childrens books that told Bible stories...I loved them. They are more like comics than this was...this is more like a tract than a comic.

I remember those childrens books that told Bible stories...I loved them. They are more like comics than this was...this is more like a tract than a comic.
Yes, you're right!

It is a tract, and it is certainly preachy, lol.

Technically, it is a comic book tract.

I pass out the tract “This was your life”.

I didnt know they had a “This was your Christian life”.

Much needed.

JLB
They don't.

This one is by a private publisher, made under Title 17 U.S.C., Sections 107 and 512(f), commonly known as fair use.

I agree, that tracts like this are much needed, because in my experience I've found that many who profess Christianity are further from the truth than those who have never heard of it.

Reactions: JLB
They don't.

This one is by a private publisher, made under Title 17 U.S.C., Sections 107 and 512(f), commonly known as fair use.

I agree, that tracts like this are much needed, because in my experience I've found that many who profess Christianity are further from the truth than those who have never heard of it.
I don't know why that is, but I think it's perhaps simply due to this time being the latter days of this last generation, wherein it appears that the work of Satan is ever increasing, and the love of most is ever decreasing...

A lot of good stuff in that book that gets ignored in Christian lives. Obedience and the threat of hell is a hard stone to consider, while in the same light to love one another, and to forgive each other. It seems that people see one side of the coin, to be obedient; or they see the other side of the coin to be loving.

The other thing on this book is the harsh warning hell. At least one member here on CF.net has a fear of hell because they've grown up with the fear that if we make one mistake, then God will throw us in hell. It's not an uncommon idea to think of God as your boss looking for what you've messed up to fire you over, or to think of God like a police officer charging you for your crimes and sending you to prison. I know God's love and still worry along these lines. What if I don't make it. Don't make the cut, wasn't obedient enough, or not enough of a Christian.

These are hard issues, and I think because of that they many times either get ignored by Christians, or Christians get divided over these issues. Judging a struggling Christian harshly for not being obedient, or casting obedience away and not even trying to be obedient anymore.

Anyways those are my thoughts so far. Sorry for the ramble.

These are Chick Tracts if I am not mistaken. I used to order "Charlie's Ants", "The Empty Tomb," and "This Was Your Life!"

However, I don't feel a lot of tracts from this company point people in the right direction. Some of the verses they use seem improperly placed to me. For some, the tract may be a brick of conviction, but it seems to be missing the point on God's law and why we need a savior in the first place. This is why I switched to tracts by Living Waters Publications.

Some of their tracts were a little intense and I don't appreciate that many use symbols for swear words - they should leave those out completely, in my opinion. Some of the artwork is disturbing and I wouldn't want a tract that a child could pick up to have disturbing pictures of occult characters like demons, vampires, werewolves, etc. This doesn't feel God honoring to me.

Not to mention I didn't change my address with Chick Tracts once and after like 3 moves they kept finding me and sending stuff, it got annoying. Their newsletters were a little extreme sometimes. They are super fed on the idea that the Catholic Church is the center of evil for the apocalypse. Yes, this was in their newsletters that they send out.

Chick seems to make a habit of using fear to convert others, and I don't agree with this tactic.

I do not recommend Chick Tracts, there are better alternatives.

A lot of good stuff in that book that gets ignored in Christian lives. Obedience and the threat of hell is a hard stone to consider, while in the same light to love one another, and to forgive each other. It seems that people see one side of the coin, to be obedient; or they see the other side of the coin to be loving.

The other thing on this book is the harsh warning hell. At least one member here on CF.net has a fear of hell because they've grown up with the fear that if we make one mistake, then God will throw us in hell. It's not an uncommon idea to think of God as your boss looking for what you've messed up to fire you over, or to think of God like a police officer charging you for your crimes and sending you to prison. I know God's love and still worry along these lines. What if I don't make it. Don't make the cut, wasn't obedient enough, or not enough of a Christian.

These are hard issues, and I think because of that they many times either get ignored by Christians, or Christians get divided over these issues. Judging a struggling Christian harshly for not being obedient, or casting obedience away and not even trying to be obedient anymore.

The Master and His disciples sum it up best:

"He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that obeyeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him." --John 3:36

"If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love. These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full. This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you. Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you." --John 15:9-14

"He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him." --1 John 2:4-5

"And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him." --Hebrews 5:9

So you see, dear brother, there is no dichotomy, for to love God is to keep His commandments.

The Son came into the world to reveal His Father to us, and to cause us to become the children of God, so that we, like Him, would do the will of His Father; and this is for all of us who have believed Him, that we must obey Him: this should not cause conflict in the natural heart, but should instead bring relief, that God has revealed Himself to men, and did so by His Son; that He may reconcile the world to Himself by begetting us by His own Spirit. This is the will of God, that the earth be filled by those begotten of Him: only then will righteousness reign in the earth, and that, forevermore.

