Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

ChristianForums.Net Who's Who

Greetings, all.

A new member just joined and it dawned on me that having a brief synopsis of the beliefs or denominational affiliations of active members here might help new members with potentially identifying someone they have similar beliefs with, as well as more clearly understand the theological backgrounds behind which many of the regulars post.

My own: I was Baptist for a time, but have been Pentecostal in my theology for the last 30 years, though I currently do not have a church or claim affiliation with any particular denomination. Most of my time is spent writing Bible Studies with a heavy emphasis on the spiritual war, and all things supernatural. As far as involvement, I prefer discussions of a more scholarly sort which involve exacting analysis of the original texts, but I will also participate in pretty much any religious discussion I find interesting or pertinent theologically.

Will tag a few actives that come immediately to mind, and add others later should this thread receive responses.
Blessings in Christ,
Hidden In Him

stovebolts, for_his_glory, JLB, Tenchi, jasonc, Jethro Bodine, Christ_empowered, Edward, Free, wondering, jaybo, Barbarian, Ben Avraham, D-D-W,
Great idea :thumbsup

Been thinking about how to present myself in the event someone else is looking for a person with my background to talk with. The books that influenced me were CS Lewis (the reasonableness of our faith), AW Tozer (the passion for God Himself) and Francis Schaeffer (modern relative thinking needs to be abandoned for absolute thinking.) I am over 60 and have been walking with the Lord since childhood. The passion of my younger years was to know God and make Him known. I did not think of that myself but borrowed it as the star by which I steer the ship of my life's choices. It is still my heartbeat although I have gained more in understanding God Himself, his ways and dealings with man that I ever thought possible in my younger and yearning years. In coming to know Him, I have a burning passion for Him. This is not for salvation as I have grown way beyond that milk, but for God Himself such that if there were no Heaven, no eternal life, I would still walk with Him the same as that alone is worth the price. Doesn't that do him more honor than loving Him for what he gives?

I trained as a scientist and that training taught me to test theories including theological ones in the pursuit of truth. So when someone tells me something theological, I test it to see if these things be so. My training also taught me to think beyond the limit of words and what is implied. If this is true, then that is also true. I am not a lawyer trained to stick to the words alone. And so it is common for me to think about the scripture and very common to ask God for answers.

You see, when I was a child I started hearing from God and talking to Him. I had not heard that God no longer speaks to people because we have the scriptures and so when God started talking to me I responded. I did not know any better. I fanned the flame of that interaction, as Tozer would say, until it became the biggest thing in my life, hearing the voice of God. So I am not exaggerating when I say that I know the voice of God. I don't always obey it to my shame, but I do know it more or less. It is the greatest pleasure in the whole of my walking with Him, hearing His voice. It is greater than his presence as it imparts intellectual material that results in loving Him with my mind. He explains things to me that I want to know, but I do have to ask and so what I know is limited.

So if someone is yearning to know and understand God, perhaps I can help.

I was raised Church of Christ, but I do not identify as such (that's honestly a rant in itself for another time). I consider myself a non-denominational Christian - a person trying to follow God's laws and word to the best of my ability. Still trying to find a church where my family is welcome in our area. We haven't had the best of luck with that lately, but we're hopeful that something will come up at some point.

I've spent a lot of my time in the past on other websites that don't have large God/Jesus-believing populations, trying to spread the good news of Jesus Christ. I do enjoy writing my own sermons, even if I may never get to fully preach them one day, it's something that's fun and helps me retain memory of the Holy Bible so I try to make it a habit.

While I struggle on and off with my faith and chronic illness, I'm trying to hang in there and hope for better days ahead.

Back