These are Chick Tracts if I am not mistaken. I used to order "Charlie's Ants", "The Empty Tomb," and "This Was Your Life!"

However, I don't feel a lot of tracts from this company point people in the right direction. Some of the verses they use seem improperly placed to me. For some, the tract may be a brick of conviction, but it seems to be missing the point on God's law and why we need a savior in the first place. This is why I switched to tracts by Living Waters Publications.

Some of their tracts were a little intense and I don't appreciate that many use symbols for swear words - they should leave those out completely, in my opinion. Some of the artwork is disturbing and I wouldn't want a tract that a child could pick up to have disturbing pictures of occult characters like demons, vampires, werewolves, etc. This doesn't feel God honoring to me.

Not to mention I didn't change my address with Chick Tracts once and after like 3 moves they kept finding me and sending stuff, it got annoying. Their newsletters were a little extreme sometimes. They are super fed on the idea that the Catholic Church is the center of evil for the apocalypse. Yes, this was in their newsletters that they send out.

Chick seems to make a habit of using fear to convert others, and I don't agree with this tactic.

Sister, tho I agree with much of what you said, I must object to your comments about fear.

Sister, please understand, that the gospel is only relevant to those who already fear God--even if they are ignorant of God, for the report of salvation is only good news to those who fear destruction, and the granting of grace through Christ is only meaningful to those who fear judgment, etc.:

"Come and hear, all ye that fear God, and I will declare what he hath done for my soul." --Psalms 66:16

"Then Paul stood up, and beckoning with his hand said, Men of Israel, and ye that fear God, give audience." --Acts 13:16

"And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people, saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters." --Revelation 14:6-7

Without the fear of God no one can know their origin, nor their ending, nor what is right, nor what is wrong--to fear God is required for a sound mind:

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever." --Psalms 111:10

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction." --Proverbs 1:7

"The fear of the Lord is to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate." --Proverbs 8:13

Man is required to always be in the fear of the Lord:

"And now, Israel, what doth the Lord thy God require of thee, but to fear the Lord thy God, to walk in all his ways, and to love him, and to serve the Lord thy God with all thy heart and with all thy soul," --Deuteronomy 10:12

"Let not thine heart envy sinners: but be thou in the fear of the Lord all the day long." --Proverbs 23:17

"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man." --Ecclesiastes 12:13

The Lord commands us to fear God, and so do His disciples, as did the prophets:

"And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell." --Matthew 10:28

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the king." --2 Peter 2:17

"My son, fear thou the Lord and the king: and meddle not with them that are given to change:" --Proverbs 24:21

Only fools do not fear God, and the Gospel is not for fools:

"The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God." --Psalms 14:1

"The wicked, through the pride of his countenance, will not seek after God: God is not in all his thoughts." --Psalms 10:4

"Speak not in the ears of a fool: for he will despise the wisdom of thy words." --Proverbs 23:9

"As a dog returneth to his vomit, so a fool returneth to his folly." --Proverbs 26:11

"Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you." --Matthew 7:6

Fear is required, sister, for all of us, but especially for Christians.

Godspeed.

They are a kjvo .

Those are a cult like in how they see the kjv.

Sister, tho I agree with much of what you said, I must object to your comments about fear.

Sister, please understand, that the gospel is only relevant to those who already fear God--even if they are ignorant of God, for the report of salvation is only good news to those who fear destruction, and the granting of grace through Christ is only meaningful to those who fear judgment, etc.:

"Come and hear, all ye that fear God, and I will declare what he hath done for my soul." --Psalms 66:16

"Then Paul stood up, and beckoning with his hand said, Men of Israel, and ye that fear God, give audience." --Acts 13:16

"And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people, saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters." --Revelation 14:6-7

Without the fear of God no one can know their origin, nor their ending, nor what is right, nor what is wrong--to fear God is required for a sound mind:

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever." --Psalms 111:10

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction." --Proverbs 1:7

"The fear of the Lord is to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate." --Proverbs 8:13

Man is required to always be in the fear of the Lord:

"And now, Israel, what doth the Lord thy God require of thee, but to fear the Lord thy God, to walk in all his ways, and to love him, and to serve the Lord thy God with all thy heart and with all thy soul," --Deuteronomy 10:12

"Let not thine heart envy sinners: but be thou in the fear of the Lord all the day long." --Proverbs 23:17

"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man." --Ecclesiastes 12:13

The Lord commands us to fear God, and so do His disciples, as did the prophets:

"And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell." --Matthew 10:28

"Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the king." --2 Peter 2:17

"My son, fear thou the Lord and the king: and meddle not with them that are given to change:" --Proverbs 24:21

Only fools do not fear God, and the Gospel is not for fools:

"The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God." --Psalms 14:1

"The wicked, through the pride of his countenance, will not seek after God: God is not in all his thoughts." --Psalms 10:4

"Speak not in the ears of a fool: for he will despise the wisdom of thy words." --Proverbs 23:9

"As a dog returneth to his vomit, so a fool returneth to his folly." --Proverbs 26:11

"Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you." --Matthew 7:6

Fear is required, sister, for all of us, but especially for Christians.

Godspeed.

I think we are talking about different types of fear.

There is a healthy type of fear that we have concerning God. A fear out of respect. We know He could take our life at any time, for any reason. We don't run in a panic, though.

The type of fear I mean us making people feel afraid or have fear in a way they may avoid the gospel. Some of the artwork and depictions of demons/witches or violent scenarios like in the Chick tracts Back From the Dead?, Bad Bob!, Bewitched?, Boo!, Crazy Wolf, and Dark Dungeons to name a few. I don't feel that these types of drawings of occult and traumatic scenarios have any business being in a Christian tract.

There are ways to witness through apologetics and implementing a healthy fear of our Creator than scaring people with such sensitive scenarios.

I think we are talking about different types of fear.

There is a healthy type of fear that we have concerning God. A fear out of respect. We know He could take our life at any time, for any reason. We don't run in a panic, though.

The type of fear I mean us making people feel afraid or have fear in a way they may avoid the gospel. Some of the artwork and depictions of demons/witches or violent scenarios like in the Chick tracts Back From the Dead?, Bad Bob!, Bewitched?, Boo!, Crazy Wolf, and Dark Dungeons to name a few. I don't feel that these types of drawings of occult and traumatic scenarios have any business being in a Christian tract.

There are ways to witness through apologetics and implementing a healthy fear of our Creator than scaring people with such sensitive scenarios.
Yes, I agree with you concerning much of the art work in Chick Tracts, and messages: they are often grotesque and perverted, and often the doctrines implied are heretical...

Concerning fear, however, there is only one kind, and just like love, it can only be defined by it's context; e.g., some men love God, others love themselves, one is Godly love, the other is carnal love. --fear toward God is wise, fear toward men is folly.

The gospel only has meaning to those who fear God.

They are a kjvo .

Those are a cult like in how they see the kjv.
Yes, I very much agree with you.

I love the King James Version, I think it is the greatest translation of the Bible in English, but I do not consider it to be more than that.

I also like Casiodoro de Reina's Version (La Biblia Del Oso [1569]), and other ancient bibles, like Wycliff's, and Tyndale's, etc.: I find the old bibles to be the most consistent, and the best to use in defense of the faith.

--If you ever faced a Muslim apologist worth his salt, you would know, that all modern bibles are easily dismantled by the well informed Muslim, but they cannot, at all, cope with the harmony found in the ancient bibles, especially the King James Translation. That fact alone should warrant it's use.

Yes, I very much agree with you.

I love the King James Version, I think it is the greatest translation of the Bible in English, but I do not consider it to be more than that.

I also like Casiodoro de Reina's Version (La Biblia Del Oso [1569]), and other ancient bibles, like Wycliff's, and Tyndale's, etc.: I find the old bibles to be the most consistent, and the best to use in defense of the faith.

--If you ever faced a Muslim apologist worth his salt, you would know, that all modern bibles are easily dismantled by the well informed Muslim, but they cannot, at all, cope with the harmony found in the ancient bibles, especially the King James Translation. That fact alone should warrant it's use.
I,use the kjv but their are warts with it.

I find the ylt while hard to read great for debates on not picking.

Of course with Muslims ,I'm sure the non,Arabic speakers as I have been to Afghanistan aren't getting the literal translations from,Arabic ,Arabic isn't a common lounge there and while pashto,and dark,Persian have been influenced by Islam they aren't arabs.Iran isn't an Arab state though like any area held long enough by a Muslim influence they have the Arabic culture.

That's a thread

Concerning fear, however, there is only one kind, and just like love, it can only be defined by it's context; e.g., some men love God, others love themselves, one is Godly love, the other is carnal love. --fear toward God is wise, fear toward men is folly.

Not sure I can agree. You say there is only one kind of fear just like love (which is defined by it's context). There are many different types of love (Eros, Storge, Philia, and Agape) and they are all different. You have admitted there is more than one type of fear at that point so I am bit confused.

There is a good type of fear - the fear we have towards God. This is what you have mentioned a lot about. It is definitely an important type of fear. The Bible mentions a "spirit of fear" in 2 Timothy 1:7 that says: For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. (KJV)

The phrase "of fear" in the Greek is deilia, which means timidity, fearfulness, cowardice. A human type of fear we recognize as being afraid of something like the toilet paper at the store running out, the stock market crashing, having a much needed surgery, fear of other people because of a bad experience, etc. as some examples that may apply to some people out there.

So I think it's one thing to pose some hypothetical questions (if you died today, would you go to Heaven/Hell? Would you say you are a good person?) while applying God's laws and word to witness to others, but a different thing to show someone's dangling feet to imply they hung themselves, projecting the idea that people that play D&D are dangerous, showing drawn pentegrams with occult worshippers, etc. to get a God-loving message across. It seems counterproductive. It's one thing for a person to share a personal testimony with audience discretion to share what the Lord did for them and how He pulled them out of darkness and another for these to be handed out freely with disturbing content that we don't know if it is fiction to make people scared or what. I suppose I worry for some of those tracts getting in the hands of children and it may scare them and they avoid the gospel or better tracts in the future because they got the wrong interpretation. I am not sure why Chick can't make them all more viewer friendly like Charlie's Ants or My Best Friend.

I suppose that is how I see it.

Not sure I can agree. You say there is only one kind of fear just like love (which is defined by it's context). There are many different types of love (Eros, Storge, Philia, and Agape) and they are all different. You have admitted there is more than one type of fear at that point so I am bit confused.

There is a good type of fear - the fear we have towards God. This is what you have mentioned a lot about. It is definitely an important type of fear. The Bible mentions a "spirit of fear" in 2 Timothy 1:7 that says: For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. (KJV)

The phrase "of fear" in the Greek is deilia, which means timidity, fearfulness, cowardice. A human type of fear we recognize as being afraid of something like the toilet paper at the store running out, the stock market crashing, having a much needed surgery, fear of other people because of a bad experience, etc. as some examples that may apply to some people out there.

So I think it's one thing to pose some hypothetical questions (if you died today, would you go to Heaven/Hell? Would you say you are a good person?) while applying God's laws and word to witness to others, but a different thing to show someone's dangling feet to imply they hung themselves, projecting the idea that people that play D&D are dangerous, showing drawn pentegrams with occult worshippers, etc. to get a God-loving message across. It seems counterproductive. It's one thing for a person to share a personal testimony with audience discretion to share what the Lord did for them and how He pulled them out of darkness and another for these to be handed out freely with disturbing content that we don't know if it is fiction to make people scared or what. I suppose I worry for some of those tracts getting in the hands of children and it may scare them and they avoid the gospel or better tracts in the future because they got the wrong interpretation. I am not sure why Chick can't make them all more viewer friendly like Charlie's Ants or My Best Friend.

I suppose that is how I see it.
Like I said before, sister, I agree very much with you about those concerns, but concerning fear, hate, hope, or any other emotion men can feel, they are all defined by their context. Further examples: hope in Christ is Godly hope, and it saves us, yet hope in riches is ungodly hope, and it condemns us; hate towards evil is Godly hate, and it make us wise, yet hate towards good is ungodly hate, and it makes us fools, etc.

All the many words for love, or hate, etc., cannot alter the fact that the meanings, whether it be that of words in a sentence or, of expressions of the face or, of the emotions of our souls, they are all known by the contexts in which they are conceived, and the contexts in which they are manifest: context is everything--articulation is impossible without it.

Godspeed.

I understand.

I think once a Christian, especially a new one, realizes what it means to be under the grace of God through Christ, their fear of Hell for making mistakes is eliminated, and their love of God for changing their fate is ignited.

Christ did not come to condemn us, but to save us: Satan tries to confuse this simple message by getting people to misunderstand the gospel.

Christians obey Christ because they love Him, period.

There is no condemnation to those who are in Christ.

Those of us who have chosen to obey God will find the peace of Christ (which passes all understanding), for God has commanded everyone to obey His Son, and in doing so, we will save ourselves, and those who believe us, that Christ is the Master of the universe.

So be at peace, dear brother, concerning the ignorance of others, and only grow in the grace that Christ provides, so that you may shine the light of Christ on those who are still in the darkness of ignorance.

And remember, He will draw them to you, those whom He foreknew, before the world was, so that you can help them to grow like you: this is the will of God, that men love one another, as Christ loved us: this is how you will build for yourself treasure in heaven.

What do you guys think about this comic book?

All opinions are welcome!
seems like the comic book is written to those who think they are christians even though they don't walk close with God

in that case it is a good message for those kind of people

imo the best way to draw people toward a sincere relationship with God is to have one ourselves

that way people will see God is real and personal and perhaps chose God for themselves

God bless you -

Last edited:
Back